ADVERTISEMENT

Jerome Johnson Declares for the NFL Draft:

red hornet

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2019
I was hoping he'd come back to get a whole year from our strength coach. This may open PT for Robbins, D. Lewis, etc.

Reactions: vesuvius13
This definitely is the player that hurts next season the most. Not to take away from the other guys who have gone pro at other positions, as they are just as good but because he is the 2nd DT to go pro. With JJ and Swann now gone, we have a large hole in our depth at that position.

With Crider we have the UM center coming in to replace him. With Jamar Johnson we have Marcelino Ball and Raheem Layne coming back so you can shift things around with Fitzgerald to figure out a good combo. With Whop we have DJ Matthews coming in.

But for DT, although we do have Elliott and Nofoagatoto'a coming back (or so I hope), DL is a place you really need good depth. Hopefully the boys are ready to be the next man up!

Gross. This hurts the most, IMO.

Really disappointed (saddened [not upset at "him"]...) by his leaving...

Hope it works out well for him...

Losing both he and Swann really hurts our DL depth in a big way...😞

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet

i hate to lose either one of them but i think dline is one of our deepest positions.

This definitely is the player that hurts next season the most. Not to take away from the other guys who have gone pro at other positions, as they are just as good but because he is the 2nd DT to go pro. With JJ and Swann now gone, we have a large hole in our depth at that position.

With Crider we have the UM center coming in to replace him. With Jamar Johnson we have Marcelino Ball and Raheem Layne coming back so you can shift things around with Fitzgerald to figure out a good combo. With Whop we have DJ Matthews coming in.

But for DT, although we do have Elliott and Nofoagatoto'a coming back (or so I hope), DL is a place you really need good depth. Hopefully the boys are ready to be the next man up!
Lewis has the ability to be a big time player next year but we will have wait and see. I also see them moving Person back down into the 3 spot as he showed he could play well this year.

Lewis has the ability to be a big time player next year but we will have wait and see. I also see them moving Person back down into the 3 spot as he showed he could play well this year.
Sio is a proven NT, so I'm cool there. The rest of the crew is going to have to scrap & prove themselves.

I'm still more concerned about DE than DT.

DT Stats:
Swann: 4 total tackles (2 solo, 2 assisted) 0 sacks
Elliott: 14 (9 and 5) 0 sacks
Sio: 12 (5 and 7) 0 sacks
JJ: 18 (12 and 6) 4 sacks and an INT.

Obviously Jerome stands out (I wouldn't deny that) and DT stats aren't always the best factor on a good player because sometimes taking on 2 OL is just as important as the tackle itself.......however, looking at PT discrepancy between Sio, Elliott and Johnson, the starting front line shouldn't fall off drastically by any means. We just really need to add depth whether that be internally through the guys that worked their tail off all season just waiting in the wings....or through HS/Transfers.

I just have a feeling that Damarjhe Lewis will fill this void nicely.

I'm not concerned at all about Jerome Johnson going to the NFL (or attempting to). He was a 5th year senior......I know he had a chance to come back due to CoVid but I can't realistically be upset about not coming for a 6th year. He definitely was our best D-lineman but I like what we have there left. I like Sio and Elliot quite a bit, and I'm sure they will get better after another off-season. More disappointed with Jamar, but we have a lot of depth there, too, so we will be fine.

I'm not concerned at all about Jerome Johnson going to the NFL (or attempting to). He was a 5th year senior......I know he had a chance to come back due to CoVid but I can't realistically be upset about not coming for a 6th year. He definitely was our best D-lineman but I like what we have there left. I like Sio and Elliot quite a bit, and I'm sure they will get better after another off-season. More disappointed with Jamar, but we have a lot of depth there, too, so we will be fine.

Do know if Alfred Bryant will be back next year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT