ADVERTISEMENT

I've seen enough. The recruiting misses have revealed the story.

Escalibore

Recruit
Aug 31, 2001
I feel sorry for Lander. I think he will transfer. Oh yeah, the performance on the court tells even more of the story. I'd take Crean over Archie and I'd take Alfred E. Newman over Crean.

What players have actually improved under Archie? TJD and Romeo were good when they got here. The guards get worse every year. Hunter and Phinesee have regressed, Durham is almost unplayable at this point and while I was excited about Franklin the last few games, tonight he was airballing threes against Northwestern.

With the way recruiting is already trending If IU misses the tournament again it will be time to look elsewhere. Can't have a lame duck coach with a likely worse roster heading into next year.

What players have actually improved under Archie? TJD and Romeo were good when they got here. The guards get worse every year. Hunter and Phinesee have regressed, Durham is almost unplayable at this point and while I was excited about Franklin the last few games, tonight he was airballing threes against Northwestern.

With the way recruiting is already trending If IU misses the tournament again it will be time to look elsewhere. Can't have a lame duck coach with a likely worse roster heading into next year.
Are you kidding? Thompson has made a big improvement and TJD is even better than last year. The season is young. People need to settle down. I’m still willing today to bet anyone here IU makes the NCAA tournament this year if we have a tournament. I made the same offer this early last year and no one took it and everyone here that isn’t an idiot knows IU was solidly in.

franklin, race have and tjd to some extent, cant play big time basketball with no size

Size isn’t this teams problem. Not by a long shot. It’s Rob and Al’s lack of development to the point of regression. They don’t play with an ounce of confidence and it completely kills any and all rhythm to the offense. Say what you want about Galloway and his talent level, but the ball moves when he’s on the court.

Franklin has improved. Race has too. Hard to measure TJD's metrics, as he put up big frosh numbers ,but he's scoring even more now.

Rob looks like he's sleepwalking. Lander cannot guard anyone at this level yet. And Hunter is being forced to play out of position much of the time. He's not capable of defending at the 4 spot but seems to slow of foot to play solid D on the wing. Was hoping for breakthru season from him this year, but does not seem to be panning out.

Brunk's absence is hurting the team more than we give it credit. But there's a lot more missing out there- like good outside shooters.

Are you kidding? Thompson has made a big improvement and TJD is even better than last year. The season is young. People need to settle down. I’m still willing today to bet anyone here IU makes the NCAA tournament this year if we have a tournament. I made the same offer this early last year and no one took it and everyone here that isn’t an idiot knows IU was solidly in.
you may be right , we got beat by a good team tonight , problem is how can collins move the needle at northwestern quicker than arch can at indiana

you may be right , we got beat by a good team tonight , problem is how can collins move the needle at northwestern quicker than arch can at indiana
It’s one game with one guy making incredible shots at the end of the game. I wouldn’t bet that NW will be better than IU at the end of the season.

Reactions: SixthFlagComing
Size isn’t this teams problem. Not by a long shot. It’s Rob and Al’s lack of development to the point of regression. They don’t play with an ounce of confidence and it completely kills any and all rhythm to the offense. Say what you want about Galloway and his talent level, but the ball moves when he’s on the court.
Size is a problem for this team. Northwestern was able to tip many of our overhead passes. Thompson, Galloway, TJD and Hunter all had trouble with passing tonight. A little more height would help.

Reactions: IULouie and Mr.IU
Size is a problem for this team. Northwestern was able to tip many of our overhead passes. Thompson, Galloway, TJD and Hunter all had trouble with passing tonight. A little more height would help.
It’s going to be an issue against Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State . . . at least. We just don’t have enough good players, and we definitely don’t have enough good players of a certain size.

I agree last year Aloha but not sure this team can string together enough wins this year. Our guards are weak and many of the good Big 10 teams have better front lines.

Kofi and Garza are going to abuse us. Just a tough conference when you look at MSU, Iowa, Il, OSU, Michigan. And now Rutgers, PSU, and NW are no longer sure wins.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
If we have learned anything, this team will suck ass i’m January and midway through february, they will begin to strong some wins together and work toward getting to 9 wins and make a case for a bubble team in tourney. It has happened every year.

Reactions: Cavanagh
It's Northwestern at home. Have we really fallen this far?
I attended IU from ‘79 to ‘83 so I was there for the ‘80-‘81 national championship team. When IU had 9 losses that year that included UK, UNC and teams like Clemson and Pan American (really?) I never felt the need to crap my drawers and panic. It worked out. Of course, I’m not seeing a national championship team at IU this year, but I do see a strong defensive team, even better than last year, that has flashed good offense this year, also better than last year. The Big Ten is incredibly good, but this team will still win more than it loses and be in the NCAA tournament.

I attended IU from ‘79 to ‘83 so I was there for the ‘80-‘81 national championship team. When IU had 9 losses that year that included UK, UNC and teams like Clemson and Pan American (really?) I never felt the need to crap my drawers and panic. It worked out. Of course, I’m not seeing a national championship team at IU this year, but I do see a strong defensive team, even better than last year, that has flashed good offense this year, also better than last year. The Big Ten is incredibly good, but this team will still win more than it loses and be in the NCAA tournament.
Agree to disagree, simply don't see it with the lack of playmakers on the perimeter and the ridiculous schedule in the BIG10.

IU is going to be behind the 8 ball in most of their games, in fact after tonight I can't think of a team that we could for sure beat.

Agree to disagree, simply don't see it with the lack of playmakers on the perimeter and the ridiculous schedule in the BIG10.

IU is going to be behind the 8 ball in most of their games, in fact after tonight I can't think of a team that we could for sure beat.
Yeah, there’s no Ray Tolbert, Landon Turner, Randy Wittman, Ted Kitchel, Isiah Thomas, Jim Thomas, Steve Risley and, obviously, no comparison between this season and that one. None. Oh, and the coach is of a different caliber, too.

Again recruiting no bigs makes no sense. But like I said because covid Archie will get year 5.
I suspect AM's contract has as much to do with him getting year 5 as Covid does.

IIRC, and barring any changes etc., Indiana is still obligated (if AM is let go) for 100% of Miller's remaining contract until 4/1/2022, at which point it drops to 50%. The cash required for 100% salary X 3 (years) is substantially higher than 50% X 2 years. So unless some of the folks who pitched in on the last buyout are eager for another bite of that apple, I'm guessing AM's job is safe--whether it should or shouldn't be, whether they make the tournament or don't make it.

Nebraska doesn't look very good. Beyond that, every single game will be a coin flip, particularly with no real home court advantage for anyone.

This is Collins 8th year there
FWIW in 2016-17 he was 24-12 overall, 10-8 in the conference, 2-1 in the BTT, and 1-1 in NCAA (lost by 6 to Gonzaga)

and he beat a ranked Texas team by 19

and beat Dayton

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark

Relax a bit! That’s a pretty solid northwestern team you just played and it took a guy going nuts in the 2nd half for them to only be up a single possession with 2 minutes left.

just yesterday in the aminu thread you were talking about the positive trajectory of the IU program. Had your opinion really changed that much in the 8 hours or so that followed?

just yesterday in the aminu thread you were talking about the positive trajectory of the IU program. Had your opinion really changed that much in the 8 hours or so that followed?
Losses at home to Northwestern in a really tough BIG10 will do that, I'll admit I thought IU was past this.

ADVERTISEMENT