ADVERTISEMENT

Journal-Gazette - IU Center Duncomb No Longer Getting Pushed Around

But many said he was never going to play and transfer? 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

It will be interesting to see how the rotation plays out, but it doesn’t seem there is much PT for him this year.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
we need this kid to develop. he could be very important the next few years.
yeah, it would be awesome and the opportunity is there for him but I'm not believing it because it was in an off season puff piece. Hope he truly does, but in the off season everyone thinks everyone can contribute. Saw a post yesterday that talked about "what if" JHS becomes a 3 pt threat, Leal becomes a knock down shooter, and Trey develops a shot. That would be great, but they aren't all happening most likely. It should be a great season and I'm not trying to through shade on our sunny day, but not everyone will develop and we'll probaby know in a few short weeks who has.

I’m not sure “many” said that, but the thought of it did cross my mind. Will he play this year? I’m not sure, but if I had to place money on it I would say he plays very little.

did he anticipate trace and race both being back? I’m not sure that many of us did. It will be interesting to see how he fits in this year, and what the frontcourt looks like next year (ie, is TJD back?).

I’m not sure “many” said that, but the thought of it did cross my mind. Will he play this year? I’m not sure, but if I had to place money on it I would say he plays very little.

did he anticipate trace and race both being back? I’m not sure that many of us did. It will be interesting to see how he fits in this year, and what the frontcourt looks like next year (ie, is TJD back?).
Obviously the landscape changed greatly with both those guys coming back. But, I think this year will tell a lot for LD and AL's future. If they're going to contribute in the future, they should begin seeing some regular minutes this year. Not big minutes, but we should see them, and at times in games/positions that matter. I've said all summer that if I were CMW I'd be scrimmaging the freshmen plus LD and TB against the upperclassmen to try and foster some added competition and get the young guys playing together and building chemistry as a core for future years.

Obviously the landscape changed greatly with both those guys coming back. But, I think this year will tell a lot for LD and AL's future. If they're going to contribute in the future, they should begin seeing some regular minutes this year. Not big minutes, but we should see them, and at times in games/positions that matter. I've said all summer that if I were CMW I'd be scrimmaging the freshmen plus LD and TB against the upperclassmen to try and foster some added competition and get the young guys playing together and building chemistry as a core for future years.

yeah, and many think MR will be in the rotation.

It will be interesting to see how minutes are allocated for everyone.

Stewart and Rob free up some minutes, but Trey (if healthy) could be more of a factor than last year when he was hurt. Will we see Leal doing more than leading the bench in clever sideshows, I mean he’s not exactly a kid anymore? Could bates be improved and play less (I say yes)? What type of factor will JG be in the equation of minutes.

the fact is that we return four starters, a bunch of veterans and bring in talent. Someone’s going to be expecting more time than they get.

The reality is that someone has to ride the pines and park even though they scrimmage against the starters, it’s still not game experience and every year CMW will be recruiting new players, possibly better than the bench. I remember when RMK was coach, he would let the role players (Kreigh Smith, Matt Nover come to mind) be the focus of the offense during the holiday tourneys we had just before Big Ten would start to give them some game experience that might pay off down the road

It would be great to have 5 more defensive post fouls available from LD this year.
There were games last year where TJD sat significant minutes in foul trouble,
last year’s answer was a portal transfer who transferred out.

I said this back in July.
I'm having a hard time picturing Duncomb on the floor this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he only sees action during some of the preseason cupcake games.

Maybe it becomes "he only sees meaningful action". I hope I'm wrong, but I'm still inclined to think that will be the case. Looking forward to finding out.

Don’t recall much of that type of talk. Mostly remember talk about his ability to shoot and how he needed to put on weight. More hopeful that he would allow the time to develop so he could contribute either this year or the following.

Looks like he is making great strides.

this year he may play very little but next year he may play a lot

Can’t read without paying
Not blocking me and not like I have a subscription so just for you:

Fort Wayne Journal Gazette

BLOOMINGTON – Indiana center Logan Duncomb played in just nine games as a freshman last season and did not see the court for more than four minutes in any contest.

With All-Big Ten honorees Trayce Jackson-Davis and Race Thompson, emerging star Jordan Geronimo and freshmen Malik Reneau and Kaleb Banks clogging Indiana’s frontcourt depth chart, Duncomb seemed likely to be on the outside of the regular rotation again this year.

It was a surprise, then, when Jackson-Davis mentioned Thursday during Indiana basketball media day at Assembly Hall that Duncomb might get significant minutes at center this year if Thompson gets in foul trouble. Jackson-Davis could slide to power forward in such scenarios, the All-American said.

“Logan is playing at a really high level right now,” Jackson-Davis said. “He’s rebounding the ball and he’s defending really well, especially just playing against me, and I’m just seeing it on the floor when I’m playing against him.

“I think Logan’s going to provide a lot for us this year.”

Indiana’s frontcourt veterans were able to push Duncomb around in the paint when they faced off last season, according to Thompson. This summer, however, Jackson-Davis and Thompson had the same realization: the skinny freshman from last year was gone. In his place was a far sturdier force.

“Beginning of the summer, I got pushed in the back by Logan,” Thompson said. “I was wondering who pushed me and it was Logan standing there. It was like, ‘All right Logan, here we go.’

“I think (getting pushed around) bothered him a little bit and he really locked in this summer and focused on his body and took the weight room serious and took the protein shakes serious and putting on that weight serious. Now he knows he can hold his own.”

Duncomb’s freshman season consisted mostly of a series of false starts. A shoulder strain kept him out during a portion of summer practice and Indiana’s exhibition games in the Bahamas, he was suspended for three games for a violation of team rules early in the campaign and he was often sick, according to Jackson-Davis, which made it difficult for him to put on weight.

That changed this summer.

“In May he got his tonsils out so he was down to 215 (pounds),” Jackson-Davis said. “At the end of the summer, all of a sudden he was 245 and I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’ I’m trying to move him back and he’s just holding his ground and I’m like, ‘All right.’ ”

Duncomb, a top-75 recruit in the 2021 recruiting class, according to 247 Sports, came in expecting to contribute right away and was left wondering at times if he belonged at a top-tier program when it didn’t happen.

Holding his own physically with Jackson-Davis and Thompson this summer has brought Duncomb’s confidence back. Geronimo raved about Duncomb’s energy – “He has a motor like I’ve never seen before” – and the 6-foot-10 Cincinnati native plans to use that intensity to carve out minutes on a team with Big Ten championship aspirations.

“I’ve always thought if there’s one thing I can do it’s hustle,” said Duncomb, who averaged 13.5 points and 9.1 rebounds as a senior in high school. “If I’m not getting shots to fall or I’m struggling offensively, I know I can always work my hardest to do what I can. If that’s playing defense, getting rebounds, putting my body out there, setting screens, whatever I can do to help the team.”

Duncomb’s frontcourt mates have noticed a change in his demeanor as he’s become more sure of himself.

“You can see it on the court,” Thompson said. “He’s smiling, he’s playing hard, he’s talking a little bit of trash. It’s just a lot of fun to watch him grow and get better.”

Reactions: kkott and Jssanto

BLOOMINGTON – Indiana center Logan Duncomb played in just nine games as a freshman last season and did not see the court for more than four minutes in any contest.

With All-Big Ten honorees Trayce Jackson-Davis and Race Thompson, emerging star Jordan Geronimo and freshmen Malik Reneau and Kaleb Banks clogging Indiana’s frontcourt depth chart, Duncomb seemed likely to be on the outside of the regular rotation again this year.

It was a surprise, then, when Jackson-Davis mentioned Thursday during Indiana basketball media day at Assembly Hall that Duncomb might get significant minutes at center this year if Thompson gets in foul trouble. Jackson-Davis could slide to power forward in such scenarios, the All-American said.

“Logan is playing at a really high level right now,” Jackson-Davis said. “He’s rebounding the ball and he’s defending really well, especially just playing against me, and I’m just seeing it on the floor when I’m playing against him.

Indiana’s frontcourt veterans were able to push Duncomb around in the paint when they faced off last season, according to Thompson. This summer, however, Jackson-Davis and Thompson had the same realization: the skinny freshman from last year was gone. In his place was a far sturdier force.

“Beginning of the summer, I got pushed in the back by Logan,” Thompson said. “I was wondering who pushed me and it was Logan standing there. It was like, ‘All right Logan, here we go.’

“I think (getting pushed around) bothered him a little bit and he really locked in this summer and focused on his body and took the weight room serious and took the protein shakes serious and putting on that weight serious. Now he knows he can hold his own.”

Duncomb’s freshman season consisted mostly of a series of false starts. A shoulder strain kept him out during a portion of summer practice and Indiana’s exhibition games in the Bahamas, he was suspended for three games for a violation of team rules early in the campaign and he was often sick, according to Jackson-Davis, which made it difficult for him to put on weight.

“In May he got his tonsils out so he was down to 215 (pounds),” Jackson-Davis said. “At the end of the summer, all of a sudden he was 245 and I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’ I’m trying to move him back and he’s just holding his ground and I’m like, ‘All right.’ ”

Duncomb, a top-75 recruit in the 2021 recruiting class, according to 247 Sports, came in expecting to contribute right away and was left wondering at times if he belonged at a top-tier program when it didn’t happen.

Holding his own physically with Jackson-Davis and Thompson this summer has brought Duncomb’s confidence back. Geronimo raved about Duncomb’s energy – “He has a motor like I’ve never seen before” – and the 6-foot-10 Cincinnati native plans to use that intensity to carve out minutes on a team with Big Ten championship aspirations.

“I’ve always thought if there’s one thing I can do it’s hustle,” said Duncomb, who averaged 13.5 points and 9.1 rebounds as a senior in high school. “If I’m not getting shots to fall or I’m struggling offensively, I know I can always work my hardest to do what I can. If that’s playing defense, getting rebounds, putting my body out there, setting screens, whatever I can do to help the team.”

Duncomb’s frontcourt mates have noticed a change in his demeanor as he’s become more sure of himself.

“You can see it on the court,” Thompson said. “He’s smiling, he’s playing hard, he’s talking a little bit of trash. It’s just a lot of fun to watch him grow and get better.”
215 lbs up to 245?
protein shakes and weights.
I did that with cake and ice cream.

Nice read on Woody’s media day quotes.

Newcomers and undergrads grew enough to beat the upperclassmen in some ‘pickup games’

Woody came back to win banners … especially a sixth star.
Won’t run from it … won’t let players run from it.

Pushing Seniors TJD, Miller, and X to be team leaders.
Says open players can shoot. Race and TJD can shoot from the perimeter, FT line and elbow.

Excited by the schedule.

X grew from his mistakes last season and off-season, and wants more success.

Admires Teri’s work on WBB.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...sketball-coach-mike-woodson-said-at-media-day

Reactions: .Gerdis
For the sake of his own career, if Duncomb isn't able to carve out significant minutes, meaning he plays behind TJD and Reneau, he should be red-shirted. Actually, he should have been red-shirted last season. Giving him an extra year of development without losing a year of eligibility would be helpful for the program.

There still isn't a big man in the 2023 class, and whoever it is likely isn't going to be able to play very effectively. I know Page is a possibility, but from what I've seen unless there is a lot of development this season, he won't come in like TJD did and put up great numbers. That pretty much leaves Reneau and Duncomb for the 2023-24 season and Reneau is gone after next year at best, if he plays a lot this year and is effective, who knows, he could be gone after this season. Duncomb being a foundational player for the next three years after this season might be helpful for the program.

I think Duncomb can be one of those Wisconsin type big men that can come in and be very effective, but only after they mature and develop. As it stands, Duncomb will be required to put in major minutes for the 2023-24 season and maybe the next three years.

I think the jury is still out a bit on Woodson's ability to recruit big men, wings and guards he's great at getting, the guys who can mix it up down low, not so much.

It was blocking me too! Thank you!

Well I have said similar things to this. If he can give us 5 quality minutes in meaningful games I will be happy to be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT