ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Smith shot at Woody

lol Josh is something special for sure, but has to be a reason for that shot. I want to know what that is!
Go waste your time. He always struck me as a prima donna who didn’t come close to maximizing his potential. Seemed like the type always loooingbto blame somebody else when things didn’t go his way.

Reactions: 76-1 and kkott
Go waste your time. He always struck me as a prima donna who didn’t come close to maximizing his potential. Seemed like the type always loooingbto blame somebody else when things didn’t go his way.
saw him and rajon rondo years ago when they were at oak hill, they played Louisville Ballard I think, he might have been the most athletic big man at that age that I have ever seen , similar to Kemp in high school

No idea how Woody made it into a Doc Rivers rant? Anybody shed some light on this “Mike Woodson is trash too”. Lol very random

From what I read and this might be hearsay... Woody didn't want JS to shoot 3's and pushed him to only be a drive/attack the rim player, which makes sense considering JS's career 3-pt% was 28%. I think this may have impacted some playing time and JS's ego.

I'm sure there's more to the story though.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
saw him and rajon rondo years ago when they were at oak hill, they played Louisville Ballard I think, he might have been the most athletic big man at that age that I have ever seen , similar to Kemp in high school
And I saw Shawn Kemp in high school and he was truly a manchild. As a physical specimen, the primary guy I think of in that realm was probably Big Mac (I'm old, but don't quite remember George from HS, other than reputation). Maybe Big Dog. I guess if you're nickname was Big ___ then you were probably a specimen. LeBron or Shaq I'm sure were like that too, but I was thinking of guys with an IN tie.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
From what I read and this might be hearsay... Woody didn't want JS to shoot 3's and pushed him to only be a drive/attack the rim player, which makes sense considering JS's career 3-pt% was 28%. I think this may have impacted some playing time and JS's ego.

I'm sure there's more to the story though.
When CMW coached the Hawks, he was very critical of his point guard (Mike Bibby, I think) for passing to Josh in position for wide open 3's. Mike Bibby's response was, "if you don't want me to pass to Josh, don't put him out there". There was continuing tension between CMW and Josh regarding what Josh's role in the offense was. Clearly, with better shooters on the roster (Joe Johnson, Mike Bibby) Josh taking 3's was a tactical calamity.

Reactions: 82hoosier
And I saw Shawn Kemp in high school and he was truly a manchild. As a physical specimen, the primary guy I think of in that realm was probably Big Mac (I'm old, but don't quite remember George from HS, other than reputation). Maybe Big Dog. I guess if you're nickname was Big ___ then you were probably a specimen. LeBron or Shaq I'm sure were like that too, but I was thinking of guys with an IN tie.
same here...saw both Kemp and Glenn play in HS. Glenn had a more complete game - ball handling, outside shot, very fluid when he ran. Kemp looked like he was playing on an 8 foot rim against 3rd graders. The first half of the '88 state finals- Kemp vs MC and Chandler Thompson- Kemp had 5 dunks in the first half, including an ally-opp reverse slam. I give the edge to Big Dog as the more complete player.

I can't even imagine Shaq playing HS ball. Bodies flying in all directions.

Edit: go to the 12:10 spot....high schoolers shouldn't be able to do that. 12:55 mark as well. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. MC was a well coached team and ultimately Kemp's foul trouble was too much for Concord to overcome. But damn...first quarter of this game was like no HS game I had ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: CG Paul and kkott
same here...saw both Kemp and Glenn play in HS. Glenn had a more complete game - ball handling, outside shot, very fluid when he ran. Kemp looked like he was playing on an 8 foot rim against 3rd graders. The first half of the '88 state finals- Kemp vs MC and Chandler Thompson- Kemp had 5 dunks in the first half, including an ally-opp reverse slam. I give the edge to Big Dog as the more complete player.

I can't even imagine Shaq playing HS ball. Bodies flying in all directions.
I remember being hyped as a kid to see Alan Henderson play he may have even been rated higher than Robinson but after the state final no doubt who the better player was

When CMW coached the Hawks, he was very critical of his point guard (Mike Bibby, I think) for passing to Josh in position for wide open 3's. Mike Bibby's response was, "if you don't want me to pass to Josh, don't put him out there". There was continuing tension between CMW and Josh regarding what Josh's role in the offense was. Clearly, with better shooters on the roster (Joe Johnson, Mike Bibby) Josh taking 3's was a tactical calamity.
A "tactical calamity"? Well alright then. Sounds like an expression for our times...

Robinson was certainly better. No shame in that. Big Dog was a beast. But Henderson was a hell of a player at IU.
agreed...I loved Alan as a player. And quite the student is well. His career at IU is actually somewhat underrated (under appreciated?) when you look at where he sits in the 'career top 10s" of many stats. And how he was quite often the 3rd/4th scoring option on the court during his first 2 years.

If that was the case, and truly Bibby's response (have a hard time believing a pro PG would say/think that), then MW issue should have been with Bibby, not Smith. A PG should know the abilities, tendencies and preferences of everyone they are on the court with. You don't give the ball to a post oriented big man in traffic away from the basket. When I played with my buddies, I had a friend who couldn't dribble much at all, and was awful on the left side of the court but if he had his man sealed on the right block, he had a hook shot that was automatic. If I passed him the ball in any other spot and he turned it over, I felt it was on me. Don't give the ball to guys where they are uncomfortable or can't do anything with it, and if you do, that's on the passer not the receiver, imo.

If that was the case, and truly Bibby's response (have a hard time believing a pro PG would say/think that), then MW issue should have been with Bibby, not Smith. A PG should know the abilities, tendencies and preferences of everyone they are on the court with. You don't give the ball to a post oriented big man in traffic away from the basket. When I played with my buddies, I had a friend who couldn't dribble much at all, and was awful on the left side of the court but if he had his man sealed on the right block, he had a hook shot that was automatic. If I passed him the ball in any other spot and he turned it over, I felt it was on me. Don't give the ball to guys where they are uncomfortable or can't do anything with it, and if you do, that's on the passer not the receiver, imo.

I was always the right option, then I turned 8 and everyone started growing.

ADVERTISEMENT