ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Nunge transferring from Iowa

I believe he told the maniac that he would not be going to another B1G school. Not sure if that is true or not.

I believe he told the maniac that he would not be going to another B1G school. Not sure if that is true or not.
I'm hoping that's not true. If he truly wants to be close to home, IU and Louisville would serve as the closest campuses to Newburgh. I also think he would be a key addition to the roster if Jackson-Davis goes pro and Race Thompson transfers to Minnesota.

I wouldn't fault Nunge for choosing Evansville to be as close as possible to home. I'm not sure how he would feel about going from the Big Ten to the Missouri Valley, though.
I guess we'll see. If it's true that he's really doing this to be closer to home (I don't know if it's been discussed here, but his dad died suddenly last year) and that he won't transfer within the B10, then UE would seem a pretty logical choice for both interests.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I guess we'll see. If it's true that he's really doing this to be closer to home (I don't know if it's been discussed here, but his dad died suddenly last year) and that he won't transfer within the B10, then UE would seem a pretty logical choice for both interests.
I hadn't seen anywhere that he wouldn't transfer to another Big Ten program, but like you said, we will see.

Who can blame him for playing for Evansville? Close to home, and will make an instant impact on that team and division. It’s probably pretty obvious to him he isn’t going pro...

I hadn't seen anywhere that he wouldn't transfer to another Big Ten program, but like you said, we will see.
Birdforbogey mentioned Nunge saying that up above -- and I heard the same thing from the father of one of his Castle teammates. I have no idea if that's true or not. But I'm just passing along what I heard.

Reactions: kkott
Who can blame him for playing for Evansville? Close to home, and will make an instant impact on that team and division. It’s probably pretty obvious to him he isn’t going pro...
I agree with this comment completely. The part that he obviously isn't going Pro... is what sealed it for me.
He will end up with a good degree from UofE and then start his working career.

I'll be happy for him if he chooses to play at Evansville, especially considering the personal turmoil he's experienced in the past year with his dad unexpectedly passing away.

I'll be happy for him if he chooses to play at Evansville, especially considering the personal turmoil he's experienced in the past year with his dad unexpectedly passing away.
I think that with him being at home and close to his mom and family, I have a feeling that he will thrive on the court. Now.... just stay away from injuries. I think he would do great at UofE.

(not that he wasn't thriving at Iowa.... there is just something about being at home)

He seems like a great kid. He has had numerous injuries including two serious knee injuries. Then he loses his father. I wish the very best for the young man. Who could blame him for wanting to be close to home.

Reactions: Tscurlo
I agree with this comment completely. The part that he obviously isn't going Pro... is what sealed it for me.
He will end up with a good degree from UofE and then start his working career.
Just so I’m clear, I have no idea where he’ll end up. The guy I talked to didn’t either - just that he’d heard Nunge wouldn’t end up in the B10 and that he really was motivated by family reasons. There are plenty of non-B10 D1 schools that are reasonably close to Newburgh: ISU, SIU, IUPUI, WKU, Murray State, Louisville, Bellarmine.

I wouldn't fault Nunge for choosing Evansville to be as close as possible to home. I'm not sure how he would feel about going from the Big Ten to the Missouri Valley, though.
it would feel like lots of playing time and not physically getting your brains beat every night.

Last edited:
In my view he would feel like an all american. What if I played ball against seven yr olds. I would be all world.
I'm not the world's biggest MVC fan. But with the success of teams like Loyola and (former members) Wichita State and Creighton, this is a very naive statement. The MVC is one of those conferences that is just a notch below the P5.

Why would it be obvious he isn’t going pro? He’s an athletic, fairly mobile, decent shooting, 6’11” kid. In our first game against them this year, the TV announcer listed him as Iowa’s best pro prospect. Better potential than Garza.

Obviously he’s struggled to stay healthy. Maybe that’s why it’s obvious? But if he were to get healthy, and played somewhere that used him in a way that would enhance his pro potential...he absolutely could have a chance at making a lot of money playing basketball someday.

I'm not the world's biggest MVC fan. But with the success of teams like Loyola and (former members) Wichita State and Creighton, this is a very naive statement. The MVC is one of those conferences that is just a notch below the P5.
I used to enjoy the MVC back in the 80's when Xavier McDaniel played against ISU. Those were some good years of basketball. I didn't really mean that the MVC would be a picnic for Nunge but the talent level has to be downgraded somewhat especially the size of players. He would have to feel at least some relief to the wars he fought in the B1G.

I used to enjoy the MVC back in the 80's when Xavier McDaniel played against ISU. Those were some good years of basketball. I didn't really mean that the MVC would be a picnic for Nunge but the talent level has to be downgraded somewhat especially the size of players. He would have to feel at least some relief to the wars he fought in the B1G.
Size of the players? You've not followed the MVC much.

I am really surprised he is going to Xavier. That's a 3 1/2 hour drive from Newburgh to Cinci.

Not exactly close to home.... but it's all Interstate getting there. Oh well.... best of luck to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT