ADVERTISEMENT

John Daly Briefly Leads the PGA Championship

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
I looked at the leaderboard and John Daly was in a 6 way tie for first at 2 under. He's since dropped to T8 at -1, but for a brief moment I was imagining him with a Marlboro Red dangling from his lips on the tee box and eating M&Ms while walking next to terrified co-leader Y.E. Yang who is is paired with him.

• Haha
Reactions: Indianaftw
That would be a helluva story, but nothing he's done in many years makes me think he can even come close.

That would be a helluva story, but nothing he's done in many years makes me think he can even come close.
I'm not saying he's going to win. Making the cut would be huge. He's currently back to -2 through 12 and T5. It is shaping up to be a great round if he can keep it going though.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I looked at the leaderboard and John Daly was in a 6 way tie for first at 2 under. He's since dropped to T8 at -1, but for a brief moment I was imagining him with a Marlboro Red dangling from his lips on the tee box and eating M&Ms while walking next to terrified co-leader Y.E. Yang who is is paired with him.

Those look like some badass lily pulitzers.

Daly finished 2 over, with a bogey, par, bogey, bogey, bogey finish

Tiger also 2 over through 15

Daly is T51 right now and is currently waiting to tee off on #10 to start his round.

Been there done that. I have not mastered marijuana while golfing, however. Any pointers?
I've mastered it, no problem! #1, suck at golf, so you don't care about your score. #2, take gummy before round. No problem!

In all seriousness, I've not found it to be conducive to scoring. At best, a mellow buzz might not harm my score, but I don't feel like it improves it. Overdone, and it will hurt. Not that different than drinking, although I've had some times were I did think drinking actually helped, maybe allowing me not to overthink, but it's not predictable.

Last edited:
Reactions: birdforbogey
Interesting that Daly is allowed to use a cart due to the diagnosis of arthritis. I recall Casey Martin suing the PGA and winning ~20 years back, because the PGA has to abide by the Americans with Disabilities Act. I wonder if many other than Martin a long time ago and now Daly have used a cart on the regular tour.

Interesting that Daly is allowed to use a cart due to the diagnosis of arthritis. I recall Casey Martin suing the PGA and winning ~20 years back, because the PGA has to abide by the Americans with Disabilities Act. I wonder if many other than Martin a long time ago and now Daly have used a cart on the regular tour.
The cart isn't helping. He's +4 thru 13 with 3 BOG since the turn (on what I'm calling another beer related issue) and +6 for the tournament. +4 is the projected cut, so he still has some time but he's trending in the wrong direction.

Struck in the face???? Ouch man I can't imagine that.
I don't want to imagine getting hit anywhere in the head by a drive from a pro, especially early right after they hit it. I was at the Wells Fargo tournament here in Charlotte several years ago and had positioned ourselves down the #10 fairway appx where drives were landing so we could see them tee off, then walk up and hit their approach and see what they did on the green. Padraig Harrington hit a ball and then shouted "fore right" and it went past us in front and then off into the rough and some trees. Next, Adam Scott, hit, same thing. I turned to sort of shield the elderly woman next to me when it felt like my left shoulder exploded. Got hit by his drive on the way down, so had to have slowed a ton, but it still felt like a gunshot and I had a horrible bruise about the size of a grapefruit and it was all kinds of purple and black where he hit me, and sore for several days. I try not to take it casually if I hear "fore" in my direction now!

I still swear that shot changed Scott's round. It was cut day and he was 2 over the cut # at that point. A bogey (what Harrington made) or worse, I think would have doomed him. Instead, the ball bounced off my shoulder into the first cut far enough back that he could clear the trees that would have handcuffed him had it continued on it's path, and he hit a nice approach and birdied. Got a couple more on the way in and made the cut by a stroke or two. The next day he shot like a 63 and ended up around 10th and I think won around $230K. Barely got a "Sorry" out of him. I think Mickleson would've at least given me a signed glove with $100 tucked in it.

I don't want to imagine getting hit anywhere in the head by a drive from a pro, especially early right after they hit it. I was at the Wells Fargo tournament here in Charlotte several years ago and had positioned ourselves down the #10 fairway appx where drives were landing so we could see them tee off, then walk up and hit their approach and see what they did on the green. Padraig Harrington hit a ball and then shouted "fore right" and it went past us in front and then off into the rough and some trees. Next, Adam Scott, hit, same thing. I turned to sort of shield the elderly woman next to me when it felt like my left shoulder exploded. Got hit by his drive on the way down, so had to have slowed a ton, but it still felt like a gunshot and I had a horrible bruise about the size of a grapefruit and it was all kinds of purple and black where he hit me, and sore for several days. I try not to take it casually if I hear "fore" in my direction now!

I still swear that shot changed Scott's round. It was cut day and he was 2 over the cut # at that point. A bogey (what Harrington made) or worse, I think would have doomed him. Instead, the ball bounced off my shoulder into the first cut far enough back that he could clear the trees that would have handcuffed him had it continued on it's path, and he hit a nice approach and birdied. Got a couple more on the way in and made the cut by a stroke or two. The next day he shot like a 63 and ended up around 10th and I think won around $230K. Barely got a "Sorry" out of him. I think Mickleson would've at least given me a signed glove with $100 tucked in it.
Damn...I take it seriously. A golf ball can F-U-Up. I always wondered about Tee boxes near greens too. What were they thinking?

The only time I have ever seen a drive hit someone and it be funny was the Rory drive that fell into the guys pocket. That was crazy...

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Damn...I take it seriously. A golf ball can F-U-Up. I always wondered about Tee boxes near greens too. What were they thinking?

The only time I have ever seen a drive hit someone and it be funny was the Rory drive that fell into the guys pocket. That was crazy...

I'd not seen that and that is pretty wild. I did see a ball end up between a guys legs while sitting in a fold up chair and it was a similar scene when they came up. Don't remember who the pro was, Chris DiMarco maybe?

Reactions: Indianaftw
In HS I saw a dude take one to the sternum. Buddy was on the tee and the ball went off the toe of his driver at a 90 degree angle directly into the chest of another guy playing with us. Knocked him down and he momentarily blacked out. We thought he was screwing with us, then dead, then back to screwing with us as he came to. I've never stood anywhere close to even or ahead of someone taking a shot since.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like coming off the club head of a pro who's swinging that hard.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT