ADVERTISEMENT

IUWBB: Indiana adds ’18 guard Chanel Wilson ... add Pitt transfer, Brenna Wise

snowling

Hall of Famer
by Jon Blau

Indiana picked up its second 2018 commit Thursday night with Georgia’s Chanel Wilson.

Wilson, a 5-foot-7 guard from Powder Springs, Ga., averaged 12.9 points, 5.0 assists and 2.1 steals per game in 24 games as a junior for McEachern High School. She tore her ACL in January, but her team went on to win a fourth straight state championship.

Wilson was on campus this past October for Hoosier Hysteria. Along with Louisville’s Grace Berger, the Hoosiers now have two guards as part of its 2018 class. IU has room to add as many as six players in ’18, but it’s more realistic to think this class will have four or five players.

Wilson adds a guard with a willingness to shoot the 3. She went 59-of-160, or 37 percent, from beyond the arc as a junior. She may be somewhat under the radar playing alongside Quanniecia Morrison, a five-star guard headed to Georgia in the fall.

http://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/...wilson/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Hoosiers!

Brenna Wise Joins Indiana Women’s Basketball

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Indiana Women’s Basketball head coach Teri Moren has announced the addition of 6-foot sophomore forward Brenna Wise to the program on Friday.

“We are extremely excited to add Brenna to our roster and that she will continue her career both academically and athletically at Indiana,” Moren said. “She will be a tremendous presence with her ability to play inside and out. Her versatility makes her a really tough matchup.”

A transfer from the University of Pittsburgh, Wise led the Panthers in with 14.3 points and 6.4 rebounds and was an All-ACC Academic Team selection in 2016-17. The Pittsburgh, Pa. native started in all 61 games of her first two seasons at Pitt, where she was also an ACC All-Freshman team selection in 2015-16. She shot 44.6 percent from the floor and 32.9 percent from 3-point range (26-for-79) and a team-high 89.5 percent (102-for-114) from the charity stripe.

In 2016-17, Wise recorded five double-doubles and posted 24 games in double figures including five games with 20 points or more. She set a school record going a perfect 13-for-13 from the free throw line against Virginia Tech where she also recorded a career-high 31 points. She grabbed a season-high 12 rebounds against nationally-ranked Duke and finished 15th in the ACC in scoring and 13th in rebounding last season.

As a freshman in 2015-16, Wise also led her team in scoring (10.7 ppg.) and rebounds (7.6 rpg,) to go along with seven double-doubles, the fifth-most in the ACC, and 19 double-figure scoring games. Her 25-point game helped orchestrate a comeback win for Pitt in the ACC Tournament over North Carolina for the program’s first-ever win in the conference tournament.

Wise was rated as the 13th best small forward in the class of 2015 by ESPN out of Vincentian Academy in Pittsburgh. She was a two-time Single A State Championship and a two-time PIAA State Player of the Year. She averaged 20.8 points and 7.2 rebounds as a senior and scored 2,331 points and grabbed over 1,000 rebounds in her high school career. Wise helped guide Vincentian Academy to four WPIAL championship titles in four years and was a 2015 Miss PA Basketball finalist. In addition, she was named to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette “Fabulous 5” and Pittsburgh Tribune Review “Terrific Ten.”

She joins Ali Patberg as two offseason additions to the roster, who will both sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules and will each have two seasons of eligibility beginning 2017-18.

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/5/19/brenna-wise-joins-indiana-womens-basketball.aspx

Go Hoosiers!

Worth a read:

IUWBB: Hoosiers add Pitt transfer Brenna Wise

by Jon Blau

Former Pittsburgh forward Brenna Wise will transfer to Indiana.

Wise, a 6-foot sophomore, averaged a team-high 14.3 points and 6.4 rebounds per game for the Panthers last season. The Pittsburgh native is the second transfer to choose IU as a destination this offseason, following sophomore guard Ali Patberg, formerly of Notre Dame.

Wise visited campus with Patberg the third week of April. The combination of Patberg and Wise should help Teri Moren’s program turn over once rising seniors Amanda Cahill and Tyra Buss graduate. The Hoosiers will have only a handful of returners next year, and will bring in a five-player freshmen class.

Wise chose IU over Ohio State, Michigan, Dayton and Villanova.

“It’s an incredible academic institution, and not only that, it’s the mecca of basketball,” Wise said. “You think about all the tradition, the candy-striped pants. I want to be there, thriving in that mecca of basketball, under the leadership of Coach Moren and a tremendous staff. It came down to a very tough decision. I led with my heart and my gut, and I’m excited to call Indiana my home and be a Hoosier.”

While she is not from Indiana, and Bloomington’s distance from Pittsburgh was a hurdle for her to cross, she has a couple connections to IU. She played on the AAU team coached by John Miller, the father of new men’s basketball coach Archie Miller. Also, with Patberg, another transfer from the Athletic Coast Conference, she will have companionship during her transfer season.

Patberg committed to IU on April 23, the final day of their weekend visit.

“She’s a very talented point guard,” Wise said of Patberg. “Coming from the ACC, I am familiar with that caliber of player. I need someone who will push me, and we have each other for that year we sit out.

“I owed it to myself to look at all my options and go through the process thoroughly and make an educated decision. I’m glad Ali’s a part of that.”

http://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2017/05/iuwbb-report-hoosiers-add-pitt-transfer-brenna-wise/

Go Hoosiers!

Last edited:
Reactions: jsglenn4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT