ADVERTISEMENT

IU starting 5 since '92

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
Since columnists are not, in fact, "basketball analysts", I felt compelled to start a thread here to discuss an Indystar article that tried to name a starting 5 for each Indiana basketball program since 1992.

And they got it wrong for the Hoosiers.

So let's fix it.

Cheaney
Henderson
Jeffries
Gordon

Three of those are locks.
And now it gets tricky. But it isn't Yogi

First of all, neither IU ( in the past) nor the Houston Rockets (currently) have had any trouble starting 2 shooting guards so long as one of them or both can bring the ball up. Thus far in the season, I haven't seen that the Rockets really even need Chris Paul to win games, let alone be the star. Harden and Gordon do just fine as guards and they have several others to fill in.

As such, you don't put together a team with this much firepower and not think that the PG should be a pass-first ball handler.

I'm thinking the best fit is either Damon Bailey or Greg Graham - Bailey could do everything as a guard, and Graham became perhaps the best guard in the nation during his senior year. Even Michael Lewis would be a pass first ball handler who could also shoot the 3.

Jeffries gives you nearly everything that Zeller does except a bit more size, but Zeller can come off the bench since JJ allows IU to have more outside shooting without losing rebounding.

The rest of the team:

Indiana's 4 best defenders in that timespan include Henderson, plus: Reynolds, Oladipo and Fife. I see no reason to leave those guys off. Winning starts with defense.

Plus we need to add DJ White coming in for Alan, and Haston and Evans as two more big guys who stretch the floor.

The other obvious choices at guard are G. Graham, AJ Guyton, and Yogi.

Since that is 16 and we need to bring it to 13, I might cut Reynolds, perhaps Lewis if I'm starting Bailey. And then we keep either Fife or Yogi.

As good as Yogi was, he works a lot better as the star than he does as the facilitator. He'd do well with Jeffries off the high screen, and with VO on the wing, but I'm not sure I'd cut Fife, whom often had guys tied up with the ball before they ever got into their offense.

Tough call there.

Reactions: minneman
Since columnists are not, in fact, "basketball analysts", I felt compelled to start a thread here to discuss an Indystar article that tried to name a starting 5 for each Indiana basketball program since 1992.

So let's fix it.

Cheaney
Henderson
Jeffries
Gordon

First of all, neither IU ( in the past) nor the Houston Rockets (currently) have had any trouble starting 2 shooting guards so long as one of them or both can bring the ball up. Thus far in the season, I haven't seen that the Rockets really even need Chris Paul to win games, let alone be the star. Harden and Gordon do just fine as guards and they have several others to fill in.

As such, you don't put together a team with this much firepower and not think that the PG should be a pass-first ball handler.

I'm thinking the best fit is either Damon Bailey or Greg Graham - Bailey could do everything as a guard, and Graham became perhaps the best guard in the nation during his senior year. Even Michael Lewis would be a pass first ball handler who could also shoot the 3.

Jeffries gives you nearly everything that Zeller does except a bit more size, but Zeller can come off the bench since JJ allows IU to have more outside shooting without losing rebounding.

The rest of the team:

Indiana's 4 best defenders in that timespan include Henderson, plus: Reynolds, Oladipo and Fife. I see no reason to leave those guys off. Winning starts with defense.

Plus we need to add DJ White coming in for Alan, and Haston and Evans as two more big guys who stretch the floor.

Since that is 16 and we need to bring it to 13, I might cut Reynolds, perhaps Lewis if I'm starting Bailey. And then we keep either Fife or Yogi.

As good as Yogi was, he works a lot better as the star than he does as the facilitator. He'd do well with Jeffries off the high screen, and with VO on the wing, but I'm not sure I'd cut Fife, whom often had guys tied up with the ball before they ever got into their offense.

Tough call there.
I believe the article only named a starting 5. We could easily name 2 teams that would Zeller or Jeffries. I'm okay with either one. Yogi or Bailey. I would probably go with Bailey, but imagine Yogi playing for RMK. Gordon is as good as we had in the last 25 years. Cheaney is a lock. Henderson or DJ. I don't think either is a bad choice. Henderson benefited from a more stable coaching staff and team. I would probably go with him.

My Five:
  • Jefferies
  • Chaney
  • Henderson
  • Graham
  • Coverdale (Total badass) played on one leg in final game
Criteria - No way I take anyone who did not go to a final 4.
Yogi, Zeller, VO, Gordon may have better NBA careers but none got past sweet 16 at IU and all left before they accomplished anything beyond BIG and Sweet 16. Those get you to the kids table but not the big boy table at IU.
Only final 4's and NCAA's get you a seat at the big boy table.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: IUgradman
Oladipo!! Way more athletic than any of the guards you mentioned and his defense is dynamite. He can handle the ball and is super fast.

Zeller
Jeffries
Cheaney
Oladipo
Coverdale

My Five:
  • Jefferies
  • Chaney
  • Henderson
  • Graham
  • Coverdale (Total badass) played on one leg in final game
Criteria - No way I take anyone who did not go to a final 4.
Yogi, Zeller, VO, Gordon may have better NBA careers but none got past sweet 16 at IU and all left before they accomplished anything beyond BIG and Sweet 16. Those get you to the kids table but not the big boy table at IU.
Only final 4's and NCAA's get you a seat at the big boy table.
Go Hoosiers!
So you're limiting it to only players from 2 teams. I'd have to disagree with you but that's what great about opinion discussions. There are some great players, both for IU and elsewhere, that never played in a FF.

Reactions: mobilehoosier

So let's fix it.

Cheaney
Henderson
Jeffries
Gordon

The rest of the team:

Tough call there.
I'm gong with Yogi, hands down. Who's coaching, lol. Thread about to be highjacked in 3,2,1.

So you're limiting it to only players from 2 teams. I'd have to disagree with you but that's what great about opinion discussions. There are some great players, both for IU and elsewhere, that never played in a FF.
Yes based on my criteria only two teams qualify. When you think about it we have really sucked for a long time. Sad. Get to the final four and you can be considered in my world. Doesn't make me right just explaining why I picked the way I did. I agree with you that we've had some individual players that may be more talented than the ones I picked but I picked guys who were good individually, good as team players, and actually stayed and did something special.
I also agree that opinion discussions are great and I respect yours.
Go hoosiers!

Zeller
Henderson
Cheaney
Gordon
Oladipo
G. Graham
Bailey
Yogi
J. Jeffries
D.J. White
Coverdale
Vonleh

Ferrell
Fife
Cheaney
Henderson
Zeller

So let's fix it.

Coach - RMK
Bailey
Fife
Cheaney
Henderson
Zeller

Ufo33: you are picking Vonleh over Big Ten Player of the year Brian Evans?

And hobbled warrior as he was Tommy C never iced teams for the win like Guyton did. AJ shut Michigan down in that second half and OT at Michigan, as a freshman. What did he put up? 30?

Ice cold AJ Guyton. Ask Temple. Or Penn State. Or Purdue. He was a stud. And that cross over spin move floater? Shhhhhhh.

Reactions: IndyAuthor
Remember, Fife wasn't very good under RMK and had to see a Sports Psychologist to overcome the loss of confidence endured under RMK's tutelage.

Ferrell
Fife
Cheaney
Henderson
Zeller

Coach - RMK
Bailey
Fife
Cheaney
Henderson
Zeller

So let's fix it.

Cheaney
Henderson
Jeffries
Gordon

The rest of the team:

Tough call there.

I know the question is for the time period "since 1992", but I can't help but think that Bellamy, McGinnis and Tolbert would have broken Zeller, Vonleh and Bryant in half and then bent them back the other way, too.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
IMHO You have to WIN SOMETHING ( Elite 8 or higher, BTPOTY),to be on the list..

Bailey
Graham,G
Cheaney
Henderson
Jeffries
Evans

Without "Winning Something"

Bailey
Gordon
Cheaney
Henderson
Zeller
Evans

I’m surprised I haven’t seen the late Jason Collier mentioned. Always thought he was a good, hard nosed player when he was at IU.

I’m surprised I haven’t seen the late Jason Collier mentioned. Always thought he was a good, hard nosed player when he was at IU.
Actually when he was at Indiana everyone thought he was soft and wanted to play outside all the time. RMK always got on him for shooting to many 3's and that is one of the reasons he ended up transferring. My lineup would be
Cheaney
Henderson
Jeffries
Bailey
G. Graham

I know the question is for the time period "since 1992", but I can't help but think that Bellamy, McGinnis and Tolbert would have broken Zeller, Vonleh and Bryant in half and then bent them back the other way, too.

Even that might be understating it, but while you're at it, none of the guards since '92 could hold a candle to Isiah Thomas.

Reactions: mazz
Oladipo!! Way more athletic than any of the guards you mentioned and his defense is dynamite. He can handle the ball and is super fast.

Zeller
Jeffries
Cheaney
Oladipo
Coverdale
Not in college he couldn't.

So let's fix it.

Cheaney
Henderson
Jeffries
Gordon

The rest of the team:

Tough call there.
Bailey without a doubt is my fifth starter on that team. Damon was a very underrated player at IU believe it or not.

Bailey without a doubt is my fifth starter on that team. Damon was a very underrated player at IU believe it or not.

Oh I know he was. He played very reserved most of his career but other than Jordy Hulls' left handed floating 3 and Chris Reynolds' half court diving "interception", and Moye's block, two of the greatest IU basketball plays I've ever seen included Bailey. One time he posted up and scored on Chris Webber-a guy who some consider a hall of fame caliber PF, and the other time Bailey scored as a senior while literally sitting on the ground. Remember that one?

Remember, Fife wasn't very good under RMK and had to see a Sports Psychologist to overcome the loss of confidence endured under RMK's tutelage.

True. They all kind of lit up once they were unleashed a bit. I still think Fife and Cov were going to light it up either way as they progressed.

Yogi wouldn't have started as a frosh under Knight though. Not with Creek and Abel there. He couldn't guard anyone until he was a senior. He did get his legacy punched though when he led IU to the outright conference win at Iowa. I've picked on Yogi a bit in this thread but it's a tough list.

By the way, one of the reasons I'd start Jeffries is because he could bring the ball up the court. He was very dynamic as a 3-4 but was also tall enough to guard 5s. And he rebounded well on both ends. My fault of him is that he wasn't quite as aggressive as he should have been. Losing that Big Ten game to drop IU to a 4-way tie in 1st was tough to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT