ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Delaney’s successor will be announced tomorrow (Tue) at Noon ET

dillonpgp

Freshman
Feb 21, 2006
BTN will have coverage. Speculation centering on Northwestern AD Jim Phillips, but the secrecy is very tight.

If it’s Phillips, there won’t be a debate. He and Fitzgerald did everything possible to submarine the player’s union vote.

Reactions: crossfire74
Schefter of ESPN says it will be Kevin Warren, the COO of the Minnesota Vikings. He will become the first African American commissioner of a P5 conference.

This ought to be interesting....although I'm not sure anyone can be as bad as Delany!!

This ought to be interesting....although I'm not sure anyone can be as bad as Delany!!

The B1G conference alignments were no good but he flew in the face of a lot of critics to put things like the B1G network in place. Even within the B1G network era, individual team revenue went from $25 mil in 2013 to $52.1 mil this year. With 14 teams, that's an astronomical increase in revenue. When conferences like the SEC are signing deals that lock them into 2033, we are signing short term deals that end in 2022-23. This was smart because FOX viewership increased by 25% in the first year of the B1G so we are bound to sign a considerably larger contract on the next one.

He gets flack but he has had to make a few miracles to bring the B1G to the top of individual team revenue. Considering the teams in conference haven't been able to win but a few national titles in the 2 big sports the last 25 years.

Reactions: indy1203
Not sure I agree regarding Delany. BTN was groundbreaking and super successful. East coast expansion was pretty cool too. Surprised that Maryland and Rutgers joined but glad they did. I could see us adding two to four more and end with 20.
I love BTN but it's difficult to watch when your team sucks.
If the objective was to grow the conference in revenue, market, and influence he has succeeded. Not a fan of the football conference divisions but a championship game in football was basically required.
Interesting to see where we go from here. I think Delany was an extremely successful executive.
Successful executives have agendas that don't include everyone. Delany was no different. I think he was very successful even if I don't like everything he did.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: Hoosier009
East coast guy

?? Outside his freshman year of college, he has literally spent no time on the east coast.

Grew up and went to school in Arizona (minus freshman year at Penn)
Got a ND law degree, and has spent the rest of his career in Missouri/Michigan/Minnesota

I get why IU football fans hate Delany, but in all honesty under his leadership this conference has been the model for all conferences to follow and he took the Big to unprecedented heights. I feel sorry for his successor, because those are huge shoes to fill.

I get why IU football fans hate Delany, but in all honesty under his leadership this conference has been the model for all conferences to follow and he took the Big to unprecedented heights. I feel sorry for his successor, because those are huge shoes to fill.

The truth is, prior to this revenue stream we had open ended end zones. Think about if we had that going into this year. We would look like a HS team. This revenue has allowed us to improve our facilities which in turn is a big reason why our recruiting has picked up. There are a lot of programs that were above us but it's hard to think IU hasn't improved from the 80-95th best team in the country to where we are now. Or that we won't continue to climb. OSU and UM haven't really risen as much as the bottom half of the conference has begun to level out the playing field.

This is the reason I am certain we will end up having a program with some success at some point. The amount of money coming in for the B1G (SEC, B1G 12, ACC, Pac-12) is beginning to put these programs in other conferences at such a drastic financial disadvantage. IMO, I think this will likely force the big 5 to separate from the NCAA far down the road or alter how the current model works. Today they pay large amounts of money to teams to play them because that is what the other teams are doing to get wins. That fee keeps increasing. Those funds are how the smaller colleges fund their programs and at some point Universities will find a way not to pay that anymore. If the power 5 split off in an agreement, they could cut those smaller teams out and retain the same fan support/revenue without sharing it.

Anyways, I am going off topic. Delaney put us at a disadvantage in the modernized B1G simply due to conference alignment but going back to 2000, he has actually leveled the playing field for us financially. I'll take it.

ADVERTISEMENT