ADVERTISEMENT

J. Sales posting DM's commitment tweet

good to see

Watched this kid's highlight tape on 247........quick feet for his size, and ultra aggressive. Needs to add another 20-25 lbs, but sure looks like he'd contribute by year 2 in B-ton. Looks like he could play either tackle position with time.

Pretty nice offer list as well---Kansas; MSU; Purdue; Nebraska; Arizona St.; Cincy; Illinois; MD; MO; W. Virginia....and it sure looks like he'll be coming here......flying a bit under the radar on this board with his #10 ranking in Indiana.....looks better than that.

Last edited:
Idk about this year, but more and more top end in state kids are seeing these kids go to Bloomington and succeeding. That only helps for future classes/kids.
Crossfire74, you are right about the ones coming to IU having success will lead to more coming to IU. I hope in a couple of years top Indiana players don't consider going out of state to play.

I have to think that a player like Sales can make a big impact for our program. The size and mobility of some of these kids is just unreal. It wasn't too long ago that 6'4 was a taller player.

Crossfire74, you are right about the ones coming to IU having success will lead to more coming to IU. I hope in a couple of years top Indiana players don't consider going out of state to play.
How long do you think that'll take?

I'm torn between thinking:
(a) that 3-4 successful seasons strung together will be enough to keep top kids home. And where successful would be defined as 7 to 9 wins and at least one big-ish upset.

(b) that it'll take a decade of mostly successful seasons because the kids who are 7 years old now and really getting to be able to watch sports more could grow up being fans of a winner and steer them toward Bloomington

How long do you think that'll take?

I'm torn between thinking:
(a) that 3-4 successful seasons strung together will be enough to keep top kids home. And where successful would be defined as 7 to 9 wins and at least one big-ish upset.

(b) that it'll take a decade of mostly successful seasons because the kids who are 7 years old now and really getting to be able to watch sports more could grow up being fans of a winner and steer them toward Bloomington
For the past five years, Indiana's regular season record is 30-30. Since before rising seniors were teenagers, Indiana has had a respectable program and made bowl games more often than not.

For the past five years, Indiana's regular season record is 30-30. Since before rising seniors were teenagers, Indiana has had a respectable program and made bowl games more often than not.
I don't disagree that, historically, that 5 years of .500 football is significantly better than what we have grown accustomed to for years before that.

But 2019 was what I'd call a successful season to the extent that was multiple games over .500 and only had two games that were non-competitive (and there's no shame in that OSU score after what they did all year). I think it'll take at least a couple more years like 2019 to get most top in-state kids to make IU a top 3 choice by default like you see with OSU or PSU with their home grown kids.

I don't disagree that, historically, that 5 years of .500 football is significantly better than what we have grown accustomed to for years before that.

But 2019 was what I'd call a successful season to the extent that was multiple games over .500 and only had two games that were non-competitive (and there's no shame in that OSU score after what they did all year). I think it'll take at least a couple more years like 2019 to get most top in-state kids to make IU a top 3 choice by default like you see with OSU or PSU with their home grown kids.
TMFT, i don't know how long it will take but I am hoping just 3 years of successful seasons. We will have to see how our new coaches can improve players and get IU beating one or two of the top three/four each year.

15-29 in BT

That includes 20 games against O$U, UM, PSU, & MSU. Almost all of those were losses. We went 2-18 against those teams I believe. If that's correct then IU went 15-11 against the rest of the Big Ten during that time. That's not terrible, but that 's where the improvement must come from. If we can go 1-3 against the murderer's row portion of our schedule, or even 2-2, then we're setup for a heck of a season. 3-0 in the non conference games and then 4-0 or 3-1 against the rest of the Big Ten and you're looking at a program that's built for New Year's Day bowls.

That includes 20 games against O$U, UM, PSU, & MSU. Almost all of those were losses. We went 2-18 against those teams I believe. If that's correct then IU went 15-11 against the rest of the Big Ten during that time. That's not terrible, but that 's where the improvement must come from. If we can go 1-3 against the murderer's row portion of our schedule, or even 2-2, then we're setup for a heck of a season. 3-0 in the non conference games and then 4-0 or 3-1 against the rest of the Big Ten and you're looking at a program that's built for New Year's Day bowls.
Good points and posters constantly knocking Hoosier football down refuse to see the uphill battle IUFB is in. Coach Allen and staff make no excuses about playing the B1G East, unlike coach Frost complaining about their schedule, instead they are recruiting hard and working hard to get a team capable of beating the big boys now an then until they can do it on a regular basis.

We went 2-18 against those teams I believe. If that's correct then IU went 15-11 against the rest of the Big Ten during that time.
During that period, we only beat Michigan State in 2016, so it's actually 1-19 and 14-10. Of the 14 wins, 3 were against Purdue (3-2), 4 were against Rutgers (4-1), 4 were against Maryland (4-1), 1 against Illinois (1-0), 1 against Northwestern (1-1), 1 against Nebraska (1-1).

Reactions: red hornet
During that period, we only beat Michigan State in 2016, so it's actually 1-19 and 14-10. Of the 14 wins, 3 were against Purdue (3-2), 4 were against Rutgers (4-1), 4 were against Maryland (4-1), 1 against Illinois (1-0), 1 against Northwestern (1-1), 1 against Nebraska (1-1).
At least building a trend of beating teams supposed to beat. Now seems like time to move up another notch and beat some teams we haven't before.

At least building a trend of beating teams supposed to beat. Now seems like time to move up another notch and beat some teams we haven't before.
100% this!

Give me:
2-1 against a modest non-con.
2-1 against the west.
4-2 against the east.

That's an 8 win season on the regular with at least a couple wins against better teams. And ideally there'll be that magical year where it's 3-0 in non-con and 3-0 against the West every handful of years.

It seems like people can't accept that IUFB isn't where it was in the past. With the returning players and additional ones coming in and grad transfers, IU is poised to build on last year's 8 win season. Yes injuries or other situations could make this year not as successful but it doesn't appear that that is likely with this roster of players.

ADVERTISEMENT