ADVERTISEMENT

Ivy League Calls Off Fall Sports

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
Reactions: red hornet
Yeah, it's becoming increasingly difficult to imagine a fall season that isn't completely chaotic. I'm bummed.
Things definitely don't look promising. Tough to do football (and many other sports) when locker rooms, meeting rooms, weight rooms, and face-to-face contact are ideal environments for rapid spread. 2020 is shaping up to be a lost year for sports at all levels.

The Ivy League does not depend on any broadcast rights or postseason sources of revenue. Whether there is a fall season or not their athletic programs are entirely based on funding of athletics as part of the academic experience. The existence of intercollegiate athletics at Power Five and FCS schools relies on a $50 million plus influx of TV and Bowl revenue.

OMG! Are you insinuating that colleges & universities are willing to accept substantially more health risk based upon television revenues? ;)

The Ivy League does not depend on any broadcast rights or postseason sources of revenue. Whether there is a fall season or not their athletic programs are entirely based on funding of athletics as part of the academic experience. The existence of intercollegiate athletics at Power Five and FCS schools relies on a $50 million plus influx of TV and Bowl revenue.
I acknowledged at the top that it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Still, if you think the Ivy's decision is of no consequence for the rest of college athletics, you're mistaken.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...decision-impact-other-conferences/5397076002/

If things get bumped to the spring, I think the schedule would almost certainly need to be abbreviated because of weather concerns in January and February and because schools wouldn't want to be playing games after the spring semester has ended. Not that anyone's asking for it, but here's my proposal: Skip the OOC games this season, and go with a nine game conference schedule beginning on Saturday February 27 and ending on Saturday April 24, with the conference championship the following Saturday, May 1. If a bye week is necessary, the regular season would then end on May 1. After May 1, schools start getting into graduations which could conflict with a championship game, but that's something that could be worked out.

I don't think bowl games would be feasible following a spring football schedule. First, with a shortened season, the existing criterion for bowl eligibility (six wins) wouldn't work. Second, because of contractual commitments and other restraints, I'm not sure the bowls are in a position to reschedule their games. Further, players looking at NFL careers wouldn't want to play. Next, nobody's going to be interested in traveling to Florida, Texas or Arizona in late May for a football game. College students are into summer jobs by then and families with kids who are out of school by that point have moved onto camps and other summer activities.

Bottom line - - I'd take a shortened spring season over no football at all.

Finally, I know this could conflict with the currently scheduled 2021 NFL draft but I'm sure the NFL would work with college football on this. Similarly, while this creates a shorter off-season, particularly for athletes who are moving onto Sunday football which involves summer camps, the NFL might then need to adjust its schedule. I don't think that's entirely unreasonable, considering that college football is essentially the NFL's "minor league."

Last edited:
ESPN article today w/some power 5 AD quotes:
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ue-fall-sports-decision-mean-college-football

Would imagine they'll explore half fans or no fans to keep games on TV. And "might" be able to rationalize the players who test positive if most of them (as I believe is the case) are asymptomatic and not even close to ventilator status. I'm not saying it's ideal, but yes, the money is big for all parties and some may want to see if there is a "safest option" model available to continue.

Yeah, who knows what ends up happening but the Ivy League doesn't look to have any real impact on the Big 5 power conferences. The one thing that might change is non-conference schedules. As the smaller conferences peel off, I could see those games being eliminated all together or even possibly adjusted to only involve the major conference schools on their slates.

Spring football is probably the likeliest outcome but I am not putting it past them to give it a go this fall still.

Yeah, who knows what ends up happening but the Ivy League doesn't look to have any real impact on the Big 5 power conferences. The one thing that might change is non-conference schedules. As the smaller conferences peel off, I could see those games being eliminated all together or even possibly adjusted to only involve the major conference schools on their slates.

Spring football is probably the likeliest outcome but I am not putting it past them to give it a go this fall still.
Maybe fall football in the north and spring football in the south might be what happens? With no bowls or CFP. Just bare bones, old school, play to win your conference football?

I just can't see how the spring could work for conferences based north of Kentucky

Maybe fall football in the north and spring football in the south might be what happens? With no bowls or CFP. Just bare bones, old school, play to win your conference football?

I just can't see how the spring could work for conferences based north of Kentucky
I can see an 8 or 9 game conference-only schedule being workable. Play the first game in mid-March after spring break and conclude in mid-May. Weather-wise, it would kind of be a flipped season with colder games early (like the November games now) and better weather at the end. It may not be traditional or ideal, but it buys time to get a better handle on Covid and still allows for a season without the risk of trying to start in the fall. Hell, college football consisted of 9 games for years with no conference championship games or playoffs, and only a tiny fraction of teams playing in bowl games.

OMG! Are you insinuating that colleges & universities are willing to accept substantially more health risk based upon television revenues? ;)

I am stating that whether they plan in spring or fall is of no consequence to the Ivy League and yes, the Power 5 schools will make every effort to play football, run cross country and play basketball this fall and winter because it is a $50 million dollar issue which affects the entire future of intercollegiate athletics. Will they do so callously without regard to player safety? Hell no. But, in case you missed it they have decided to play a ten game conference only schedule which minimizes travel, prevents overnight stays and allows for the entire environment to be controlled by Big Ten member schools. That is what would be called mitigating the risk. What do you think the university in general is doing in welcoming 40-45,000 men and women back to campus? I assure you they have taken steps to control the environment and protect the student body, but not anywhere near to the level the student- athletes will be protected.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT