ADVERTISEMENT

John Beilein was on the screen when I turned on the BTN a few minutes before game time.

Univee2

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2002
I thought, "hmmm, is this some weird foreshadowing or something?"

Easy to say now, but I didn't have a good feeling about last night's game. We started well and then just totally tanked. Archie Miller is a good man but he's not right for this level. While I hope it doesn't happen I don't see this team winning another game this season. Wrong coach; wrong system; wrong guys.

Some will say John Beilein is too old. Some say he'd never come back to college basketball. And while he's no Urban Meyer, Beilein, as Meyer, may not want his career to end on a bit of an incomplete note. Power5 coach with success at West Virginia and Michigan.

We need a proven commodity, not a mid-major, assistant, or this year's hot shot coach. We're not getting Stevens, Donovan or Beard. Beilein might be a good option. Seventy is the new fifty . . .

Easy to say now, but I didn't have a good feeling about last night's game. We started well and then just totally tanked. Archie Miller is a good man but he's not right for this level. While I hope it doesn't happen I don't see this team winning another game this season. Wrong coach; wrong system; wrong guys.

Some will say John Beilein is too old. Some say he'd never come back to college basketball. And while he's no Urban Meyer, Beilein, as Meyer, may not want his career to end on a bit of an incomplete note. Power5 coach with success at West Virginia and Michigan.

We need a proven commodity, not a mid-major, assistant, or this year's hot shot coach. We're not getting Stevens, Donovan or Beard. Beilein might be a good option. Seventy is the new fifty . . .
A change now appears imminent and IU has GOT to get it right. I don't think hiring someone who is already eligible for full social security benefits is the right choice. We need someone who can stabilize this ship for the next 10 yrs.

Reactions: ncthomas31
A change now appears imminent and IU has GOT to get it right. I don't think hiring someone who is already eligible for full social security benefits is the right choice. We need someone who can stabilize this ship for the next 10 yrs.
I’m not sure a change is “imminent”. It should be, but I’ll be surprised if it is.

That's funny, because when I saw him on the screen, my first thought was: "...hey, he doesn't look THAT old!" Tells me where our program is.

Reactions: .Gerdis
That's funny, because when I saw him on the screen, my first thought was: "...hey, he doesn't look THAT old!" Tells me where our program is.

Hey, he only turned 68 about 3 weeks ago, on 5 February.

He can do it for a few years before he's ready for the rocker . . .

Should’ve hired him in 2009 instead of Crean. Didn’t I hear he was on the list back then as a possible hire?

Beilein was not an overnight success at Michigan. There was a significant number of Victor club members who had lost patience before he turned the corner. Does the IU fanbase have 4-5 years of patience?

Did anyone notice that Beilein appeared to fall asleep during the interview? He may be a great coach but does he still have the stamina for this demanding job?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT