ADVERTISEMENT

Juneteenth Raises A Different Question

Do you know where Dred Scott claimed to become free? Do you know what the Dred Scott decision meant to a slave in a slave state? You familiar with the Fugitive Slave Act?

Your claim that the last slave states freed their slaves on June 19th, 1865 is one of the dumbest things you have ever posted - and THAT is a high bar.

By 1/1/1863, when the EP took effect, slaves in southern Missouri, nearly half of Arkansas, half of Tennessee, and a bit of coastal North Carolina lived in areas no longer "in rebellion" - and were not freed from bondage by the EP. Low estimate - 500,000. They were not made free on June 19th because a Confederate army in Texas surrendered. If the EP had had that effect, Lincoln would not have fought so hard so early for the 13th Amendment. He knew damn well that it had to be passed and ratified BEFORE the end of the war or the slevaes would NEVER be free - because the slaves states would return to the Union and try and to block it.

Like I said - you fellas just want to oppose anything I say because I'm not a Dimocrat and not in the Unithink Club you joined.

Map10-28.jpg

The rest of your comment is just "look - over there" - because you can't really refute history or facts.

Am I surprised you think historical facts are a "semantical game"? No.

Am I surprised you are happy to give African-Americans half-a-loaf while telling them how many loaves others oughta give them? Again, no.

Just another standard play from youse guys. "We love ya brother - as long as you stay outta our neighborhoods and schools!"
Guess which Dimocrat said this: "I did something good: I made Juneteenth very famous. It’s actually an important event, an important time. But nobody had ever heard of it until I mentioned it."

Well, get in your time machine, go back to Texas, and sell your logic to the African-American people that have been celebrating Juneteenth on June 19, since 1866.

Dear God, you are strange.
Texas is a perfect place to celebrate Juneteenth. THE place. Texas is the ONLY place that the June 19, 1865 order and announcement actually “freed” anybody.

Texas is a perfect place to celebrate Juneteenth. THE place. Texas is the ONLY place that the June 19, 1865 order and announcement actually “freed” anybody.

Naming it a Federal Holiday only codifies what has been a Texas holiday for generations.
I don't get your opposition...

You’re not interested in whether the nation that infected ours with slavery and then outlawed it in their own country celebrates the end of slavery with a national holiday?Do tell. Bless your heart.

I guess we should put more thought in our choice of beer and the best internet insults than tedious meaningless things like ending and remedying slavery.

Then again, I guess a half-assed solution is improvement over the Demwit’s typical “help.”

Well done good and faithless servants! Another 150 years and they might actually get something, anything, just even one thing, right.

Nope. Not interested in what the Brits celebrate.

Why do you care so much about this? Let AAs decide when to celebrate emancipation.

You can celebrate on whatever date you deem appropriate.

Reactions: DrHoops
Guess which Dimocrat said this: "I did something good: I made Juneteenth very famous. It’s actually an important event, an important time. But nobody had ever heard of it until I mentioned it."
You seem to be in the wrong boat, rowing the wrong way. Put on your life preserver. (It’s the steel thing at the end of the chain. Just put the chain around your neck and hold the big thing. Now get out of the boat and walk across the water to the shore.)

Somebody has been reading excerpts from the new Trump whinefest by Michael Bender.
Seriously, how could anyone vote for this cretin in good conscience? I don't get it...

Reactions: DrHoops
Should the US have a holiday which celebrates the actual, full-blown end of slavery ala the December 6, 1865 ratification of the 13th Amendment?

Juneteenth celebrates the Emancipation Proclamation being announced as “now in force” in Texas after the last Union/Confederate battle there in June 1865, but the Emancipation Proclamation arguably lost its force once the end of hostilities came, despite Lincoln’s “now and forever free” language.

Do other nations celebrate the end of slavery in their countries?
There is something for everyone to note on June 19th

On June 19th, 1953, the traitorous spies Julius and Ethel (Greenglass) Rosenberg were executed in the electric chair at Sing Sing prison, in Ossining, New York.

They recruited and directed a spy network targeting the US nuclear weapons program.

Her brother testified against her, and served nine years in federal prison.

Back in the day, traitors were executed.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
You’re not interested in whether the nation that infected ours with slavery and then outlawed it in their own country celebrates the end of slavery with a national holiday?Do tell. Bless your heart.

I guess we should put more thought in our choice of beer and the best internet insults than tedious meaningless things like ending and remedying slavery.

Then again, I guess a half-assed solution is improvement over the Demwit’s typical “help.”

Well done good and faithless servants! Another 150 years and they might actually get something, anything, just even one thing, right.
Britain and Portugal were two of the biggest offenders when it came to slavery. But neither really utilized slavery much within their own borders. Most of the slaves Britain imported from Africa they sent to their colonies, like America and the Caribbean. With Portugal the main slave destination was Brazil...

So to answer your question, most of Britain's former colonies do celebrate the end of slavery. Trinidad actually outlawed slavery by 1805, and the entire Empire followed by way of the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833. Just as Trinidad was the first colony to abolish slavery, they were also the first to establish a holiday commemorating the event in 1985.

In Brazil, the end of slavery came later than anywhere else in the Americas in 1888. But Brazil was quicker to try and reckon with its past than the US. Carnival is in many ways a celebration of cultural diversity in Brazil, and Nov 20 is also known as Black Awareness Day...

Britain and Portugal were two of the biggest offenders when it came to slavery. But neither really utilized slavery much within their own borders. Most of the slaves Britain imported from Africa they sent to their colonies, like America and the Caribbean. With Portugal the main slave destination was Brazil...

So to answer your question, most of Britain's former colonies do celebrate the end of slavery. Trinidad actually outlawed slavery by 1805, and the entire Empire followed by way of the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833. Just as Trinidad was the first colony to abolish slavery, they were also the first to establish a holiday commemorating the event in 1985.

In Brazil, the end of slavery came later than anywhere else in the Americas in 1888. But Brazil was quicker to try and reckon with its past than the US. Carnival is in many ways a celebration of cultural diversity in Brazil, and Nov 20 is also known as Black Awareness Day...
I wondered when someone was going to bring that up. It still doesn't matter. Juneteenth is the holiday that has organically developed among the African American community to celebrate the end of slavery. Only a cranky old jackass would try to argue that the holiday is somehow less meaningful because it's the "wrong" day.

No one should be trying to argue with MTIOTF that he's incorrect. Everyone should only be pointing and laughing at him.

Second, Juneteenth is not an official US holiday. There is not now a national “recognition” or celebration of the actual and total national end of it.

Pick Juneteenth or pick 12/6. Whatever. But wouldn’t a National day be a(nother) step of reconciliation?
I don't think anything is better evidence of your cranky trolling than the shift you took between posting the above on Monday and what you say now a few days later since the feds did, in fact, recognize it nationally and take that "step of reconciliation."

Well, get in your time machine, go back to Texas, and sell your logic to the African-American people that have been celebrating Juneteenth on June 19, since 1866.

Dear God, you are strange.
It’s obvious you don’t take defeat well. But keep up your good work. I want to read more MTIOTF comments. Your debate attempt is awesome, because I get to read more of him. Hang in there sunshine.

***edit- That your/ you’re thang. Nuff said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57
I don't think anything is better evidence of your cranky trolling than the shift you took between posting the above on Monday and what you say now a few days later since the feds did, in fact, recognize it nationally and take that "step of reconciliation."
If I had known they were about to misrepresent history, I’d have stopped it.

But Biden probably doesn’t know history any better than you and Half-a-Loaf Hoops.

pander on

But Biden probably doesn’t know history any better than you and Half-a-Loaf Hoops.

pander on
That's patent nonsense and you know it. Your post then was entirely incompatible with your stance now. You bitched for the sake of bitching, and when your reason for bitching disappeared, you found a different reason to bitch, and now you pretend that was the reason all along.

All the hallmarks of a cranky partisan hack who doesn't stand for anything except hating the Other Team. But, hey, if that's what gives you pleasure in the waning years of your life, more power to you. I'd hate for you to actually spend any effort to, you know, develop or grow as a human being or some waste of time like that.

It’s obvious you don’t take defeat well. But keep up your good work. I want to read more MTIOTF comments. Your debate attempt is awesome, because I get to read more of him. Hang in there sunshine.

***edit- That your/ you’re thang. Nuff said.

Last I checked Juneteenth is still on June 19th.

All the hallmarks of a cranky partisan hack who doesn't stand for anything except hating the Other Team. But, hey, if that's what gives you pleasure in the waning years of your life, more power to you. I'd hate for you to actually spend any effort to, you know, develop or grow as a human being or some waste of time like that.
Could be your future, Goat. I'm sure MTIOTF was an idealistic young lawyer once.

:)

That's patent nonsense and you know it. Your post then was entirely incompatible with your stance now. You bitched for the sake of bitching, and when your reason for bitching disappeared, you found a different reason to bitch, and now you pretend that was the reason all along.

@MyTeamIsOnTheFloor. Now you’re a miserable human being. Get woke and broke like goat. It’s the only way man.

Stop trying to think before you hurt yourself.

I said the Juneteenth celebration made me think we needed a national holiday to celebrate the end of slavery.

Only dumbasses like you and Hoops thought Juneteenth and the end of slavery were the same thing.

Then you people did what you always do - look for a way to imply a racism insult into everything.

As for my life, I’m killing it. If I could just fight the urge and stop arguing with stupid people here, I’d be even happier. Really looking forward to Independence Day on August 3rd.

I said the Juneteenth celebration made me think we needed a national holiday to celebrate the end of slavery.

Only dumbasses like you and Hoops thought Juneteenth and the end of slavery were the same thing.

Then you people did what you always do - look for a way to imply a racism insult into everything.

As for my life, I’m killing it. If I could just fight the urge and stop arguing with stupid people here, I’d be even happier. Really looking forward to Independence Day on August 3rd.
Are you going to work as hard on Thanksgiving now too?

Also, point out any of my posts that mention racism. I'm intrigued.

I didn't even come close to implying racism. I didn't even hint at it. I only implied stupidity. Why do you bring racism into it?

pander on
Dude Trump wanted to hold his Tulsa rally ON Juneteenth. The new book by Bender reveals that Trump only conceded and switched dates after a Black Secret Service Agent told him point-blank to his face that to rally in Tulsa on Juneteenth would set a new standard for OFFENSIVE.

Dude Trump wanted to hold his Tulsa rally ON Juneteenth. The new book by Bender reveals that Trump only conceded and switched dates after a Black Secret Service Agent told him point-blank to his face that to rally in Tulsa on Juneteenth would set a new standard for OFFENSIVE.
This guy is a peach, I mean seriously he has no shame. This is as bad as the GOP members who voted against Biden's stimulus relief and then went back to their districts and touted their "support" for various elements of it...

Glad to see the people of Wisconsin aren't falling for his bullshit...

"Sen. Ron Johnson was booed at an event celebrating Juneteenth in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Saturday, WDJT reported."

Juneteenth certainly raised the ire of SC Congressman Ralph Norman, who apparently feels that Blacks, as well as Native Americans, should be satisfied with all the white holidays. Apparently, Blacks should be satisfied with celebrating Independence day on July 4, even though the people who declared their "Independence" and claimed to create a nation where "all men are free" didn't see fit to actually apply that to Black slaves, or the Native Americans who they ended up virtually wiping out...

How come idiots like this never seem to grasp that finally giving folks who weren't free until nearly a century after the US originally proclaimed their Independence a way to celebrate that Freedom, is actually a great service (long overdue) that actually goes far towards correcting some of this nation's worst sins. Finally, people of color were welcomed to the fold when it came to FREEDOM. The Promise of Freedom actually became a historical reality- that's a GOOD thing...

And check out this convoluted double speak...

"There's one Fourth of July. There's one birthday ... Independence Day is Fourth of July. And I had a lot of negativity on it. But this was an easy 'no' vote," he said. "The fact that they would try to make race a part of it, it had nothing to do with race."

So "they" tried to make "race" a part of it...
But in his very next paragraph, HE is the one that does exactly that,and makes it a racial issue...

He added: "How many holidays do we want? What's the magic number? This would put it to eleven. Do we want twenty? Are we going to do one for the Native American Indians? I mean, where does it stop?"

But he wants you to be sure and know, he ain't no racist...LOL...

Guess his appearance on FOX to spout this nonsense is just a coincidence
Celebrating the end of slavery (whatever you call the holiday) isn't about conceding anything to the anti-American crowd, it's about celebrating a major milestone for our country progressing towards meeting the ideals laid out in the Declaration.
If anything, patriotic Americans would be right to seize on the holiday and celebrate it as evidence of how far we have come and what a great country we have become. Americans should not ignore our past (good and bad), but we also don't let it define our present or future.

Like Goat said, for once you'd be right. And you wouldn't have started this stupid thread in the first place...

So did you oppose the establishment of Black History Month, because you felt only 11 months of the year devoted to promoting white history was reverse racism?
The other 11 months are not devoted to "white history".

The other 11 months are not devoted to "white history".

They must be allowed to label things "black" and "white" and such.
If you don't let Lefty Lumpers use their labels, they are lost.
200.gif

Only racists consider both "blacks" and "whites" to be "people."
Gotta separate and divide or the Guiding Stereotypes won't work.
Mantra mantra oooommmm.

Reactions: jet812
ADVERTISEMENT