ADVERTISEMENT

IU: The Not-so-Good & The Good

ORG

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2001
Damascus Maryland
I have been thinking and I was not sure what IU IS doing well and what it is doing not so well, so I decided to look at the Big 10 stats.

I'll go negative first and look at the "Not-so-Good" things, then look at the "Good" things. On a subjective level, I decided if IU is in the top half of the league, it is at least doing "Good" in that category. Below the top half is "Not-so-Good."

I realize that you may have different standards. Each category begins with the title of the category, followed by where IU ranks in the Big 10 in that category, and then the data.

NOT-S0-GOOD
  • Scoring = 10 (72.5 PPG)
  • 3 Point % offense = 10 (.347 )
  • 2 Point % defense = 11 (.338)
  • 3 Point FG made = 14 (6.3 PG )
  • Free throw % made = 12 (.660)
  • Rebounds offense = 11 (8.6 PG)
  • Rebounds defense = 8 (26.6 PG)
  • Rebounding margin =11 (-.06)
  • Turnover margin = 8 (.67 )
  • Assists = 8 (14.33 PG)
GOOD
  • Scoring defense = 6 (68.3 PPG)
  • Scoring margin = 7 (+4.2 PG)
  • Field goal % offense = 7 (.450)
  • Field goal % defense = 5 (.416)
  • Blocked shots = 5 (4.56 PG)
  • Steals = 7 (5.67 PG)
As expected, IU is in the bottom half of the league in both scoring and rebounding and even where it is doing "good" there is no positive stat where it is ranked above 5th in the Big 10. On the 'sunny side" of the street, IU is just one ranking away from being in the top half of the league in defensive rebounds, turnover margin and assists.

Did any of these stats surprise you?

Reactions: snowling
You forgot "middle", which, in my opinion, is 6-9.

1-5 good.
10-14 not good.

So Indiana is good at fg% defense and blocking shots.

Reactions: ORG
I have been thinking and I was not sure what IU IS doing well and what it is doing not so well, so I decided to look at the Big 10 stats.

I'll go negative first and look at the "Not-so-Good" things, then look at the "Good" things. On a subjective level, I decided if IU is in the top half of the league, it is at least doing "Good" in that category. Below the top half is "Not-so-Good."

I realize that you may have different standards. Each category begins with the title of the category, followed by where IU ranks in the Big 10 in that category, and then the data.

NOT-S0-GOOD
  • Scoring = 10 (72.5 PPG)
  • 3 Point % offense = 10 (.347 )
  • 2 Point % defense = 11 (.338)
  • 3 Point FG made = 14 (6.3 PG )
  • Free throw % made = 12 (.660)
  • Rebounds offense = 11 (8.6 PG)
  • Rebounds defense = 8 (26.6 PG)
  • Rebounding margin =11 (-.06)
  • Turnover margin = 8 (.67 )
  • Assists = 8 (14.33 PG)
GOOD
  • Scoring defense = 6 (68.3 PPG)
  • Scoring margin = 7 (+4.2 PG)
  • Field goal % offense = 7 (.450)
  • Field goal % defense = 5 (.416)
  • Blocked shots = 5 (4.56 PG)
  • Steals = 7 (5.67 PG)
As expected, IU is in the bottom half of the league in both scoring and rebounding and even where it is doing "good" there is no positive stat where it is ranked above 5th in the Big 10. On the 'sunny side" of the street, IU is just one ranking away from being in the top half of the league in defensive rebounds, turnover margin and assists.

Did any of these stats surprise you?
These figures belie the notion that we’re “really close”, as some would suggest.

You forgot "middle", which, in my opinion, is 6-9.

1-5 good.
10-14 not good.

So Indiana is good at fg% defense and blocking shots.
Nope. I didn't forget the middle. IMHO, if the stat is as good as or better than half the teams in the league, the stat is rated good. Less than 50% and the stat is rated not-so-good.

As I said earlier, facts are usually very objective with little room for disagreement. However, how the facts are interpreted IS subjective and is frequently emotionally weighted. So this allows for a lot of disagreement. And I am OK with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pledgemygrievance
KenPom adjusted O has them as 9th in the B1G and adjusted D as 5th. So overall middle of the pack seems accurate for this season.

Nope. I didn't forget the middle. IMHO, if the stat is as good as or better than half the teams in the league, the stat is rated good. Less than 50% and the stat is rated not-so-good.

As I said earlier, facts are usually very objective with little room for disagreement. However, how the facts are interpreted IS subjective and is frequently emotionally weighted. So this allows for a lot of disagreement. And I am OK with that.

Sure, no problem.

I personally am quite pleased with the defense in most areas despite where the rankings lie. IU is in the game and put themselves in a position where a burst of offense could win the game.

ADVERTISEMENT