ADVERTISEMENT

IU to play Robert Morris and Nebraska-Omaha next season

According to Inside The Hall, IU is set to play the following non-conference home games next season:

- Tuesday, December 22nd vs. Robert Morris
- Tuesday, December 29th vs. Nebraska-Omaha

Link: https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/...a-as-part-of-2020-21-non-conference-schedule/
hard to analyze without seeing the entire nonconference schedule. Do we still have 5-6 solid games vs historical programs or top 25 type teams, then these aren't a concern. If these are replacing those, then that's bad.

We should only play power 5 schools. The fact that every power 5 doesn't do this is just retarded in so many different ways. More money for everyone involved, builds the brand of college basketball, etc etc.

All you have to do is make someone God of college basketball and piss on the NCAA and then when it drys burn it down.

If you just made a schedule like the NFL does for the power 5, college basketball would be awesome over night. 1st place in the Big ten plays 1st place in Pac12, SEC, ACC etc. equal home and away games. Throw in 1 or 2 tourneys per team per year.

Make it awesome.... No1, and I mean ****ing no1 wants to see this God awful BS over Xmas break.

We should only play power 5 schools. The fact that every power 5 doesn't do this is just retarded in so many different ways. More money for everyone involved, builds the brand of college basketball, etc etc.

All you have to do is make someone God of college basketball and piss on the NCAA and then when it drys burn it down.

If you just made a schedule like the NFL does for the power 5, college basketball would be awesome over night. 1st place in the Big ten plays 1st place in Pac12, SEC, ACC etc. equal home and away games. Throw in 1 or 2 tourneys per team per year.

Make it awesome.... No1, and I mean ****ing no1 wants to see this God awful BS over Xmas break.

Not practical. IU stands to make more money playing 7 or 8 home games even if they are against low major schools as opposed to playing 3-4 home games vs P5 schools and then having to play 3-4 on the road. Every P5 school is in that predicament. As someone such as yourself who sells tickets, isn't this something you would understand?

hard to analyze without seeing the entire nonconference schedule. Do we still have 5-6 solid games vs historical programs or top 25 type teams, then these aren't a concern. If these are replacing those, then that's bad.

-Assuming Maui happens, you have 3 neutral games; Carolina will be preseason ranked, Texas will be preseason ranked with the 5* that just committed, and Alabama should a solid metric opponent. Good chance IU will play at least one but the more the better. Stanford (should also be solid), Providence, Davidson, and UNLV round out the field.

-ACC/B10 challenge. This is likely a road game that will be a Q1 game.

-Possible Gavitt Game against the Big East (didn't play last year)

-Neutral game with Butler in the Crossroads

Depending on the Maui draw and our ACC opponent and potential Gavitt opponent, could end up being a very challenging non-conference schedule.

Not practical. IU stands to make more money playing 7 or 8 home games even if they are against low major schools as opposed to playing 3-4 home games vs P5 schools and then having to play 3-4 on the road. Every P5 school is in that predicament. As someone such as yourself who sells tickets, isn't this something you would understand?

i would make a shit ton more money if they played 5 less home games but they were all power 5. So would the schools in getting a much bigger tv contract, which will far exceed ticket sales for the shitty non conference games.

further, most schools are not IU and don’t sell out for all these shit fests. They would get far more ticket sales for bigger games. It may not match 3 or 4 extra games of revenue, but like I mentioned, the tv contracts would 100% make up for that revenue.

any other questions? I’m here to help my man.

Reactions: cryano
i would make a shit ton more money if they played 5 less home games but they were all power 5. So would the schools in getting a much bigger tv contract, which will far exceed ticket sales for the shitty non conference games.

further most schools are not IU and don’t sell out for all these shit fests. They would get far more ticket sales for bigger games. It may not match 3 or 4 extra games of revenue, but like I mentioned, the tv contracts would 100% make up for that revenue.

any other questions? I’m here to help my man.

Ha.

If it's that simple, why isn't this already implemented widespread? There's a reason why you don't see P5 teams playing 3 or 4 true road games in the non-conference. $$$. They're losing out on home game revenue.

Reactions: Spartans9312
If it's that simple, why isn't this already implemented widespread? There's a reason why you don't see P5 teams playing 3 or 4 true road games in the non-conference. $$$. They're losing out on home game revenue.[/QUOTE]

Because the NCAA is retarded. Do you know anything about tv contracts over the last 10 years? Do you know how much the BTN has generated? Do you know what the deals have looked like for the schools in the big ten in terms of % of increase in revenue? You don’t so I’ll tell you :)

in 2013 schools in the big ten got 25 mil. Less than 5 years later that number was more than doubled, over 50 mil in 2018. Largely do to huge rights deals with ESPN and Fox.

Now, how many dec 29th IU Vs north hillbilly state gets aired on those channels? In a time where tv deals are just going insane do you think even more could get payed out if they added IU vs AZ, ucla vs msu and Oregon vs. OSU played on that date instead?

I lose money on those games, the only reason you buy them is because of others games on the schedule, meaning having to buy all mini series tickets or season tickets. Taking them off the schedule helps me, even if they are just eliminated completely. This is referring to your first post, but was wrong too, so felt I needed to correct you.
Doing a lot of that this morning!

If it's that simple, why isn't this already implemented widespread? There's a reason why you don't see P5 teams playing 3 or 4 true road games in the non-conference. $$$. They're losing out on home game revenue.

Because the NCAA is retarded. Do you know anything about tv contracts over the last 10 years? Do you know how much the BTN has generated? Do you know what the deals have looked like for the schools in the big ten in terms of % of increase in revenue? You don’t so I’ll tell you :)

in 2013 schools in the big ten got 25 mil. Less than 5 years later that number was more than doubled, over 50 mil in 2018. Largely do to huge rights deals with ESPN and Fox.

Now, how many dec 29th IU Vs north hillbilly state gets aired on those channels? In a time where tv deals are just going insane do you think even more could get payed out if they added IU vs AZ, ucla vs msu and Oregon vs. OSU played on that date instead?

I lose money on those games, the only reason you buy them is because of others games on the schedule, meaning having to buy all mini series tickets or season tickets. Taking them off the schedule helps me, even if they are just eliminated completely. This is referring to your first post, but was wrong too, so felt I needed to correct you.
Doing a lot of that this morning![/QUOTE]

You're clueless per usual.

The only TV contract the NCAA has any say in is the NCAA Tournament. Each individual conference negotiates their own TV contracts. The Big Ten would lose negotiating power in their contract deals if their member teams played less games on their air waves. A Big Ten team playing 3 or 4 away games against conferences from the ACC, SEC, Pac 12 (ESPN) is 3 or 4 lost games that they could air on BTN or Fox.

Last edited:
You're clueless per usual.

The only TV contract the NCAA has any say in is the NCAA Tournament. Each individual conference negotiates their own TV contracts. The Big Ten would lose negotiating power in their contract deals if their member teams played less games on their air waves. A Big Ten team playing 3 or 4 away games against conferences from the ACC, SEC, Pac 12 (ESPN) is 3 or 4 lost games that they could air on BTN or Fox.

BTN is owned by Fox you moron.

BTN is owned by Fox you moron.

You think??? Fox or BTN isn't seeing a dime if IU is playing on the road 3 or 4 times in the non-conference against schools that have contract deals with ESPN. BTN and subsequently FOX stands to make more money airing IU playing 8 or 9 times even if it's against shitty schools, rather than only 3 or 4 times even if it's against better competition. You seriously think a collection of 80 or 90 ADs along with billion dollar corporations such as FOX, Disney, etc haven't thought this through? Are these people dumb because they don't see the vision of an anonymous poster on an IU message board? Jesus Christ don't let your arrogance get in the way of your confidence.

You think??? Fox or BTN isn't seeing a dime if IU is playing on the road 3 or 4 times in the non-conference against schools that have contract deals with ESPN. BTN and subsequently FOX stands to make more money airing IU playing 8 or 9 times even if it's against shitty schools, rather than only 3 or 4 times even if it's against better competition. You seriously think a collection of 80 or 90 ADs along with billion dollar corporations such as FOX, Disney, etc haven't thought this through? Are these people dumb because they don't see the vision of an anonymous poster on an IU message board? Jesus Christ don't let your arrogance get in the way of your confidence.

All major conference deals would be redone. All would go up. Whether Disney pays more or Fox, in total, the numbers will be more for all 5 conferences. Some games will be on Big daddy Fox, some will be on BTN, and some might even be on ESPN the ocho, but the ratings will all be higher for all games across the board generating more money for the overall deal. Sorry if you disagree, but you are wrong. Im only arrogant when I am right. You started it by questioning my knowledge on selling tickets. You were wrong.

All major conference deals would be redone. All would go up. Whether Disney pays more or Fox, in total, the numbers will be more for all 5 conferences. Some games will be on Big daddy Fox, some will be on BTN, and some might even be on ESPN the ocho, but the ratings will all be higher for all games across the board generating more money for the overall deal. Sorry if you disagree, but you are wrong. Im only arrogant when I am right. You started it by questioning my knowledge on selling tickets. You were wrong.

And again I ask you, if this was such a surefire way to generate more revenue, why hasn't this been implemented widespread? Are you telling me you're smarter than the folks at Fox, Disney, etc? The 80 or 90 AD's and conference commissioners negotiating TV deals?

And again I ask you, if this was such a surefire way to generate more revenue, why hasn't this been implemented widespread? Are you telling me you're smarter than the folks at Fox, Disney, etc? The 80 or 90 AD's and conference commissioners negotiating TV deals?

For one it would cripple the schools not in the power 5, and the NCAA tourney would prob have to be revamped soon there after. I am for sure smarter than some of those folks, probably not the majority of them, but there are some real moron ADs. They have a much higher work ethic than me tho. I could not sit in an office and pretend to listen to idiots for hours upon hours daily.

There's the sophomaniac we all know and love.

Hey, I always know I won the convo when people totally escape the topic and try to take shots at me. Glad I could help prove you wrong on your theory of Big ten schools making less money if they switched to an all power 5 schedule. You know, the point you originally argued, and I proved you wrong. Enjoy your day, Im out!

Hey, I always know I won the convo when people totally escape the topic and try to take shots at me. Glad I could help prove you wrong on your theory of Big ten schools making less money if they switched to an all power 5 schedule. You know, the point you originally argued, and I proved you wrong. Enjoy your day, Im out!

You didn't prove anything? Tough envisioning a scenario where P5 conferences and multi-billion dollar TV corporations are voluntarily losing out on money because they aren't listening to a know-nothing anonymous poster on a college basketball message board. But hope you sleep better.

So far, IU's 2020-21 schedule sets up as follows:

Nov. 9 - 13: Gavitt Games (Big East opponent) ... IU was out of the rotation for this last season, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Hoosiers included in the field this season.

Nov. 23 - 25: Maui Invitational (North Carolina, Texas, Stanford, Alabama, Providence, UNLV, Davidson) ... three guaranteed games against likely quad-one opponents.

Nov. 30 - Dec. 2: ACC - Big Ten Challenge (expected road game) ... IU hosted Florida State last season, so a road contest is to be expected.

Dec. 5 - 12: First two Big Ten Conference games ... this is traditionally a home/road split.

Dec. 19: Crossroads Classic vs. Butler ... IU defeated Butler, 71-68, in this event two years ago on a last-second three-point shot from Rob Phinisee.

Dec. 22 vs. Robert Morris

Dec. 29 vs. Nebraska-Omaha

This leaves IU with a total of 8 non-conference games thus far. Each of the last two seasons, the Hoosiers have played 11 non-conference games. Expect to see three more games against quad-three/four opponents announced over the next few months.

Dumbest idea ever!!! If P5 teams only played P5 teams, no one would be able to play Gonzaga, Butler, Nova, Marquette, Xavier, St Marys, Seton Hall, Creighton, Murray State, Dayton, San Diego State, Houston, Providence, Memphis and many others. I mean you could make the case that the Big East over the last 5-6 years has been one of the top 2-3 conferences in America, yet are not considered a P5 conference so why leave them out

For some reason I do not see how it would be good for CBB to tell teams they can not play these guys.

It’s hard to believe our non conference keeps getting easier and easier. Makes some of Crean’s schedules look like UK or Duke.

Duke 2019 non-confs included: Central Arkansas, Georgia State, Steven F Austin, Winthrop, Wofford, Brown (no road games)

Kentucky: Eastern KY, Evansville ( home loss), Utah Valley, Lamar, UAB, F.Dickenson (all home games)

Kansas: UNC Greensboro, Monmouth, East TN State, Chaminade (Maui Tourney), Milwaukee, Mizzou-Kansas City (only road game was Chaminade as the tourney host team).

I won't even list Gonzaga's schedule. Couple good wins spread within a season full of cupcakes.

Yes IU's preconf schedule has been weak. But don't be fooled to think we're the only program trying to pad the win column in Nov/Dec.

It’s hard to believe our non conference keeps getting easier and easier. Makes some of Crean’s schedules look like UK or Duke.

Setting up to be one of the harder non-conference schedules in the country next year depending on who we draw in the ACC/B10 challenge and Gavitt games.

If I had to guess IU plays either Virginia or Florida State on the road and hosts either Villanova or Seton Hall in the Gavitt games. Pair that with 3 neutral games in Maui on top of a neutral game with Butler, you’re looking a top 25, if not top 10 hardest non-conference schedule in the country.

Reactions: Hoosierwfb
Setting up to be one of the harder non-conference schedules in the country next year depending on who we draw in the ACC/B10 challenge and Gavitt games.

If I had to guess IU plays either Virginia or Florida State on the road and hosts either Villanova or Seton Hall in the Gavitt games. Pair that with 3 neutral games in Maui on top of a neutral game with Butler, you’re looking a top 25, if not top 10 hardest non-conference schedule in the country.
You need to get outside the IU bubble. Elite teams play 5-8 top games each non conference.

You need to get outside the IU bubble. Elite teams play 5-8 top games each non conference.

Kansas had the #1 rated non-conference schedule last year and played:
-Monmouth
-ETSU
-Chaminade
-UNC-Greensboro
-UMKC
-Wisconsin-Milwaukee

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/non-conference-sos-by-other

IU is playing in a non-conference tournament that stands to have at least 3 Q1 opponents on neutral floor (Net 1-50):
-North Carolina
-Texas
-Stanford

and 2 potential Q1 opponents in Providence and Alabama. UNLV and Davidson are likely Q2 opponents (Net 51-100)

IU is likely to play on the road in the ACC/B10 challenge and every ACC team minus Wake Forest will qualify as a Q1 opponent (Net 1-75).

Depending on who IU draws in the Gavitt games, you're looking at possibly a Q1 or worst case Q2 opponent depending on venue

IU also has a neutral game against Butler which worst case would qualify as a Q2 opponent.

Very real chance IU plays 6-7 Q1/Q2 out of 11 non-conference opponents. That's a top 25 non-conference schedule anyway you slice it.

Your statement that elite teams play 5-8 top games is flat preposterous.

Duke played 3 Q1/Q2 opponents in their non-conference schedule last year.

Michigan State played 5 Q1/Q2 opponents last year, two being Virginia Tech and Georgia.

Louisville played 4 Q1/Q2 opponents last year, one being Akron.

Villanova played 4 Q1/Q2 opponents last year.

Ohio State played 4 Q1/Q2 opponents last year.

Kentucky played 4 Q1/Q2 opponents last year.

You severely misspoke on this one...again, although typical and expected.

I would assume you consider Duke the gold standard for "elite" teams. So here is their 2019-20 season non-conf schedule. I see 2 top teams (KU, MSU), not 5-8 as you claim. And a bunch of cupcake parties at Cameron Indoor.

11/5/2019 vs. Kansas New York, N.Y.
11/8/2019 Colorado State Cameron Indoor Stadium
11/12/2019 Central Arkansas Cameron Indoor Stadium
11/15/2019 Georgia State Cameron Indoor Stadium
11/21/2019 vs. California New York, N.Y.
11/22/2019 vs. Georgetown New York, N.Y.
11/26/2019 Stephen F. Austin Cameron Indoor Stadium
11/29/2019 Winthrop Cameron Indoor Stadium
12/3/2019 at Michigan State Breslin Center, East Lansing, MI
12/6/2019 * at Virginia Tech Blacksburg, VA
12/19/2019 Wofford Cameron Indoor Stadium
12/28/2019 Brown Cameron Indoor Stadium

Last edited:
Maui - 3 games (all neutral court)
ACC/B1G - 1 game (this will likely be on the road)
Crossroads - 1 game (neutral court)

Since you're bad at math, I'll do it for you. That is 5 (3+1+1=5) games that aren't at home and aren't against cupcakes.

Another possible game against a good opponent- Gavitt Games. If they play in this series that will bring the number of games against non-cupcake competition to 6 (5+1=6) games.

5 or 6 games falls within your given range of 5-8 (5=5 and 6>5 but 6<8).

You're anything but the objective observer and distributor of reality that claim to be. In fact, you're the opposite. Instead of sunshine you spew storm clouds of negativity and are just as unrealistic, possibly more so, than the sunshine pumpers. I'm getting more and more certain that you're not actually an IU fan but just a troll.

Yeah, only P5 schools... screw the Butlers, Creightons, Zags and Flyers of the world. Everyone hated watching UE beat Kentucky last winter and Wofford beating UNC.

While we are at it, kick them out of March Madness too. We can just call it the NCAA Basketball Championship Series, because nobody wants to see Kent State run to the E8 or UMBC knock off UVA.

That was straight out of your bung hole once again - and you were caught at it once again.
amazing what 5 min of research can do. Waiting for him to claim that Cal, VT and G-town were all 'top' opponents. VT finished .500 for the season and Cal/G-Town with losing records.

And those home games in Cameron...Wofford, Brown, Steve Austin and Winthrop. Freaken murderer's row!!

Suddenly Robert Morris and Neb-Ohama don't sound so bad do they?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Feepaw in this thread...

z4gjlihcqbb21.jpg

Come on, redeem yourself. You have already been embarrassed by other posters so go ahead and list the elite teams that play 5-8 top games.

Come on, redeem yourself. You have already been embarrassed by other posters so go ahead and list the elite teams that play 5-8 top games.
What can he say? Duke is at the top of the mountain, and they played 2 made for TV games, one being neutral site and the other the revolving home/away system in the B1G/ACC challenge. The rest of the preconf schedule ranges from mild to lame. Probably only played 2 teams that would have made the NCAA tourney. (I say 'probably' because who would have got in/not got in is a debate I'm sick of having).

Even with IU's lame ass preconf schedule this past season, because of the B1G's strength our final SoS was 16- ahead of Duke, UNC and Kentucky (teams I'm assuming he refers to as "elite", and the rest of the world refers to as "bluebloods"). Per teamrankings.com, 11 B1G teams had SoS final rankings in the top 20. That shows you how crazy strong the conference was last year.

What we are doing is no different than Duke or many other of the so-called "elite" programs.

Last edited:
UK, Duke, Michigan St, Kansas, UNC to name a few. Catch up.

First, I said NOTHING about IU's schedule.

Second, look above at the facts CBH and CG posted.

Third, list the 5-8 games that "UK, Duke, Michigan St, Kansas, UNC" play non-conference.

But you will probably just keep on deflecting and lying. That is who you are gramps.
Michigan State played UK, Duke, Seton Hall, UCLA, and Virginia Tech to name a few before conference play last year. I could do the same for Duke, Kansas, UK, on and on. How did you get so confused?

Michigan State played UK, Duke, Seton Hall, UCLA, and Virginia Tech to name a few before conference play last year. I could do the same for Duke, Kansas, UK, on and on. How did you get so confused?
Duke played Kansas and MSU out of conference. The rest of their schedule consisted of "cupcakes." Kansas played Duke and Villanova - and also Dayton, which you would have called a cupcake before the season started. The rest of their schedule consisted of "cupcakes." Your own link shows that you're wrong. You're too much of a dunce to know it.

ADVERTISEMENT