ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Chick is dead

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Christianity lost one of its strangest figures last night. For those who don't recognize the name, Chick was responsible for those little Christian cartoon tracts you find in bus stops or public bathrooms. His most famous tract was probably This Was Your Life!, which told the story of a dead man going to meet Jesus, only to find his name was not in the book of life before being cast into hell. The last page of the tract was a tiny contract, which encouraged the reader to check a box indicating that he or she would, in fact, accept Jesus as their savior right then, a feature that would be included in all subsequent tracts.

Chick was the consummate paranoid conspiracy theorist, believing that pretty much every bad thing in history was part of a diabolical plan by the Catholic Church to lead people away from God and toward damnation. From neopaganism to Islamic terror to gay rights, pretty much everything was secretly an attack on true Christianity orchestrated by the Pope, who is ultimately the puppet of Satan.

I studied Chick tracts extensively in college, although it wasn't for a class. As a member of the speech team, I had a tradition of writing my rhet crit speech each year about an extreme religious group or figure (another year, I did a speech on the Genocide Awareness Project). I don't recall having the chance to speak directly to Chick when I was researching the project, but his company was kind enough to send me a sample box containing one of each of their tracts then in print, which was probably about fifty.

Anyway, the Chick Publications website (chick.com) isn't working at the moment, probably from the volume of people sending condolences to his widow, but when it cools down, if you're not familiar with his work, you should check it out. It's fascinating.

Edit - correction

Last edited:
Dude, you actually sought out religious nutbars???
Absolutely. I was getting a degree in religious studies, and I thought they made for interesting topics. Most competitors weren't doing topics like that, so I figured I'd stand out.

I don't even remember what my thesis was. IE (individual events) in speech are usually limited to ten minutes, and it's hard to really make a deep critical argument in that time span, no matter how much research you do.

Reactions: meridian
I recall reading several of his tracts back in the day, and there was always a good supply of them over at Logos. I never picked up (or had forgotten about) the anti catholic slant, but recall him being very anti-science.

Christianity lost one of its strangest figures last night. For those who don't recognize the name, Chick was responsible for those little Christian cartoon tracts you find in bus stops or public bathrooms. His most famous tract was probably This Was Your Life!, which told the story of a dead man going to meet Jesus, only to find his name was not in the book of life before being cast into hell. The last page of the tract was a tiny contract, which encouraged the reader to check a box indicating that he or she would, in fact, accept Jesus as their savior right then, a feature that would be included in all subsequent tracts.

Chick was the consummate paranoid conspiracy theorist, believing that pretty much every bad thing in history was part of a diabolical plan by the Catholic Church to lead people away from God and toward damnation. From neopaganism to Islamic terror to gay rights, pretty much everything was secretly an attack on true Christianity orchestrated by the Pope, who is ultimately the puppet of Satan.

I studied Chick tracts extensively in college, although it wasn't for a class. As a member of the speech team, I had a tradition of writing my rhet crit speech each year about an extreme religious group or figure (another year, I did a speech on the Genocide Awareness Project). I don't recall having the chance to speak directly to Chick when I was researching the project, but his company was kind enough to send me a sample box containing one of each of their tracts then in print, which was probably about fifty.

Anyway, the Chick Publications website (chick.com) isn't working at the moment, probably from the volume of people sending condolences to his widow, but when it cools down, if you're not familiar with his work, you should check it out. It's fascinating.

Edit - correction
I've read a few chick tracks in my day. In fact some students from Union Bible College in Westfield IN let me read some of theirs since they worked at the Wendys Restaurant I was managing near the campus. On a side note the kids we had from the school were some of the best workers we had while I was there. Chick had a passion to see people saved from the penalty of sin which is Hell. He didn't get it from anywhere except Jesus who said there are two roads. There is a broad road which leads to destruction and a narrow road which only a few will find. If I could talk to Chick about his conspiracy notions, I would remind him of what the Apostle John said in 1 John 4:4. Greater is He who is in you, than He who is in the world.

If I could talk to Chick about his conspiracy notions, I would remind him of what the Apostle John said in 1 John 4:4. Greater is He who is in you, than He who is in the world.

Chick's biggest regret is sure to be not living long enough for you to remind him of that.

Reactions: RBB89 and meridian
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT