ADVERTISEMENT

Javonte Brown

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
aka Javonte Brown-Ferguson, late of U CONN, says the reason he left U CONN was the prior departure of asst coach Hunter, who's now at IU. Says he will look at several schools, but specifically mentions IU. Was listed at 6'1"220 lbs coming out of HS; now said to be 7'0" 250 lbs. Reclassed from '21 to '20 last year. 18 years old now. From Canada, got a late start at U CONN due to COVID-related immigration issues. Has only played 4 minutes this year....apparently they have 2 veteran centers(?).

aka Javonte Brown-Ferguson, late of U CONN, says the reason he left U CONN was the prior departure of asst coach Hunter, who's now at IU. Says he will look at several schools, but specifically mentions IU. Was listed at 6'1"220 lbs coming out of HS; now said to be 7'0" 250 lbs. Reclassed from '21 to '20 last year. 18 years old now. From Canada, got a late start at U CONN due to COVID-related immigration issues. Has only played 4 minutes this year....apparently they have 2 veteran centers(?).

That's one hell of a growth spurt.

Wow. That is exciting. Would be fantastic if it came to fruition.

UCONN has a pretty good history with developing even raw bigs. Sounds good on paper, but there must be a problem if he feels he has no future there, nobody mentoring him or encouraging him to stay

I have difficulty buying that an assistant, granted that may have been his primary recruiter and come to IU, is good enough reason to transfer this soon, and why has he not played 5 minutes this season? Sounds like we're locked into the next Peter Jurkin out of desperation. Also makes me think that they don't think TJD is guaranteed to come back, although that would be a wrong move for him

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I have difficulty buying that an assistant, granted that may have been his primary recruiter and come to IU, is good enough reason to transfer this soon, and why has he not played 5 minutes this season? Sounds like we're locked into the next Peter Jurkin out of desperation. Also makes me think that they don't think TJD is guaranteed to come back, although that would be a wrong move for him
for him or you?

Huh? The kid must love Hunter. JBF was just behind a lot of size at UCONN. We will need someone like him on the bench next season.

Huh? The kid must love Hunter. JBF was just behind a lot of size at UCONN. We will need someone like him on the bench next season.
That's a lot of love for an assistant coach, to go from UCONN (who does develop bigs) to follow him to IU (who has little recent history of that, and I'd say that Cody doesn't count, he developed little while at IU) ... just saying, does not seem like a rational decision that any coaches should encourage after half a season there. It smells rotten, and this is player whose good enough to gather like 5 min. this year, there's a problem.

That's a lot of love for an assistant coach, to go from UCONN (who does develop bigs) to follow him to IU (who has little recent history of that, and I'd say that Cody doesn't count, he developed little while at IU)

So, you theorize that IU doesn't develop bigs, but you don't want to count a former IU big* whose development while at IU could help advance your theory?
*HINT: Said IU big did not play under the current IU coaching staff.

just saying, does not seem like a rational decision

Considering your big man development theory, I don't think I want to consider you an authority on what is rational.
just saying

Just smoke your cigarette and practice playing H-O-R-S-E and let the adults talk. Good lord you’re an embarrassment.

That's a lot of love for an assistant coach, to go from UCONN (who does develop bigs) to follow him to IU (who has little recent history of that, and I'd say that Cody doesn't count, he developed little while at IU) ... just saying, does not seem like a rational decision that any coaches should encourage after half a season there. It smells rotten, and this is player whose good enough to gather like 5 min. this year, there's a problem.
Calhoun doesn't coach there anymore..

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I will say, I watched what little highlights I could find from his high school days. He didn't look very good to me.

I will say, I watched what little highlights I could find from his high school days. He didn't look very good to me.

I thought he has promise.

90% of the highlights are put backs, dunks, or blocks. On the few 10 footers I saw it looked like he had a decent touch.

As I recall, he was only about #120 on 247 composite; however, he did have an impressive offer list including his finalists U CONN, A&M, and Kansas. Also, Marquette, IU and many others.

Also, the U CONN coach spoke very highly of him after the first week or two of practice. There is a tape of that August interview on the internet. What happened after that I don't know, other than U CONN apparently has some experienced bigs. I saw one story about Canadian prospects in the '20 class that listed him 3-4 spots ahead of Purdue's Edy, who apparently also reclassed to '20 from '21(?).

I don't want to pass on a 7'0" big right now unless there are attitude issues. There was no evidence of that prior to him leaving U CONN. He was a very good student and was said to have a good attitude.

Apparently the same thing happened with Hunter when he was an asst coach at Nebraska. That kid, whoever he was, did not end up going to Hunter's next school.

As far as the comparison to Jurkin, I believe this kid's rating was higher, even with his reclassification, and his offer list was quite good.

As far as being "locked into" this kid.......I don't know whether IU has even contacted him. What I read was that he was leaving because Hunter left. And although he mentioned that he wanted to talk with many schools, the only one he mentioned by name was IU.

You can't teach size.....but everything else with the right attitude can be learned. This could be a great win for IU!! Go bring him to Indiana coaches!

He’s not Hunter Dickinson but he’s 7 foot and mobile. We need to start developing these guys kinds of guys or we’ll never recruit them.

Reactions: birdforbogey
The only way this kid makes sense is if he can play this year. We likely have Brunk for another season and another true center in Duncomb coming in. From his film he looks like a project. I would be surprised if Archie brings him on.

The only way this kid makes sense is if he can play this year. We likely have Brunk for another season and another true center in Duncomb coming in. From his film he looks like a project. I would be surprised if Archie brings him on.

You people kill me. That’s the perfect situation to have a project with. When you have guys like Brunk and Duncomb.

Hunter was also their primary post player coach. I don't understand why some people expect 18 year olds to dominate as soon as they get here. Could it be UCONN has experienced players in front of him? Could it be a system fit issue? I haven't seen him play, but if he can give TJD a 5-10 min break a game or allow him to play the 4 some, he adds to the team. We need bodies at the 5! What would a 5 have to do with TJD coming back? He will either have to gain 30-40 lbs or develop a jumper to be a legit NBA prospect. There aren't and draft projections that have him sniffing the 1st round. Most have him 50th or worse. Playing alongside a 5 would really help him. His family values education, and he didn't even test the waters last year. I just don't get the idea he is going pro. I'd worry more about a transfer than an early entry, this year and I don't think there is any chance that will happen). I just don't understand some people. Maybe at least look at his current draft stock?

Amazing to me how many people think no depth is OK. So next year you feel good about our frontcourt consisting of a 6'9" freshman who hasn't played a minute of college ball and isn't a 5*, and the possibility that Brunk might come back for a 5th season... oh yeah and he has a bad back. We may not need this kid, but we need more frontcourt help and that's not singular.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Amazing to me how many people think no depth is OK. So next year you feel good about our frontcourt consisting of a 6'9" freshman who hasn't played a minute of college ball and isn't a 5*, and the possibility that Brunk might come back for a 5th season... oh yeah and he has a bad back. We may not need this kid, but we need more frontcourt help and that's not singular.
Lot of time between now and next season. No reason to worry about it until this season is over with,

Lot of time between now and next season. No reason to worry about it until this season is over with,
I"m just replying to someone who seems to think a freshman and a huge question mark of a possible 5th year senior is a "solid" frontcourt. As I said, we may not need this guy, but we sure could use some frontcourt depth... this year and especially next.

You people kill me. That’s the perfect situation to have a project with. When you have guys like Brunk and Duncomb.
If you haven’t noticed Archie would rather hold the scholarship than pick up a project. He knows he has his pick of the litter in Indiana and surrounding areas.

You can't teach size.....but everything else with the right attitude can be learned. This could be a great win for IU!! Go bring him to Indiana coaches!
If he can walk and chew gum at the same time, I say we give him a try. You're so right when you say you can't teach height. We haven't had a really big man (height and weight wise) to challenge the other bigs in the league in some time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT