ADVERTISEMENT

IU to be featured on Outside the Lines...

It was my impression that we got rid of all of those trainers..., plus one high profile coach.

This is actually worse PR for O$U than it is IU, although there are apparently a couple non FB athletes with concerns as well.

Rowing? We're talking about rowing? I mean it's rowing. We're talking about rowing! Come on man!

Rowing? We're talking about rowing? I mean it's rowing. We're talking about rowing! Come on man!

Look I'm sure you meant well by trying to direct the conversation back to football but they're talking about a human being who may have trouble holding her child because of some misplaced hard assed coaching attitude (in rowing) and a totally blown diagnosis. Personally I'd purge whoevers left that had anything to do with that ----.

Look I'm sure you meant well by trying to direct the conversation back to football but they're talking about a human being who may have trouble holding her child because of some misplaced hard assed coaching attitude (in rowing) and a totally blown diagnosis. Personally I'd purge whoevers left that had anything to do with that ----.

Something is drastically wrong when a doctor tells somebody to work through a lower back pain so that they can row a boat. Do the Hoosiers give scholarships for rowing? And if so, why?

I suppose if bass fishing can be a varsity sport in high school anything is possible.

Last edited:
Something is drastically wrong when a doctor tells somebody to work through a lower back pain so that they can row a boat. Do the Hoosiers give scholarships for rowing? And if so, why?

I suppose if bass fishing can be a varsity sport in high school anything is possible.

Women's rowing is a big deal these days (nationally) still not worth lifetime injury for though.

Should be challenging days ahead for Fred Glass.
Really? Do you think so? Because I'm thinking this is pretty easily dealt with. If Fred anticipates problems in dealing with it, perhaps he should give me a call. My services are available.

Really? Do you think so? Because I'm thinking this is pretty easily dealt with. If Fred anticipates problems in dealing with it, perhaps he should give me a call. My services are available.
I haven't seen Glass' public comments regarding the show or the allegations offered by the two former student athletes. When you see them, would you please post them here? And since you offer d, how should he deal with the allegations?

I haven't seen Glass' public comments regarding the show or the allegations offered by the two former student athletes. When you see them, would you please post them here? And since you offer d, how should he deal with the allegations?

To me all of this was pretty well covered by the Indy Star and IDS back in December right after Wilson was fired.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ntributed-kevin-wilsons-resignation/94862298/

With the exception of the rowing incident, there was nothing really new in the Outside the Lines episode. It was largely just a rehashing of events for a national audience that had been previously covered locally.

While not direct comments, a memo from Glass to Wilson was released saying effectively saying the treatment of Carovillano was unacceptable and needed to change.

Plus, I'm guessing that what Glass can say is likely restricted by a confidentiality clause in Wilson's termination agreement. Meaning Glass likely can't say anything more than what has already been reported

Reactions: RBB89
To me all of this was pretty well covered by the Indy Star and IDS back in December right after Wilson was fired.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ntributed-kevin-wilsons-resignation/94862298/

With the exception of the rowing incident, there was nothing really new in the Outside the Lines episode. It was largely just a rehashing of events for a national audience that had been previously covered locally.

While not direct comments, a memo from Glass to Wilson was released saying effectively saying the treatment of Carovillano was unacceptable and needed to change.

Plus, I'm guessing that what Glass can say is likely restricted by a confidentiality clause in Wilson's termination agreement. Meaning Glass likely can't say anything more than what has already been reported

i don't recall it being covered locally. if it was, there wasn't all that much coverage, and i'm guessing most locals learned, or will learn, of it first from the ESPN piece.

as for Glass's and IU's reaction to the piece, i believe it was along the lines of "no comment".

as with many scandals, the "who knew, and when did they know it" question always arises.

My recollection is a bit different in that I don't recall Glass ever referencing Carovillano by name in the letter to Wilson, though I do remember Glass publicly stating that two investigations had revealed no instances of improper medical care or treatment of any student athlete.

As far as confidentiality, I'm sure the negotiated settlement between Wilson and IU precludes the public airing of certain things, but it wouldn't address the specific allegations made against IU medical and training personnel. Those weren't accusations directed toward Wilson but rather were focused on the care rendered. Has Glass commented on any of those issues?

Last edited:

Rowing is a direct product of Title IX. It is an easy way to add female scholarships without additional competition for facilities and it is fairly inexpensive to offer if you have a suitable body of water nearby. With no similar men's sport you do not have to worry about coaching salary equivalency, nor do you have to invest a lot in recruiting.

Apparently, however, we might want to spend some money upgrading the medical staff.

My recollection is a bit different in that I don't recall Glass ever referencing Carovillano by name in the letter to Wilson, though I do remember Glass publicly stating that two investigations had revealed no instances of improper medical care or treatment of any student athlete.

As far as confidentiality, I'm sure the negotiated settlement between Wilson precludes the public airing of certain things, but it wouldn't address the specific allegations made against IU medical and training personnel. Those weren't accusations directed toward Wilson but rather were focused on the care rendered. Has Glass commented on any of those issues?

In the linked article from my previous post, there is an attached memo from Glass to Wilson, and it mentions Carovillano by name.

And while investigations perhaps did not state that Wilson and medical staff were willfully malicious or negligent in their actions (warranting discipline or termination), that doesn't mean they were fully cleared either.

The memo addresses changes in protocols and new 'best practices' with handling injuries, which clearly suggests that something had been going wrong, but that it was perhaps just categorized as an unintended oversight.

And regarding accusations of the medical staff, it seems that at least in part the actions of the medical staff were due to intimidation by Wilson, and in that regard it would be difficult to address the medical staff accusations without also talking about Wilson

Last edited:
In the linked article from my previous post, there is an attached memo from Glass to Wilson, and it mentions Carovillano by name.

And while investigations perhaps did not state that Wilson and medical staff were willfully malicious or negligent in their actions (warranting discipline or termination), that doesn't mean they were fully cleared either.

The memo addresses changes in protocols and new 'best practices' with handling injuries, which clearly suggests that something had been going wrong, but that it was perhaps just categorized as an unintended oversight.

And regarding accusations of the medical staff, it seems that at least in part the actions of the medical staff were due to intimidation by Wilson, and in that regard it would be difficult to address the medical staff accusations without also talking about Wilson
Thanks for clarifying those points. It makes it even more confounding that Glass would've extended Wilson with such a long term deal at over twice the compensation if he knew these issues existed. Obviously not a smart move since he was forced to push him out only 11 months later.

Will be interesting to see what the fallout is from this as there are already rumors of others coming out with similar stories of mistreatment.

Thanks for clarifying those points. It makes it even more confounding that Glass would've extended Wilson with such a long term deal at over twice the compensation if he knew these issues existed. Obviously not a smart move since he was forced to push him out only 11 months later.

Will be interesting to see what the fallout is from this as there are already rumors of others coming out with similar stories of mistreatment.

The extension wasn't a big deal as most of it was not guaranteed, and IU only had to pay $500k. And generally, I think most are overlooking the recency of the contract as the situation was settled for so little. Usually, new contracts mean that schools are on the hook for a ton of money. Look at Purdue and Hazell, even though termination was for a different reason, 4 years into a 6 year deal and Purdue still was on the hook for $4.5M.

I view an extension with favorable buyout conditions as a fairly smart way to have handled the situation. It gives Wilson a second chance, but on a short lease, and doesn't undercut recruiting.

Reactions: Sope Creek
The extension wasn't a big deal as most of it was not guaranteed, and IU only had to pay $500k. And generally, I think most are overlooking the recency of the contract as the situation was settled for so little. Usually, new contracts mean that schools are on the hook for a ton of money. Look at Purdue and Hazell, even though termination was for a different reason, 4 years into a 6 year deal and Purdue still was on the hook for $4.5M.

I view an extension with favorable buyout conditions as a fairly smart way to have handled the situation. It gives Wilson a second chance, but on a short lease, and doesn't undercut recruiting.
Wilson accepted a buyout due to his forced resignation, but he would've been entitled to much more had he been fired. In such an instance, IU would've likely been forced to either settle for a much greater amount or face the prospect of litigation, which would've taken this matter into the public domain. Wilson walked away with money not subjected to deduction and his reputation intact, as his hiring at OSU proved. IU walked away hoping that the issue of player mistreatment wouldn't get out, which was a decent bet until this past Sunday. Glass realized how this would look, which is why he tried to counter it with last week's announcements. In the end, though, he looks foolish for extending a guy and then having to fire him shortly thereafter.

There are many issues here. First is Wilson's contract extension. Glass said that he had meetings with Wilson and Wilson was committed to correcting his actions. In fact, Glass said that he thought they were clearly understanding each other...and in agreement. Then Glass extended Wilson's contract. When it became apparent, quickly thereafter, that Wilson evidently was not on the same page as Glass...it was over. Bye Wilson. Some will say it was handled appropriately. Others will say that it is just Glass' spin.

Another issue is that we do not have all of the information. IU has put the lid on comments. Many reasons for that. Possible litigation is obvious. So we are getting a lot of information mainly from the students. We do not know any more than that. So judging either the students or others in IU medical or administration may be unfair at this time. So many questions like how could medical staff not know previous diagnosis. Was the negativity toward apparently hurting athletes institutionalized? All the more reason for information and documentation to come out. But that may not ever happen.

More importantly, it is paramount that the student-athletes have access to excellent medical staff and facilities without the ostracizing or negativism from IU. That apparently has been initiated and may be in place now. It raises questions, too. Why so late in doing this? How effective are the new procedures? Is oversight by IU Athletics better today than when Sampson came in and was supposed to be watched but wasn't?

I have neighbors that their daughter obtained a soccer scholarship at a different university in Indiana. She was injured in a game and could not continue to play. The university stopped her scholarship and didn't give medical support. She left that school and is struggling to achieve her continuing education and career goals. It isn't just IU doing wrong.

But they need to get it right. To me, it isn't apparent that Glass tried to keep this under wraps. Might be that, though. Seems he drew the line but Wilson screwed up...again. When did Glass really initiate cleaning the mess up and making sure it would never happen again?

Wilson accepted a buyout due to his forced resignation, but he would've been entitled to much more had he been fired. In such an instance, IU would've likely been forced to either settle for a much greater amount or face the prospect of litigation, which would've taken this matter into the public domain. Wilson walked away with money not subjected to deduction and his reputation intact, as his hiring at OSU proved. IU walked away hoping that the issue of player mistreatment wouldn't get out, which was a decent bet until this past Sunday. Glass realized how this would look, which is why he tried to counter it with last week's announcements. In the end, though, he looks foolish for extending a guy and then having to fire him shortly thereafter.

But the player mistreatment issues were already out. Perhaps to a limit audience, but they were publicly available. Additionally, the Indy Star came about this information from an open records request and published an article within 2 days of Wilson's termination. Its not likely that the Indy Star did so on its own volition. Submitting a blanket request for all IU correspondence with Wilson would have taken weeks if not longer to for IU to process and the Indy Star to sort through.

What likely occurred is that is someone in the athletic department, likely Glass or at the behest of Glass, directed Zach Osterman to submit a specific request, which IU probably had preemptively readied for dissemination. Doing so allows IU to get this information out to justify Wilson's termination and gets around any restrictions placed on IU from talking about the termination.

Well, Fredrica, if Mr. Glass were to consult with me -- which he does not -- I would tell him to fire the training staff. IU graduates doctors and nurses every six months -- we can get more of them.
Make this an in-house operation answerable to you, the AD and to the university's president and BOT, but NOT answerable to coaches. They should and must communicate effectively with coaches, but the coaches are not hiring them and cannot fire them. Give them a mission statement that makes student-athlete health their primary concern.
For football recruits, point out that when we identified a problem, we addressed it and, ultimately, fired the person we felt was responsible. Let Tom Allen's message of his love for his players sink in on its own. Make sure every recruit gets to see our concussion-detection efforts and a review of IU's concussion protocol program, as well as a detailed tour of the soon-to-exist Irsay training facility that will be in the new South End Zone project.
How's that for a three-step program?

It's my impression that FG already got rid of the training staff involved.

One thing that should be made clear (and may have already been) is that the Training Staff refer all injuries to the MD's.

Trainers are trainers and Doctors are Doctors. Trainers should never be making purely medical decisions. There will be crossovers in treatment but diagnosis should be done solely by MD's.

Atheletes should also be allowed at least one "paid for" second opinion outside the AD's med staff.

Reactions: Thomtar
Well, Fredrica, if Mr. Glass were to consult with me -- which he does not -- I would tell him to fire the training staff. IU graduates doctors and nurses every six months -- we can get more of them.
Make this an in-house operation answerable to you, the AD and to the university's president and BOT, but NOT answerable to coaches. They should and must communicate effectively with coaches, but the coaches are not hiring them and cannot fire them. Give them a mission statement that makes student-athlete health their primary concern.
For football recruits, point out that when we identified a problem, we addressed it and, ultimately, fired the person we felt was responsible. Let Tom Allen's message of his love for his players sink in on its own. Make sure every recruit gets to see our concussion-detection efforts and a review of IU's concussion protocol program, as well as a detailed tour of the soon-to-exist Irsay training facility that will be in the new South End Zone project.
How's that for a three-step program?
Those seem like appropriate measures, but I would've expected them to have been implemented years ago. If they were and what has been documented is a result of not adhering to existing protocols, then that must be addressed. If, on the other hand, athletes were poorly treated due to systemic shortcomings or failures, that's an entirely different matter. Would be nice if Glass cleared the air on this matter rather than being so secretive.

But the player mistreatment issues were already out. Perhaps to a limit audience, but they were publicly available. Additionally, the Indy Star came about this information from an open records request and published an article within 2 days of Wilson's termination. Its not likely that the Indy Star did so on its own volition. Submitting a blanket request for all IU correspondence with Wilson would have taken weeks if not longer to for IU to process and the Indy Star to sort through.

What likely occurred is that is someone in the athletic department, likely Glass or at the behest of Glass, directed Zach Osterman to submit a specific request, which IU probably had preemptively readied for dissemination. Doing so allows IU to get this information out to justify Wilson's termination and gets around any restrictions placed on IU from talking about the termination.
The allegations were out, but IU denied that any player had been given substandard care, referencing two investigations that Glass said turned up nothing. I'm not sure when Glass began to think Wilson needed to go, but he obviously waited until the season was over to push him out, rather than doing it at the time of any specific discovery of suspected wrongdoing.

Those seem like appropriate measures, but I would've expected them to have been implemented years ago. If they were and what has been documented is a result of not adhering to existing protocols, then that must be addressed. If, on the other hand, athletes were poorly treated due to systemic shortcomings or failures, that's an entirely different matter. Would be nice if Glass cleared the air on this matter rather than being so secretive.
Again, please remember I am not an expert but, I think "years ago" each coach was able to hire his own team doctor and I'm guessing the minor sports coaches got to hire whoever was on duty in the Bloomington Hospital ER.

That may be why such measures were not implemented "years ago." Well, that and such measures usually don't happen until there's a problem ...

There are many issues here. First is Wilson's contract extension. Glass said that he had meetings with Wilson and Wilson was committed to correcting his actions. In fact, Glass said that he thought they were clearly understanding each other...and in agreement. Then Glass extended Wilson's contract. When it became apparent, quickly thereafter, that Wilson evidently was not on the same page as Glass...it was over. Bye Wilson. Some will say it was handled appropriately. Others will say that it is just Glass' spin.

Another issue is that we do not have all of the information. IU has put the lid on comments. Many reasons for that. Possible litigation is obvious. So we are getting a lot of information mainly from the students. We do not know any more than that. So judging either the students or others in IU medical or administration may be unfair at this time. So many questions like how could medical staff not know previous diagnosis. Was the negativity toward apparently hurting athletes institutionalized? All the more reason for information and documentation to come out. But that may not ever happen.

More importantly, it is paramount that the student-athletes have access to excellent medical staff and facilities without the ostracizing or negativism from IU. That apparently has been initiated and may be in place now. It raises questions, too. Why so late in doing this? How effective are the new procedures? Is oversight by IU Athletics better today than when Sampson came in and was supposed to be watched but wasn't?

I have neighbors that their daughter obtained a soccer scholarship at a different university in Indiana. She was injured in a game and could not continue to play. The university stopped her scholarship and didn't give medical support. She left that school and is struggling to achieve her continuing education and career goals. It isn't just IU doing wrong.

But they need to get it right. To me, it isn't apparent that Glass tried to keep this under wraps. Might be that, though. Seems he drew the line but Wilson screwed up...again. When did Glass really initiate cleaning the mess up and making sure it would never happen again?

Glass was as transparent in the handling of the KW situation as he could be legally, and frankly moreso than most would have been. Glass followed standard performance management protocols in a setting such as this and KW failed to live up to documented expectations.

Fred could have fired KW with zero compensation but that may have led to litigation. Litigation would have been costly for Iu and may have ended KWs ability to secure a quality position due to damaging evidence brought by the University. It also would have dragged IU through the mud. The resumption was best for all involved, he is Ohio's problem now.

Former Big Ten rower of the year speaks out about IU medical treatment

by TC Malik

The recent allegations from former IU rower Katlin Beck against IU athletics have been a topic of conversation ever since Beck’s interview with “Outside the Lines,” an ESPN program.

The claims from Beck targeted IU medical trainers and the current coaching staff, most notably Coach Steve Peterson.

The 2015-16 Big Ten rower of the year, Rebecca Davis, was teammates with Beck at IU during the time of Beck’s injury and her one year on the rowing team. Davis was in the same situation as Beck because they were both injured during the same season. Davis said the medical and coaching staff were extremely cautious with not rushing her back to practice too soon.

“I don’t remember a single time where any of the coaches pressured me to push through my injury,” Davis said. “Every single time they were supportive of my recovery and making sure I was doing whatever was necessary to get back to practices.”

Davis, known as Rebecca Brougher before she was married, injured her neck during her sophomore year at IU and was kept out of practice for longer than she would have wished. Although it was a freak injury — she slipped while doing pull-ups — trainers told her to stay in bed for multiple days and rest despite her displeasure.

While Beck was critical of Coach Peterson and how he handled injuries, Davis couldn’t have said nicer things about her former coach and how much he genuinely cared about his rowers.

“I had a coach who cared about me like my dad cares about me,” Davis said. “He treated me like he would his daughter, and I knew that I was more important to him than winning 
championships.”

Davis went on to say that Peterson’s behavior is hard to find in collegiate athletics especially with such a huge team of more than 60 athletes.

“When I got injured, I was terrified because I didn’t know what was happening, it was really scary,” Davis said. “Steve actually stayed in the waiting room the entire time I was in the hospital and didn’t leave until they said I could go home.”

Davis got injured around October of her sophomore year, right around the time Beck’s injury also occurred. Davis also said how the training staff and coaches were quite careful about when players were ready to be back practicing.

Davis said the players were doing whatever they were capable of and the staff was judicious in making sure members of the “injured squad” were fit to practice. The injured rowers were monitored carefully and not forced to do anything outside of their 
capabilities.

An important part of Davis’ story is the IU medical staff specifically sending her to a local chiropractor in Bloomington to aid her neck injury. Davis said the IU staff cared enough about her to send her outside of the University, and it ended up being helpful to her recovery.

“They went out of the typical athletic department because the things we were doing in the training room weren’t working,” Davis said. “Somehow that had the magic trick that my neck needed.”

Davis overcame her injury with the assistance of the IU athletic department and the local chiropractor. Davis said the coaching and medical staff did their best to aid her recovery.

Davis went on to discuss how it would have been quite challenging for Peterson to know Beck’s injuries. Beck was one novice rower out of roughly 100 during the beginning of the season. While Peterson is the head coach, he mainly oversees the varsity rowers instead of the novice rowers.

“Specifically calling out a coach who cares so deeply about his athletes is very hard for me to listen to and accept,” Davis said. “He doesn’t deserve that. He’s gone above and beyond for me and my close teammates to benefit us as people.”

idsnews.com/article/2017/04/davis-defends-coach

Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: 76-1
Former Big Ten rower of the year speaks out about IU medical treatment

by TC Malik

The recent allegations from former IU rower Katlin Beck against IU athletics have been a topic of conversation ever since Beck’s interview with “Outside the Lines,” an ESPN program.

The claims from Beck targeted IU medical trainers and the current coaching staff, most notably Coach Steve Peterson.

The 2015-16 Big Ten rower of the year, Rebecca Davis, was teammates with Beck at IU during the time of Beck’s injury and her one year on the rowing team. Davis was in the same situation as Beck because they were both injured during the same season. Davis said the medical and coaching staff were extremely cautious with not rushing her back to practice too soon.

“I don’t remember a single time where any of the coaches pressured me to push through my injury,” Davis said. “Every single time they were supportive of my recovery and making sure I was doing whatever was necessary to get back to practices.”

Davis, known as Rebecca Brougher before she was married, injured her neck during her sophomore year at IU and was kept out of practice for longer than she would have wished. Although it was a freak injury — she slipped while doing pull-ups — trainers told her to stay in bed for multiple days and rest despite her displeasure.

While Beck was critical of Coach Peterson and how he handled injuries, Davis couldn’t have said nicer things about her former coach and how much he genuinely cared about his rowers.

“I had a coach who cared about me like my dad cares about me,” Davis said. “He treated me like he would his daughter, and I knew that I was more important to him than winning 
championships.”

Davis went on to say that Peterson’s behavior is hard to find in collegiate athletics especially with such a huge team of more than 60 athletes.

“When I got injured, I was terrified because I didn’t know what was happening, it was really scary,” Davis said. “Steve actually stayed in the waiting room the entire time I was in the hospital and didn’t leave until they said I could go home.”

Davis got injured around October of her sophomore year, right around the time Beck’s injury also occurred. Davis also said how the training staff and coaches were quite careful about when players were ready to be back practicing.

Davis said the players were doing whatever they were capable of and the staff was judicious in making sure members of the “injured squad” were fit to practice. The injured rowers were monitored carefully and not forced to do anything outside of their 
capabilities.

An important part of Davis’ story is the IU medical staff specifically sending her to a local chiropractor in Bloomington to aid her neck injury. Davis said the IU staff cared enough about her to send her outside of the University, and it ended up being helpful to her recovery.

“They went out of the typical athletic department because the things we were doing in the training room weren’t working,” Davis said. “Somehow that had the magic trick that my neck needed.”

Davis overcame her injury with the assistance of the IU athletic department and the local chiropractor. Davis said the coaching and medical staff did their best to aid her recovery.

Davis went on to discuss how it would have been quite challenging for Peterson to know Beck’s injuries. Beck was one novice rower out of roughly 100 during the beginning of the season. While Peterson is the head coach, he mainly oversees the varsity rowers instead of the novice rowers.

“Specifically calling out a coach who cares so deeply about his athletes is very hard for me to listen to and accept,” Davis said. “He doesn’t deserve that. He’s gone above and beyond for me and my close teammates to benefit us as people.”

idsnews.com/article/2017/04/davis-defends-coach

Go Hoosiers!

is IU disputing what K Beck said happened, happened?

if so, what are they saying is untrue regarding her story.

is IU disputing what K Beck said happened, happened?

if so, what are they saying is untrue regarding her story.
It appears to me to be just another rowers view of their coach. Didn't see anything official from IU there at all.
//not trying to be confrontational, that's just my view of the article//

Last edited:
Reactions: snowling
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT