ADVERTISEMENT

IU Sued

"Now universities are not delivering those services that students and their families have paid for and it's not fair for the universities with multi-million dollar endowments to keep all of the money that students and their families have paid."

"The lawsuit estimates IU owes students nearly $2.4 billion in reimbursements."

"Now universities are not delivering those services that students and their families have paid for and it's not fair for the universities with multi-million dollar endowments to keep all of the money that students and their families have paid."

"The lawsuit estimates IU owes students nearly $2.4 billion in reimbursements."

I wonder how they are getting those numbers. From the Herald-Times article on the story:

A cost comparison of online and in-person tuition was included in the document. It shows the cost of earning an undergraduate degree in informatics for an Indiana resident living on campus as $43,792, and $146,048 for out-of-state residents. The same degree earned online would cost $30,000 for Indiana residents and $42,000 for out-of-state residents, according to the document.

The university is not entitled to keep money for services it is not delivering, Roy Willey, an attorney representing the plaintiff, said in a statement.
Certainly they can't be wanting a refund for 4 years of education for 6 weeks of classes? The $2.4 billion seems way too high to be the amount for 1/2 a semester at the lower rate for online learning. If I take 2.4 billion and divide it by 111,000 students it comes up to $21,621 per student. Even with athletic and technology fees, that seems way high fir 1/2 a semester.

I wonder how they are getting those numbers. From the Herald-Times article on the story:

A cost comparison of online and in-person tuition was included in the document. It shows the cost of earning an undergraduate degree in informatics for an Indiana resident living on campus as $43,792, and $146,048 for out-of-state residents. The same degree earned online would cost $30,000 for Indiana residents and $42,000 for out-of-state residents, according to the document.

The university is not entitled to keep money for services it is not delivering, Roy Willey, an attorney representing the plaintiff, said in a statement.
Certainly they can't be wanting a refund for 4 years of education for 6 weeks of classes? The $2.4 billion seems way too high to be the amount for 1/2 a semester at the lower rate for online learning. If I take 2.4 billion and divide it by 111,000 students it comes up to $21,621 per student. Even with athletic and technology fees, that seems way high fir 1/2 a semester.

Ya the amount seems off but I can’t be argued that students are getting the product they purchased

Ya the amount seems off but I can’t be argued that students are getting the product they purchased

Just about every university seems to be getting sued. Purdue has already been sued. IU did lower their fees for the summer. I suspect their will be some negotiations on the amount. Of course with it going to class action, the students may not see a whole lot. I'm not disagreeing that the students should get some back, especially things like the transportation fee. But I doubt any student is going to go in to an interview and say, "my degree is from Indiana University but it is nearly worthless because 7 weeks was done online".

And since I mentioned Purdue, their plan to reopen is below. Basically they will start in August and end class learning at Thanksgiving and go to online. I am curious what drives that decision. https://www.theindychannel.com/news...due-has-a-plan-for-reopening-campus-in-august

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT