ADVERTISEMENT

IU seeks to gain ground in conference standings this weekend vs. Minnesota

IMO, we absolutely need to sweep this team even though a sweep won't help our resume much since this is by far the worst team in the B1G. Conversely, again IMO, just one loss to this team could do quite a bit of damage to the resume when the field of 64 is selected. We could mitigate a loss by having good showings against Mich and Neb later on, but I sure wouldn't want to rely on that happening. A bad showing against those two teams would make losing a game to Minn moot.

I was shocked to see the record of Minnesota, 4-20 going into the double header. The Gophers have always been one of the top teams in the conference and have won three NCAA championships in the 1950s and 1960s. I wonder what has happened to their program.

Their losses have generally been lopsided. They clearly have some outstanding hitting, but their pitching results are gruesome. Their team ERA is 7.93, compared to the Hoosiers 2.71.

In fact, their best pitchers' ERAs are comparable to our worst pitchers' ERAs.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I was shocked to see the record of Minnesota, 4-20 going into the double header. The Gophers have always been one of the top teams in the conference and have won three NCAA championships in the 1950s and 1960s. I wonder what has happened to their program.
Here is an article that came out five days ago about the Gophers' struggle. According to the article, John Anderson, who is in his 40th season coaching the team, has an expiring contract after this season, so maybe the brain trust there will be looking for a change. The article alludes a lot to the problems brought on by the Covid issue, but all teams in the B1G have been dealing with the same issue.

Thanks for that article. It explains how their problems were created. It was always amazing that Minnesota was so successful being located so far north.

ADVERTISEMENT