ADVERTISEMENT

Juco QB just tweeted decision soon

The only other school is Colorado State. He said in a recent article that he loved the talent on the IU roster. I also saw he tweeted to Simmie that he had a great game against Maryland and that also he loved the IU facilities and liked the college town.

Given talent on OLine & WR, chance to beat OSU, UM, MSU's of the world and knowing about as good of a shot to start at major D1 school as any, following a fellow 6'6 QB who is likely to be drafted, I'd like to think this Texan can put 2 & 2 together and see its a tremendous opportunity for him. (And IU of course!)

I assume he's a good passer. Is he also a good runner? Not that I want our QB running a lot because that's just asking for an injured QB, but it would be nice if he could make yards on his feet when they're really needed.

I watched his tape today and he can run and looks like he was running IU spread at his college. Very strong arm and agile in the pocket as a runner.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Would we get him for 2 years or just 1 year? Hopefully 2 years because that gives Austin King/Peyton Ramsey some extra time to develop.

2 years. He is visiting Colorado St this weekend and will announce Monday. CKW and Coach Johns with in home visit tonight. Lagow had an IU t-shirt on.

Yep, saw his twitter. Dont want to jinx us, but I have a good feeling it will be us. Be a nice get just based on what I have heard. If we can keep Howard and he stays healthy, we shouldnt be taking a step back after this year, thats forsure.

2 years. He is visiting Colorado St this weekend and will announce Monday. CKW and Coach Johns with in home visit tonight. Lagow had an IU t-shirt on.
I hope he's not doing the "Put on whatever schools t-shirt is next to visit." routine. I saw a kid in Florida do that. He's wearing Tennessee's power T t-shirt, he must be going there, ooops, now he's in a Florida State sweatshirt, he's going there....no, wait, he's been seen in Carolina blue...and so on...... the best news would be, he's cancelled his trip to Colorado State and going to IU, but, what if he just wants to go to Colorado to be legal for the weekend and it is a done deal, he's going to IU? wouldn't it be nice,?

One thing that we have going for us is that the
weather in Bloomington seems to be more predictable
than Fort Collins weather in terms of when we get
snow. Let's hope he's not a snow skier or snowmobile
enthusiast.

I think that JUCOs who plan on being Jan. transfers
in can sign in mid-Dec.

enthusiast.

in can sign in mid-Dec.
[
Ft. Collins is an awesome town. Ive spent a lot of time there and in Larimer Co. In general. Gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park, incredible front range views, fantastic people, warm and generous. Its Bloomington on steroids. Dont think for a second their campus isnt a selling point...and oh yeah, 3-1 girls to guys. Nice perk.

Colorado St.is an awesome school. They dont have a history as bad as ours either. They love their football there.

Reactions: Iamhoosier
I assume he's a good passer. Is he also a good runner? Not that I want our QB running a lot because that's just asking for an injured QB, but it would be nice if he could make yards on his feet when they're really needed.

Not me, i want him to get ball in playmakers hands.

[
Dont think for a second their campus isnt a selling point...and oh yeah, 3-1 girls to guys. Nice perk.

I'm not saying it's not a selling perk but that is more of a selling perk for normal schmo's. For top end football players, they have their pick anyways so 3-1 doesn't really change much for them.

[
Ft. Collins is an awesome town. Ive spent a lot of time there and in Larimer Co. In general. Gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park, incredible front range views, fantastic people, warm and generous. Its Bloomington on steroids. Dont think for a second their campus isnt a selling point...and oh yeah, 3-1 girls to guys. Nice perk.

Colorado St.is an awesome school. They dont have a history as bad as ours either. They love their football there.

This is where I get a bit confused as to some of our competition for recruits....

Yes, Colorado State is a great campus, cool town, good football following....but they're also not "BCS".

Thus, on a team level, IMO, they have very little shot of "playing for it all" someday. I figured that eventually there would come a divide between those schools that actually CAN win a Nat'l Championship mathematically (us), and those that realistically can't (non-BCS). Now that we're not the doormat of the conference as much, and actually put a scare in some of the top teams....I would think recruits would recognize that fact...maybe look at us less as a "B10 team that gets to play @ PSU, @ OSU, @ MSU, @ Michigan, etc"...and more of a team that actually could compete for the division...or to be in the mix for awhile....and (with their help) maybe play in the "Final 4" someday, or at least have a mathematical shot if you win out....more of a "Mississippi State" rather than a "Vanderbilt".

On a personal stats level....hopefully, he has seen many of our games, and realizes that he is almost certain to be the B10 passing leader for his final two years of eligibility...almost without question. :D

And yes, his JC, like his HS, probably plays the same style of offense that we do. I'd bet 90% of the HS teams in Texas play fast-paced spread these days. Large reason why typically 25-35 FBS starting QB's these days are Texas HS QB's...and teams like TCU and Baylor have little problem going a couple deep with minimal dropoff.

Reactions: IUHartselCol
This is where I get a bit confused as to some of our competition for recruits....

Yes, Colorado State is a great campus, cool town, good football following....but they're also not "BCS".

Thus, on a team level, IMO, they have very little shot of "playing for it all" someday. I figured that eventually there would come a divide between those schools that actually CAN win a Nat'l Championship mathematically (us), and those that realistically can't (non-BCS). Now that we're not the doormat of the conference as much, and actually put a scare in some of the top teams....I would think recruits would recognize that fact...maybe look at us less as a "B10 team that gets to play @ PSU, @ OSU, @ MSU, @ Michigan, etc"...and more of a team that actually could compete for the division...or to be in the mix for awhile....and (with their help) maybe play in the "Final 4" someday, or at least have a mathematical shot if you win out....more of a "Mississippi State" rather than a "Vanderbilt".

On a personal stats level....hopefully, he has seen many of our games, and realizes that he is almost certain to be the B10 passing leader for his final two years of eligibility...almost without question. :D

And yes, his JC, like his HS, probably plays the same style of offense that we do. I'd bet 90% of the HS teams in Texas play fast-paced spread these days. Large reason why typically 25-35 FBS starting QB's these days are Texas HS QB's...and teams like TCU and Baylor have little problem going a couple deep with minimal dropoff.]
I didnt mean to imply I think CSU is a comarable to IU. Only to mention that to a young person, many things factor in, including being a big fish in a small pond. My wife just retired from 3 decades of teaching high school and she would say you cant predict what the final factor will be in any choice. Strangers things have happenen.

And yes, his JC, like his HS, probably plays the same style of offense that we do. I'd bet 90% of the HS teams in Texas play fast-paced spread these days. Large reason why typically 25-35 FBS starting QB's these days are Texas HS QB's...and teams like TCU and Baylor have little problem going a couple deep with minimal dropoff.

I'm thinking that this is a kid who wants the best possible route to the NFL, and he only has 2 years in which to generate his bona fides. IU and CSU are on his list because both Wilson and former UGA OC and now CSU HC Mike Bobo have coached some kids into NFL prospects. Either school makes sense from that perspective . . . and this kid picking either school wouldn't surprise me.

I'm thinking that this is a kid who wants the best possible route to the NFL, and he only has 2 years in which to generate his bona fides. IU and CSU are on his list because both Wilson and former UGA OC and now CSU HC Mike Bobo have coached some kids into NFL prospects. Either school makes sense from that perspective . . . and this kid picking either school wouldn't surprise me.

True.

Remember he is an old school pro style QB like manning or big ben. Lots of bcs schools aren't recruiting that type of player any more. They want guys that are just as dangerous with their feet.

Richard Lagow

Heard on an Atlanta sports radio show today that Mike Bobo is a candidate for the Missouri HC job.

That could be good for IU in that it may diminish CSU's chances to land Lagow. OTOH, it may mean that Mizzou could become a legitimate landing spot for Lagow . . . .

I'd be a tad surprised if Mizzou would risk Pinkel's accomplishments on a guy with so little head-coaching experience, but it's a crowded job market this season--and IIRC Tom Herman only has 1 year as head coach, and he's been connected with almost every opening in the FBS.

I'd be a tad surprised if Mizzou would risk Pinkel's accomplishments on a guy with so little head-coaching experience, but it's a crowded job market this season--and IIRC Tom Herman only has 1 year as head coach, and he's been connected with almost every opening in the FBS.

Exactly.

The guy also said that Mizzou's DC - recently the DC at Memphis under Fuentes - has been offered the HC job at Memphis, but it holding out to see if he gets the Mizzou job . . . and Memphis is getting impatient for an answer.

Also said that Saban was thinking about offering Muschamp the DC job at BAMA to replace Smart, which would leave Smart DC-less at UGA for the moment. Also, it appears that Richt's recruiting acumen and relationships could cut into UGA's recruiting successes in both Florida and Georgia . . . and I'd add South Carolina to that.

Finally, it appears Muschamp is a candidate for HC at South Carolina, DC at BAMA and DC at UGA . . . on thing's sure, he won't be at Auburn next year, which puts Malzahn on a hot seat.

Exactly.

The guy also said that Mizzou's DC - recently the DC at Memphis under Fuentes - has been offered the HC job at Memphis, but it holding out to see if he gets the Mizzou job . . . and Memphis is getting impatient for an answer.

Also said that Saban was thinking about offering Muschamp the DC job at BAMA to replace Smart, which would leave Smart DC-less at UGA for the moment. Also, it appears that Richt's recruiting acumen and relationships could cut into UGA's recruiting successes in both Florida and Georgia . . . and I'd add South Carolina to that.

Finally, it appears Muschamp is a candidate for HC at South Carolina, DC at BAMA and DC at UGA . . . on thing's sure, he won't be at Auburn next year, which puts Malzahn on a hot seat.
Sounds like Odom got,the Mizzou job.

[

Funny you should say this. I am both an IU and Colorado grad. I'm coming to the Nebraska game next October which will be my first IU game in over 30 years. My wife says to me "Bloomington, Indiana?" I told her she'll love it as it is almost like Boulder without the mountains and it is gorgeous in October. I can't wait.

As for this kid's college choice, he'd be nuts to go to CSU. Their starting QB, Stevens, will be a junior next year and he's pretty darn good. I think it will be tough to beat him out. Then it would appear it would be between us and UNLV. What kind of a choice is that? UNLV in the same non-P5 conference as CSU. He can go play in front of 20,000 people. Oh boy.

Reactions: IUHartselCol
enthusiast.

in can sign in mid-Dec.
Except, there will be terms in his scholarship that says, "No snow skiing, snowboarding, snowmobile riding, water skiing and other "action sport" activities where he could potentially get injured. One of my boys went to a school where there was a nearby attraction of "snow sports" and the coaches banned them from doing that, coaches let the boys know, "Get injured, and you're done.....period, scholly will be gone."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT