ADVERTISEMENT

John Beilein

Dakich was saying today on his radio station that if he was Glass, he would be calling Beilein immediately. That these things happen before a coach is fired all the time, gave examples. Said if it’s not a former IU player Beilein or Stevens are the 2 he would get behind. Also stated fundamentals are lacking badly and if you can’t guard a screen other than hedging then you can’t coach.

This makes great sense but fred is fred. He has washed his hands of his bad hire

Dakich was saying today on his radio station that if he was Glass, he would be calling Beilein immediately. That these things happen before a coach is fired all the time, gave examples. Said if it’s not a former IU player Beilein or Stevens are the 2 he would get behind. Also stated fundamentals are lacking badly and if you can’t guard a screen other than hedging then you can’t coach.

This makes great sense but fred is fred. He has washed his hands of his bad hire
That’s what a winning program would do. We’re not a winning program.

Izzo is 65
Roy Williams is 69
Calipari is 61
K is 73
Beilein just turned 67 two weeks ago...

I don’t know if JB is the right choice, but to me it’s become pretty obvious that Archie doesn’t really like his players and the players don’t really like Archie. Just feels like a bad fit that’s been forced for the wrong reasons.

Reactions: DANC and bailey777
I heard from a really good source that a lady that looks like Beilein’s wife was in Bloomington eating a Strom at Nicks with a local realtor. Bouncer friend saw a mature woman getting crunk at Yogis later that night. To top it off, my brother saw a Mercedes with MICHIGAN plates driving down Kirkwood!

Reactions: ChiefHoosier
I heard from a really good source that a lady that looks like Beilein’s wife was in Bloomington eating a Strom at Nicks with a local realtor. Bouncer friend saw a mature woman getting crunk at Yogis later that night. To top it off, my brother saw a Mercedes with MICHIGAN plates driving down Kirkwood!

You're not Fpeaugh's guy are you?

Im pretty sure we will be having these same discussions a year from now as archie remains and the program slips further down the tubes. IU just doesnt know when to pull the trigger. Always will be too late.

Reactions: ufo33
You do realize that story is from 2 years ago, right? Is your point that Thad Matta would return to coaching for the right opportunity (a quote from that 2018 piece)?

I'd be good with Thad, as long as he's all in physically and mentally. But, honestly, it's pointless to have conversations about who we'd prefer as new coach. Archie will get another year. He shouldn't, if he fails to make the tournament again. But he will, even if we're left out again.

Im pretty sure we will be having these same discussions a year from now as archie remains and the program slips further down the tubes. IU just doesnt know when to pull the trigger. Always will be too late.

Not only that, IU has pulled the wrong trigger at times, too. I hate to sound like a broken record -- but....Mike Davis? Really?

But, yeah, waited too long with Crean and seem likely to make the same mistake again. We just don't have the right mentality from those running the ship. Either there aren't many expectations placed on the coaches, or else there isn't much in the way of consequences for failing to meet them. And, not surprisingly, that same culture seems to permeate down to the team as well.

You do realize that story is from 2 years ago, right? Is your point that Thad Matta would return to coaching for the right opportunity (a quote from that 2018 piece)?

I'd be good with Thad, as long as he's all in physically and mentally. But, honestly, it's pointless to have conversations about who we'd prefer as new coach. Archie will get another year. He shouldn't, if he fails to make the tournament again. But he will, even if we're left out again.
I'd much rather have Thad-like you said assuming he is mentally and physically recharged-than 67 year old Beilein.

Izzo is 65
Roy Williams is 69
Calipari is 61
K is 73
Beilein just turned 67 two weeks ago...
Those coaches are established at their schools. If it took 2-3 years to establish himself at IU he would be in his early 70's. I would think IU would go after someone like Beard before Beilein. Beilein is a great coach and mentor but IU needs longevity not a short term fix.

Those coaches are established at their schools. If it took 2-3 years to establish himself at IU he would be in his early 70's. I would think IU would go after someone like Beard before Beilein. Beilein is a great coach and mentor but IU needs longevity not a short term fix.
Maybe he's a "young" 67. Trump's 73; Biden's 77; Sanders' 78; Bloomberg's 78. These guys are vying for a 4-8 year gig that has to be a hell of a lot more physically/mentally taxing than coaching basketball. If coaching is something he still wants, he could put in a decade, retire, and leave us on better footing for the next guy.

How do you crunk? I have been looking for something new to do during IU games as they are unwatchable, even while drinking beer.

I agree about the coach talk. This probably my only post about a coach other than Archie and will be until he is gone. Everybody's list is the same so why post a list. I actually would like to see Archie finish out a 4th year when the core of HIS players become upperclassmen and to see if he can build on the team with 2021 recruits. I would like to see his final product.

I posted it because I'd probably prefer Matta over Beilein. That is nothing against Beilein. Just always thought Matta was real good coach and he is 15 years younger. I think he runs a similar system as Arch. His final 4 or 5 years at OSU got stale and mediocre so who knows why. The back is nice excuse.

Matta is scouting around. He interviewed for UGA last year. so doesn't really matter how old the article is. I think it apparent he wants to coach again if health permits. Matta wants the right opportunity. I think at one point in the past IU was his destination job. If he knows the IU job has a good chance of opening up next year, he might continue to play the waiting game another year especially if he just happens to know he'd be a top candidate.

Last edited:
Not only that, IU has pulled the wrong trigger at times, too. I hate to sound like a broken record -- but....Mike Davis? Really?

But, yeah, waited too long with Crean and seem likely to make the same mistake again. We just don't have the right mentality from those running the ship. Either there aren't many expectations placed on the coaches, or else there isn't much in the way of consequences for failing to meet them. And, not surprisingly, that same culture seems to permeate down to the team as well.
Its slmost as if our admins go out of their way to screw up everything with mens bbal. And now they will hold onto a coach out of his league and let beilein slip away

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT