ADVERTISEMENT

John Beilein

I agree about the coach talk. This probably my only post about a coach other than Archie and will be until he is gone. I actually would like to see Archie finish out a 4th year when the core of HIS players become upperclassmen and to see if he can build on the team with 2021 recruits.

Matta is scouting around. He interviewed for UGA last year. so who cares how old the article is. I think it apparent he wants to coach again if health permits. Matta wants the right opportunity. I think at one point in the past IU was his destination job. If he knows the IU job has a good chance of opening up next year, he might continue to play the waiting game another year.
If you think archie is getting any top 2021 recruits you are delusional. He is a lame duck coach and they are not going to come here knowing he likely has one year left.

There is no good reason to keep a guy around once you realize he is not the guy.

If you know he isnt it...what if he makes a fluke run and wins next year...kind of handcuffed yourself...now you’ve earned another year+ with the guy you know is not the guy...

I agree about the coach talk. This probably my only post about a coach other than Archie and will be until he is gone. Everybody's list is the same so why post a list. I actually would like to see Archie finish out a 4th year when the core of HIS players become upperclassmen and to see if he can build on the team with 2021 recruits. I would like to see his final product.

I posted it because I'd probably prefer Matta over Beilein. That is nothing against Beilein. Just always thought Matta was real good coach and he is 15 years younger. I think he runs a similar system as Arch. His final 4 or 5 years at OSU got stale and mediocre so who knows why. The back is nice excuse.

Matta is scouting around. He interviewed for UGA last year. so doesn't really matter how old the article is. I think it apparent he wants to coach again if health permits. Matta wants the right opportunity. I think at one point in the past IU was his destination job. If he knows the IU job has a good chance of opening up next year, he might continue to play the waiting game another year especially if he just happens to know he'd be a top candidate.

I think Matta is patiently waiting for LaValle Jordan to be hired away just as many before him have. Matta lives in Indy, his daughter goes to Butler, and to my knowledge is still very close with the program. If the timing is right it wouldn't be a shock to see him with a 2nd tenure at Butler.

There is no good reason to keep a guy around once you realize he is not the guy.

If you know he isnt it...what if he makes a fluke run and wins next year...kind of handcuffed yourself...now you’ve earned another year+ with the guy you know is not the guy...
Nope but this is iu where you get several more years than you should. And of course while you do this great coaches like beilein will go somewhere else and make a final four run in a few years. We will then sit here and talk what could of been as we are stuck hiring the next mid major who had one fluke elite 8 run.

Reactions: mk23

Well, one of the arguments is that it sends a message to other prospective coaches that the brass won't be very patient in allowing them, if they were ever hired, to mold the program to their image in order to produce the desired results.

I get the sentiment, and I think it belongs on the scales. But I also think it has to be looked at in the context of progress and improvement. The alternative isn't necessarily "You must win -- big and soon -- or else!"

My biggest gripe with Archie isn't that he hasn't gotten us a deep run in March, it's that the quality of his teams has seemed stuck in neutral since he arrived.

There just hasn't been a whole lot of tangible improvement. We see the same mistakes and weaknesses, over and over again. Every once in a while, we seem to play really well. Then we go right back to absurdly terrible defense, rebounding, ball control, shooting, etc. It's like one step forward, one step back.

If I felt confident that we were heading in the right direction, I'd be calling for more patience. But I don't feel confident we are. In fact, I feel confident we aren't.

Nope but this is iu where you get several more years than you should. And of course while you do this great coaches like beilein will go somewhere else and make a final four run in a few years. We will then sit here and talk what could of been as we are stuck hiring the next mid major who had one fluke elite 8 run.

You're so out of touch with reality it's comical. John Beilein had a LOSING record after his first three years at Michigan. By your standards he too would have been shown the door well before he ever got the Michigan program up and running. You setting up a strawman that IU has lowered or doesn't have basketball expectations is utter nonsense. They just fired a coach who in a 5 year window went to 3 S16 and won 2 B10 titles outright. Those kind of accolades are celebrated decoratively at 99.9% of college basketball programs nationwide. Acting like IU doesn't have basketball expectations because they don't fire a coach who doesn't win a national title by year 3 is pure asinine. I'm as disappointed as anybody with how Archie's tenure has gone thus far, but nobody is coming in and making a IU a national title contender overnight. The sooner you can accept that you have to learn to crawl before you walk will makes this transition much easier on yourself.

Last edited:
You're so out of touch with reality it's comical. John Beilein had a LOSING record after his first three years at Michigan. By your standards he too would have been shown the door well before he ever got the Michigan program up and running. You setting up a strawman that IU has lowered or doesn't have basketball expectations is utter nonsense. They just fired a coach who in a 5 year window went to 3 S16 and won 2 B10 titles outright. Those kind of accolades are celebrated decoratively at 99.9% of college basketball programs nationwide. Acting like IU doesn't have basketball expectations because they don't fire a coach who doesn't win a national title by year 3 is pure asinine. I'm as disappointed as anybody with how Archie's tenure has gone thus far, but nobody is coming in and making a IU a national title contender overnight. The sooner you can accept that you have to learn to crawl before you walk will makes this transition much easier on yourself.

hell Beilein would take a few years to win at IU because I can't see many of the players on the roster fitting well into his system and he doesn't like transfers and doesn't recruit 1 and done players.

hell Beilein would take a few years to win at IU because I can't see many of the players on the roster fitting well into his system and he doesn't like transfers and doesn't recruit 1 and done players.

Anybody not named John Calipari or Coach K is going to take a few years to build IU up and hell, Coach K was nearly shown the door at Duke after 6 years and it took two mid-major gigs and a failed attempt in the NBA for Calipari to get where he's at now. Insufferable people like Bailey777 have a hard time seeing things through.

I think Archie will get another year no matter what. Even if Beilein called and said he would do the job for $1M a year I don't think IU is ready to get rid of Archie.

John Beilein is done. He's 67 and his son is going through some shit that the whole family is working through. He's done.

No, they're not. They're actors. Trump was chosen to play the role of president long ago.

Speaking of politics, Archie reminds me of Jeb Bush.

No personality, riding a mediocre brother's coat tails for employment, and will be begging us to clap before too long.

Reactions: bailey777

I have accepted that nothing you have posted on here is true. What’s IU’s 3 point percentage? Better than last year? Also, has the Cross kid committed? How about Green averaging 14 or 15 points? Is he first 2nd team or 3rd team all conference? Maybe tone it down a little bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: fpeaugh
I think Archie will get another year no matter what. Even if Beilein called and said he would do the job for $1M a year I don't think IU is ready to get rid of Archie.
Which is why the program will remain in the tubes. But thats iu.

Anybody not named John Calipari or Coach K is going to take a few years to build IU up and hell, Coach K was nearly shown the door at Duke after 6 years and it took two mid-major gigs and a failed attempt in the NBA for Calipari to get where he's at now. Insufferable people like Bailey777 have a hard time seeing things through.
You truly are clueless and desperate. You’ve been proven wrong more times than I can count. Focus on your grades and less internet kid.

Dakich was saying today on his radio station that if he was Glass, he would be calling Beilein immediately. That these things happen before a coach is fired all the time, gave examples. Said if it’s not a former IU player Beilein or Stevens are the 2 he would get behind. Also stated fundamentals are lacking badly and if you can’t guard a screen other than hedging then you can’t coach.

This makes great sense but fred is fred. He has washed his hands of his bad hire
Ya know, in my mind, I can't figure out of it's good for an out-going AD to fire a coach of a flagship sport and then hire a replacement with whom the in-coming AD will have to live.

I have accepted that nothing you have posted on here is true. What’s IU’s 3 point percentage? Better than last year? Also, has the Cross kid committed? How about Green averaging 14 or 15 points? Is he first 2nd team or 3rd team all conference? Maybe tone it down a little bit.

What a dolt you are. A couple things. I absolutely said IU would be a better 3 point shooting team making a higher percentage of 3's on less attempts due to having an actual front court presence this year and our highest volume 3 point shooters (who happened to be the worst by %) moving on from the program. IU last year shot 3's at a 31.2% clip taking over 19 attempts per game making only 6 a game. IU ranked 317th out of 353 teams in 3pt shooting last year. This year IU is making 3's at a 32.3% clip taking only 16 3's a game. IU is 243rd in 3pt% this year out of 353 which is marked improvement from last year and that is with the the 3 point line being extended. So I was 100% correct in that aspect, not sure where you're going with this one?

As far as Matt Cross goes, only thing I ever stated is that he would be a good fit at IU and couldn't understand why nobody would want him? He didn't commit and so be it, but I never guaranteed a commitment from him so again, where are you going with this?

Only thing I've been off on is Green's ppg average. I never guaranteed he'd be 2nd or 3rd team all-conference, you're making that up, I just gave an opinion that he'd be the most likely candidate to land on an all-conference team if an IU player were to make one. Obviously TJD has exceeded expectations and will be the most likely candidate to land on an all-conference team, but acting like our most dynamic player wouldn't see an uptick in scoring output wasn't an egregious opinion at all. He's struggled with consistency all year and that's on him, but he's the one player that has the ability to go off on any given night and in all honesty this team will go as far as he can take us.

I think it's you who needs to look in the mirror. I wasn't the one who predicted a gloom and doom season because our top two scorers moved on, that was you. Not only has Indiana picked up Romeo and Juwan's scoring slack, they're averaging more ppg this year shooting better from the field, the 3pt line, and the FT line than last year due to a much more balanced roster, something I vehemently harped on all summer. You disagreed with me and once again are completely wrong.

Keep trying to snide me, it's fine, you look like an even bigger ass every time you do so.

Last edited:
What a dolt you are. A couple things. I absolutely said IU would be a better 3 point shooting team making a higher percentage of 3's on less attempts due to having an actual front court presence this year and our highest volume 3 point shooters (who happened to be the worst by %) moving on from the program. IU last year shot 3's at a 31.2% clip taking over 19 attempts per game making only 6 a game. IU ranked 317th out of 353 teams in 3pt shooting last year. This year IU is making 3's at a 32.3% clip taking only 16 3's a game. IU is 243rd in 3pt% this year out of 353 which is marked improvement from last year and that is with the the 3 point line being extended. So I was 100% correct in that aspect, not sure where you're going with this one?

As far as Matt Cross goes, only thing I ever stated is that he would be a good fit at IU and couldn't understand why nobody would want him? He didn't commit and so be it, but I never guaranteed a commitment from him so again, where are you going with this?

The point is you constantly fling poo and hope some of it sticks. Also, your argument wasn't IU would be a slightly better 3 point shooting team. Your argument was IU would be a much improved shooting team. I posted the Cross comments below.

IU is perhaps only a week or two, if not days a way from signing a top 100 recruit in Matt Cross and then will be going all in on either Caleb Love or Dawson Garcia who are both 5* recruits. Love has already pledged an OV to Indiana and would be shocked if we don't get one from Garcia as well. There is nothing wrong with Archie's recruiting. The only issue is whether or not he's going to get the time to see them all through as upperclassmen.

The point is you constantly fling poo and hope some of it sticks. Also, your argument wasn't IU would be a slightly better 3 point shooting team. Your argument was IU would be a much improved shooting team. I posted the Cross comments below.

LOL, you reading comprehension proves you're an idiot. Where on Earth in those Cross comments do I guarantee a commitment? Context matters. This was in response to that moron Fpeaugh who said IU had zero recruiting momentum and nobody was considering IU.

Matt Cross had indicated that he was ready to commit in the coming days/weeks when I posted that and he was in IU's final 3 or 4. Notice how I said the word perhaps, literal meaning used to express uncertainty or possibility, and not "Matt Cross is committing to Indiana"? You're out of line and you know it.

As far as 3 point shooting goes, they are much improved, there were only 30 teams with a worse 3 pt % than IU last year, this year they're middle pack. Still not acceptable but it's a marked improvement from last year. And IU's shooting improved exactly how I described it. They're taking less attempts a game and converting at a higher clip and that's because IU is able to play inside-out with a competent front court.

LOL, you reading comprehension proves you're an idiot. Where on Earth in those Cross comments do I guarantee a commitment? Context matters. This was in response to that moron Fpeaugh who said IU had zero recruiting momentum and nobody was considering IU.

Matt Cross had indicated that he was ready to commit in the coming days/weeks when I posted that and he was in IU's final 3 or 4. Notice how I said the word perhaps, literal meaning used to express uncertainty or possibility, and not "Matt Cross is committing to Indiana"? You're out of line and you know it.

As far as 3 point shooting goes, they are much improved, there were only 30 teams with a worse 3 pt % than IU last year, this year they're middle pack. Still not acceptable but it's a marked improvement from last year. And IU's shooting improved exactly how I described it. They're taking less attempts a game and converting at a higher clip and that's because IU is able to play inside-out with a competent front court.
IU was never close to getting a commitment from Cross.

Reactions: Radio Zero
As far as Matt Cross goes, only thing I ever stated is that he would be a good fit at IU and couldn't understand why nobody would want him?

Maybe reread it because you said a lot more then Cross only being a good fit. Also, try not being a weasel for once.

IU is perhaps only a week or two, if not days a way from signing a top 100 recruit in Matt Cross and then will be going all in on either Caleb Love or Dawson Garcia who are both 5* recruits. Love has already pledged an OV to Indiana and would be shocked if we don't get one from Garcia as well. There is nothing wrong with Archie's recruiting. The only issue is whether or not he's going to get the time to see them all through as upperclassmen.

Last edited:

Only thing I've been off on is Green's ppg average. I never guaranteed he'd be 2nd or 3rd team all-conference, you're making that up, I just gave an opinion that he'd be the most likely candidate to land on an all-conference team if an IU player were to make one. Obviously TJD has exceeded expectations and will be the most likely candidate to land on an all-conference team, but acting like our most dynamic player wouldn't see an uptick in scoring output wasn't an egregious opinion at all. He's struggled with consistency all year and that's on him, but he's the one player that has the ability to go off on any given night and in all honesty this team will go as far as he can take us.

I think it's you who needs to look in the mirror. I wasn't the one who predicted a gloom and doom season because our top two scorers moved on, that was you. Not only has Indiana picked up Romeo and Juwan's scoring slack, they're averaging more ppg this year shooting better from the field, the 3pt line, and the FT line than last year due to a much more balanced roster, something I vehemently harped on all summer. You disagreed with me and once again are completely wrong.

Keep trying to snide me, it's fine, you look like an even bigger ass every time you do so.

You saw Franklin play 50 times and thought he could play back up PG in the BT.

You could not fathom Smith starting, and thought TJD would be a 12 & 6 guy.

You saw Franklin play 50 times and thought he could play back up PG in the BT.

You could not fathom Smith starting, and thought TJD would be a 12 & 6 guy.

Again, you're wrong. I said I wouldn't be shocked to see AF groomed into a PG by the time his career was over and that it wouldn't surprise me if he got some run at PG this year. I stated what I had heard from someone who I consider to be a reliable source who said at a trustee dinner Archie spoke highly of AF when asked about his future at IU and he spoke about AF playing PG down the line. He's a true freshman, he's got 3 years of eligibility left to play. We can revisit this down the road if you'd like.

And I got laughed at when I suggested TJD would average 12 and 6 as many thought he wouldn't put up those numbers. He's far exceeded expectations and a reason why IU is a lot better than all the doom and gloom predictions preseason.

Before we took Jordan Geronimo, we were absolutely in it with Matt Cross. To say otherwise is asinine.

Stop speaking in absolutes like you know what you are talking about.

I'm not a recruiting guy, but from what I recall Cross committed before Geronimo. Plus, I thought Cross was more of a PF and Geronimo a wing.

I'm not a recruiting guy, but from what I recall Cross committed before Geronimo. Plus, I thought Cross was more of a PF and Geronimo a wing.

No your not.

Geronimo committed before Cross did. Geronimo committed 9-2 and Cross committed the next day. Cross is more suited to play the 4 but thinks of himself as a three from the stories that I've read.

But yes, they should be playing different positions in college.

Before we took Jordan Geronimo, we were absolutely in it with Matt Cross. To say otherwise is asinine.

Stop speaking in absolutes like you know what you are talking about.
IU was never close to getting a commitment from Cross. You have no idea, as usual, what you’re talking about. No idea whatsoever.

No your not.

Geronimo committed before Cross did. Geronimo committed 9-2 and Cross committed the next day. Cross is more suited to play the 4 but thinks of himself as a three from the stories that I've read.

IU only accepted Geronimo’s commitment after realizing they weren’t getting Cross. You don’t actually believe otherwise, do you? And you still can’t spell.

No your not.

So, we were in it with Cross until Geronimo committed the day before and then he was so upset that he picked a different school the very next day? Maybe neither of us are recruiting guys?

IU only accepted Geronimo’s commitment after realizing they weren’t getting Cross. You don’t actually believe otherwise, do you? And you still can’t spell.

Oh Ord (or is it Prankster or Kern or whatever incarnation you had), you are so fun sometimes.

They accepted Geronimo's commitment because they like him as a player. He's not a plan B recruit. They're not taking him in the summer when they don't even play the same position, smart guy. And to boot, Geronimo committed the day after his official visit, crazy timing, right? Such a coincidence.

But keep spewing this stuff about Geronimo committing because we didn't get Cross. That's just pure gold.

So, we were in it with Cross until Geronimo committed the day before and then he was so upset that he picked a different school the very next day? Maybe neither of us are recruiting guys?

Geronimo committed to us on 9-2. The next day, Cross committed to Miami. We already had Leal and Galloway on board as well. See the dilemma there for Cross?

Please show me where we weren't?

Just because we don't get a kid doesn't mean we weren't in it with a kid.

How do you figure we weren't in it with the kid?

I don't follow recruiting that much but I believe Cross visited IU sometime late summer and gave an indication he was going to be committing to the college of his choice sometime in that same period. Shortly before his time frame for committing, he scheduled a last minute visit to one of the Texas schools and that led IU on to a degree as I believe IU, Miami, and South Carolina were pursuing him the hardest. I believe it was the weekend that he was on that last minute visit IU saw Geronimo at one of the AAU events and he committed essentially negating Cross spot.

Could be off but I thought that is how it went down. I'm not sure how close Cross was to ever committing to IU but do know for a fact that IU heavily recruited Cross and there was more than mutual interest.

ADVERTISEMENT