ADVERTISEMENT

IU soccer movie premiers Tuesday 5:00 (BTN)

"Worth the Wait" is a documentary film about the early days of IU soccer and up to the epic 1982 title game-the first star for the Hoosiers. McMurtry-you must know many of these '82 guys? Check out the trailer here:

https://twitter.com/IndianaMSOC
How cool. I never knew that story about 8 over times. I just looked at that 82 schedule. funny to see teams that were strong back then. Alabama A&M beat IU in bloomington that season. they made the final around that time too losing to Uconn. The Alabama A & M coach at that time was a guy named tim hankinson who coached the INDY 11 fairly recently. when i played in the tourney in the early 90s we had penalty kicks after 4 overtimes. 8 over times is insane!!

i'm not really certain i know anyone that far back. most the guys i know, hyllas, mcgauley, mccartney etc i think were mid 80s guys.

How cool. I never knew that story about 8 over times. I just looked at that 82 schedule. funny to see teams that were strong back then. Alabama A&M beat IU in bloomington that season. they made the final around that time too losing to Uconn. The Alabama A & M coach at that time was a guy named tim hankinson who coached the INDY 11 fairly recently. when i played in the tourney in the early 90s we had penalty kicks after 4 overtimes. 8 over times is insane!!

i'm not really certain i know anyone that far back. most the guys i know, hyllas, mcgauley, mccartney etc i think were mid 80s guys.
Well after I read your message I checked the '82 schedule as well and did a big "huh?" when I saw we played a team called Philadelphia Textile! Even more bizarre is that same Philadelphia Textile Univ. eliminated our Hoosiers the prior year! Doing some research, I see they are now Thomas Jefferson U.

Well after I read your message I checked the '82 schedule as well and did a big "huh?" when I saw we played a team called Philadelphia Textile! Even more bizarre is that same Philadelphia Textile Univ. eliminated our Hoosiers the prior year! Doing some research, I see they are now Thomas Jefferson U.
So crazy!

Did you see Purdue on the schedule!!!
Yeah I did. I keep hoping Purdue will go varsity one of these years, since their campus is a quick drive from my place. And when the Hoosiers came to West Lafayette, well we all know who would win.

Philadelphia Textile had a helluva basketball program back in the day. It was in the college division, which had its own great programs . . . Philadelphia Textile won it all in 1970 . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_NCAA_College_Division_Basketball_Tournament

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I remember them back in the day of bizarre soccer powerhouses. Howard. Philadelphia textile. Alabama a&m. SIU Edwardsville. I didn’t know they became Thomas Jefferson university.
I forgot all about Howard, whom IU beat to win the 1988 title. That was 1 of 2 years when the College Cup was played on campus sites. I hope they get back to that is they adopt the new year round model and the College Cup moves to April/May.

I forgot all about Howard, whom IU beat to win the 1988 title. That was 1 of 2 years when the College Cup was played on campus sites. I hope they get back to that is they adopt the new year round model and the College Cup moves to April/May.
Yup. It was so different then. Far less teams etc.

Crazy stuff. That seems like it'd be comparable to Houston Baptist or Incarnate Word winning the Final 4.
Just remember that was in the college division, not the Final Four as we know it. Think Division 2 football . . .maybe Division 3.

. . . UCLA won the Final Four in 1970 . . . the post-Lew Alcindor Bruins (Curtis Rowe, Sidney Wicks, Steve Patterson, et al) vs. the Artis Gilmores and Rex Morgans . . . featuring Pembrook Burroughs.

The Louisville Courier-Journal used to publish the rankings of all divisions of college basketball back in the day, probably because Kentucky had several great programs back then - Kentucky Weslyan, Bellermine, Louisville (Wes Unseld, Jim Price, Butch Beard, Junior Bridgeman, Allen Murphy, Phil Bond, Wesley Cox), UK, Western Kentucky (Jim McDaniels and Clarence Glover), Kentucky State (Travis Grant and Elmore Smith) . . . I studied them, and recall Philadelphia Textile as a consistently great program in a lower division . . . .

Last edited:
Really enjoyed it. Very well made. Great to hear from all the former players. You could sense the respect they had for Coach Yeagley. I was lucky enough to be living in Columbus to get to see the championship win in the snow in Jerry’s last game. Todd has done a good job keeping the tradition rolling. IU soccer assuming there will be a season should be ranked at or near the top with their loaded roster.

Reactions: snowling
Really enjoyed it. Very well made. Great to hear from all the former players. You could sense the respect they had for Coach Yeagley. I was lucky enough to be living in Columbus to get to see the championship win in the snow in Jerry’s last game. Todd has done a good job keeping the tradition rolling. IU soccer assuming there will be a season should be ranked at or near the top with their loaded roster.
I was at Jerry's last game too and will never forget it. That snow was awful-and I had to drive home to Indy afterwards. It was around Richmond when my feet finally thawed out! Really hope we can get this season in (even if it has to be without fans) because these Hoosiers should be outstanding. They will score plenty of goals, but the big question mark will be finding defenders to replace Maher and Weaver.

Reactions: snowling
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT