ADVERTISEMENT

IU women's basketball

SouthBendJim

Junior
Dec 19, 2004
Stomped Purdue 83-60 today to win the B1G regular championship for the first time in 40 years!

Coach Teri Moren winningest coach in IU women's basketball history.

Grace Berger winningest IU women's player ever. Can't believe she's been here 4 years.

MacKenzie Holmes planning to return next season.

Hope the men were watching this team play great basketball. Maybe something will rub off...

Stomped Purdue 83-60 today to win the B1G regular championship for the first time in 40 years!

Coach Teri Moren winningest coach in IU women's basketball history.

Grace Berger winningest IU women's player ever. Can't believe she's been here 4 years.

MacKenzie Holmes planning to return next season.

Hope the men were watching this team play great basketball. Maybe something will rub off...

Questions for anyone who knows.....

--Are Parrish, Scalia, Moore-McNeil and Garzon all expected back next year (I know Holmes is)

--Are Zaric (6'2" freshman) and Sandvik (6'0" freshman) real prospects? Meister & Bargesser have gotten some time, them not as far as I know.....

For others who don't follow their recruiting, they have two guards coming in next year as well, named LaMendola & Beaumont. They are ranked as #s 51 & 83 recruits nationally by ESPN.

--Are Parrish, Scalia, Moore-McNeil and Garzon all expected back next year (I know Holmes is)

--Are Zaric (6'2" freshman) and Sandvik (6'0" freshman) real prospects? Meister & Bargesser have gotten some time, them not as far as I know.....

For others who don't follow their recruiting, they have two guards coming in next year as well, named LaMendola & Beaumont. They are ranked as #s 51 & 83 recruits nationally by ESPN.
The only players not coming back are Grace and Alyssa.

I think that if IU makes a deep run or even a possible NCAA championship, 24' and 25' classes are gonna garner a few top 30 recruits. Moren just looks like she would be fun to play for plus her style.

haven't really followed women's ball much at all until this year but have been able to watch some of the games, especially the 'big' games over the past month.

I've become a huge fan of Grace. The way she plays is really impressive. I love players who appear to have unflappable mental focus on the court.

haven't really followed women's ball much at all until this year but have been able to watch some of the games, especially the 'big' games over the past month.

I've become a huge fan of Grace. The way she plays is really impressive. I love players who appear to have unflappable mental focus on the court.
I think the entire team has been very resilient. When the other team mounts a rally, they never get flustered or let it affect what they are doing. Hearing some of the interviews with other players, they all talk about Grace's focus and drive, so I believe she is a leader in that manner. She said Holmes had to tell her it was all right to stop and focus on her Senior night and winning (a share at least) of the B10 title. I was a bit surprised they did it up as big as they did yesterday with the hats, Tshirts and net cutting. I think they wanted to do that with the big crowd, but it did make me wonder if they were giving some bulletin board material to Iowa. An outright title would be fitting and deserved. Next Sunday should be a great game if Iowa doesn't lose this week, which is entirely possible playing @ MD.

I think the entire team has been very resilient. When the other team mounts a rally, they never get flustered or let it affect what they are doing. Hearing some of the interviews with other players, they all talk about Grace's focus and drive, so I believe she is a leader in that manner. She said Holmes had to tell her it was all right to stop and focus on her Senior night and winning (a share at least) of the B10 title. I was a bit surprised they did it up as big as they did yesterday with the hats, Tshirts and net cutting. I think they wanted to do that with the big crowd, but it did make me wonder if they were giving some bulletin board material to Iowa. An outright title would be fitting and deserved. Next Sunday should be a great game if Iowa doesn't lose this week, which is entirely possible playing @ MD.
That Iowa at MD game should be quite something to watch. MD's won 4 in a row but had to work to beat MSU on the road last game. With the exception of IU, Iowa's been trashing all comers lately. Attached is a good preview of the game from the MD perspective. I feel like Iowa's going to win this one.

Reactions: kkott
Not sure why it took us so long to really hire the right coach after decades of miss fires. I don't think that 80's, 90's & 2000 IU decision makers ever thought fans would back the girls like Purdue fans had for decades. It's Indiana & basketball, why wouldn't fans back a winner? This is long overdue IMO..

I heard on one of the TV interviews that IU Women were not interested in coach out of Seymour? Does anyone know if this is true? You have Miss Basketball is your backyard, who is an IU fan, & your not interested? Can't imagine that happening with the boys..

Not sure why it took us so long to really hire the right coach after decades of miss fires. I don't think that 80's, 90's & 2000 IU decision makers ever thought fans would back the girls like Purdue fans had for decades. It's Indiana & basketball, why wouldn't fans back a winner? This is long overdue IMO..

Like any kind of hiring, hiring coaches is a crapshoot. You just never know. RMK was never considered a home run hire, and it was a big jump from West Point to IU. Archie was a concensus great prospect. Moren hasn't had the kind of immediate success that Knight did, but she's built this program methodically and brought in players we can be proud of. We'll be losing the best player who has ever put on the uniform, and yet next year looks like it could be just as successful as this one has been. That's one helluva job by Coach Moren, done over the long term. We've got a lot of good WBB to look forward to.

Last edited:
I heard on one of the TV interviews that IU Women were not interested in coach out of Seymour? Does anyone know if this is true? You have Miss Basketball is your backyard, who is an IU fan, & your not interested? Can't imagine that happening with the boys..
I think it was the other way around.....Teri wasn't interested in IU bc Izard and the program were not good.

And IU actually hired two really good coaches before Teri. Sharon Versyp and Curt Miller. But neitherh worked out for differing reasons.

I think that if IU makes a deep run or even a possible NCAA championship, 24' and 25' classes are gonna garner a few top 30 recruits. Moren just looks like she would be fun to play for plus her style.
Indiana might be the #1 destination for any portal player..
I could see starters on other top 15 teams decide to come.
If their returning squad looks weak..
Then there's the quite disgruntled player..
Bank on the men's team to have one..

I am embarassed to say that I had not watched IU women's ball until the last two games.

That was fun. Women's ball has come a very long way in the last decade. Wonder if that little Petree would consider coming to Btown? She is dynamite and Btown would be a ton more enjoyable in every aspect.

I am embarassed to say that I had not watched IU women's ball until the last two games.

That was fun. Women's ball has come a very long way in the last decade. Wonder if that little Petree would consider coming to Btown? She is dynamite and Btown would be a ton more enjoyable in every aspect.
She's a grad transfer and yesterday was an anomaly. She averages 13.

I was thinking last night that Purdue doesn't have a single player that would start for us and I think only Ellis (23) and Woltman (35) would get any minutes as backups.

Reactions: kkott

The silent assassin. Deadly mid range shot that she creates herself. Spends time in the weight room. Never panics. Leads the team without being vocal.

Mona Zaric plays at the end when we are up 20. Same for Ariel and now KB. They help in practice, pushing starters, etc.
Lilly Meister has played the back up big minutes tho usually just 3-4 per game. Impressive since she is a freshman and the other bigs are upper classman.
Henna does not play as much as Lexus for guard minutes. Both are freshman.
We have six starters. Chloe, Mac, Grace, Syd, Yardon and Sara.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Our 2 recruits for next year are both guards.
I feel we need a big from the portal.
I don't know how attractive we would be to a big in the portal next year. Holmes is going to eat most of the minutes and Meister has dramatically improved over the course of the season. I don't see many minutes available, just as there weren't for Geary this year.

Reactions: baileyiu
I don't know how attractive we would be to a big in the portal next year. Holmes is going to eat most of the minutes and Meister has dramatically improved over the course of the season. I don't see many minutes available, just as there weren't for Geary this year.
You think Moren would turn down anyone who averages 12 agame at like a Oregon State or N.C.State..
Meister isn't that good yet..
She'd be like ..Welcome to Bloomington..

You think Moren would turn down anyone who averages 12 agame at like a Oregon State or N.C.State..

cougar's point is that we might not be all that attractive to a transfer big, not that CTM wouldn't welcome one.

Parrish and Moore-McNeil are both juniors with one standard year of eligibility remaining and an optional COVID year for 24-25 if they opt to stay around for a 5th year. It's been announced that Scalia will take her COVID year at IU and be back for 23-24. I've not heard anything indicating Garzon plans to leave the program after her freshman season. My guess is if she does opt to leave at some point, it will be to return to Israel to play pro ball and not to transfer to another college program.

Zaric is a sophomore. It looked like the coaches were trying to push her out for on-court minutes earlier in the season, but she's scaled-back to mop-up time. I've not seen anything in her play that makes me think she'll be a huge contributor in the future, but hope to be surprised. Sandvik has consistently gotten minutes, mostly as a late-quarter defensive sub. I do think she could develop and be a factor in the future.

LaMendola & Beaumont are both guards over 6', fitting the 'big guard' mold Moren seems to favor.

It was only miserable if you stayed awake for all of it. LOL
Fortunately, I guess my couch choked me out again and I was asleep for the dismal end of the first half, but I woke back up for the 2nd half. Even cutting it to 5, never felt like we were going to win at that point.

Fortunately, I guess my couch choked me out again and I was asleep for the dismal end of the first half, but I woke back up for the 2nd half. Even cutting it to 5, never felt like we were going to win at that point.
The game was definitely over at halftime.

Meister is very good and I want her to get experience behind Holmes. Actually I hope to see Meister & Holmes on the court occasionally next year

Reactions: Tscurlo
I was offered free tickets sunday morning but I had band rehearsal from 10:30 -2pm. My daughters went, they said it was fun. I've been able to watch a few games streaming. The womens team has it going on for sure.

Looking forward to being in B-town for opening round of NCAA TOURNAMENT. Glad I can get reserved seats ( no 2-3 hr early arrival to get a decent seat)!

Looking forward to being in B-town for opening round of NCAA TOURNAMENT. Glad I can get reserved seats ( no 2-3 hr early arrival to get a decent seat)!
Did you get the email today that demand is so great for reserved seats that the entire main level will be reserved and only the balcony will be GA?

Did you get the email today that demand is so great for reserved seats that the entire main level will be reserved and only the balcony will be GA?
Fortunately they are using the priority point system - I have very good seats for men’s basketball

Meister is very good and I want her to get experience behind Holmes. Actually I hope to see Meister & Holmes on the court occasionally next year
That is my thinking. Guards are far easier to come by and playing Lilly and Mac at the same time might be interesting. If we were to do that, who is the back up big?
Ariel and Mona do more late minutes in a big win. KB has experience but I dont think she is quick enough or has enough vertical leap to be influential. I think we need a big from the portal.
Sara came because she wanted to win. Syd that and coming home. Maybe a team first D first big is out there and would like a ring.

Coach Moren has done just a fabulous job building that program into a powerhouse.

They have great players. They play great team basketball. They have smart student athletes who are doing an amazing job representing the university and being role models for young kids.

It's a very impressive ascension. I think at this point the full engine of Hoosier Nation will be behind them the rest of the way. It's going to be a madhouse for those deserving young ladies. About time for them, for sure.

Reactions: kmathum and MIS01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT