ADVERTISEMENT

IU's RB Ronnie Walker Enters Transfer Portal:

red hornet

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2019
One of the top recruits from the 2018 class is entering the transfer portal. He's seen less playing time as Stevie Scott & Sampson James have emerged. Also Tim Baldwin, a Michigan flip & RB new recruit is enrolled at IU already.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
One of the top recruits from the 2018 class is entering the transfer portal. He's seen less playing time as Stevie Scott & Sampson James have emerged. Also Tim Baldwin, a Michigan flip & RB new recruit is enrolled at IU already.
Hate to see him go, but the writing was on the wall in terms of playing time. I wish him the best.

Guys entering the portal reflects that we're building depth at key positions.

Too bad he never panned out. Thought he could have been great for us. Just didnt work out and he saw himself getting buried in the depth chart. Hopefully he can find a good spot to land and flourish. Wish nothing but the best for the young man.

He half-ass got Wally Pipped. If Gest doesn't tear his ACL first game of 2018, who knows if Stevie ever gets the reps to breakout his FR year.

On top of that, if Ellison doesn't do what he did, there's a fairly high chance that Stevie is in the LB room right now.

That darn butterfly effect for real. Can never predict how these things will shake out.

Maybe the emergence of David Ellis and Sampson James last year may have pushed him far enough down the line he was not going to see the amount of playing time he expected. Ahrod Lloyd could be another factor if he is back next year. With the freshman Baldwin coming in, I feel we will have enough help behind Scott to be comfortable in the RB area.

IIRC, he ended up being a 3rd down receiving back, primarily. I'm not sure that he liked half his playing time being focused on pass blocking . . .

. . . can't recall the guy - a walk-on, I think - who filled that role prior to Walker. Was it Rodriguez? Anyway, I wish Walker well, and hope he finds some carries where he ends up.

It would seem it makes sense only if he's leaving for a smaller program........he's just not good enough to be a BT-level starter.
Or a program that doesn't require its backs to be pounders.

Walker seems more like a hit-the-hole-in-a-hurry-and-go type of back as compared to Stevie Scott's and Sampson James' power back styles.

I'm thinking ACC maybe . . . or a program with a dominant OL in its conference.

I think he fits in with a smaller program or one that spreads it out and passes (ala the Big 12). He has talent and was one of the many key pieces but I completely understand his thought process. Unfortunately its depth that typically wins in CFBall and we keep losing just that. Hopefully we can get a transfer or JUCO but in order to do that, they have to be willing to take on the same situation that Ronnie is trying to get out of. Not an easy sell.....

Reactions: vesuvius13
Do we go find another running back or give that schollie to Spegal?
Absolutely do not give the schollie to Spegal yet. If you're not able to replace Walker in the RB with a grad transfer looking to take on a limited role, I say you give it to senior walk-on who might crack the rotation somewhere vs. a freshman. If Spegal impresses on the scout team and shows the coaches something, he'll earn his scholarship, but giving it to him out of the gate will not be good for player morale. It certainly wouldn't end up with one of those feel good videos where the team celebrates a kid who worked his tail off as a walk-on for 2 or 3 years before earning one.

maybe take Tuggle in addition to Benson (if Trey hasn't signed yet), or find another pass rusher somewhere

Well I am not surprised that he's leaving, but I'm very surprised that he didn't pan out at IU. He was the #22 RB in the nation coming out of HS. He was easily one of the top recruits for IU when he committed. He also was an early enrollee as a FR. I really thought he'd be the guy, but SS has moved way in front of him. Add in SJ overtaking him as the backup and I think we all saw the writing on the wall. I was very much hoping he'd stay, as depth is so crucial at RB, but I'm sure he sees himself as a starter and he'll probably get that at the right school. Good luck Ronnie.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
Correct, these easy transfers really hurt the player utimately, as they do not learn to persevere in life situation decisions, taking the easy road out.
This is just typical fan spin-doctoring. This kid has no doubt worked harder in his short life than you ever will. He's only got a couple of years left to do the thing he probably loves most in life. Idk...maybe he'd like to make sure he's out on the field somewhere, having fun and making memories? Why ride the bench when you can play the game you love

Maybe the emergence of David Ellis and Sampson James last year may have pushed him far enough down the line he was not going to see the amount of playing time he expected. Ahrod Lloyd could be another factor if he is back next year. With the freshman Baldwin coming in, I feel we will have enough help behind Scott to be comfortable in the RB area.

Emergence of Sampson James? He had 275 rushing yards the whole year. He was pretty bad other than the Purdue game, where he rushed for almost half of his season total. Is being good against a bad Purdue emerging?

Charlie Spegal could be a wild card, too.

Reactions: 82IU and 76-1

What we could use if that individual is available is a change of pace RB with that extra gear that can take it all the way on any given play. Stevie and Sampson are power backs and that is great. One with excellent ball catching skills that can take that 5 yard pass and a turn it into a 1st down on a 3rd and 10 play. Not sure who is available, Ellis may be that guy already on our roster. Just feel we need more speed out of that position during certain segments of a game. I would expect Walker to transfer nearer his home out east not within the BIG.

Reactions: DANC and red hornet
Didn't A-Train Harvey agree to a PWO offer?

I hope that's the case.

My "open source" info shows him with a scholarship offers from INDIANA and Toledo (with nothing finalized)...

I'm way behind the curve as far as recruiting info goes though, so you probably know more about that than I...

Reactions: red hornet
What we could use if that individual is available is a change of pace RB with that extra gear that can take it all the way on any given play. Stevie and Sampson are power backs and that is great. One with excellent ball catching skills that can take that 5 yard pass and a turn it into a 1st down on a 3rd and 10 play. Not sure who is available, Ellis may be that guy already on our roster. Just feel we need more speed out of that position during certain segments of a game. I would expect Walker to transfer nearer his home out east not within the BIG.

Makes me wish Gest would've hung around. I 100% get that he wanted to have a chance to be featured, which didn't look likely here with Scott, James, & Walker at the time he made his decision. But with Walker dropping out, he had a chance to be the change of pace burner his senior year. Still wouldn't have been featured, but could have had a successful season.

Correct, these easy transfers really hurt the player utimately, as they do not learn to persevere in life situation decisions, taking the easy road out.
The transfers are just like the initial decision to attend college. For many people the initial decision is the correct one. For others a change of scenery is helpful. But there is that third group who encounter some hurdles they don't want to work through and see the grass as greener somewhere else, and then regret their decision to transfer. These are the guys who really get hurt in the transfer system.

Reactions: TMFT and red hornet
The transfers are just like the initial decision to attend college. For many people the initial decision is the correct one. For others a change of scenery is helpful. But there is that third group who encounter some hurdles they don't want to work through and see the grass as greener somewhere else, and then regret their decision to transfer. These are the guys who really get hurt in the transfer system.
Should have clarified this--Michigan among others AD's want a proposal whereby players can have a first-time transfer w/o loss of time in sitting out a year. This revolving door policy will only make the rich, richer & the non-elites poorer,thus widening the gap between the haves & the have-nots.

Should have clarified this--Michigan among others AD's want a proposal whereby players can have a first-time transfer w/o loss of time in sitting out a year. This revolving door policy will only make the rich, richer & the non-elites poorer,thus widening the gap between the haves & the have-nots.
Yep. It's another move designed for P5 conferences to monopolize the business of college football.

I can't decide whether that's a good thing for IU or not . . . we're in a P5 conference, but we're not an elite program . . . it feels like if we want the money from the BiG Network we have to dance to OSU's, UM's, PSU's, Wisconsin's and Nebraska's tunes . . . I'm not sure whether I like that better than bringing our own music . . . .

Honestly, that'll have to be okay. Labor rights are more important.

That may be true, but you only have 85 Scholarship Players. If one of the Big Powers signs an excellent transfer player, that means somebody already in their program will lose position or playing time and enter the portal making a very good player available for transfer. This may end up being a Revolving Door or game of Musical Chairs, where nobody gets substantially better.

Reactions: red hornet
Yep. It's another move designed for P5 conferences to monopolize the business of college football.

I can't decide whether that's a good thing for IU or not . . . we're in a P5 conference, but we're not an elite program . . . it feels like if we want the money from the BiG Network we have to dance to OSU's, UM's, PSU's, Wisconsin's and Nebraska's tunes . . . I'm not sure whether I like that better than bringing our own music . . . .
One thing I can tell that I'm seeing with IU is when you are good, players want to come and play there including grad kids (if they can get into the grad programs IU offers that is) and with being good means kids that aren't getting playing time or aren't the greatest fit or are just kinda homesick find suitors all over the place that suddenly want their services. It seems this is power 5 ball these days, especially with programs that are winning. Virginia Tech lost 12 guys to the portal (grads or transfers outright) this season, and Stanford will have lost almost as many by the summer. It's crazy and could be a lot worse at IU. It truly is the free agency of college football. So they need to do something. Idk if what is being purposed will work as there's coaches like Jim Harbaugh that always find loopholes, but it's clear it's getting out of control.

Quick question....Why would Walker wait until the after the late signing period to enter the portal??? Seems like his options would have been greater if he had done this last month. Now some potential landing spots might not be available if no scholarships are left after this weeks signings.

Quick question....Why would Walker wait until the after the late signing period to enter the portal??? Seems like his options would have been greater if he had done this last month. Now some potential landing spots might not be available if no scholarships are left after this weeks signings.
Maybe the freshman who is already on campus is a total stud and he figured better start now so he could be somewhere else for spring ball there? Maybe he will be wise and go to a smaller D1 or other school and can really showcase himself.

As I say on all of these transfers, wish them great luck ahead and excited that it opens up another spot for hopefully a great player who wants to be at IU. Feel like the grad transfer options are potentially out there (the Miami WR and Swann DE from Stanford) and or just an extra scholly spot for next year's class or a deserving walk on.

He showed bursts at times but let's face it, he didn't set the world on fire at IU. Again, wish him well, but the IU team now has legit good players and it's not easy to crack the line up if you are not a really good player. Sampson James didn't set the world on fire and he was a 4-star OSU signee who flipped. B10 is real and both James and Scott are big dudes. I like the new kid we signed (ironically from VA) and his reports made him sound like a really good player. (Wasn't he a one time UMich recruit?) If so, that's three good RB choices that I hope will all continue to grow and develop. It's been awhile since we've had the Tevin Coleman & Jordan Howard high end, NFL caliber backs. I miss them. Let's go!

Virtually none of these people are ever going to be professional football players. And even those that do, there’s a high percentage of them that end up bankrupt. Wherever they end up I hope they are able to take advantage of the education opportunities they are provided. Best of luck to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT