ADVERTISEMENT

IU to the Louisville Regional and will face Illinois State...

The B1G got five teams in. In addition to us, Illinois, Nebraska, Michigan and O$U got in. O$U is heading to Nashville.

Illinois St. went 34-24 in the regular season and tied Dallas Baptist for the regular season MVC title. They have a higher RPI at 26th vs our 36th position. We will probably face jr. Brent Headrick, a big kid at 6'6 and 227 lbs with a record of 9-3. He is a lefty with a 3.50 era and teams are hitting .214 against him. In 90 IP, he has 101 Ks while walking 27.

Illinois St. went 34-24 in the regular season and tied Dallas Baptist for the regular season MVC title. They have a higher RPI at 26th vs our 36th position. We will probably face jr. Brent Headrick, a big kid at 6'6 and 227 lbs with a record of 9-3. He is a lefty with a 3.50 era and teams are hitting .214 against him. In 90 IP, he has 101 Ks while walking 27.
Well, that’s not overly promising, but it’s time to put up or shut up. At this point we all know how this offense works. Boom or bust. It’d be awfully nice to see some early long balls.

Reactions: ulrey
Dallas Baptist is in the MVC?? didn't realize that

I believe they joined the MVC when Creighton left for the Big East, but I'm not sure of that.
Think they're only in the Valley for baseball. Other than that, I think they're mostly D2.

Not sure it matters all that much unless we are planning on winning this regional. In that case, I like your thinking.
Only really matters in Game 1, where we get last raps vs. ILST. Then it matters less, depending on how we fare.

I think IU should seriously consider throwing Milto first, then Saalfrank against UL. Winning the first 2 games of a regional are pivotal, and I think Saalfrank’s stuff matches up well against UL. Great draw for IU fans, show up and get rowdy!

Reactions: RBB89 and brebelle3
Think they're only in the Valley for baseball. Other than that, I think they're mostly D2.

Out of curiosity I checked it out and you are correct. As you stated, they are a member of the MVC in baseball only with all other sports participating in the D-II Heartland Conference.

Reactions: SRIV94
I think IU should seriously consider throwing Milto first, then Saalfrank against UL. Winning the first 2 games of a regional are pivotal, and I think Saalfrank’s stuff matches up well against UL. Great draw for IU fans, show up and get rowdy!
I think you are on to something there. I would sure hate to see Saalfrank NOT see the mound during both the B1G and NCAA tournaments, which could happen if we stick with what was our weekend rotation.

REDEMPTION. Of course, I don't know that this team is wired like that.

I'd reverse and pitch Saalfrank first and Milto second.......I think winning the first game is critical, and Saalfrank gives us the best chance against a very good Illinois St. team.

Reactions: dr.jb

I'd reverse and pitch Saalfrank first and Milto second.......I think winning the first game is critical, and Saalfrank gives us the best chance against a very good Illinois St. team.
I could see that, the only thing is Paulys a ground ball pitcher with that sinker/changeup combo. That plays into UL’s offense as they really work the inside game. Saalfrank has put away stuff that could really hurt UL’s lefty hitters and the righties as well. Without giving too much scouting report away, the hottest starting pitcher for IU has been Saalfrank the last month.

This time of year is all about pushing the right buttons. I think Pauly has earned the right to be the #1 guy out the gate, and his experience speaks for itself. Regardless, all arms have to be on deck if IU loses the first or second game.

Reactions: mk23
I think our starting pitching depth could be an advantage, given how are number 3's have pitched this year, mainly Saalfrank and Sommer. However, going 2 and out like we did in the BT tourney, doesn't take advantage of that depth at all. We REALLY need to win that first game.

It'd be foolish to overlook anyone at this stage (B1G should have taught us that), but is Illinois St. really "very good"? They hit a bunch of doubles and the lineup doesn't seem to have a weak spot, but they were only 10-over playing a Missouri Valley schedule. Of course the RPI paints a different picture, but I'm not really buying it.

It'd be foolish to overlook anyone at this stage (B1G should have taught us that), but is Illinois St. really "very good"? They hit a bunch of doubles and the lineup doesn't seem to have a weak spot, but they were only 10-over playing a Missouri Valley schedule. Of course the RPI paints a different picture, but I'm not really buying it.
What concerns me is we will be going against their #1 and we know how we have faired against #1's this entire year. And he is a strike out pitcher, 101 K's in 90 innings.....going to be a lot of our guys fanning. ERA of 3.5 is solid, if not stellar but we have been shut down by guys with higher. (McDonald from Iowa comes to mind, and he has a 3.54.) Milto will not have much cushion, he needs to shut them out.

Reactions: mk23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT