ADVERTISEMENT

Juneteenth Raises A Different Question

As I said before, Juneteenth was what the freedmen and their decendants chose to celebrate, and that's good enough for me.

You're such a hateful bastard. How dare those ungrateful African Americans decide what they want to celebrate and when?
You equate the African American celebration with the Vote Whores mis-establishing a formal holiday 150 years later.

They are not the same thing.

Im not surprised at your inability to understand, or your substitution of lame insults for any meaningful response. You have helped dishonor millions of slaves who were not helped by the Emancipation Proclamation whatsoever, and are not honored by this holiday.

Keep,up,the,work.

You equate the African American celebration with the Vote Whores mis-establishing a formal holiday 150 years later.

They are not the same thing.

Im not surprised at your inability to understand, or your substitution of lame insults for any meaningful response. You have helped dishonor millions of slaves who were not helped by the Emancipation Proclamation whatsoever, and are not honored by this holiday.

Keep,up,the,work.
LOL. Yeah, I'm sure those slaves and their descendants are dishonored by Mark's defense of their chosen holiday, and not at all dishonored by you whitesplaining why their choice is stupid.

LOL. Yeah, I'm sure those slaves and their descendants are dishonored by Mark's defense of their chosen holiday, and not at all dishonored by you whitesplaining why their choice is stupid.
Thank you. I was trying to come up with a succinct reply and you said it better than I could have.

Thank you. I was trying to come up with a succinct reply and you said it better than I could have.
This shouldn't even be a discussion. If African Americans had organically coalesced around October 3rd as the celebration of the end of slavery, and the only reason anyone could find for it was that the weather in early October is generally nice, then that should have been the holiday. Criticizing the date is about the lamest thing anyone could possibly do.

Reactions: outside shooter
This shouldn't even be a discussion. If African Americans had organically coalesced around October 3rd as the celebration of the end of slavery, and the only reason anyone could find for it was that the weather in early October is generally nice, then that should have been the holiday. Criticizing the date is about the lamest thing anyone could possibly do.
MTIOTF's whole POV on this "question" is legalistic, condescending, and paternalistic. He then has the unmitigated gall to insert "vote whores" into the conversation, as if those who supported the measure somehow sold out to the ignorant African Americans pushing for this long overdue declaration. I was going to point out that it got unanmous support in the Senate and all but 12 Republican House votes, but then figured I'd save my breath.

I'm usually quite capable of getting my point across in a compact, coherent fashion, but this one had me flummoxed. It's similar to my reaction to seeing a wall smeared with shit. It's hard to put into words.

Juneteenth got support in TEXAS in the 1970s. How many decades behind is Indiana? Can I still get 8 tracks at the truck stops?

MTIOTF's whole POV on this "question" is legalistic, condescending, and paternalistic. He then has the unmitigated gall to insert "vote whores" into the conversation, as if those who supported the measure somehow sold out to the ignorant African Americans pushing for this long overdue declaration. I was going to point out that it got unanmous support in the Senate and all but 12 Republican House votes, but then figured I'd save my breath.

I'm usually quite capable of getting my point across in a compact, coherent fashion, but this one had me flummoxed. It's similar to my reaction to seeing a wall smeared with shit. It's hard to put into words.
Like people who bitch about Christmas in December?

You stupid pricks are just wanting to oppose me. If I was for this holiday, you’d be against it.

History is a joke to you.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
You stupid pricks are just wanting to oppose me. If I was for this holiday, you’d be against it.

Don't flatter yourself. Your opinions have no bearing on mine. Unless, of course, they're convincing enough to have an impact. Which they're not, at least in this case. In this case you're just being a douchebag.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Nah, Juneteenth is just fine.

Don't know, don't care.
You’re not interested in whether the nation that infected ours with slavery and then outlawed it in their own country celebrates the end of slavery with a national holiday?Do tell. Bless your heart.

I guess we should put more thought in our choice of beer and the best internet insults than tedious meaningless things like ending and remedying slavery.

Then again, I guess a half-assed solution is improvement over the Demwit’s typical “help.”

Well done good and faithless servants! Another 150 years and they might actually get something, anything, just even one thing, right.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Should the US have a holiday which celebrates the actual, full-blown end of slavery ala the December 6, 1865 ratification of the 13th Amendment?

Juneteenth celebrates the Emancipation Proclamation being announced as “now in force” in Texas after the last Union/Confederate battle there in June 1865, but the Emancipation Proclamation arguably lost its force once the end of hostilities came, despite Lincoln’s “now and forever free” language.

Do other nations celebrate the end of slavery in their countries?

What does it matter what other countries do?

If taxation without representation means one is not free, should not the free date celebrated be the Voting Rights Act?

If the oppressed community gets to choose, than Juneteenth wins.

If angry Whites have the final say, I guess you have a point.

Reactions: UncleMark
What does it matter what other countries do?
American slavery was neither first nor last. Slavery is a global sin.

It was here before we were even the US, and its impact here is still felt today.

Are we leading? Following?

Do current and former slaves deserve minimum? Less? Meaningless? Meaningful? Better? Half measures? More?

We get the pitiful half-assed, self-serving government we demand. Especially from the Liar Party.

And as usual, it’s more important to insult a “them” or a “they” on the inter web than really contemplate anything. All you get here anymore is stupid ass snark from the Self-Appointed Pseudo-Intellectual Goat Herd. Point out a historical fact and you get attacked by the pseudo-brilliant. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be.

But hey, Happy Juneteenth Errbody! Who gives a crap what it’s really about or how it started or what it means. Just make it a moment to call somebody a racist and move on!

It was here before we were even the US, and its impact here is still felt today.

Do current and former slaves deserve minimum? Less? Meaningless? Meaningful? Better? Half measures? More?

We get the pitiful half-assed, self-serving government we demand. Especially from the Liar Party.

And as usual, it’s more important to insult a “them” or a “they” on the inter web than really contemplate anything. All you get here anymore is stupid ass snark from the Self-Appointed Pseudo-Intellectual Goat Herd. Point out a historical fact and you get attacked by the pseudo-brilliant. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be.

But hey, Happy Juneteenth Errbody! Who gives a crap what it’s really about or how it started or what it means. Just make it a moment to call somebody a racist and move on!

Oh, I definitely agree. This needs to be discussed and hopefully people will learn about why it's an important date. Kinda like Cinco de Mayo. Everyone thinks it's Mexican independence day when it's not even close.

I have no idea what you're talking about for the rest of your post. June 19th was first recognized by the state of Texas. On June 19, 1865 the last 250,000 slaves in Texas were freed. It celebrates the Emancipation Proclamation, but in Kentucky, Delaware, and Texas they still had slaves. June 19th was the date that they actually were all freed when US troops took over Texas.

Aren't you the one who's a little confused here?

What is weird is that CO, who is FAR from who you suspect of being behind Juneteenth, has been the most vocal proponent here.

As I said before, Juneteenth was what the freedmen and their decendants chose to celebrate, and that's good enough for me.

You're such a hateful bastard. How dare those ungrateful African Americans decide what they want to celebrate and when?
Juneteenth certainly raised the ire of SC Congressman Ralph Norman, who apparently feels that Blacks, as well as Native Americans, should be satisfied with all the white holidays. Apparently, Blacks should be satisfied with celebrating Independence day on July 4, even though the people who declared their "Independence" and claimed to create a nation where "all men are free" didn't see fit to actually apply that to Black slaves, or the Native Americans who they ended up virtually wiping out...

How come idiots like this never seem to grasp that finally giving folks who weren't free until nearly a century after the US originally proclaimed their Independence a way to celebrate that Freedom, is actually a great service (long overdue) that actually goes far towards correcting some of this nation's worst sins. Finally, people of color were welcomed to the fold when it came to FREEDOM. The Promise of Freedom actually became a historical reality- that's a GOOD thing...

And check out this convoluted double speak...

"There's one Fourth of July. There's one birthday ... Independence Day is Fourth of July. And I had a lot of negativity on it. But this was an easy 'no' vote," he said. "The fact that they would try to make race a part of it, it had nothing to do with race."

So "they" tried to make "race" a part of it...
But in his very next paragraph, HE is the one that does exactly that,and makes it a racial issue...

He added: "How many holidays do we want? What's the magic number? This would put it to eleven. Do we want twenty? Are we going to do one for the Native American Indians? I mean, where does it stop?"

But he wants you to be sure and know, he ain't no racist...LOL...

Guess his appearance on FOX to spout this nonsense is just a coincidence

Reactions: DrHoops
Juneteenth certainly raised the ire of SC Congressman Ralph Norman, who apparently feels that Blacks, as well as Native Americans, should be satisfied with all the white holidays. Apparently, Blacks should be satisfied with celebrating Independence day on July 4, even though the people who declared their "Independence" and claimed to create a nation where "all men are free" didn't see fit to actually apply that to Black slaves, or the Native Americans who they ended up virtually wiping out...

How come idiots like this never seem to grasp that finally giving folks who weren't free until nearly a century after the US originally proclaimed their Independence a way to celebrate that Freedom, is actually a great service (long overdue) that actually goes far towards correcting some of this nation's worst sins. Finally, people of color were welcomed to the fold when it came to FREEDOM. The Promise of Freedom actually became a historical reality- that's a GOOD thing...

And check out this convoluted double speak...

"There's one Fourth of July. There's one birthday ... Independence Day is Fourth of July. And I had a lot of negativity on it. But this was an easy 'no' vote," he said. "The fact that they would try to make race a part of it, it had nothing to do with race."

So "they" tried to make "race" a part of it...
But in his very next paragraph, HE is the one that does exactly that,and makes it a racial issue...

He added: "How many holidays do we want? What's the magic number? This would put it to eleven. Do we want twenty? Are we going to do one for the Native American Indians? I mean, where does it stop?"

But he wants you to be sure and know, he ain't no racist...LOL...

Guess his appearance on FOX to spout this nonsense is just a coincidence
You'd think if this wasn't about race, he would be complaining about having a Memorial Day and a Veterans Day. Do we really need a Columbus Day? He never even set foot in America!

He also spoke SPANISH!!! "documents in his own hand show that Columbus wrote almost exclusively in Spanish"

Last edited:
Oh, I definitely agree. This needs to be discussed and hopefully people will learn about why it's an important date. Kinda like Cinco de Mayo. Everyone thinks it's Mexican independence day when it's not even close.

I have no idea what you're talking about for the rest of your post. June 19th was first recognized by the state of Texas. On June 19, 1865 the last 250,000 slaves in Texas were freed. It celebrates the Emancipation Proclamation, but in Kentucky, Delaware, and Texas they still had slaves. June 19th was the date that they actually were all freed when US troops took over Texas.

Aren't you the one who's a little confused here?
Nope.

The Emancipation Proclamation never freed slaves in Kentucky. It freed slaves as of 1/1/1863 in “any state or designated part of a state” where - on 1/1/1863 - the people in that state or designated part were “in rebellion against the United States.” On 1/1/1863, no part of Kentucky was in rebellion. It never even successfully seceded.

This limit was one of the criticisms the Abolitionists made - to them the EP was a “half measure.”

Slaves in Kentucky and other places that were not “in rebellion” on 1/1/1863 were not “legally” freed until December 1865 when the 13th Amendment was ratified.

That is also why Juneteenth is now not a historically-accurate holiday. Might as well celebrate Lincoln’s Birthday in September. Or Facts don’t matter. Feels matter. PC matters. History just gets in the way. 2+2 can = anything.

Just take a marijuana and trip balls man.

Yes, celebrating the end of slavery is a huge and important thing. I hope someday we do it. Until then - Happy Juneteenth, Texas! Happy Martin Luther Queen Day too. Thank God she nailed those 47 questions to the jail door in Australia or the Pope would still be illegal too!

(We also claim welfare fixes poverty. Yay us!)

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Nope.

The Emancipation Proclamation never freed slaves in Kentucky. It freed slaves as of 1/1/1863 in “any state or designated part of a state” where - on 1/1/1863 - the people in that state or designated part were “in rebellion against the United States.” On 1/1/1863, no part of Kentucky was in rebellion. It never even successfully seceded.

This limit was one of the criticisms the Abolitionists made - to them the EP was a “half measure.”

Slaves in Kentucky and other places that were not “in rebellion” on 1/1/1863 were not “legally” freed until December 1865 when the 13th Amendment was ratified.

That is also why Juneteenth is now not a historically-accurate holiday. Might as well celebrate Lincoln’s Birthday in September. Or Facts don’t matter. Feels matter. PC matters. History just gets in the way. 2+2 can = anything.

Yes, celebrating the end of slavery is a huge and important thing. I hope someday we do it. Until then - Happy Juneteenth, Texas! Happy Martin Luther Queen Day too. Thank God she nailed those 47 questions to the jail door in Australia or the Pope would still be illegal too!

Dafuq wrong with you?

What is weird is that CO, who is FAR from who you suspect of being behind Juneteenth, has been the most vocal proponent here.
I’m not “against” Juneteenth - I just think the end of slavery deserves better than an inaccurate historical message.

Slavery did not “end” anywhere on September 22, 1862, when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation.
It did not end on January 1, 1863, when the EP took effect in areas in rebellion.
It did not end in April 1865 when Lee surrendered the Army of Virginia.
It did not end in June 1865 when the last Confederate army finally quit in Texas.
It did not end by Gen. Gordon Granger’s order on June 19, 1865.
Slavery in the United States ended December 6, 1865 with the ratification of the 13th Amendment.

I’m not “against” Juneteenth - I just think the end of slavery deserves better than an inaccurate historical message.

Slavery did not “end” anywhere on September 22, 1862, when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation.
It did not end on January 1, 1863, when the EP took effect in areas in rebellion.
It did not end in April 1865 when Lee surrendered the Army of Virginia.
It did not end in June 1865 when the last Confederate army finally quit in Texas.
It did not end by Gen. Gordon Granger’s order on June 19, 1865.
Slavery in the United States ended December 6, 1865 with the ratification of the 13th Amendment.

And again, if ending slavery is freedom and freedom is representation, it is the voting rights act. But you will not like that because that means Blacks were not free until the 1960s.

Reactions: DrHoops
Nope.

Interesting information, but it's not "wrong". The last SLAVE states freed their slaves on that day and 250,000 slaves were freed in Texas. That's the day. June 19th, 1865.

What a bizarre semantic game you want to play. Do you think Jesus was born on December 25th? There are still slaves in the US today. Human trafficking, sex slaves, indentured servitude.

Didn't they read about the 13th Amendment?

Like people who bitch about Christmas in December?

History is a joke to you.
Like Goat said, for once you'd be right. And you wouldn't have started this stupid thread in the first place...

So did you oppose the establishment of Black History Month, because you felt only 11 months of the year devoted to promoting white history was reverse racism?

And again, if ending slavery is freedom and freedom is representation, it is the voting rights act. But you will not like that because that means Blacks were not free until the 1960s.

False equivalency - another standard play from youse guys.

Ending slavery is ending slavery.

But for the record - yes, the Democrats did keep the Voting Rights Act at bay until 1965.

Interesting information, but it's not "wrong". The last SLAVE states freed their slaves on that day and 250,000 slaves were freed in Texas. That's the day. June 19th, 1865.

What a bizarre semantic game you want to play. Do you think Jesus was born on December 25th? There are still slaves in the US today. Human trafficking, sex slaves, indentured servitude.

Didn't they read about the 13th Amendment?

Do you know where Dred Scott claimed to become free? Do you know what the Dred Scott decision meant to a slave in a slave state? You familiar with the Fugitive Slave Act?

Your claim that the last slave states freed their slaves on June 19th, 1865 is one of the dumbest things you have ever posted - and THAT is a high bar.

By 1/1/1863, when the EP took effect, slaves in southern Missouri, nearly half of Arkansas, half of Tennessee, and a bit of coastal North Carolina lived in areas no longer "in rebellion" - and were not freed from bondage by the EP. Low estimate - 500,000. They were not made free on June 19th because a Confederate army in Texas surrendered. If the EP had had that effect, Lincoln would not have fought so hard so early for the 13th Amendment. He knew damn well that it had to be passed and ratified BEFORE the end of the war or the slevaes would NEVER be free - because the slaves states would return to the Union and try and to block it.

Like I said - you fellas just want to oppose anything I say because I'm not a Dimocrat and not in the Unithink Club you joined.

Map10-28.jpg

The rest of your comment is just "look - over there" - because you can't really refute history or facts.

Am I surprised you think historical facts are a "semantical game"? No.

Am I surprised you are happy to give African-Americans half-a-loaf while telling them how many loaves others oughta give them? Again, no.

Just another standard play from youse guys. "We love ya brother - as long as you stay outta our neighborhoods and schools!"

Do you know where Dred Scott claimed to become free? Do you know what the Dred Scott decision meant to a slave in a slave state? You familiar with the Fugitive Slave Act?

Your claim that the last slave states freed their slaves on June 19th, 1865 is one of the dumbest things you have ever posted - and THAT is a high bar.

By 1/1/1863, when the EP took effect, slaves in southern Missouri, nearly half of Arkansas, half of Tennessee, and a bit of coastal North Carolina lived in areas no longer "in rebellion" - and were not freed from bondage by the EP. Low estimate - 500,000. They were not made free on June 19th because a Confederate army in Texas surrendered. If the EP had had that effect, Lincoln would not have fought so hard so early for the 13th Amendment. He knew damn well that it had to be passed and ratified BEFORE the end of the war or the slevaes would NEVER be free - because the slaves states would return to the Union and try and to block it.

Like I said - you fellas just want to oppose anything I say because I'm not a Dimocrat and not in the Unithink Club you joined.

Map10-28.jpg

The rest of your comment is just "look - over there" - because you can't really refute history or facts.

Am I surprised you are happy to give African-Americans half-a-loaf while telling them how many loaves others oughta give them? Again, no.

Just another standard play from youse guys. "We love ya brother - as long as you stay outta our neighborhoods and schools!"
No one is giving African Americans "half a loaf." They baked it themselves. All the government did was say, "Hey, nice bread. Let's make it the official bread."

You're the asshole coming along and telling them it sucks because they followed a shit recipe.

Reactions: UncleMark
No one is giving African Americans "half a loaf." They baked it themselves. All the government did was say, "Hey, nice bread. Let's make it the official bread."

You're the asshole coming along and telling them it sucks because they followed a shit recipe.
You still can't tell fact from fantasy? Good to know some things never change.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta

Map10-28.jpg

Well, get in your time machine, go back to Texas, and sell your logic to the African-American people that have been celebrating Juneteenth on June 19, since 1866.

Dear God, you are strange.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT