ADVERTISEMENT

IU to play Robert Morris and Nebraska-Omaha next season

Michigan State played UK, Duke, Seton Hall, UCLA, and Virginia Tech to name a few before conference play last year. I could do the same for Duke, Kansas, UK, on and on. How did you get so confused?

Not confused at all. You have STILL not backed up your argument. You gave ONE example. Do the same for Duke, Kansas, UK, on and on.

You suck at debate. Short on facts and long on BS gramps.

Michigan State played UK, Duke, Seton Hall, UCLA, and Virginia Tech to name a few before conference play last year. I could do the same for Duke, Kansas, UK, on and on. How did you get so confused?

16-16 Virginia Tech=Big game? They were the 105th rated team in KenPom last year. So by that acknowledgment IU also qualifies as playing 5 good non-conference teams last year?
-Florida State
-Notre Dame
-UConn
-Arkansas
-Louisiana Tech

all had significantly higher KenPom ratings than Virginia Tech. Still waiting on you to list the other programs who play “5 to 8 great teams every year”.

16-16 Virginia Tech=Big game? They were the 105th rated team in KenPom last year. So by that acknowledgment IU also qualifies as playing 5 good non-conference teams last year?
-Florida State
-Notre Dame
-UConn
-Arkansas
-Louisiana Tech

all had significantly higher KenPom ratings than Virginia Tech. Still waiting on you to list the other programs who play “5 to 8 great teams every year”.

The only person who understands better that feepaw is totally full of shit is feepaw. ;)

Duke played Kansas and MSU out of conference. The rest of their schedule consisted of "cupcakes." Kansas played Duke and Villanova - and also Dayton, which you would have called a cupcake before the season started. The rest of their schedule consisted of "cupcakes." Your own link shows that you're wrong. You're too much of a dunce to know it.
Dayton is never a cupcake. They also played Stanford, Colorado, and BYU. I’d love to see our non conference stacked up against that.

Serious question - is there anything IU can improve upon to you? Or is this just the pinnacle of your wildest expectations and there’s not a single thing we’re not perfect at?

-Florida State
-Notre Dame
-UConn
-Arkansas
-Louisiana Tech

VT is a good program. Year in and year out. That’s all you can control. I’m tired of teaching you the basics if you’re not willing to learn.

Not confused at all. You have STILL not backed up your argument. You gave ONE example. Do the same for Duke, Kansas, UK, on and on.

You suck at debate. Short on facts and long on BS gramps.
Look kid, I gave you the link that shows our non conf SOS was 49th. Right behind Temple, Utah State, and Davidson.

Meanwhile UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Villanova, etc at up near the top where they’re always at.

VT is a good program. Year in and year out. That’s all you can control. I’m tired of teaching you the basics if you’re not willing to learn.

Year in and year out?? They’ve made the tournament 6 times in the last 40 years. We must have entirely different definitions as to what constitutes a good program.

Reactions: minneman
Year in and year out?? They’ve made the tournament 6 times in the last 40 years. We must have entirely different definitions as to what constitutes a good program.
Well they’ve made the tournament 3 straight years including the Sweet 16 last year. I don’t think they played the 1992 team.

Well they’ve made the tournament 3 straight years including the Sweet 16 last year. I don’t think they played the 1992 team.

So 3 years constitutes a “good program” year in and year out? Not to mention Virginia Tech lost not only it’s head coach but 7 of their top 8 players from the year prior? Good God you’re a mess.

So 3 years constitutes a “good program” year in and year out? Not to mention Virginia Tech lost not only it’s head coach but 7 of their top 8 players from the year prior? Good God you’re a mess.
Yes they were a good program since Buzz arrived. It’s absurd to argue differently.

Yes they were a good program since Buzz arrived. It’s absurd to argue differently.

Did I miss the part where Buzz Williams coached Virginia Tech this past season? The fact that you’re using a team that finished 16-16 and near the bottom of an historically bad ACC to try and justify an embarrassingly bad narrative is low, even for your standards.

Take a lap.

Reactions: minneman
Look kid, I gave you the link that shows our non conf SOS was 49th. Right behind Temple, Utah State, and Davidson.

Meanwhile UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Villanova, etc at up near the top where they’re always at.

Once AGAIN, I said NOTHING about IU.

Are you REALLY that stupid?

UK, Duke, Michigan St, Kansas, UNC to name a few. Catch up.
Duke? So you are just going to flat-out ignore my response that completely debunks your claim.
There is something seriously wrong with you. Birnk is a pain in the ass, but from what I've seen, at least he doesn't float lies, then ignores the facts when he's caught in a lie.

Duke played 2 good teams during non-conf this past year and they were both made for tv games.

VT finished 16-16 for the year. As for Duke, YES...pls do the same. We are all waiting and have been since last Thursday. Duke's nonconf schedule is weighted because they played made for tv games with MSU and KU who are 1 and 3 on you list. The rest of it was soft, and that's putting it kindly.

Coach Donavan.

Duke? So you are just going to flat-out ignore my response that completely debunks your claim.
There is something seriously wrong with you. Birnk is a pain in the ass, but from what I've seen, at least he doesn't float lies, then ignores the facts when he's caught in a lie.

Duke played 2 good teams during non-conf this past year and they were both made for tv games.
No, I don’t lie, nor do I run from factual errors that I make here. Never have. The same can’t be said for more than a few here.

What I also don’t do is engage in glorified pep rallies, and that fact drives the cheerleaders here crazy. They hate it if anyone offers a view different than their own, and we’ve seen how they’ll stalk and harass when someone doesn’t fall in line. They’re entitled to their lowered expectations and they're welcome to defend them, but I’ve never understood why they’re so critical of others who want more. It’s as if they believe that a contrary view somehow demeans their fandom, and they come unglued if they believe they aren’t regarded as the greatest IU fan in history. It’s strange to watch, and they’ll do almost anything to justify their conduct. All on an internet sports forum.

No, I don’t lie, nor do I run from factual errors that I make here. Never have. The same can’t be said for more than a few here.

What I also don’t do is engage in glorified pep rallies, and that fact drives the cheerleaders here crazy. They hate it if anyone offers a view different than their own, and we’ve seen how they’ll stalk and harass when someone doesn’t fall in line. They’re entitled to their lowered expectations and they're welcome to defend them, but I’ve never understood why they’re so critical of others who want more. It’s as if they believe that a contrary view somehow demeans their fandom, and they come unglued if they believe they aren’t regarded as the greatest IU fan in history. It’s strange to watch, and they’ll do almost anything to justify their conduct. All on an internet sports forum.
yes will give you credit for that. I'm not a fanboy. I've just seen what's happened to the program after it's blown up with a coaching change, the coaching choices, and the lack of regained stability after the changes. I am on record- if we have a strong season next year, I'm sticking with CAM for the foreseeable future. But if we're still having NCAA/NIT bubble anxiety in late February and struggling to keep at .500 in the conf, then I'm on board that a change is needed....again.

side thought on next season...I'm really struggling right now to see how we have a season without a vaccine. For us who have played, you cannot play wearing a mask and gloves. So the players will have to be tested constantly. And...if/when one of the players turns up positive, because they have been participating in practice, does the entire team quarantine for 14 days? Does the team have to forfeit all games over the next 2 weeks? And what if we played another team 2 days before, and one of their players tests positive? Pretty easy to see how this can cause a domino effect and shut down the entire season before it begins or in the middle of the season. And I'm not even addressing the crowd concerns. Hopefully a lot of good news transpires over the next 4-6 months because I'm really concerned that next school year and next season is already in serious jeopardy and what we are debating will become moot.

side thought on next season...I'm really struggling right now to see how we have a season without a vaccine. For us who have played, you cannot play wearing a mask and gloves. So the players will have to be tested constantly. And...if/when one of the players turns up positive, because they have been participating in practice, does the entire team quarantine for 14 days? Does the team have to forfeit all games over the next 2 weeks? And what if we played another team 2 days before, and one of their players tests positive? Pretty easy to see how this can cause a domino effect and shut down the entire season before it begins or in the middle of the season. And I'm not even addressing the crowd concerns. Hopefully a lot of good news transpires over the next 4-6 months because I'm really concerned that next school year and next season is already in serious jeopardy and what we are debating will become moot.

Way too early to even begin thinking about that. Basketball doesn't start for another 6 months.

6 months really isn't much time at all when considering the scope and magnitude of what is going on globally.

Actually college football is in bigger trouble...and as a result, the athletics budget for most schools.

We're moving in the right direction of collegiate athletics being played even if it's in limited capacity. The majority of states have eased restrictions on statewide lockdowns starting today. More and more universities have come out with contingency plans for allowing students on campus in the fall. A lot of things need to happen beforehand, but again, we're still 6 months out from basketball.

It's very likely in the event athletic competitions are held it will be without spectators, but there is still a world in which events are held. It's entirely too early to tell though.

yes will give you credit for that. I'm not a fanboy. I've just seen what's happened to the program after it's blown up with a coaching change, the coaching choices, and the lack of regained stability after the changes. I am on record- if we have a strong season next year, I'm sticking with CAM for the foreseeable future. But if we're still having NCAA/NIT bubble anxiety in late February and struggling to keep at .500 in the conf, then I'm on board that a change is needed....again.
I’ve never once called for a coaching change. In fact, I’ve been clear that I think Miller will get at least five years, regardless of his record in year 4.

I’ve never once called for a coaching change. In fact, I’ve been clear that I think Miller will get at least five years, regardless of his record in year 4.
sorry not pointing figures. Just wanted to get my stance on record now. You are probably right re 5 yrs. But yr 4 needs to show measurable improvement or it will be used against CAM in the recruiting war, which will likely begin the death spiral. Same thing happened to Davis and Crean. Once the others smell blood in the water, it's difficult to recover.

We're moving in the right direction of collegiate athletics being played even if it's in limited capacity. The majority of states have eased restrictions on statewide lockdowns starting today. More and more universities have come out with contingency plans for allowing students on campus in the fall. A lot of things need to happen beforehand, but again, we're still 6 months out from basketball.

It's very likely in the event athletic competitions are held it will be without spectators, but there is still a world in which events are held. It's entirely too early to tell though.
if college football is played without spectators, then a lot of other college sports won't be played at all. The financial hit to the program will be devastating. I'm just ball parking some numbers but if U of Mich plays to an empty stadium, the lost revenues to their athletic program could be $50M-$100M at least. And I'm probably far below the real number.

if college football is played without spectators, then a lot of other college sports won't be played at all. The financial hit to the program will be devastating. I'm just ball parking some numbers but if U of Mich plays to an empty stadium, the lost revenues to their athletic program could be $50M-$100M at least. And I'm probably far below the real number.
If CFB is played, there will be spectators. Not sure how many or to what lengths schools go in terms of screening, but there won’t be “fanless” games.

Reactions: Cavanagh

An awful lot of TV revenue being thrown away then.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
If CFB is played, there will be spectators. Not sure how many or to what lengths schools go in terms of screening, but there won’t be “fanless” games.
I'm trying to picture OSU playing in the big house vs UM, with fans spread 6 feet apart, wearing masks and being told not to shout or scream. Like a bad dystopian movie.

CFB does not work without fans.

I'm trying to picture OSU playing in the big house vs UM, with fans spread 6 feet apart, wearing masks and being told not to shout or scream. Like a bad dystopian movie.

I don’t think you’ll see a six foot rule imposed, either. There aren’t resources to “police” that any more than there are to go though parking lots and keep groups from tailgating. Universities can close off lots and limit ticket distribution but, if games are held, there will be people in the stands. Would think students may lead the way, given their lower degree of susceptibility, and that some fans will sit the season out in an abundance of caution.

It does if you're about to miss out on a $50 million dollar check from Fox and BTN.

It does if you're about to miss out on a $50 million dollar check from Fox and BTN.
don't get me wrong, I agree in principle...we are talking about vast sums of money, that are needed at our favorite colleges. Plus the financial impact home games have on the local community. And the futures of all these players/students. Hopefully by July we have a better answer, because right now we don't.

Our oldest was set to check in to Kelley / Btown for fall semester. Right now, we don't know how it's going to play out. Lots of questions still waiting for answers.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
VT finished 16-16 for the year. As for Duke, YES...pls do the same. We are all waiting and have been since last Thursday. Duke's nonconf schedule is weighted because they played made for tv games with MSU and KU who are 1 and 3 on you list. The rest of it was soft, and that's putting it kindly.

Coach Donavan.
Kansas
Michigan St
Georgetown
Cal

Who did we play close to that?

Your point here is basically being ignored.... but is a valid question. It's basically inevitable some players will test positive for the virus in the coming fall/ winter.... what happens then?

All this talk about fans/ no fans is secondary... but I've yet to see a reasonable answer to the scenario you've layered out. It's a huge issue with football and rosters+coaches in excess of 100/pp team. But all team sports will face it.

Fauci has cast a lot of doubt on sports being played this year.... with the only way it works would be quarantining players, constant testing, contact tracing, e.t.c..... this is possibly doable for the pro leagues.... but is impossible for college sports.

Last edited:
6 months really isn't much time at all when considering the scope and magnitude of what is going on globally.

Actually college football is in bigger trouble...and as a result, the athletics budget for most schools.
I give college football a 3% chance of happening.

ADVERTISEMENT