ADVERTISEMENT

Jerome Hunter

I thought Hunter looked great last night. No turnovers, three assists and fairly efficient and selective with his shots. Of the kids that have been in the program a while, he's the only one that looked significantly improved to me.
I could tell race has improved a lot. He had foul problems, but he will be a real solid piece for us next to TJD up front. TJD is gonna average 20 and 10 he is a beast. Franklin might be a bit better as well, need to see more of him, love his D. Needs to be able to shoot.

underwhelmed with rob and al, but was expecting that.

freshmen made Me very excited.

I thought Hunter looked great last night. No turnovers, three assists and fairly efficient and selective with his shots. Of the kids that have been in the program a while, he's the only one that looked significantly improved to me.
I agree that Hunter played well, but disagree that he is the only one who has improved significantly. TJD and Race have certainly gotten a lot better. I will also argue that Rob may have gotten a lot better. Time will tell and it’s way too early this season the make any absolute statements. Lot of good things shown in the game and plenty of things to work on. I suppose I would much rather have issues crop up now so the team can focus and work to improve. I’m just happy to watch some college BB again...

I agree that Hunter played well, but disagree that he is the only one who has improved significantly. TJD and Race have certainly gotten a lot better. I will also argue that Rob may have gotten a lot better. Time will tell and it’s way too early this season the make any absolute statements. Lot of good things shown in the game and plenty of things to work on. I suppose I would much rather have issues crop up now so the team can focus and work to improve. I’m just happy to watch some college BB again...
If Rob is healthy he is getting better. That guy has had it rough as has a lot of others. I remember a few years ago I thought the towel boy even got an injury and missed five games. I'm with you that it was just good to watch IU Basketball again.

Rob hit his threes, if he keeps that up he will be fine.
Rob needs to be more aggressive in being ready to, and wanting to shoot.
He started out the game sleep walking. Lander subbed in and was immediately aggressive.
Rob was then more aggressive after coming back in, but he still passed on a couple of 3 opportunities after inside out passes that he should have taken.

Rob hit his threes, if he keeps that up he will be fine. His ball handling and awareness are still below average. Need Lander to be the starting PG for this team if we are gonna be a top 20 team.
Is it bad form to discuss Lander's do?

A couple of rubys and emeralds in that thing and he could audition for the next Cleopatra remake..

Reactions: Lucy01
Is it bad form to discuss Lander's do?

A couple of rubys and emeralds in that thing and he could audition for the next Cleopatra remake..

better than the yellow bush look he was sporting.

lander reminds me of the young Kentucky guards I’ve seen for the past decade. He can draw a penis on his head for all I care, I think we got us a baller.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Rob needs to be more aggressive in being ready to, and wanting to shoot.
He started out the game sleep walking. Lander subbed in and was immediately aggressive.
Rob was then more aggressive after coming back in, but he still passed on a couple of 3 opportunities after inside out passes that he should have taken.

oh I was underwhelmed with him for sure. If he misses those threes you could say he had the worst game of anyone on the squad.

oh I was underwhelmed with him for sure. If he misses those threes you could say he had the worst game of anyone on the squad.

Rob is a really good offensive guard and a good to great defensive guard....but he isn't a point guard.

He constantly slows the tempo and dribbles the air out of the ball.

I have never understood that as I would bet that Rob is our fastest guy on the team with and without the ball....but he is constantly slowing down the tempo.

Franklin is always pushing. Galloway really pushes. Lander looks like he will push it.

TJD is probably one of the best big guys in the country in transition.

Archie has always talked about how he wants a UNC offense which is transition first and push the tempo.

It's why we went on a 28-2 run, mainly because the freshman plus TJD overwhelmed them in transition.

Galloway offensively is going to be a huge improvement over Smith offensively even if he shoots the same from the perimeter. Trey looks to be a classic great, pain in the ass, crafty college player. He's got a lot of sizzle in his game.

I love Race but I think our best lineup, particularly offensively is going to be TJD at the 5, Hunter at the 4 and Galloway at the 3.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Rob is a really good offensive guard and a good to great defensive guard....but he isn't a point guard.

I have never understood that as I would bet that Rob is our fastest guy on the team with and without the ball....but he is constantly slowing down the tempo.

Franklin is always pushing. Galloway really pushes. Lander looks like he will push it.

Archie has always talked about how he wants a UNC offense which is transition first and push the tempo.

It's why we went on a 28-2 run, mainly because the freshman plus TJD overwhelmed them in transition.

Galloway offensively is going to be a huge improvement over Smith offensively even if he shoots the same from the perimeter. Trey looks to be a classic great, pain in the ass, crafty college player. He's got a lot of sizzle in his game.

I love Race but I think our best lineup, particularly offensively is going to be TJD at the 5, Hunter at the 4 and Galloway at the 3.

I totally disagree with really good offensive guard. Unless something really changes, like he shoots 40% from three this year, I would say he is a below average offensive B1G guard. Why Lander did not start over Rob or Al I am still kinda puzzled about.

Offensively I would agree. The best Line up will be those three plus Lander, then the jury is still out on the 5th(Al/Franklin/Rob). Although, Archie said Race could be the most improved player in the country. So I expect to see more from him, or Archie is gonna start moving closer to Crean in my book.

I totally disagree with really good offensive guard. Unless something really changes, like he shoots 40% from three this year, I would say he is a below average offensive B1G guard. Why Lander did not start over Rob or Al I am still kinda puzzled about.

Offensively I would agree. The best Line up will be those three plus Lander, then the jury is still out on the 5th(Al/Franklin/Rob). Although, Archie said Race could be the most improved player in the country. So I expect to see more from him, or Archie is gonna start moving closer to Crean in my book.

Rob meaning he's a pretty good scorer, especially for his size, but he's pretty good with the ball in his hands and you need to score.

He's not a distributor. The ball sticks in his hands too much and he slows everything down.

In a game of one on one, I think Rob probably beats every guard we have. When it comes to initiating offense he's been subpar.

FYI, supposedly Rob has been killing Lander in practice when they go against each other. Makes sense, Rob is stronger, quicker and older.

Still watching the ball move in the second half of the first half with Galloway, Franklin, Lander, Hunter/Geronimo and TJD was really nice to see, and it's big reason why we went on a 28-2 run.

Rob meaning he's a pretty good scorer, especially for his size, but he's pretty good with the ball in his hands and you need to score.

He's not a distributor. The ball sticks in his hands too much and he slows everything down.

In a game of one on one, I think Rob probably beats every guard we have. When it comes to initiating offense he's been subpar.

FYI, supposedly Rob has been killing Lander in practice when they go against each other. Makes sense, Rob is stronger, quicker and older.

Still watching the ball move in the second half of the first half with Galloway, Franklin, Lander, Hunter/Geronimo and TJD was really nice to see, and it's big reason why we went on a 28-2 run.

I remember last year Fatjohns reported Brunk was owning TJD and actually went on to say he was undefeated in one on one battles. These reports are so meaningless, and it sure seems a lot of them are strangely opposite of the report.

We have had a very small Sample size of Lander.... But he did not hesitate and was very comfortable with the ball in his hand. The ball did not stick, he made some dime passes, and I am thrilled with how fast he can play.

better than the yellow bush look he was sporting.

lander reminds me of the young Kentucky guards I’ve seen for the past decade. He can draw a penis on his head for all I care, I think we got us a baller.
Is some closeted repressed DF actually complaining about hair, again?

Rob hit his threes, if he keeps that up he will be fine. His ball handling and awareness are still below average. Need Lander to be the starting PG for this team if we are gonna be a top 20 team.
I agree that Lander needs to eventually be the pg for IU to reach their top potential. Rob will be better as an off guard. I actually liked watching Anthony and his awareness last night as well. He and Trey really seemed to understand the game including spacing and communication. Once Anthony catches up to the speed of the college game, he will be a solid player.

Reactions: HOOS13R
Guessing Hunter will have to learn to rebound pretty well for that lineup to work
Archie alluded to that a couple times in his post game comments. Specifically mentioned how much smaller they would be this year and said Trey Galloway would have to a better rebounder. Only mentioned two guys who are rebounding well being TJD and RT.

Last edited:

I agree that Race is a player I really like on the floor and JH was the first player I saw diving after loose balls last night. He and Race have the ability to bring the hustle. One brings rebounding and one brings shooting. Too bad we cannot combine them.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I agree that Race is a player I really like on the floor and JH was the first player I saw diving after loose balls last night. He and Race have the ability to bring the hustle. One brings rebounding and one brings shooting. Too bad we cannot combine them.

I'm a huge Race fan, huge but I was hoping he'd be smoother around the rim offensively.

That's what really made Juwan Morgan a next level player, his old man moves around the rim in traffic.

Right now Race is the opposite of smooth. Has some Justin Smith in him vs Morgan.

I love everything else about him and his game but he won't become a next level player until he can be more efficient in traffic around the rim.

Galloway, in comparison, is really smooth in traffic around the rim. That's going to serve him really well offensively throughout his career. If he can develop a consistent shot then look out.

I have no idea what data would lend itself to being interpreted as Rob Phinisee is a "really good offensive" guard

Reactions: baileyiu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT