ADVERTISEMENT

J&J Data Disappoints

JamieDimonsBalls

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2015

Johnson & Johnson’s long-awaited vaccine appears to protect against COVID-19 with just one shot – not as strong as some two-shot rivals but still potentially helpful for a world in dire need of more doses.

J&J said Friday that in the U.S. and seven other countries, the single-shot vaccine was 66% effective overall at preventing moderate to severe illness, and much more protective — 85% — against the most serious symptoms.

There was some geographic variation. The vaccine worked better in the U.S. — 72% effective against moderate to severe COVID-19 – compared to 57% in South Africa, where it was up against an easier-to-spread mutated virus.

Need to dig into the numbers in more detail, but the severe disease prevention in the US is very good, especially for a one dose protocol, and J&J is also doing a 2-dose trial.

Remember, there was no one-dose trial for Pfizer and Moderna, and the mutant stains were not prevalent when they showed 90-95% efficacy vs. severe disease with 2 doses, so I wouldn't jump to the "disappointing" conclusion for J&J just yet

Need to dig into the numbers in more detail, but the severe disease prevention in the US is very good, especially for a one dose protocol, and J&J is also doing a 2-dose trial.

Remember, there was no one-dose trial for Pfizer and Moderna, and the mutant stains were not prevalent when they showed 90-95% efficacy vs. severe disease with 2 doses, so I wouldn't jump to the "disappointing" conclusion for J&J just yet

Perhaps "relatively" should have been added to qualify.

I agree. I think those numbers are pretty good all things considered. They won’t have anywhere near the supply chain complexity of the mRNA products and likely have massive manufacturing to get this out there. These numbers are way better than flu vaccine efficacy.

"Novavax Covid-19 vaccine demonstrates 89.3% efficacy in UK phase 3 trial"
Novavax did not say when it might seek an EUA from the FDA.
From GEN: "Novavax reports varying success vs Covid-19 variants"
The company began a rolling approval submission to the U.K. MHRA earlier this month. I hope if the U.K. approves the Novavax vaccine, that the FDA immediately authorizes its distribution here. The company says that its vaccine does not require special handling and can be distributed through existing vaccine supply chains. The company has been contracted to supply 100 million doses to the government, but has not said how quickly they could be made available if it receives an EUA.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT