ADVERTISEMENT

IU to officially open for Fall

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
Fall will start normally, but after Thanksgiving it will be virtual. Spring will start virtual with everyone back for classes Feb 8. No spring break, classes to end in May. All dorm rooms will be singles.

Fall will start normally, but after Thanksgiving it will be virtual. Spring will start virtual with everyone back for classes Feb 8. No spring break, classes to end in May. All dorm rooms will be singles.

That's really interesting. Did they give reasons for the virtual segments after Thanksgiving and January into February?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
That's really interesting. Did they give reasons for the virtual segments after Thanksgiving and January into February?

My understanding from other universities is a fear of people returning home and getting infected and coming back. They wanted time for infections to get caught. That is not what IU said, but what I have heard elsewhere.

Is there enough dorm capacity?

I guess there has to be? It may be like this year where dorms down for mold rehabilitation. Priority went to first year students.

At the same point, I have heard rumors from other universities that population might be down 20%. IU might be counting on that as well.

Schools need $ too. Will be interesting to see if there’s football. Schools are already dropping some left-handed sports.

This is when the virus is likely to come back with a vengeance. Just trying to avoid the prime cold and flu season. Pretty obvious.

I suspect there will be 50% rules for stadiums. It doesn't matter for me, we opted not to get season tickets this year out of caution.
I don't see how that could be enforced. People will still pack together in a half filled stadium. Andy Frain ushers would have to be replaced with cops.

Reactions: Spartans9312
That is fine by me, I could go then and sit socially distanced.

Sell general admission so people can choose how much they want to isolate. And the ushers could help enforce some social distancing rules (e.g., some separation between seats). I think baseball could do this.

I guess there has to be? It may be like this year where dorms down for mold rehabilitation. Priority went to first year students.

At the same point, I have heard rumors from other universities that population might be down 20%. IU might be counting on that as well.
According to the story in The Star, Foster and McNutt which were closed for renovation (mold) last year will be ready to go this Fall as well as half of Teter Quad which was also closed. They also contracted with an outside apartment complex for housing. So they think they have enough.

Sell general admission so people can choose how much they want to isolate. And the ushers could help enforce some social distancing rules (e.g., some separation between seats). I think baseball could do this.
That might be workable at 25% capacity.

Lot of time between now and September. By that time people may have just said phukat and not care anymore. Or we may be in a resurgence and it will be TV only. Who could have predicted on March 1 what we're seeing now? Ninety days is a long time in these circumstances.

Lot of time between now and September. By that time people may have just said phukat and not care anymore. Or we may be in a resurgence and it will be TV only. Who could have predicted on March 1 what we're seeing now? Ninety days is a long time in these circumstances.

They need to figure out MLB. That will go a long way to setting the stage for football. NHL and NBA need to pack it in for 2020.

If it were up to me, attendance at any event like that would require an id for follow up in the event of infection. People need to get over their privacy paranoia.

Half-price tuition?
Frat parties at 6ft apart?
Campus rape-fest as all the perps will have masks?

Seats can be assigned assuring distance.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I'm slow on the uptake. It didn't dawn on me until this morning that this plan calls for the students to be physically absent from campus (and presumably at home or wherever) between Thanksgiving and early February. That tells me you can kiss basketball goodbye.

I'm slow on the uptake. It didn't dawn on me until this morning that this plan calls for the students to be physically absent from campus (and presumably at home or wherever) between Thanksgiving and early February. That tells me you can kiss basketball goodbye.
I can’t imagine them having football and not basketball.

Since kids will be on campus at the beginning and end of the season, I bet winter sports happen.

I can’t imagine them having football and not basketball.
I could see that. Football is outside, room to spread out, kids on campus, etc. Basketball... you've got none of that. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see how they can make that happen unless the situation on the ground is way way different from what is anticipated.

Since kids will be on campus at the beginning and end of the season, I bet winter sports happen.
You are obviously more plugged in than me. If that's how you're leaning, I'm good with it. Still not sure how they would handle a basketball crowd though.

You are obviously more plugged in than me. If that's how you're leaning, I'm good with it. Still not sure how they would handle a basketball crowd though.

They can play sans fans. I suspect there will be huge limits to Assembly Hall, far more than football. I heard for football, B10 teams were told to prepare for 1/2 and 1/3 attendance maximums. My guess is outdoors, 1/2 might be possible but 1/3 more likely. I cannot see how basketball gets above 25%. I have been to a lot of women's games with 4000 people, it can happen with distancing but people have to be willing to. By nature, everyone wants packed into the side bleachers. The women do not use the balcony, which will have to happen to get 4000 in to a men's game. So people can distance at 4000, but will they is a different story.

I am not saying I would go to one of those games, but I think plenty of people would. At least 4000.

Now the experts are saying that 6 feet is not at all accurate. If that holds up, who knows.

But the most likely scenario I see is no fans.

Reactions: UncleMark
They can play sans fans. I suspect there will be huge limits to Assembly Hall, far more than football. I heard for football, B10 teams were told to prepare for 1/2 and 1/3 attendance maximums. My guess is outdoors, 1/2 might be possible but 1/3 more likely. I cannot see how basketball gets above 25%. I have been to a lot of women's games with 4000 people, it can happen with distancing but people have to be willing to. By nature, everyone wants packed into the side bleachers. The women do not use the balcony, which will have to happen to get 4000 in to a men's game. So people can distance at 4000, but will they is a different story.

I am not saying I would go to one of those games, but I think plenty of people would. At least 4000.

Now the experts are saying that 6 feet is not at all accurate. If that holds up, who knows.

But the most likely scenario I see is no fans.

I'm curious as to how many of our season ticket holders in Football and Basketball are over 60 years old and have underlying conditions...

I don't have any illusions that even the threat of a horrible death would keep any of them home, I'm just curious as to how many we might lose...

The Varsity Club may have a lot fewer members this time next year...

ADVERTISEMENT