ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Buck Wtf. Has he been cloned

Yeah a 12 handicap is ridiculous to me. When I was single dropping heavy bucks on the latest greatest clubs (it's the shoes) and taking lessons I was a million miles away from a 12 handicap. I have friends who just "picked it up" and are good golfers. Lessons didn't do much for me. I could never feel what they said I should I feel. I think you are right. I needed lessons as a little kid. Very envious of those with a 12 handicap and improving
Same here.

I started golfing in 1996 (Baseball was my main 'I'm decent at it' sport growing up. I still play beer league softball) and was absolutely terrible. Probably averaged a 120-130 on public courses.

After a year I got that down to 95-105.

25 years later....I shoot 95-105.

Yeah a 12 handicap is ridiculous to me. When I was single dropping heavy bucks on the latest greatest clubs (it's the shoes) and taking lessons I was a million miles away from a 12 handicap. I have friends who just "picked it up" and are good golfers. Lessons didn't do much for me. I could never feel what they said I should I feel. I think you are right. I needed lessons as a little kid. Very envious of those with a 12 handicap and improving
Lessons don’t help. Just working on one thing at a time helps. It’s a progression.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

I've gone the other way. I'm about in the 9-11 range now. I'm lucky to break 80 1-2x/ year. Mostly in the 82-85 range.

Was a 4-6 handicap when I was a teenager. Even posted a few even par scores in high school and junior tournaments and won a little hardware. But I wasn't close to good enough compared with the really good players (though I did once beat this punk kid in a 9 hole match that ended up playing a little on the Canadian tour). My dad and grandparents had me playing with them since I was like 3 or 4.

By 16-17 I found that beer and getting laid was a lot more fun than golf on the weekends. I rarely played through college and only occasionally in my 20s. Joined a club at about 30 and started playing a lot with my friends out there. Our club has a lot of single digit caps (some very low, sub-scratch).... so had to work to just get back to where I am now and not embarrass myself out there.

I've gone the other way. I'm about in the 9-11 range now. I'm lucky to break 80 1-2x/ year. Mostly in the 82-85 range.

Was a 4-6 handicap when I was a teenager. Even posted a few even par scores in high school and junior tournaments and won a little hardware. But I wasn't close to good enough compared with the really good players (though I did once beat this punk kid in a 9 hole match that ended up playing a little on the Canadian tour). My dad and grandparents had me playing with them since I was like 3 or 4.

By 16-17 I found that beer and getting laid was a lot more fun than golf on the weekends. I rarely played through college and only occasionally in my 20s. Joined a club at about 30 and started playing a lot with my friends out there. Our club has a lot of single digit caps (some very low, sub-scratch).... so had to work to just get back to where I am now and not embarrass myself out there.
That's impressive! You could have played in college

I used to live on a Q School course in West Palm. It was amazing to see how many "old" guys were out there still chasing their dream. I thought it'd just be kids but it wasn't at all

Reactions: twenty02
Yeah great book.... the mental torture of Q school is harsh. Of course now, Q school doesn't even get you on the big tour..... only to Korn Ferry.
Q has a school? You all are always talking about this Q conspiracy. I didn't know they have a school for it.

Where do I sign up? 🤣

Yeah great book.... the mental torture of Q school is harsh. Of course now, Q school doesn't even get you on the big tour..... only to Korn Ferry.
I will definitely read it. And yes I cannot imagine the mental torture. So who are these "older" guys out there. Club pros still chasing a dream?

I will definitely read it. And yes I cannot imagine the mental torture. So who are these "older" guys out there. Club pros still chasing a dream?

All kinds of journeyman tour players... often they are guys that have made it onto the tour for years, but then slide back and lose their card. There are a lot of names you'll recognize.... including players that have won tournaments on the big show. A win only gets you a 2 year exemption.... that can quickly be fleeting.... and before you know it you're in your 40s trying to get back to where you once were.

The story about Jaxon Brigman has to be the worst of the worst. He comes from behind on the last round (6th round) of Q school finals - finals are brutally hard on their own to even get into... then you play 6 rounds - shoots 65 in final round..... is going to get his PGA Tour Card on the exact number.

His playing partner who keeps his card circled every birdie he made (7 birds, 11 pars, 65, -7). All good. Except the guy wrote down a par 4 rather than the birdie 3 on one hole, than Jaxon actually makes.

Jaxon is having an out of body experience.... is wigging out at the idea he just got his PGA Tour Card. Doesn't check the hole by hole scores on the card somehow. And signs for it.

But the scores he signed for adds to 66, not the 65 he actually shot. So the 66 is the official score. And he misses his tour card by one shot. After his family and everyone is in full celebration mode. Brutal. Guy never makes it on tour rest of his career, and he actually just died last year at age 50.

All kinds of journeyman tour players... often they are guys that have made it onto the tour for years, but then slide back and lose their card. There are a lot of names you'll recognize.... including players that have won tournaments on the big show. A win only gets you a 2 year exemption.... that can quickly be fleeting.... and before you know it you're in your 40s trying to get back to where you once were.

The story about Jaxon Brigman has to be the worst of the worst. He comes from behind on the last round (6th round) of Q school finals - finals are brutally hard on their own to even get into... then you play 6 rounds - shoots 65 in final round..... is going to get his PGA Tour Card on the exact number.

His playing partner who keeps his card circled every birdie he made (7 birds, 11 pars, 65, -7). All good. Except the guy wrote down a par 4 rather than the birdie 3 on one hole, than Jaxon actually makes.

Jaxon is having an out of body experience.... is wigging out at the idea he just got his PGA Tour Card. Doesn't check the hole by hole scores on the card somehow. And signs for it.

But the scores he signed for adds to 66, not the 65 he actually shot. So the 66 is the official score. And he misses his tour card by one shot. After his family and everyone is in full celebration mode. Brutal. Guy never makes it on tour rest of his career, and he actually just died last year at age 50.
Oh. My. God. That is Fing brutal!!!!!

All those journeyman are still probably making a decent living right? Doing what they love. And they can latch on at a club at 50 or whatever with good stories and history that would make them an attractive hire. I'm going to say it still beats any job I've ever had lol

All those journeyman are still probably making a decent living right? Doing what they love. And they can latch on at a club at 50 or whatever with good stories and history that would make them an attractive hire. I'm going to say it still beats any job I've ever had lol

Journeymen on the PGA Tour.... yeah pretty good life. Even the KF Tour is not too bad these days. But bouncing around on mini-tours..... pretty awful existence. Lucky to make enough to cover expenses, staying in dumpy towns/ motels playing crappy golf courses, competing for your own entry fees. Most burn out and go get real jobs by 30.

Even if you get status....say on the KF Tour... that's a 1 year privilege. You've either gotta perform or your back to the starting gates (q school) with everyone else next year.

Journeymen on the PGA Tour.... yeah pretty good life. Even the KF Tour is not too bad these days. But bouncing around on mini-tours..... pretty awful existence. Lucky to make enough to cover expenses, staying in dumpy towns/ motels playing crappy golf courses, competing for your own entry fees. Most burn out and go get real jobs by 30.
Ugh interesting. Yeah that's shitty. That's how Soccer was before mls took off. Play usisl. Then go play indoor. Survive til 30 with no transferable skills. Not smart

Gee, thanks.

Just gonna grab this rope....and this shower rod over here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT