ADVERTISEMENT

Juneteenth Raises A Different Question

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Should the US have a holiday which celebrates the actual, full-blown end of slavery ala the December 6, 1865 ratification of the 13th Amendment?

Juneteenth celebrates the Emancipation Proclamation being announced as “now in force” in Texas after the last Union/Confederate battle there in June 1865, but the Emancipation Proclamation arguably lost its force once the end of hostilities came, despite Lincoln’s “now and forever free” language.

Do other nations celebrate the end of slavery in their countries?

Should the US have a holiday which celebrates the actual, full-blown end of slavery ala the December 6, 1865 ratification of the 13th Amendment?

Juneteenth celebrates the Emancipation Proclamation being announced as “now in force” in Texas after the last Union/Confederate battle there in June 1865, but the Emancipation Proclamation arguably lost its force once the end of hostilities came, despite Lincoln’s “now and forever free” language.

The freed slaves and their descendants decided to celebrate Juneteenth. I say they should have the final word on the subject.

The freed slaves and their descendants decided to celebrate Juneteenth. I say they should have the final word on the subject.

First, they celebrate different events. The Constitutional banning of slavery was more significant nationally than the announcement that the EP was to be enforced in Texas.

Second, Juneteenth is not an official US holiday. There is not now a national “recognition” or celebration of the actual and total national end of it.

Pick Juneteenth or pick 12/6. Whatever. But wouldn’t a National day be a(nother) step of reconciliation?

Reactions: vesuvius13
FWIW, Juneteenth is an observed holiday at our firm. Our offices will be closed on Friday. It is also an official holiday in the city of Cincinnati as well as Hamilton County (Ohio), not to mention many other locations. It is only a matter of time before it becomes an official holiday nationwide, as it should be.

I once worked a job where Flag Day (June 14) was a paid holiday. The union had successfully negotiated for it, as it provided another summer holiday.

Pick Juneteenth or pick 12/6. Whatever. But wouldn’t a National day be a(nother) step of reconciliation?

FWIW, Juneteenth is an observed holiday at our firm. Our offices will be closed on Friday. It is also an official holiday in the city of Cincinnati as well as Hamilton County (Ohio), not to mention many other locations. It is only a matter of time before it becomes an official holiday nationwide, as it should be.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Remember how controversial the MLK birthday holiday was?

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Remember how controversial the MLK birthday holiday was?
Stll don't have MLK day off generally at my job. However, they did add a "floating holiday" which can be used for anything.

I'm thinking a random friday sometime this summer.

nobody I know is celebrating it except the Delaware SoS… and they claim to be “business-friendly”

Good for you. I don't actually get to enjoy them anyway, so for me, less is more.
Well it remains to be seen how my company handles it. As I've mentioned, we currently don't get MLK day but do allow a "floating holiday" instead. I'll take another one of those if we end up not taking it specifically.

PS. Which is dumb anyway b/c i have like 320 hours of vacation that is unused. I told my boss if you see me start taking a ton of vacation it's b/c I'm leaving (we can only get 80 hours paid if we leave).

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
So Johnson lifted his filibuster and the Senate approved Juneteenth, and the House will approve it today. We've got the holiday CO has been pushing. It will be interesting to see how it is celebrated. MLK day became a day of service, "A day on, not a day off" which I think was a great idea (though January really makes a lot of service difficult).

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Independence Day should also be July 2nd, when the Declaration was made & approved, rather rather than July 4th, when it was publicly posted. But July 4th is just fine like it is, as is Juneteenth. No white-splaining needed.

I think we should celebrate the end of the slavery. I don't care what date is used. It marks a turn in the right direction in human history, doesn't it? Isn't that something worth celebrating?

Well it remains to be seen how my company handles it. As I've mentioned, we currently don't get MLK day but do allow a "floating holiday" instead. I'll take another one of those if we end up not taking it specifically.

PS. Which is dumb anyway b/c i have like 320 hours of vacation that is unused. I told my boss if you see me start taking a ton of vacation it's b/c I'm leaving (we can only get 80 hours paid if we leave).

I haven’t kept track for years because you never get to take enough real vacation in this line of work

Reactions: larsIU
Bump for the stupid decision to enact a Federal holiday with less than a day's notice.

Federal employees now have, on average, 44 paid days off - 10 holidays, 13 paid sick days and slightly more than 4 weeks of paid vacation.

Federal employees now have, on average, 44 paid days off - 10 holidays, 13 paid sick days and slightly more than 4 weeks of paid vacation.
That’s insane. Almost 9 full weeks. Wtf. That’s about 2 million people

Last edited:
Yeah, but I've heard the pay isn't great. I have nothing to back that up other than the usual rumor, conjecture, and hearsay.

the concept behind the holiday is great, and overdue as it literally represents independence day for blacks.

that said, they could have done a infinitely better job naming it.

Emancipation Day would be much better imo, regardless of what day they decide to celebrate it.

as for the date, a holiday in June works much better than one between Thanksgiving and Christmas, with New Years days after.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
General schedule. You can look it up
Just did. Not terrible but not really at private sector levels. Also, good luck figuring out from the job title what people do. Also Also, not unlike the private sector, their jobs website is terrible.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Just did. Not terrible but not really at private sector levels. Also, good luck figuring out from the job title what people do. Also Also, not unlike the private sector, their jobs website is terrible.
Agreed. I know a couple social security aljs. Both make 160k. Tons of time off. At this point they can do it in their sleep. Not loads of money but pretty cushy with benes/pension etc

Reactions: larsIU
werent all of the Federal offices and employees closed?
USPS open.

3ab1724218b2428c5f5ab42fd2154aa8.jpg

I just wish it celebrated the end of slavery everywhere, not just enforcement of the EP in Texas. But nobody in the race baiting business gives a real crap about it, so a lesser-meaning gesture will have to suffice.

Juneteenth represents the day that freedom was fully realized, not just declared.
Wrong.

Juneteenth marks the day the last Confederate army still fighting - in Texas - surrendered in June 1865, 2 months after Lee, and the commanding Union General publicly announced that the Emancipation Proclamation was thencefore in force in Texas (as in other southern states where the rebellion had been ended). But there was substantial question about the legality of the EP - especially once the war ended and Lincoln was no longer exercising powers if a Commander in Chief, and it never freed slaves in the north (ask Dred Scott) or in border states that never were in rebellion, or in places like East Tennessee, where folks stayed loyal to the union, etc.

Slavery was legally ended in total by the ratification of the 13th Amendment, which also made legal challenges to the EP moot.

Juneteenth spread from Texas and became celebrated by freedmen generally because no other national celebration was set up by government.

Now its been codified as usual - by vote whores pandering for votes and counting on sycophants to buy thier bullshit again and again and again. Looks like they were right. Again.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Wrong.

Juneteenth marks the day the last Confederate army still fighting - in Texas - surrendered in June 1865, 2 months after Lee, and the commanding Union General publicly announced that the Emancipation Proclamation was thencefore in force in Texas (as in other southern states where the rebellion had been ended). But there was substantial question about the legality of the EP - especially once the war ended and Lincoln was no longer exercising powers if a Commander in Chief, and it never freed slaves in the north (ask Dred Scott) or in border states that never were in rebellion, or in places like East Tennessee, where folks stayed loyal to the union, etc.

Slavery was legally ended in total by the ratification of the 13th Amendment, which also made legal challenges to the EP moot.

Juneteenth spread from Texas and became celebrated by freedmen generally because no other national celebration was set up by government.

Now its been codified as usual - by vote whores pandering for votes and counting on sycophants to buy thier bullshit again and again and again. Looks like they were right. Again.
So what's your problem, exactly? You don't think it should be celebrated?

For whatever historical events led to it, African Americans have settled on Juneteenth as the celebration of the end of slavery. You want to pick nits about it? Why? What possible problem could you have with this?

As I said before, Juneteenth was what the freedmen and their decendants chose to celebrate, and that's good enough for me.
You're such a hateful bastard. How dare those ungrateful African Americans decide what they want to celebrate and when?

As I said before, Juneteenth was what the freedmen and their decendants chose to celebrate, and that's good enough for me.

You're such a hateful bastard. How dare those ungrateful African Americans decide what they want to celebrate and when?
It seems to me MTIOTF isn't really mad at blacks for picking a stupid day. He's really just mad at Democrats for pandering to their wrong choice.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why that makes it any better, or why MTIOTF didn't look in a mirror and immediately hate himself for starting this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT