ADVERTISEMENT

IU would have been in NCAA Tournament per Lunardi

Dipchit - no one mafe the ncaa tournament this year.
Archie made the BigTen Tournament...but every Big Ten team does...as the 11th seed earned with a losing conference record.

3 years in - yet to have a winning conference record...yet to play an NCAA tourney game.
Exactly, if anyone had any brains they'd see this is the perfect opportunity to can him assuming it would happen next year anyway

we are not in a Tournament that isn't being played. This isn't Madden Football or Stratego Baseball. Then again if my Aunt had a set of balls she would be my Uncle.

This will never happen.

If they release a bracket, coaches than then claim that they made the tournament and then claim a bonus if they had that in their contract.

No way this happens.

Clearly bubble. Those mock brackets don’t include conference tournament upsets that steal bids. This is very, very basic man.

You are very, very basically wrong. As soon as the game was over on Wednesday, we were in the tournament. We were in the top 5 or 6 as far as wins against Top 25 teams. We had no bad (Tier 3 or 4) losses. We had 20 wins with the 17th ranked SOS. I get that some of you are on a crusade against Miller and you are entitled to your opinion. You just are not entitled to your own facts.

We would have been in if the tournament was held.

You are very, very basically wrong. As soon as the game was over on Wednesday, we were in the tournament. We were in the top 5 or 6 as far as wins against Top 25 teams. We had no bad (Tier 3 or 4) losses. We had 20 wins with the 17th ranked SOS. I get that some of you are on a crusade against Miller and you are entitled to your opinion. You just are not entitled to your own facts.

Well, you see, feepaw was having dinner with Donovan and Lander over at his place, and they all agreed that IU was on the bubble. Hard to argue with that kind of credibility.

This will never happen.

If they release a bracket, coaches than then claim that they made the tournament and then claim a bonus if they had that in their contract.

No way this happens.

I don't see how they can release a bracket since the selection meeting never happened. Unless that is just a formality? Don't really know how that works behind the scenes.

I don't see how they can release a bracket since the selection meeting never happened. Unless that is just a formality? Don't really know how that works behind the scenes.
Well, obviously they don't have a bracket to release at this time for the very reason you stated. What they're considering is to have the committee to meet via teleconference to make a bracket. Remains to be seen whether they will do this or not. I linked an article which take about it in an earlier post.

We finished 11th out of 14 in the Big Ten. It was definitely not certain. It was a toss up.

Doesn’t matter now.

New what? Any reasonable person would say we were on the bubble. I’m not saying we were out, but we were on the bubble. Nearly a toss up.
The experts disagree with you. They say IU was safely in. Why do you post opinions? Your opinions are forever worthless. Unless you link something credible to support what you post, they’re nothing more than crap to avoid for everyone here.

Easily? So, objectively, you admit we're bad enough that we'd be in the conversation with the last 8 teams?
Are you still trying to act like you know something? You? You are here debating people about basketball? Lol...good stuff.
Give us some insight, like the time you said Lander would never commit the day after he commited.

Last edited:
As it’s not up to us, or any expert that isn’t on the committee the best we can do is look at the criteria posted by the committee and speculate.

below is the criteria and the link. I think it’s close. IU has a NET of 56, which is 12th in the BT , similar to our B10 standing. Minnesota and PU (32), are both ahead of us.

We have troubling results as far as road record, and out of conference strength of schedule. These are used as criteria per the committee. Various computer models include things like KenPom, but we know the committee uses NET predominantly.

here’s what THEY say:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/mens-basketball-selections-101-selections

The NCAA Evaluation Tool, known as the NET, is in its second year of existence and is one of many factors used by NCAA sports committees when evaluating team selection, seeding and bracketing.

The components of the NET include the Team Value Index, which is based on game results and factors game location, the opponent and outcome, as well as net efficiency, winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and a capped scoring margin.

Other criteria the committee considers in the selections process:

• An extensive season-long evaluation of teams through watching games, conference monitoring calls and regional advisory committee rankings.
  • Complete box scores and results.
  • Head-to-head results and results versus common opponents.
  • Imbalanced conference schedules and results.
  • Overall and nonconference strength of schedule.
  • The quality of wins and losses.
  • Road record.
  • Player and coach availability.
  • Various computer metrics.

• https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Reactions: Upset Alert
Well, obviously they don't have a bracket to release at this time for the very reason you stated. What they're considering is to have the committee to meet via teleconference to make a bracket. Remains to be seen whether they will do this or not. I linked an article which take about it in an earlier post.
Why would the Committee Put themselves through this ordeal? They get enough pressure in a normal year when they formulate a Bracket for a Tournament that is being played? That criticism usually dies down after the first few days when the NIT teams are selected. In this case the criticism and discussion would never end because nobody has anything else to move on to.

Why would the Committee Put themselves through this ordeal? They get enough pressure in a normal year when they formulate a Bracket for a Tournament that is being played? That criticism usually dies down after the first few days when the NIT teams are selected. In this case the criticism and discussion would never end because nobody has anything else to move on to.

Not to mention that it really wouldn’t be a valid bracket as the season didn’t end. They need the conference tournaments to complete to see who gets the auto bid. If UNC wins the ACC what does that do? If PU makes it to Sunday, what about them. The permutations are endless. Releasing a bracket before the season is over is bracketology.

Reactions: Radio Zero
The experts disagree with you. They say IU was safely in. Why do you post opinions? Your opinions are forever worthless. Unless you link something credible to support what you post, they’re nothing more than crap to avoid for everyone here.

Experts because they have a website? Is it fixed thst they know Dayton would win and an A10 wouldn’t steal a bid? Or countless other teams in other conferences couldn’t get hit and win? With no tournament there is no gurantee anyone would make it.

As it’s not up to us, or any expert that isn’t on the committee the best we can do is look at the criteria posted by the committee and speculate.

below is the criteria and the link. I think it’s close. IU has a NET of 56, which is 12th in the BT , similar to our B10 standing. Minnesota and PU (32), are both ahead of us.

We have troubling results as far as road record, and out of conference strength of schedule. These are used as criteria per the committee. Various computer models include things like KenPom, but we know the committee uses NET predominantly.

here’s what THEY say:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/mens-basketball-selections-101-selections

The NCAA Evaluation Tool, known as the NET, is in its second year of existence and is one of many factors used by NCAA sports committees when evaluating team selection, seeding and bracketing.

The components of the NET include the Team Value Index, which is based on game results and factors game location, the opponent and outcome, as well as net efficiency, winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and a capped scoring margin.

Other criteria the committee considers in the selections process:

• An extensive season-long evaluation of teams through watching games, conference monitoring calls and regional advisory committee rankings.
  • Complete box scores and results.
  • Head-to-head results and results versus common opponents.
  • Imbalanced conference schedules and results.
  • Overall and nonconference strength of schedule.
  • The quality of wins and losses.
  • Road record.
  • Player and coach availability.
  • Various computer metrics.

• https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

I have said for quite a while that the NCAA should come up with a computer model to pick the 64 teams. That should be the ONLY determining factor for who makes the tournament. That index should be posted every week after something like the first month of the season. The EVERYONE would know who is in and who is out, right up to the last regular season game is played.

Then the committee could seed the teams and try and keep some regionality (if that is a word!) to the pairings. Or they could just pair the number one overall team with #64 and continue on from there. Then all the committee would have to do is say where they are playing.

There has to be a reason why they don't do this.

Experts because they have a website? Is it fixed thst they know Dayton would win and an A10 wouldn’t steal a bid? Or countless other teams in other conferences couldn’t get hit and win? With no tournament there is no gurantee anyone would make it.

No guarantee but a pretty educated guess. I will ask you what I have asked others. Can you name one team that made every predicted bracket and NOT made the tournament on selection Sunday?

Experts get paid for what they do, and those experts say IU was safely in. That means in your scenario they think some other team would be bumped. Feepaw has proved he’s no expert on anything. Everything he posts should be considered worthless nonsense unless he links some credible source to support it. Are you saying you agree with the board’s dunce?

I have said for quite a while that the NCAA should come up with a computer model to pick the 64 teams. That should be the ONLY determining factor for who makes the tournament. That index should be posted every week after something like the first month of the season. The EVERYONE would know who is in and who is out, right up to the last regular season game is played.

Then the committee could seed the teams and try and keep some regionality (if that is a word!) to the pairings. Or they could just pair the number one overall team with #64 and continue on from there. Then all the committee would have to do is say where they are playing.

There has to be a reason why they don't do this.
Teams would quit trying were they to know there was no chance of getting in, is why. Would devalue (most importantly to the NCAA, in *monetary* terms) the games in general.

Teams would quit trying were they to know there was no chance of getting in, is why. Would devalue (most importantly to the NCAA, in *monetary* terms) the games in general.

Don't know if I buy into that assertion.

Every team would have something to play for such as, better seeding in their conference tournament so that they would have a better path to win it and make it into the NCAA.

Then of course, there is the NIT.

No guarantee but a pretty educated guess. I will ask you what I have asked others. Can you name one team that made every predicted bracket and NOT made the tournament on selection Sunday?

It might be a better question to ask how often Lunardi gets his pre-tourney selection bracket 100% correct.

Lunardi is considered an expert and had them as an 11 seed. That does not take into account bid stealers from conference tournaments. They would PROBABLY go into selection on the bubble. No one knows what would have happened. IU might have won the conference tournament.

Reactions: Birnk403
Maybe IU makes it into the tourney. Maybe they don’t. Beating Nebraska in the first round of the BTT didn’t tip the scales in my opinion. It just kept IU from elimination.

The bigger question to me is did IU deserve to be in the tourney.

Reasons for getting into the tourney:

20 wins
Tough SOS
Tough conference
Quality wins against FSU, MSU, Penn State , OSU, Iowa
No bad losses according to published metrics.

Reasons for not getting into the tourney:

Finished 11th in the Big Ten. Disappointing any way you slice it.

9-11 record in regular season conference play. Not sure that is justifiable and expect to make tourney with that poor of a conference showing.

Performed poorly (did not compete) on the road at Wisky, Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue. Average margin of defeat was 14 point per game. Throw in the lackluster home loss to Purdue by 12.

Out of the 10 Big Ten wins including the one BT tourney win against Nebraska, 6 were against Nebraska, Northwestern, and Minny. All bottom feeders along with IU. We were 4-11 against the 10 teams ahead of us.

Weak non conference schedule.

I’m sure there are other reasons for and against making the tourney.
My take is we were very average, could not shoot well, and had a poor basketball IQ. We sure didn’t look like a tourney team to me. However, this season was ripe with parity and maybe an average IU team makes it to the Big Dance.

It is disappointing we won’t have the opportunity to find out for sure.

Last edited:
What experts? Definitely not Lunardi.

It might be a better question to ask how often Lunardi gets his pre-tourney selection bracket 100% correct.

From what I have been told, it wasn't just Lunardi but ever bracket prediction out there and that is why I constructed the question the way that I did.

What experts? Definitely not Lunardi.

Ok. Here is Andy Katz. IU a ten seed. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...rnament-bracket-predicted-using-top-16-reveal

Here is Jerry Palm. IU a ten seed. https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

Sporting news. IU a 11 seed. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...rnament-field-of-68/jpwkv3rkmcv51hc0n6zjfuf82

SI. One guy has IU as a 10 the other has IU at an EIGHT. https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/06/ncaa-tournament-bracket-predictions-march-madness

Another site has IU as an 11. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/bracket-predictions/

Do I need to go on? See a trend?

And before you go there, NO we don't know for sure but if you can find one team in the history of bracket predictions that was IN the tourney in every prediction and then was OUT on selection Sunday then your argument would have more credibility.

Reactions: MrBing
Folks, IU was not a slam dunk on this. Going into the UW game, which was a must win and which they lost in soul-crushing fashion, they were in Lunardi’s last four in. Things were tenuous at best even after the Nebraska game.

Are you f****** serious? Now you’re arguing IU off the bubble? Really? The Arizona States, NC States, and Cincinnatis were soooo much more worthy? Lol. Your hate makes you dumb.
forPU probably has Purdue in over IU.

Are you f****** serious? Now you’re arguing IU off the bubble? Really? The Arizona States, NC States, and Cincinnatis were soooo much more worthy? Lol. Your hate makes you dumb.
What a peculiar situation . . . His hate makes him dumb while your stupidity makes you hate. Strange, yet funny.

Ok. Here is Andy Katz. IU a ten seed. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...rnament-bracket-predicted-using-top-16-reveal

Here is Jerry Palm. IU a ten seed. https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

Sporting news. IU a 11 seed. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...rnament-field-of-68/jpwkv3rkmcv51hc0n6zjfuf82

SI. One guy has IU as a 10 the other has IU at an EIGHT. https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/06/ncaa-tournament-bracket-predictions-march-madness

Another site has IU as an 11. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/bracket-predictions/

Do I need to go on? See a trend?

And before you go there, NO we don't know for sure but if you can find one team in the history of bracket predictions that was IN the tourney in every prediction and then was OUT on selection Sunday then your argument would have more credibility.
To further illustrate your point:
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-hoosiers-were-in-89-of-90-final-bracketologies/

Reactions: MrBing
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT