ADVERTISEMENT

JaQuan Lyle arrested in Evansville...

crazed_hoosier2

Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2011
...apparently he got drunk, tossed from a bar, and then got a bit belligerent about it.

One of the objects he reportedly struck in his ensuing fit of anger was a police cruiser. That's usually not a very good idea, drunk or sober.

Things are not going well for the Buckeyes these days.

More details here.

...apparently he got drunk, tossed from a bar, and then got a bit belligerent about it.

One of the objects he reportedly struck in his ensuing fit of anger was a police cruiser. That's usually not a very good idea, drunk or sober.

More details here.
No worries it's OSU. Will sit out midnight madness and maybe the first exhibition game...maybe.

Reactions: 76-1 and bsmitty08
No worries it's OSU. Will sit out midnight madness and maybe the first exhibition game...maybe.

This report, citing tOSU athletic dept, says that Lyle is no longer a member of the Buckeyes team...he "quit" on April 11.

Not that I follow Buckeye hoops all that closely -- but it's interesting that we're just hearing about this coinciding with his arrest.

How much longer will Thad last? Things were already in horrible shape even before this latest development.

I'm glad we got Archie all sewn up!

More details here.
If there were strippers and prostitutes involved it means he is transferring to Louisville.

Yeah, he "quit" at the end of April so Matta won't have to worry about having him sit out a couple of practices... thus the continued (failed) saga of the great JaQuan Lyle may finally come to appropriate, crashing end.

More details here.
Kicked out of Pistons and lost his cool. He was seen in this bar during the week OSU classes began this past. There started speculation from some that he wasn't going back. I've been saying something like this was going to happen and that he would not finish his college career. He quit several times on his high school team and has done the same to his college team Terrible teammate!

You can take the kid out of Bosse, but you can't take the Bosse out of the kid. Another good athlete from that school that throws away his opportunity.

Reactions: dubtown80 and ulrey
road-house-knife-in-boot-o.gif

Same here. I don't remember many want omg Lyle.

When he was a junior or so in HS, quite a few folks wanted to see him at IU. He was a phenomenal in-state talent.

Most of those around the Evansville area, though, warned to stay away from him. And it's not hard to see why.

Recall that he originally committed to Oregon -- but he couldn't gain admission.

Reactions: mazz
When he was a junior or so in HS, quite a few folks wanted to see him at IU. He was a phenomenal in-state talent.

Most of those around the Evansville area, though, warned to stay away from him. And it's not hard to see why.

Recall that he originally committed to Oregon -- but he couldn't gain admission.
Jaquan is a classic example of a kid screwed up by the adults in his life. Wasn't a bad kid at all, just never had the basic structure in his formative years that many of us take for granted.

Reactions: mazz
Jaquan is a classic example of a kid screwed up by the adults in his life. Wasn't a bad kid at all, just never had the basic structure in his formative years that many of us take for granted.

JaQuan had some good adults in his life. He chose to ignore them and listen to the bad adults in his life. No doubt he had tough circumstances to overcome. I talked to him a few minutes after Crean offfered him before his freshman season started. I told him he had a lot of obstacles in life but now he had no excuses. He had the first of many scholarship offers and all he had to to was go to school and make his grades, keep his nose clean and practice basketball and keep improving. He agreed and obviously ignored.

Reactions: dubtown80
Blueitt broke the law in Indiana. Lyle has been a troubled talent. I like both of them as players.

JaQuan had some good adults in his life. He chose to ignore them and listen to the bad adults in his life. No doubt he had tough circumstances to overcome. I talked to him a few minutes after Crean offfered him before his freshman season started. I told him he had a lot of obstacles in life but now he had no excuses. He had the first of many scholarship offers and all he had to to was go to school and make his grades, keep his nose clean and practice basketball and keep improving. He agreed and obviously ignored.
His dad is a very active parent in his younger brothers' discipline. They may be step brothers. My take on his upbringing is he was raised by the parent that didn't teach respect and how to manage his anger. I didn't think he had a mom because all I ever heard about was his grandma. It seems now that grandma may have stepped in to fill in a void.

His high school coach did not help much. He was a pos and was probably trying to do whatever he could to keep Lyle from transferring. His coach was very angry that the Duncan boys (and less interested in their sister) chose Harrison over Bosse. I'm sure that affected JaQuan's attitude against Harrison and I believe he had some personal rivals at Central that caused on court skirmishes with them.

I hope he can continue to go to school. I don't think it is good if it is around Evansville. If it is around here, I will expect to see his name in the paper again for more trouble. I suppose he could transfer somewhere. Sampson would probably love to have him in Houston. Perfect player for him.

Reactions: IyamCornholio
Kicked out of Pistons and lost his cool. He was seen in this bar during the week OSU classes began this past. There started speculation from some that he wasn't going back. I've been saying something like this was going to happen and that he would not finish his college career. He quit several times on his high school team and has done the same to his college team Terrible teammate!

You can take the kid out of Bosse, but you can't take the Bosse out of the kid. Another good athlete from that school that throws away his opportunity.
Hey now, Bosse grad here. Be nice.

I hope Lyle can get his life together. The young man has some talent.

Hey now, Bosse grad here. Be nice.
Bosse, from what I have been told, was a nice school until the early to mid 80's.

There are some beautiful homes around Bosse, but there are also very bad crime ridden apartment buildings south of the school.

I have seen too many fights with Bosse at Enlow Field that have either been on the field or in the crowd. It is the only school I have ever seen that happen.

His dad is a very active parent in his younger brothers' discipline. They may be step brothers. My take on his upbringing is he was raised by the parent that didn't teach respect and how to manage his anger. I didn't think he had a mom because all I ever heard about was his grandma. It seems now that grandma may have stepped in to fill in a void.

His high school coach did not help much. He was a pos and was probably trying to do whatever he could to keep Lyle from transferring. His coach was very angry that the Duncan boys (and less interested in their sister) chose Harrison over Bosse. I'm sure that affected JaQuan's attitude against Harrison and I believe he had some personal rivals at Central that caused on court skirmishes with them.

I hope he can continue to go to school. I don't think it is good if it is around Evansville. If it is around here, I will expect to see his name in the paper again for more trouble. I suppose he could transfer somewhere. Sampson would probably love to have him in Houston. Perfect player for him.
Whatever happened to the Duncan boys?

I think your wrong about the Bosse coach. I spent almost 4 summers with Shane and these kids. He has to be a dad and coach to JaQuan and many of these kids. He was living on teachers salaries for him and his wife. Many times he and his wife each had a car full of kids along with me. He paid a lot of stuff out of his own pocket as I did. I bought kids meals, hotel rooms and headphones. I made sure they had anything my son had on trips. Shane's parents put these kids up in their basement in Marion many times. They had cookouts for them in addition to a place to sleep. I personally watched Shane both punish/discipline and love these kids including JaQuan. I watched him stick up for these kids when they were mistreated by others. Shane was opinionated which is why some hate him. He still texts and encourages my son all these years later. He encouraged my son when he was struggling in high school basketball. He had nothing to gain by caring about my son.

I will go to my grave defending Shane Burkhart. He and his wife are great people who care about kids. He's had a damn good record since JaQuan left Bosse.

Bosse, from what I have been told, was a nice school until the early to mid 80's.

There are some beautiful homes around Bosse, but there are also very bad crime ridden apartment buildings south of the school.

I have seen too many fights with Bosse at Enlow Field that have either been on the field or in the crowd. It is the only school I have ever seen that

I have seen too many fights with Bosse at Enlow Field that have either been on the field or in the crowd. It is the only school I have ever seen that happen.
He may be a product of his environment, which I suppose could be true for any of us. I have a feeling, though, that problems with his behavior probably started before high school. I suspect he would have been the same person at any other school.

Reactions: stollcpa

I might be wrong but I thought his dad lived in Georgia during JaQuan's high school years. I only remember seeing him at one AAU game. Late in his high school years his mom started showing up at games with "I am JaQuan's Mom" tee shirts.

Whatever happened to the Duncan boys?
Ernie and Everette are at Vermont. Ernie turned down UE and it seems to have worked out well for him. He played in the NCAA this year. Everettr missed the year with a knee injury. Stanley is at Anderson, maybe? I heard he was tearing it up wherever he is.

Not sure where the younger brother is going, but think he graduates this year. I think I am missing one, but I didn't know the younger kids.

He may be a product of his environment, which I suppose could be true for any of us. I have a feeling, though, that problems with his behavior probably started before high school. I suspect he would have been the same person at any other school.
I don't know. One of the few times I have agreed with Dakich is when he called Lyle's high school coach a jerk, dick, and other names on air. It would have been a challenge and JaQuan probably would have just moved to another school if a coach had tried to teach him respect.

I might be wrong but I thought his dad lived in Georgia during JaQuan's high school years. I only remember seeing him at one AAU game. Late in his high school years his mom started showing up at games with "I am JaQuan's Mom" tee shirts.
His dad is here now or at least someone that is the dad of his brothers. I only saw his grandma at a game during his junior year, so the dad could have been out of the area at the time. I knew it was his grandma because Pitino was sitting next to her.

His dad is here now or at least someone that is the dad of his brothers. I only saw his grandma at a game during his junior year, so the dad could have been out of the area at the time. I knew it was his grandma because Pitino was sitting next to her.

His grandmother seemed like a really nice lady to me. Heck she was working and there's only so much you can do with a kid like JaQuan. You can threaten to kick him out but then you have no chance. Thats what I seen with Shane dealing with the kids a lot. You could rant and threaten but if they walk out and go on the street you can't help. It looked like a real fine line to me.

I think your wrong about the Bosse coach. I spent almost 4 summers with Shane and these kids. He has to be a dad and coach to JaQuan and many of these kids. He was living on teachers salaries for him and his wife. Many times he and his wife each had a car full of kids along with me. He paid a lot of stuff out of his own pocket as I did. I bought kids meals, hotel rooms and headphones. I made sure they had anything my son had on trips. Shane's parents put these kids up in their basement in Marion many times. They had cookouts for them in addition to a place to sleep. I personally watched Shane both punish/discipline and love these kids including JaQuan. I watched him stick up for these kids when they were mistreated by others. Shane was opinionated which is why some hate him. He still texts and encourages my son all these years later. He encouraged my son when he was struggling in high school basketball. He had nothing to gain by caring about my son.

I will go to my grave defending Shane Burkhart. He and his wife are great people who care about kids. He's had a damn good record since JaQuan left Bosse.
I'm not questioning his ability to coach and he probably is good to his players. The coach before him tried to discipline players and lost his job over it. JaQuan was a special case for him. To do what he needed to do would have meant hurting the player's reputation with the college coaches and probably drove him off to another school.

Comments Burkhart made about the Duncan family have been inappropriate and made him a jerk. The Duncan kids off the court are very good kids, and students. My mention of the Duncan family earlier was in response to these comments

Lyle got away with a second technical foul by having his AD come negotiate with the refs at mid court to change a punch to a Central player into a common foul. I was disappointed with Andy Elkins, the officials, and Burkhart for leaving him in the game and allowing the call to be changed. Getting away with a punch and the example Burkhart sets on the sidelines make it hard to teach JaQuan respect on the court. .

His grandmother seemed like a really nice lady to me. Heck she was working and there's only so much you can do with a kid like JaQuan. You can threaten to kick him out but then you have no chance. Thats what I seen with Shane dealing with the kids a lot. You could rant and threaten but if they walk out and go on the street you can't help. It looked like a real fine line to me.
The grandma probably is a saint. She was dealing with a problem she may never have had to deal with.

Reactions: stollcpa
ADVERTISEMENT