ADVERTISEMENT

IU to play Robert Morris and Nebraska-Omaha next season

Kansas
Michigan St
Georgetown
Cal

Who did we play close to that?

Lol. IU played 4 teams with higher KenPom ratings than Georgetown and 7 teams with higher KenPom ratings than Cal all in the non-conference. What on Earth are you talking about? Goergetown was 15-17 and Cal 14-18 with a KenPom rating of 153. That's terrible. The teams IU played with a higher KenPom rating than Cal
-Florida State
-Arkansas
-UConn
-Notre Dame
-Louisiana Tech
-South Dakota State
-Princeton

Try again please.

Lol. IU played 4 teams with higher KenPom ratings than Georgetown and 7 teams with higher KenPom ratings than Cal all in the non-conference. What on Earth are you talking about? Goergetown was 15-17 and Cal 14-18 with a KenPom rating of 153. That's terrible. The teams IU played with a higher KenPom rating than Cal
-Florida State
-Arkansas
-UConn
-Notre Dame
-Louisiana Tech
-South Dakota State
-Princeton

Try again please.
It's a waste of time arguing with him, he doesn't do so in good faith. His response (if he even responds directly and doesn't deflect) will be something like, "Those games don't count because 3 of them are lower tier conferences and then the other 4 won't count just because IU played them so they must not be good. Georgetown and Cal are usually good so even though they had bad seasons they're still good non-con competition." Disregarding, of course, that Georgetown hasn't been consistently good for a long time and Cal hasn't been good since Cuonzo Martin left.

It's a waste of time arguing with him, he doesn't do so in good faith. His response (if he even responds directly and doesn't deflect) will be something like, "Those games don't count because 3 of them are lower tier conferences and then the other 4 won't count just because IU played them so they must not be good. Georgetown and Cal are usually good so even though they had bad seasons they're still good non-con competition." Disregarding, of course, that Georgetown hasn't been consistently good for a long time and Cal hasn't been good since Cuonzo Martin left.

To be fair, Cal wasn't even that good when Martin was there. He squandered a team with multiple 5* prospects losing in the first round as a 4. Cal hasn't been good in years. But of course dummy will find a why to spin how Cal is somehow good, "year in and year out".

Your point here is basically being ignored.... but is a valid question. It's basically inevitable some players will test positive for the virus in the coming fall/ winter.... what happens then?

All this talk about fans/ no fans is secondary... but I've yet to see a reasonable answer to the scenario you've layered out. It's a huge issue with football and rosters+coaches in excess of 100/pp team. But all team sports will face it.

Fauci has cast a lot of doubt on sports being played this year.... with the only way it works would be quarantining players, constant testing, contact tracing, e.t.c..... this is possibly doable for the pro leagues.... but is impossible for college sports.
What seems most likely is a late start with conference only games and a broad agreement among conference schools to evenly distribute revenue so that everyone can tread water financially. There’s no bullet proof option but players will already be practicing, going to class, living in dorms, etc., so the start of the season will likely come after most of them have been e posed to the virus. Very confident that if games are played games, stadiums will have spectators, and that at least some games will be played. Plenty of college arenas were full when the virus was circulating unabated in January and February and there’s been little reported in the way of outbreaks. I realize an Indy area high school game resulted in several infections that led to fatalities, but that appears to be very much an exception. Same goes for early spring training games in Florida and Arizona, as well as concerts and theme parks.

-Florida State
-Arkansas
-UConn
-Notre Dame
-Louisiana Tech
-South Dakota State
-Princeton

Try again please.

G-town record this year: 15-17
Cal record this year: 14-18

stop waisting my time.

= 5 to 8 teams????? o_O

Learn how to count, kiddo. There's quite a bit of math in basketball discussions.
Listen kids, Duke’s non conference sos was ranked 2nd and ours was almost 50th. Facts are facts.

Gramps.
FACT is you stated that UK, Duke, KU all played 5-8 P5 quality opponents every year. When called out AGAIN, you shamelessly move the goalposts like some sad POS who if they can't win by lying you pout and scream you were misunderstood. Total loser.
Nough said.

6 months really isn't much time at all when considering the scope and magnitude of what is going on globally.

Actually college football is in bigger trouble...and as a result, the athletics budget for most schools.
We’ll learn some things from football, but managing this might be doable in basketball considering the small number of players involved. I mean if we don’t have readily available tests by nov for ten or twelve guys we’ve got bigger problems than hoops. As for crowds in the stands, who knows.

We’ll learn some things from football, but managing this might be doable in basketball considering the small number of players involved. I mean if we don’t have readily available tests by nov for ten or twelve guys we’ve got bigger problems than hoops. As for crowds in the stands, who knows.

Testing won't be the problem. The problem is what do you do with an infected player... or more than likely an infected team? Basketball players are going to be super spreaders within their own team via 1 practice. So just cancel that one game? That team doesn't play for 2+ weeks?

Do that across even a small % of the 350 D1 teams.... schedules quickly fall apart.

As soon as you peel the first layer of this onion, you can see how quickly it becomes a problem.

I think the most likely outcome is that there are no team sports for the entire academic year. Hope I'm wrong.

Testing won't be the problem. The problem is what do you do with an infected player... or more than likely an infected team? Basketball players are going to be super spreaders within their own team via 1 practice. So just cancel that one game? That team doesn't play for 2+ weeks?

Do that across even a small % of the 350 D1 teams.... schedules quickly fall apart.

As soon as you peel the first layer of this onion, you can see how quickly it becomes a problem.
Yeah and you can’t quarantine them with the team. I mean they are students. They’ll go to class and lab and the union etc. do you then test them every day. Policing this doesn’t seem possible.

Yeah and you can’t quarantine them with the team. I mean they are students. They’ll go to class and lab and the union etc. do you then test them every day. Policing this doesn’t seem possible.

I've tried to figure this out for a while. I know what the pro leagues are thinking... particularly the NBA as I have had some talks with the medical people in the league. It's doable for the NBA as they can basically lock these guys away and keep a closed system with daily testing and no crowds. What the NBA is proposing is impossible for college kids.

I've tried to figure this out for a while. I know what the pro leagues are thinking... particularly the NBA as I have had some talks with the medical people in the league. It's doable for the NBA as they can basically lock these guys away and keep a closed system with daily testing. What the NBA is proposing is impossible for college kids.
Or they act irresponsibly and say f*ck it. These are young strong kids and we’re going to let them play. And we’re going to sanitize the hell out of everything, limit huddles, and high fives, and if a player tests positive we’ll take him out. He’s at no greater risk on a court than standing in the food court or in line at Kilroys. This begs the question what if multiple players then get infected. It’s all a mess but I think it will depend on how open we are in other areas. Are the students back without restrictions. Are bars open. Etc. if that stuff is open without much restriction they’ll find a way to play. Too much money at stake.

Or they act irresponsibly and say f*ck it. These are young strong kids and we’re going to let them play. And we’re going to sanitize the hell out of everything, limit huddles, and high fives, and if a player tests positive we’ll take him out. He’s at no greater risk on a court than standing in the food court or in line at Kilroys. This begs the question what if multiple players then get infected. It’s all a mess but I think it will depend on how open we are in other areas. Are the students back without restrictions. Are bars open. Etc. if that stuff is open without much restriction they’ll find a way to play. Too much money at stake.

Time will tell... but football has roughly a month of runway to make any changes, for logistical reasons.

It's going to be really difficult to pull the trigger on any wholesale changes in the next month.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Listen kids, Duke’s non conference sos was ranked 2nd and ours was almost 50th. Facts are facts.
That wasn't the claim you made. You said Elite teams play 5-8 "Top" teams in nonconf. And that has been proven wrong repeatedly. Those are the facts. Not the ever-shifting focus in your argument.
Again, you're wasting my time.

Reactions: Al Bino

I think the most likely outcome is that there are no team sports for the entire academic year. Hope I'm wrong.
thx yes you addressed my point quite well. Without a real vaccine, you're last scenario (no sports for 1 yr), while extreme and I hope like living hell does not play out, has to be considered a possibility at the very least. This virus would spread through the teams just like it spread through this country and the world.

Between now and July, the states will loosen some things up, but without a vaccine, contact football won't be one of them. There is no place for social distancing on the football field. No one believes we'll have a vaccine by July. So I don't see how they can pull it off yet.

YOU are the one that brought up that "Elite teams play 5-8 top games each non conference." And then in response to my question as which elite teams you said

"UK, Duke, Michigan St, Kansas, UNC to name a few."

But you refuse to list those "top" games for each of the five you listed. Now why is that?

I will go with option one that you talked out of your ass ONCE AGAIN and when called on it you went with your customary deflect and ignore.

Come on gramps, list the games or just admit you were wrong and QUIT LYING.

Reactions: Brockway
thx yes you addressed my point quite well. Without a real vaccine, you're last scenario (no sports for 1 yr), while extreme and I hope like living hell does not play out, has to be considered a possibility at the very least. This virus would spread through the teams just like it spread through this country and the world.

Between now and July, the states will loosen some things up, but without a vaccine, contact football won't be one of them. There is no place for social distancing on the football field. No one believes we'll have a vaccine by July. So I don't see how they can pull it off yet.
Sports will be a revenue issue for colleges, but welcoming 30,000 to 40,000 students back to campus is the far bigger issue. Dorms, dining halls, apartments, Greek housing, classrooms, buses, other common areas . . . that’s a far bigger issue for universities. Student athletes will be exposed well before the season starts, and schools will be dealing with a much larger issue than whether they can have games.

Sports will be a revenue issue for colleges, but welcoming 30,000 to 40,000 students back to campus is the far bigger issue. Dorms, dining halls, apartments, Greek housing, classrooms, buses, other common areas . . . that’s a far bigger issue for universities. Student athletes will be exposed well before the season starts, and schools will be dealing with a much larger issue than whether they can have games.
yep...our son is set to arrive in Bloomington early Aug. The dorms/dining/apartment and such- this issue has been regular conversation in our house. Not going to panic yet as we have some time- some, but not a lot- but a serious road uphill for all of us to say the least.

YOU are the one that brought up that "Elite teams play 5-8 top games each non conference." And then in response to my question as which elite teams you said

But you refuse to list those "top" games for each of the five you listed. Now why is that?

I will go with option one that you talked out of your ass ONCE AGAIN and when called on it you went with your customary deflect and ignore.

two words. Coach. Donavan.

yep...our son is set to arrive in Bloomington early Aug. The dorms/dining/apartment and such- this issue has been regular conversation in our house. Not going to panic yet as we have some time- some, but not a lot- but a serious road uphill for all of us to say the least.
My point was that universities that open their doors for tens of thousands of students to work, study, live and circulate on a relatively small footprint, for months at a time, are misguided if they’re focus is on six or seven Saturdays during the Fall. The issues with the former will be exponentially more challenging than with the latter.

My point was that universities that open their doors for tens of thousands of students to work, study, live and circulate on a relatively small footprint, for months at a time, are misguided if they’re focus is on six or seven Saturdays during the Fall. The issues with the former will be exponentially more challenging than with the latter.
oh I fully agree....we're a sports-focused forum, but the bigger picture is how the universities can get back in business...safely. Not just the athletic depts.

I just focused on NCAA football since that starts first...practices usually start before end of July...which I do not see happening under present conditions.

It’s not a one year issue kid. You mentioned Duke. The year before last they played UK, Auburn, Texas Tech, IU, Gonzaga, San Diego St, and other respectable programs.

Top programs play top schedules, period. They don’t play schedules ranked 49th.

It’s not a one year issue kid. You mentioned Duke. The year before last they played UK, Auburn, Texas Tech, IU, Gonzaga, San Diego St, and other respectable programs.

oWUuoMf.gif

So what you're saying is that even to get the 2nd ranked non-conference SOS you don't need to play 5-8 top teams. Got it, good point. You're showing you're wrong on how many "top teams" everyone, especially the elite, play in the non-conference since Duke didn't play that many and still had the 2nd ranked non-conference SOS.

Must have pained him to include Indiana as a good team that year.
not only pained him...but that was an IU team that was only NIT worthy and a game played at Cameron Indoor. So it's technically not accurate. We were not a "Top" team. And he's never referred to the 2018-2019 Hoosiers as a 'top' team. Until now. For the sake of his flawed argument.

This is becoming laughable.
Please stop wasting our time.

Signed,
Coach Donavan

WTF, I didn't mention Duke or anyone else. I quoted YOU! FYI, that is what those "" marks are for, to designate what someone says. Good grief. Are you brain dead?

I will quote you again.

"Elite teams play 5-8 top games each non conference."

and you also stated that elite teams are:

So list the top games that each one of the above played last year. Simple since I am sure you know.

Come on gramps, it isn't that hard to list the games IF they all played 5-8 top games.

WTF, I didn't mention Duke or anyone else. I quoted YOU! FYI, that is what those "" marks are for, to designate what someone says. Good grief. Are you brain dead?

I will quote you again.

"Elite teams play 5-8 top games each non conference."

and you also stated that elite teams are:

So list the top games that each one of the above played last year. Simple since I am sure you know.

Come on gramps, it isn't that hard to list the games IF they all played 5-8 top games.
And I’ve listed 10+ that Duke played in the last 2 years. Catch up.

And I’ve listed 10+ that Duke played in the last 2 years. Catch up.

You are a hoot. What about UK, UNC, Kansas, MSU.

You make a statement and then you NEVER back it up.

Deflect and Iie. Standard practice for you gramps.

Reactions: Brockway
No thanks. It’s like saying prove to me that the Earth is not flat.

What a load of BS. You lying deflecting dick.

Doing minimal research on four teams YOU held up as elite is too much for you??

I am sure you probably DO think the earth is flat. Here you go, 5 seconds with a Google search.

cool-space-picture-5-thumb-615x442-47713.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT