ADVERTISEMENT

IUMS vs. Oakland live thread

GOAAAAL Indiana in the sixth minute. Richard Ballard off a pretty ball from Tanner Thompson. Ballard is a beast right now. He's a goal scoring machine at the moment.

Webb, Palazzolo, Lillard, Swartz, Thompson, Panchot, Fives, Gutman, Gutjahr, Ballard and Buckmaster were the starting 11, by the way. But I wouldn't put too much stock into that.

Oakland had a 1-on-1 scoring chance against Colin Webb after a slip by freshman AJ Palazzolo but couldn't convert. Ball went off the crossbar in the 16th minute. The crowd his huge here for a preseason game, by the way. I see a lot of the women's team on hand.

Again, I don't want to put too much stock into it, but I'm impressed that AJ Palazzolo is starting as a true freshman in the back. He's playing right back right now. He looks a lot like Lillard, physically, being 6-foot-1 and weighing 165 pounds

Rees Wedderburn checking in with Rashad Hyacenth. Austin Panchot and Phil Fives coming out of the game. I'm really excited to see these two up top. They are both clear options to emerge as scoring threats.

Right on the spot, Wedderburn plays a pretty cross to find Grant Lillard in the box. Lillard's header can't find the back of the net, but man, that was a great ball. Wedderburn is playing on the right wing of the attacking end right now. I think he finds a home there this season.

Right on the spot, Wedderburn plays a pretty cross to find Grant Lillard in the box. Lillard's header can't find the back of the net, but man, that was a great ball. Wedderburn is playing on the right wing of the attacking end right now. I think he finds a home there this season.

This was in the 25th minute, by the way. Listing times is hard.

I'm not trying to over-gush on Tanner Thompson, which I'm going to do a lot because I appreciate talented forwards, but he's been fantastic with the ball tonight. He's making back-footed passes look elementary.

Indiana still up 1-0 with less than 10 minutes in the half. Wedderburn has put two good balls into the box so far tonight without anything to show for it. I want to start a #FreeWeddy hashtag to get him more playing time because everything he does is exciting. Oakland just can't get any serious threats going. Just one shot, no forced saves.

HALFTIME: Indiana leads Oakland 1-0. Richard Ballard's goal is the difference.

IU has 6 shots to Oakland's 1
3 corners to their 2
2 fouls to their 1
Neither keeper has registered a save

Generally, Indiana has given Oakland trouble just about everywhere. The Grizzlies have gotten the ball into the box a few times but can't do anything with it. So that's where that stands. Weddy and Rashad were the only subs so far.

62' - GOAAAAAAL Indiana. Phil Fives makes it 3-0 with a finish in the box. No idea who got the assist, and we're not keeping official stats today, so we might remain in the dark there. It might have been Austin Panchot.

Freshman Ian Black creates some space for himself and rifles off a left-footed try with nine minutes left. Saved. IU still up 3-0. We're into "just kill the clock" time.

Indiana Beats Oakland, 4-0, in Exhibition Match

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. –
The No. 14-ranked Indiana men's soccer team defeated the Oakland Golden Grizzlies, 4-0, in an exhibition match on Thursday night at Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

Scoring goals in the victory for the Hoosiers were Richard Ballard, Rashad Hyacenth, Phil Fives and Ian Black. Notching assist in the win were Tanner Thompson, Rees Wedderburn and A.J. Palazzolo.

Six minutes in to the second segment, the Hoosiers struck as Thompson laid off a pass to his left finding Ballard, who struck a right-footed curler from just inside the 18-yard box.

Just seconds in to the third and final segment, Wedderburn played a great ball in to Hyacenth from the left side, setting up the Belmont transfer a tap-in goal at the right post. Later in the third segment, Fives got in to the scoring, cracking a shot from 22 yards out on the right side that found the top left corner of the far post.

The Hoosiers capped their scoring against Oakland with just three minutes left in the third segment. Working down the right side of the pitch, Palazzolo sent a cross in to the middle of the six-yard box that found the foot of a sliding Black, who netted IU's fourth goal of the final two segments.

Prior to the start of the formal game, the two teams played one, informal 45-minute segment with players that were not scheduled to see as much time in the formal game getting an opportunity to play extended minutes.

In that informal segment, the Hoosiers out-scored Oakland, 3-0, with Trevor Swartz, Ian Black and Cory Thomas notching goals for IU.

The Hoosiers will close out the exhibition season with a high-profile matchup with the No. 13-ranked UCLA Bruins in the Shindigz National Soccer Festival in Ft. Wayne, Ind. on Saturday, Aug. 20. Kickoff is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. ET.

For all the latest on Indiana University men's soccer, be sure to follow the team at @IUMensSoccer on Twitter, Facebook,Instagram and Snapchat.

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2016/8/1...akland-4-0-in-exhibition-match.aspx?path=msoc

Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT