ADVERTISEMENT

I've seen enough. The recruiting misses have revealed the story.

I feel sorry for Lander. I think he will transfer. Oh yeah, the performance on the court tells even more of the story. I'd take Crean over Archie and I'd take Alfred E. Newman over Crean.
You’re right, Crean was a much better recruiter. His teams had plenty of talent and ultimately underachieved. Archie’s team doesn’t seem to have enough to achieve. I thought NW had more talent and versatility. That should not happen when comparing a school like IU and Northwestern.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Losses at home to Northwestern in a really tough BIG10 will do that, I'll admit I thought IU was past this.
I get that. I just think watching the last 2 northwestern games that they’re a lot better than anyone thought they’d be this season

I attended IU from ‘79 to ‘83 so I was there for the ‘80-‘81 national championship team. When IU had 9 losses that year that included UK, UNC and teams like Clemson and Pan American (really?) I never felt the need to crap my drawers and panic. It worked out. Of course, I’m not seeing a national championship team at IU this year, but I do see a strong defensive team, even better than last year, that has flashed good offense this year, also better than last year. The Big Ten is incredibly good, but this team will still win more than it loses and be in the NCAA tournament.

Northwestern's defense was set up to stop TJD. I've been saying since last year that teams in the B1G will have the horses and coaching to do this and IU will have to win with other scorers.

Indiana is going to struggle to win every single conference game this year. Iowa was in control vs Purdue the other night but I don't think we will see that from Indiana this season.

Northwestern's defense was set up to stop TJD. I've been saying since last year that teams in the B1G will have the horses and coaching to do this and IU will have to win with other scorers.
NW supplied the blueprint. We don't have a go-to scorer to take the reins when defenses key on TJD. As much of a liability he might have been otherwise, DeVonte would be feasting on the kind of defenses we'll be seeing.

FWIW in 2016-17 he was 24-12 overall, 10-8 in the conference, 2-1 in the BTT, and 1-1 in NCAA (lost by 6 to Gonzaga)

and he beat a ranked Texas team by 19

and beat Dayton
and then what happened the next three years?

and then what happened the next three years?
Nothing very good at either university--NU had an overall losing record, IU's was slightly over .500, both had losing conference records, neither made an NCAA tournament in either of the years that was possible. IU spent more money doing it.

All of which makes me suspect that both schools may be over-paying for the results they're getting.

I feel sorry for Lander. I think he will transfer. Oh yeah, the performance on the court tells even more of the story. I'd take Crean over Archie and I'd take Alfred E. Newman over Crean.
You sure use the word "I' a lot when talking about basketball. Are you sure you're actually talking about basketball or are you more concerned with being butthurt and venting your feelings as a fan. Do you need a hug?

I attended IU from ‘79 to ‘83 so I was there for the ‘80-‘81 national championship team. When IU had 9 losses that year that included UK, UNC and teams like Clemson and Pan American (really?) I never felt the need to crap my drawers and panic. It worked out. Of course, I’m not seeing a national championship team at IU this year, but I do see a strong defensive team, even better than last year, that has flashed good offense this year, also better than last year. The Big Ten is incredibly good, but this team will still win more than it loses and be in the NCAA tournament.

I like your optimism but I just don't see it.
If they continue to play solid D then the games will be close but unfortunately, I think a lot of games will go the same way and we will not be able to score enough to win.

If they continue to play solid D then the games will be close but unfortunately, I think a lot of games will go the same way and we will not be able to score enough to win.
We didn't lose yesterday because of offense. We lost because our two best attributes were lacking.

Half court defense, and offensive rebounding. Things we have done very well so far.

They shot 68% (?) from 2 - you won't win games allowing that doesn't matter what the offense is at that point.. And, we didn't burn them for playing that junk zone by dominating the offensive boards. That zone puts them in a bad position to rebound, and we did a really poor job of attacking the glass.

That was all lack of effort and lack of urgency.

Size isn’t this teams problem. Not by a long shot. It’s Rob and Al’s lack of development to the point of regression. They don’t play with an ounce of confidence and it completely kills any and all rhythm to the offense. Say what you want about Galloway and his talent level, but the ball moves when he’s on the court.
Coach, a serious observation. To me “confidence” is a bit of an amorphous term. I think it’s more a matter of lack of basketball talent and focus. Al and Rob are average to mediocre ball handlers and passers and don’t appear to see the court very well. Galloway, who can’t jump as high or has the quickness of either, appears to have much better court awareness and an understanding of how to get the ball where the post can score. I actually think he’s going to be a much better player eventually than either of them. He already appears to be a better leader as well. Thats talent too.

Coach, a serious observation. To me “confidence” is a bit of an amorphous term. I think it’s more a matter of lack of basketball talent and focus. Al and Rob are average to mediocre ball handlers and passers and don’t appear to see the court very well. Galloway, who can’t jump as high or has the quickness of either, appears to have much better court awareness and an understanding of how to get the ball where the post can score. I actually think he’s going to be a much better player eventually than either of them. He already appears to be a better leader as well. Thats talent too.

Rob and Al aren’t all-world but we’ve seen them play exponentially better throughout their careers. I think it’s a confidence issue. They don’t look to score. They don’t look into the post. They take the air out of the ball and dribble outside on the perimeter. They scored 6 points between them on 1-9 shooting.

Look at Franklin on the other hand. While he still needs to work on consistency, at least he hunts his shot. Not afraid to put the ball on the floor and drive the basket. Al and Rob aren’t going to win you the B10, but they SHOULD be serviceable enough to keep the offense functioning. Never going to happen with the way they’ve been playing the last few games.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Guards set the tone for the Northwestern loss. Rob and Al were guarded by some really good Northwestern guards. Since both of our guards were out of sync, the whole offense got behind the curve.

I understand Al's play. Great at times; but also not the best decisions, at times.

But Rob's performance, which is not the best on offense, is perplexing. His play as a freshman was better than expected and up to his hype preseason. But he has really not gotten into rhythm recently. He values the ball. But he doesn't get a step on most defenders...and he doesn't initiate the offense quickly. I'm guessing that he never really shook off getting a very serious concussion. Need the off-ball players to move, too.

Have to give credit to the defenses. Double TJD at first. Slow down and worry the guards. Be physical. Make free throws.

Archie's biggest mistake was not bringing the guard that he had recruited at Dayton. Archie's system relies so very heavily on the good point guard play. Where is it?

Today with Rob and Al...IU is going to struggle all year unless they get cracking. Getting the freshmen up to speed is a good idea; but, they will be freshmen against upperclassmen until the season is almost over. Archie's teams do get better though the season. But so will other teams.

Archie does understand X's and O's. So far, it seems, the recruiting end of it is suspect. Also, the chemistry of the team over the last year or two was not ideal.

I do not think that he is on the hot seat. I also do not like the underperformance of the Indiana basketball program over the last 2 decades. This year needs to play out. Get into the tourney...get some wins there. Get some transfers this spring.

Make some more outside shots and this team will open up on offense. Maybe Franklin will catch lightening in a bottle and drag Rob out of his shooting funk.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT