ADVERTISEMENT

John Miller

Jan 17, 2011
Howdy Hoosiers, does anyone have any photos of DB/LB John Miller during his playing days? Or fun stories about the guy while he was at IU? I’ve tried my luck on Google and can’t find much.

Miller was on my dorm floor circa 1988 and 1989. The perfect Mallory recruit: a tough dude who would run through a brick wall on command.
He’s one of those guys from Massillon OH , and reflects that area. Hard-nosed, aggressive, knock the crap out of guys. There were several football players in the dorm. Trent Green was there. Eddie Thomas was a super nice dude. I think Dave Ane was there my freshman year. That group was at IU during a time when Mal had a collection of guys who weren’t elite athletes but were part of a team with great chemistry.

Miller was as crazy off the field as he was on it. One very vague memory stands out about Miller in the dorm one year. He put a golf tee into the tile between the seams of the floor lounge and the took out a 1-Wood driver and proceeded to make it his personal driving range by launching golf balls out the window. As a young 18 year old kid, I thought it was hilarious at the time.

He was a good player, tough as nails. I seem to remember him missing a crucial sack up at Michigan in 91' I believe. He had their QB sacked for all intents and purposes, but the guy got away and made a play to keep the drive alive. I don't know why I seem to remember that play, it was obviously an important play in that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT