ADVERTISEMENT

Just before I got outta bed this morning . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
. . . I heard an explosion that shook our windows . . . and haven't heard any sirens yet. What causes that big of an explosion but doesn't cause sirens to follow?

And no, the answer isn't "brussel sprouts" . . . .

Hey, did your area get salt and sand in sufficient amounts? Wasn't it your area about three to four years ago that had lots of problems because they didn't have any?

That was an ice storm . . . light rain coming from a warm front positioned over the top of extremely cold air - 19 degrees - left us with between a quarter of an inch to three-quarters of an inch of solid ice, and it stuck around for several days. Took me 10 hours to drive 23 miles home from work. Took my wife 2 hours to drive 4.5 miles from her school . . . she had 4 wheel drive, but most of those in front of her didn't.

Likely. But I figured all those that were susceptible to blowing had already done so in the 11 inch show storm we had two weeks ago.
It's normally not the transformer that blows. It is the fuse that protects the transformer that blows. That can happen on the most beautiful, sunny day if an unfortunate squirrel gets in the wrong position on the transformer. It sounds like a shotgun blast. I doubt that it would shake windows unless very near your house.

As Largemouth suggested, a sonic boom will shake windows in a major way. Years ago, I witnessed a sonic boom knock an empty glass coffee pot off a shelf onto the floor.

It's normally not the transformer that blows. It is the fuse that protects the transformer that blows. That can happen on the most beautiful, sunny day if an unfortunate squirrel gets in the wrong position on the transformer. It sounds like a shotgun blast. I doubt that it would shake windows unless very near your house.

As Largemouth suggested, a sonic boom will shake windows in a major way. Years ago, I witnessed a sonic boom knock an empty glass coffee pot off a shelf onto the floor.
Thanks Brock. I'm actually familiar with sonic booms, and this wasn't that. It was more like the shotgun description you gave . . . . might've been a squirrel . . . if so, some coyote or some local crows will be eating fine today.

Thanks Brock. I'm actually familiar with sonic booms, and this wasn't that. It was more like the shotgun description you gave . . . . might've been a squirrel . . . if so, some coyote or some local crows will be eating fine today.

“Squirrel burgoo” - for the less finicky, and quick

Got any neighbors who do any iron work? If so a "pillow bomb" firework is never to be a discounted source of a high decibel boom at any hour of the day or night;)

Without going into detail, let's just say that certain combustible gases temporarily contianed within in a confined space [such as a garbage bag] can create a sound mimicking a large scale natural gas explosion [provided the ignitee does not give himself an ultra hot lather facial minus the lather...].

While the above makes for an extraordinary "firework" the local (and now national) constabulary frown on it a bit these days, to say the least...

Ah, the good old days, when the worst thing that could happen when making your own fireworks was simply blowing yourself up...;)

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT