ADVERTISEMENT

John Laskowski

VanHoosier

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2002
If you're in the mood to see an IU legend you could always drive over to Columbus and grab some dinner at Culvers on Jonathon Moore Pike. John is the store manager there and can be seen waiting on people just about any day.

Ordering a Culvers Deluxe from an IU legend, who would have thought.

Reactions: RBB89 and hondo314
John is having a Culvers built in Bloomington and at present he is assisting his partner at the Columbus location. He is so personable whenever you visit the Columbus location. You will find him cleaning tables, filling orders, stocking the ice machine, or just being a great host.

If you visit the Columbus location be sure to take a look at the great framed poster that hangs just inside of the entry of IU basketball players who were featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

John is having a Culvers built in Bloomington and at present he is assisting his partner at the Columbus location. He is so personable whenever you visit the Columbus location. You will find him cleaning tables, filling orders, stocking the ice machine, or just being a great host.

If you visit the Columbus location be sure to take a look at the great framed poster that hangs just inside of the entry of IU basketball players who were featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated.
I had the privilege to play golf with him at a local fundraiser in 2010, one of the nicest people that you will ever meet.

Reactions: ulrey and iulb
If you're in the mood to see an IU legend you could always drive over to Columbus and grab some dinner at Culvers on Jonathon Moore Pike. John is the store manager there and can be seen waiting on people just about any day.

Ordering a Culvers Deluxe from an IU legend, who would have thought.
Since we moved to Pennsylvania we really miss Culvers. When we visited Indiana back in April we ate at the Culvers in Wabash and I told the manager that they need to break into Pennsylvania because there is not one in the whole state.

Reactions: mayorparker
Is Culvers run with senior citizens in mind? Before they passed, whenever I met my parents to eat it was most always at Culvers. At 55, I felt like the youngster there.

Reactions: UncleMark
Since we moved to Pennsylvania we really miss Culvers. When we visited Indiana back in April we ate at the Culvers in Wabash and I told the manager that they need to break into Pennsylvania because there is not one in the whole state.
Cool story, bro.

Reactions: sluggo69
Yeah, the new store coming to Bton is getting a lot of talk.

Now tell the the truth -- is it really that good? I've never been to one. I'm just wondering if it's one of those deals where people talk so highly of it because they're scarce. Like Coors Beer before they went national, or Dunkin Donuts, or even White Castle back before they came to Bton (we used to make drunken slider runs to Indy).

Reactions: moneyadvisor

Now tell the the truth -- is it really that good? I've never been to one. I'm just wondering if it's one of those deals where people talk so highly of it because they're scarce. Like Coors Beer before they went national, or Dunkin Donuts, or even White Castle back before they came to Bton (we used to make drunken slider runs to Indy).

No. Well, unless you think McDonalds and other fast food swill is food, then I guess Culver's is probably fine.

Reactions: BCBtrio

It’s a gourmet burger place a step above fast food burger joints. They also serve other food and have excellent “concrete mixers”...like ice cream shakes.

They have Great fried chicken, which I found out when I lived in northern Illinois and used to patronize one of their restaurants. This isn't just a burger joint.

Last edited:
I like Culver's although I don't go there often because it's "fast food" and not healthy, but damned good tasting. Laz was into commercial real estate back in the 1980's in the Greenwood area. I had lunch with him one time over a real estate matter. He was a nice guy and I was google-eyed.

I get the impression he is getting into the Culver restaurant business as a means to get his son set up in business... a taking care of family type of thing and using his local name recognition to Culver's franchise advantage. I live about 25 min. from his Columbus store and will probably go there before too long to have a fish sandwich and hopefully get a glimpse of this IU basketball "god" clearing tables.

I like Culver's although I don't go there often because it's "fast food" and not healthy, but damned good tasting. Laz was into commercial real estate back in the 1980's in the Greenwood area. I had lunch with him one time over a real estate matter. He was a nice guy and I was google-eyed.

I get the impression he is getting into the Culver restaurant business as a means to get his son set up in business... a taking care of family type of thing and using his local name recognition to Culver's franchise advantage. I live about 25 min. from his Columbus store and will probably go there before too long to have a fish sandwich and hopefully get a glimpse of this IU basketball "god" clearing tables.

If you're getting a fish sandwich at Culver's, you're doing everything wrong....

They have a pretty good breaded tenderloin. Most fast food restaurants don't offer that. The burgers are better than most fast food places.

Hopefully you'll get a McAllister's. A little pricey, but a good place for a variety of sandwiches.

Hopefully you'll get a McAllister's. A little pricey, but a good place for a variety of sandwiches.
That sounds familiar, like there might have been one in Bton in the past... over on the east side, in the College Mall area maybe?

They have a pretty good breaded tenderloin. Most fast food restaurants don't offer that. The burgers are better than most fast food places.

Hopefully if he's making a rare trip to Bloomington (not sure his proximity) he''s stopping by Lil Zagrebs or Nick's or Malibu Grill or Village Deli or some other local staple and not a stupid chain.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978

McAllisters has been on the east side of Bloomington for several years. I agree with you about the variety and the prices.

Yes, likely more than you.

And it's delicious, the same way a 5 Guys or In-N-Out Burger is delicious.

But it's still relatively low quality, fast food.
As I said earlier, I got to know Culvers in northern Illinois, which was several years ago. Glad to know that you have patronized them too. All I ever got was the fried chicken, mainly because that was the favorite of the woman I dated back then, and it was always better than anything offered by the big franchises.

As I said earlier, I got to know Culvers in northern Illinois, which was several years ago. Glad to know that you have patronized them too. All I ever got was the fried chicken, mainly because that was the favorite of the woman I dated back then, and it was always better than anything offered by the big franchises.

It is obviously better than a McDonalds or Burger King or Jack in the Box as far as fast food burgers go. But it is still fast food.

And I would advise to get the Butter Burger since it is one of the best fast food burgers out there. If you want chicken go to Wendy's or Chick-Fil-A or Canes.

Needless to say I've eat more than my fair share of fast food poison but luckily I run a lot and force down my raw vegetables regularly.

Why can't Laz still do IU games? I'd take him on the Radio. I'm assuming that Errick Suhr will be our play by play when the legend hangs it up(hopefully not anytime soon.)

Why can't Laz still do IU games? I'd take him on the Radio. I'm assuming that Errick Suhr will be our play by play when the legend hangs it up(hopefully not anytime soon.)

I thought Suhr was better this year when the season started but sort of resorted to his previous ways as the season wore on. Young guy- I'm sure he will be fine as he keeps gaining experience.

Hopefully if he's making a rare trip to Bloomington (not sure his proximity) he''s stopping by Lil Zagrebs or Nick's or Malibu Grill or Village Deli or some other local staple and not a stupid chain.
Trojan Horse at the southeast corner of Bloomington's town square surprisingly has a great double cheeseburger. Freddy's in Columbus has a good one, too, for a fast food chain restaurant. Both places are on par for a Steak 'n Shake type burger, which I adore.

They dropped the fried chicken a few years ago. I mourned the day.
I have been away from a Culver's location for so long that I didn't realize that. Maybe they will have a change of heart when they open the new Culver's in Bloomington, but I am not going to get my hopes up.

Culver’s is good, but it’s a chain. It’s not THAT good. It’s certainly better than McDonald’s though.

Why the disdain for chains?
Many (most???) are franchises which are owned by local people.

At one time I had two Burger Chef franchises and lived in & spent my money in the city where they were located.
A very good friend of mine has two McDonalds stores. (not in Bloomington, but nearby).

Company stores are more the exception than the rule.

Reactions: Tony20
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT