ADVERTISEMENT

JaQuan Lyle arrested in Evansville...

I'm not questioning his ability to coach and he probably is good to his players. The coach before him tried to discipline players and lost his job over it. JaQuan was a special case for him. To do what he needed to do would have meant hurting the player's reputation with the college coaches and probably drove him off to another school.

Comments Burkhart made about the Duncan family have been inappropriate and made him a jerk. The Duncan kids off the court are very good kids, and students. My mention of the Duncan family earlier was in response to these comments

Lyle got away with a second technical foul by having his AD come negotiate with the refs at mid court to change a punch to a Central player into a common foul. I was disappointed with Andy Elkins, the officials, and Burkhart for leaving him in the game and allowing the call to be changed. Getting away with a punch and the example Burkhart sets on the sidelines make it hard to teach JaQuan respect on the court. .

I saw Greensburg play Bosse in the regional back in 2013. The Bulldogs had plenty of physical talent but the Pirates (McIntosh / Sellers / Welage) absolutely destroyed them. A big part of that was coaching and a lack of discipline in their play. Sellers dunked on them and you could see them quit right before your eyes.

I'm not questioning his ability to coach and he probably is good to his players. The coach before him tried to discipline players and lost his job over it. JaQuan was a special case for him. To do what he needed to do would have meant hurting the player's reputation with the college coaches and probably drove him off to another school.

Comments Burkhart made about the Duncan family have been inappropriate and made him a jerk. The Duncan kids off the court are very good kids, and students. My mention of the Duncan family earlier was in response to these comments

Lyle got away with a second technical foul by having his AD come negotiate with the refs at mid court to change a punch to a Central player into a common foul. I was disappointed with Andy Elkins, the officials, and Burkhart for leaving him in the game and allowing the call to be changed. Getting away with a punch and the example Burkhart sets on the sidelines make it hard to teach JaQuan respect on the court. .

I don't know anything about the Central deal. I know JaQuan was a handful.

My son played some with the Duncan twins. The were quite respectful kids. The dad is another story.

My son played some with the Duncan twins. The were quite respectful kids. The dad is another story.
Did the dad start a shoe company?

Ha...not quite to the Ball level. But basically of that vein.

The dad, not the boys.

Well said. Kids were as good as you could ask for in spite of Dad. I think the twins and Ernie were home schooled through Jr High

Kicked out of Pistons and lost his cool. He was seen in this bar during the week OSU classes began this past. There started speculation from some that he wasn't going back. I've been saying something like this was going to happen and that he would not finish his college career. He quit several times on his high school team and has done the same to his college team Terrible teammate!

You can take the kid out of Bosse, but you can't take the Bosse out of the kid. Another good athlete from that school that throws away his opportunity.
Andy Elkins is the only decent kid I can remember coming out of Bosse. And that was 25 years ago.

I used to talk with the dad at the games. I learned a lot about the current recruiting status of local players. He was pretty accurate as it turned out, so he did have good information. He told me at the game JaQuan was suspended against Harrison what really happened. JaQuan told everyone he missed the bus.

I knew Ernie. through my son. Everette and Stanley were friends with my daughter. Despite often constant taunting by opposing fans, I never saw those 3 boys react to other players, or anything off the court. I haven't seen much of Robin or Bubba, but I would expect they are of similar focus and character. Despite being a little different, the dad has raised some good kids and that includes his daughter. You never hear they were at a party or they were out doing things that get high school kids in trouble.

I used to talk with the dad at the games. I learned a lot about the current recruiting status of local players. He was pretty accurate as it turned out, so he did have good information. He told me at the game JaQuan was suspended against Harrison what really happened. JaQuan told everyone he missed the bus.

I knew Ernie. through my son. Everette and Stanley were friends with my daughter. Despite often constant taunting by opposing fans, I never saw those 3 boys react to other players, or anything off the court. I haven't seen much of Robin or Bubba, but I would expect they are of similar focus and character. Despite being a little different, the dad has raised some good kids and that includes his daughter. You never hear they were at a party or they were out doing things that get high school kids in trouble.

You're exactly right. The dad raised great kids. They were nothing but respectful around me. Great teammates from what I saw. The dad was always friendly to me. He was different and ruled over the boys. I think the boys lost their mother in high school when her trailer was hit by a tornado. I never could understand if dad was married to her or not. They seemed to be more than one women invloved.

You're exactly right. The dad raised great kids. They were nothing but respectful around me. Great teammates from what I saw. The dad was always friendly to me. He was different and ruled over the boys. I think the boys lost their mother in high school when her trailer was hit by a tornado. I never could understand if dad was married to her or not. They seemed to be more than one women invloved.
The kids don't have the same mother. I'm not 100% sure which kids belonged to the woman that was killed in the tornado. The experience affected them all even if only a step mother. If I remember correctly, the mom was in one part of the trailer and died while the dad and others survived. The storm caused a significant amount of damage across a long path from the Ellis Park horse track and into Newburgh. and rural communities east. The terrible part of the storm is it happened at night and seemed to avoid open areas. It hit where it would do the most damage. 23 died in that tornado with most coming from the trailer park.

The kids don't have the same mother. I'm not 100% sure which kids belonged to the woman that was killed in the tornado. The experience affected them all even if only a step mother. If I remember correctly, the mom was in one part of the trailer and died while the dad and others survived. The storm caused a significant amount of damage across a long path from the Ellis Park horse track and into Newburgh. and rural communities east. The terrible part of the storm is it happened at night and seemed to avoid open areas. It hit where it would do the most damage. 23 died in that tornado with most coming from the trailer park.
That tornado was horrible. It just missed my parent's home in Newburgh. I remember some meteorologist saying a storm that strong could have easily killed 400 people.

That tornado was horrible. It just missed my parent's home in Newburgh. I remember some meteorologist saying a storm that strong could have easily killed 400 people.
Newburgh was very fortunate. I helped with the cleanup effort through our church and people would show me where they were while their house was being destroyed around them. It is amazing more people weren't killed from the debris as there was often little protection once their roof and walls were gone or collapsed.

It went through rural Vanderburgh County but managed to hit the trailer park.

Reactions: 76Frosh
Bosse, from what I have been told, was a nice school until the early to mid 80's.

There are some beautiful homes around Bosse, but there are also very bad crime ridden apartment buildings south of the school.

I have seen too many fights with Bosse at Enlow Field that have either been on the field or in the crowd. It is the only school I have ever seen that happen.
Sunburst apartments?

Newburgh was very fortunate. I helped with the cleanup effort through our church and people would show me where they were while their house was being destroyed around them. It is amazing more people weren't killed from the debris as there was often little protection once their roof and walls were gone or collapsed.

Came through Boonville as well. .

Crossroads?

Sunburst apartments?
That is the biggest problem area in the city. I don't know why we just don't park a couple of cops in the parking lot. It seems they get called there often enough to just stay there 24/7. A cop told me about another smaller but violent apartment building south of the school. It seems it is where a lot of gang members live if they don't live in Sunburst.

If not already, why don't they set up security cameras in the parking lot of these crime ridden apartment complexes?

Reactions: stollcpa
If not already, why don't they set up security cameras in the parking lot of these crime ridden apartment complexes?
The city has a truck made from an armored car that is a mobile video unit. They used to park it in areas like this, but a community organizer complained that it created a bad image. I say it is the crime that creates the bad image.

Reactions: BigMobe
I have been one of JaQuan's critics over the years. One of my kids ran into JaQuan this week (I won't say which one) and was friendly and interested in what they were doing. He was doing something that shows me he may have grown up this week. That was followed up by a message that was forwarded on social media of a very well written public apology. Where my kid ran into him fit with his apology, so for now, I am giving him the benefit of a doubt. I hope he finds a place to continue his education and takes advantage of his experience and can become a role model.

I've always been a 2nd, 3rd and probably 4th chance guy. Really hope this kid gets it together. No reason he still can't reach his dreams of getting paid to play hoops. Just a little different path. Wish him good luck.

I have been one of JaQuan's critics over the years. One of my kids ran into JaQuan this week (I won't say which one) and was friendly and interested in what they were doing. He was doing something that shows me he may have grown up this week. That was followed up by a message that was forwarded on social media of a very well written public apology. Where my kid ran into him fit with his apology, so for now, I am giving him the benefit of a doubt. I hope he finds a place to continue his education and takes advantage of his experience and can become a role model.

UE or USI?

I'm guessing UE wouldn't be a very good fit.

If he transferred to USI (D2), would he have to sit out a year?

UE or USI?

I'm guessing UE wouldn't be a very good fit.

If he transferred to USI (D2), would he have to sit out a year?

JaQuan needs to get out of Eville. His best option would be to beg Matta to take him back. If not that, playing for a no nonsense disciplinarian like Marshall at Wichita State would be great choice.

JaQuan needs to get out of Eville. His best option would be to beg Matta to take him back. If not that, playing for a no nonsense disciplinarian like Marshall at Wichita State would be great choice.
JaQuan doesn't appear to be a good fit for UE. The old guard fans would have a fit. Someone like Marty Simmons might be a good coach for JaQuan if he means what he has said recently. It would have to be determined if he wanted to be a good team mate and stop listening to outside influences.

Who knows, maybe he can apply or a hardship waiver and not lose a year of eligibility. I have heard it being used before. I don't see him playing at USI, although Stein, Hanson, and Lyle would make a nice trio of local guards. I'm not sure if anyone else would get a chance to shoot.

The question is, why did he leave OSU?

Courting the realm of rampant conjecture? Why do hormone-juiced teenagers do anything? JaQuan is in timeout - imagine his prospects might be better served by less in the way of gossipy speculation. Real question is has he learned anything/enough to effect a course correction, and for that, only time will tell. Your mention of a hardship waiver notwithstanding, could be needs a year to get it together before whatever comes next...

JaQuan doesn't appear to be a good fit for UE. The old guard fans would have a fit. Someone like Marty Simmons might be a good coach for JaQuan if he means what he has said recently. It would have to be determined if he wanted to be a good team mate and stop listening to outside influences.

Who knows, maybe he can apply or a hardship waiver and not lose a year of eligibility. I have heard it being used before. I don't see him playing at USI, although Stein, Hanson, and Lyle would make a nice trio of local guards. I'm not sure if anyone else would get a chance to shoot.

He won't give straight answer why he left Ohio State. His grades were fine and he wasn't in any trouble. UCLA, Kansas, Gonzaga, Arizona, Arizona St, Oregon and Missouri are inquiring.

Courting the realm of rampant conjecture? Why do hormone-juiced teenagers do anything? JaQuan is in timeout - imagine his prospects might be better served by less in the way of gossipy speculation. Real question is has he learned anything/enough to effect a course correction, and for that, only time will tell. Your mention of a hardship waiver notwithstanding, could be needs a year to get it together before whatever comes next...
No, I'm not concerned with his hormones. His ability or desire to play at another school depends on factors that would be asked by other programs and might dictate where he will be a good fit.

Did he leave the team because his academic standing was an issue? Did he have something internal with the team that was causing him to leave? Did Matta ask him to leave? Did he decide he no longer wants to play college basketball? We don't know if he even wants to play basketball. I've not heard he isn't going to attend OSU, but only that he quit the team. Maybe he found some money or plans to fund school without a basketball scholarship.

I'm not sure a year off would be a good thing for him, but that would be a decision he would need to make.

OK, I don't know the first thing about what kind of influences (good or bad) he has at home. He's already tried (twice, really) with the "elite program, far from home" thing. And it hasn't worked out well for him. I'm sure he's still got his sights set on a pro career. But I just have to wonder how many top programs are going to take a chance on him.

If he transfers and has to sit out a year, does his scholly count towards their limit for the year he sits? I'm not very familiar with those rules.

OK, I don't know the first thing about what kind of influences (good or bad) he has at home. He's already tried (twice, really) with the "elite program, far from home" thing. And it hasn't worked out well for him. I'm sure he's still got his sights set on a pro career. But I just have to wonder how many top programs are going to take a chance on him.

If he transfers and has to sit out a year, does his scholly count towards their limit for the year he sits? I'm not very familiar with those rules.
Yes a transfer counts toward the scholarship numbers.

Reactions: stollcpa
UCLA, Kansas, Gonzaga, Arizona, Arizona St, Oregon and Missouri are inquiring.

Are they really? Is that what he said?

It's not like JaQuan was a budding star in his 2 seasons in Columbus. He was a decent player -- streaky and capable, but unpredictable. If he managed to keep his grades good, that's a good thing. That's what kept him out of Oregon in the first place, if memory serves. Still, I have to wonder if the likes of those schools listed (with the exception of a couple) are going to burn a scholarship for a year to have a good-but-never-great transfer with a knack for finding trouble for two years.

It's not like JaQuan was a budding star in his 2 seasons in Columbus. He was a decent player -- streaky and capable, but unpredictable. If he managed to keep his grades good, that's a good thing. That's what kept him out of Oregon in the first place, if memory serves. Still, I have to wonder if the likes of those schools listed (with the exception of a couple) are going to burn a scholarship for a year to have a good-but-never-great transfer with a knack for finding trouble for two years.

Jaquan didn't say that. Those schools are contacting someone inquiring about JaQuan.

Other schools don't have all their scholarships burned up like we have. Some schools keep schollys available.

I agree.. Those schools can recruit a talented kid out of high school without any baggage. A mid major would wait a year to get someone with his talent. He would have to behave in that year he sat out in order to play in year 2.

It would be interesting if UE got involved. Marty Simmons' son Blake played at Castle against JaQuan. In a conference game late in JaQuan's sophomore season, JaQuan was unhappy with a call and walked off the court and sat down on the bench. Castle closed Bosse's comfortable lead to send the game into overtime. Castle won the game and the conference title over Bosse. The difference was that game. Blake is on the UE team and I am curious if father and son would want Lyle..

I agree.. Those schools can recruit a talented kid out of high school without any baggage. A mid major would wait a year to get someone with his talent. He would have to behave in that year he sat out in order to play in year 2.

It would be interesting if UE got involved. Marty Simmons' son Blake played at Castle against JaQuan. In a conference game late in JaQuan's sophomore season, JaQuan was unhappy with a call and walked off the court and sat down on the bench. Castle closed Bosse's comfortable lead to send the game into overtime. Castle won the game and the conference title over Bosse. The difference was that game. Blake is on the UE team and I am curious if father and son would want Lyle..

JaQuan did that walk off the floor and sit on the end of the bench many times when he was young. I've not heard that he did anything like that at OSU or any make any other trouble.

Would JaQuan be worth the risk at IU if he has his life together? JaQuan is a great talent, is the potential distraction worth the risk?

Would JaQuan be worth the risk at IU if he has his life together? JaQuan is a great talent, is the potential distraction worth the risk?

I think IU is probably where he always wanted to go. I know that's where his grandmother wanted him to go. Crean was the first to offer in the Bosse gym before a practice his freshman year. Then stuff happen. Other more "cool" programs came around.

ADVERTISEMENT