ADVERTISEMENT

IU reconsidering vaccine mandate

I don't get anyone making the decision to not get it. There's no good reason. Some have their rationalizations, but they're based on fear or misinformation.
Or the fact they already have the anti-bodies. You know - common sense-type stuff.

How quickly were those vaccines developed and delivered to the general public? Are those vaccines also currently labelled "emergency or experimental use" by the FDA?

Of those vaccinations that protect against illnesses, what was the survivability rate for the 18-22 year old age group for those viruses?

Smallpox, meningitis, and polio are a threat to college students. Covid-19 is not.

If you are threatened by the virus or at risk, then you are able to obtain a cost-free vaccination.

This is like requiring the drunk in the backseat you are driving home to pass a breathalyzer test even though you're the sober driver.
The standards for the clinical trials were not lessened. Enrollment and review was expedited. Research has been underway for some time in anticipation of the need for such a vaccine.

https://www.msh.org/blog/2020/12/23...ting-corners-covid-19-and-vaccine-development

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
I don't get anyone making the decision to not get it. There's no good reason. Some have their rationalizations, but they're based on fear or misinformation.
Can I ask how old you are, or your estimated risk level?

I'm 36, am 6'2" 175 lbs with no comorbidities. I work out 6 days a week, eat healthy foods, and take vitamin C and D every day. Whatever I'm doing has been working since I haven't gotten sick in over 15 months.

Data shows I'm not at high risk. Everyone I know who has gotten covid got over it in a matter of days, and some are older than I am.

Personally, I don't see the need to get a vaccine right now. If I was over 50, then yeah I probably would have already gotten my shots.

I do understand it still COULD be serious, but I accept that risk at this point. I haven't even worn a mask in probably over a month either.

Reactions: DANC

I'm 36, am 6'2" 175 lbs with no comorbidities. I work out 6 days a week, eat healthy foods, and take vitamin C and D every day. Whatever I'm doing has been working since I haven't gotten sick in over 15 months.

Data shows I'm not at high risk.
The presence of fire trucks and ice cream are highly correlated too...

You are then asking people who were very sick, to put the same virus back in their bodies. Some of which have long haul health issues that still resonate.

The CDC just said If one has the vaccine, you are good to go about your business without a mask indoor or outdoor. These vaccines are 95% effective irrespective of what others do,
The vaccines being administered don't use pieces of the virus, and they're around 95% effective in Pfizer's and Moderna's case, which is part of the reason you're seeing cases plummet .....

Data .....

The vaccines work. If I had been afflicted with COVID-19 in 2020, I'd still vaccinate in 2021 for precisely that reason. Maybe I'm missing something, but this stuff seems pretty simple and straightforward.

Data shows I'm not at high risk. Everyone I know who has gotten covid got over it in a matter of days, and some are older than I am.

Personally, I don't see the need to get a vaccine right now. If I was over 50, then yeah I probably would have already gotten my shots.

I do understand it still COULD be serious, but I accept that risk at this point. I haven't even worn a mask in probably over a month either.
Excellent post and welcome to the board. How would you describe your cardio?

As usual, when you delve below the surface you find powerful interests/ huge money involved...In this case, it's a combination of anti-vaxxers, covid deniers, and culture warriors. Right now they are having some success, except when it comes to Universities, so hopefully, IU will stand tall.

The legal challenges and terminology trickery will become a lot more indefensible when Pfizer is granted "full approval" to replace "emergency use authorization". Hopefully, the folks at IU will consult the legal analysts at Rutgers and Princeton...

"The arguments set forth in the North Carolina complaint mirror those outlined in letters from Siri, both sent on April 22, to the presidents of Rutgers and Princeton University.

"ICAN has received numerous inquiries from its members regarding this mandate, including students attending your university, and has asked that we send you the following notice," reads the letter to Rutgers University President Jonathan Holloway. It urged him to reconsider the requirement that students be vaccinated before arriving on campus this fall.

A university spokeswoman, Dory Devlin, said the policy stands. "Like the hundreds of public and private universities who have followed our lead, we are entirely confident in our legal and ethical position with respect to mandating vaccines in the fight against the global pandemic," she said in an email to The Washington Post.

Princeton, too, was unmoved by the letter. "We conducted a careful review and are confident in our legal position," said Ayana Gibbs, a university spokeswoman."

As usual, when you delve below the surface you find powerful interests/ huge money involved...In this case, it's a combination of anti-vaxxers, covid deniers, and culture warriors. Right now they are having some success, except when it comes to Universities, so hopefully, IU will stand tall.

The legal challenges and terminology trickery will become a lot more indefensible when Pfizer is granted "full approval" to replace "emergency use authorization". Hopefully, the folks at IU will consult the legal analysts at Rutgers and Princeton...

"The arguments set forth in the North Carolina complaint mirror those outlined in letters from Siri, both sent on April 22, to the presidents of Rutgers and Princeton University.

"ICAN has received numerous inquiries from its members regarding this mandate, including students attending your university, and has asked that we send you the following notice," reads the letter to Rutgers University President Jonathan Holloway. It urged him to reconsider the requirement that students be vaccinated before arriving on campus this fall.

A university spokeswoman, Dory Devlin, said the policy stands. "Like the hundreds of public and private universities who have followed our lead, we are entirely confident in our legal and ethical position with respect to mandating vaccines in the fight against the global pandemic," she said in an email to The Washington Post.

Princeton, too, was unmoved by the letter. "We conducted a careful review and are confident in our legal position," said Ayana Gibbs, a university spokeswoman."

This is a great idea...$ 980 discount for being vaccinated...

If you are vaccinated, tickets at one Florida venue are $18, but if you are not, they are $1,000...​

Excellent post and welcome to the board. How would you describe your cardio?
Monday through Thursday is spent lifting weights, and I'll sprinkle in 2 or 3 runs per week as well. I do triathlons so I try to also get some time in swimming and biking as well. Right now I only run a total of about 15 miles per week.

I just think taking care of one's self is the single most important thing you can do in regard to your health care, covid aside. It will not only improve your immune system, but lower health care costs overall which is a huge problem in this country. Perhaps that's a conversation for another day/thread.

Statistically you are at a low risk for serious disease but you can and will still spread the virus and contibute to the mutation process. The "risk" you say is acceptable for yourself is also a risk you are taking for everyone else...which is unacceptable,

Be a decent human being and get the jab. This week.

Statistically you are at a low risk for serious disease but you can and will still spread the virus and contibute to the mutation process. The "risk" you say is acceptable for yourself is also a risk you are taking for everyone else...which is unacceptable,

Be a decent human being and get the jab. This week.
iu

And those people who could have the virus transmitted to them can all get vaccinated now, which according to the CDC will protect them with over 95% effectiveness.

That is my point.

Everyone has made their choice by now, vaxxed or unvaxxed.

There is a catch, there are people for whom the vaccination does not work properly. People on chemo, people on immunosuppressants from organ replacement. And there are some with severe allergy issues who may have only been able to get shot 1.

Monday through Thursday is spent lifting weights, and I'll sprinkle in 2 or 3 runs per week as well. I do triathlons so I try to also get some time in swimming and biking as well. Right now I only run a total of about 15 miles per week.

I just think taking care of one's self is the single most important thing you can do in regard to your health care, covid aside. It will not only improve your immune system, but lower health care costs overall which is a huge problem in this country. Perhaps that's a conversation for another day/thread.
Very well done Mr. Lundegaard.

Reactions: Mr. Lundegaard
The only people you know are brain-adled drug abusers. No wonder they can't walk up a flight of stairs.

You and your man-boobs from a lifetime of smoking weed find it difficult to get off your couch.
Is that you, Mr Harry Anslinger, still espousing the evils of smoking the “devil’s weed”? What comes after man boobs, crazed insanity followed by incoherent ramblings in straitjacket and shackles? Don’t be denigrating my mental medicine there, big fellow! BTW, I have man boobs and proudly show them off in wet tee-shirt contests. Dressing in drag on those special occasions is more convincing, too. Plus, they make masturbation more exciting! Oh, and my couch is very comfortable for eating potato chips when Cheetos are finished off after pepperoni pizza.

There is a catch, there are people for whom the vaccination does not work properly. People on chemo, people on immunosuppressants from organ replacement. And there are some with severe allergy issues who may have only been able to get shot 1.

Then they need to get to lifting and doing the extreme cardio thing.

That’s why this place is nice. You can mofo strangers over topics you avoid with friends and fam. Politics isn’t worth losing friends over - easier to not broach the subject and run the risk
I was thinking more along the lines of "If you aren't getting vaccinated, you're a trumper". Based on my family and friends, that has very little correlation.

2 universes still exists for covid.

those at risk due to mostly age, and those relatively not at risk.

failure to acknowledge this and set policy relative to, has been a total disaster from the day this reality was first known a yr ago.

those now fully vaccinated who were previously in the at risk group, now are hopefully far less at risk.

Last edited:

Just a reminder that even if you're a reasonably fit LEO and believe you have immunity because the virus is "not real", the virus may still have other plans for you. This 33 yr old former Marine was the 2nd Deputy from the Denver Jail to die within the last 15 or so days.

So a 51 yr old and a 33 yr old who worked together and refused the option of getting the vaccine as eligible first responders since Jan both died of Covid two weeks apart. Whoda thunk it?

Is that you, Mr Harry Anslinger, still espousing the evils of smoking the “devil’s weed”? What comes after man boobs, crazed insanity followed by incoherent ramblings in straitjacket and shackles? Don’t be denigrating my mental medicine there, big fellow! BTW, I have man boobs and proudly show them off in wet tee-shirt contests. Dressing in drag on those special occasions is more convincing, too. Plus, they make masturbation more exciting! Oh, and my couch is very comfortable for eating potato chips when Cheetos are finished off after pepperoni pizza.
Well..... you do you.

I was thinking more along the lines of "If you aren't getting vaccinated, you're a trumper". Based on my family and friends, that has very little correlation.
My experience is that many trumpets are getting vaxed but virtually all people that are not are trumpets.

Reactions: UncleMark
The vaccines being administered don't use pieces of the virus, and they're around 95% effective in Pfizer's and Moderna's case, which is part of the reason you're seeing cases plummet .....

Data .....

The vaccines work. If I had been afflicted with COVID-19 in 2020, I'd still vaccinate in 2021 for precisely that reason. Maybe I'm missing something, but this stuff seems pretty simple and straightforward.

I had Covid in 2021, had natural immunity (antibodies), and still got vaxed. Now I feel like a superhuman (though without any actual powers)

That’s why this place is nice. You can mofo strangers over topics you avoid with friends and fam. Politics isn’t worth losing friends over - easier to not broach the subject and run the risk

damn, I guess I shouldn’t get my hopes up that I’m besties with other posters

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT