ADVERTISEMENT

IU really needs George Karlaftis to move the program forward

Sep 11, 2011
If IU gets him to transfer, as expected, and then lands Yanni Karlaftis then IU will be a real threat in the Big Ten East. I don't think Yanni will be much of an issue as well because of Allen's defensive reputation, but you never know.

Here is how I see the depth chart next season:

DE - Karlaftis
DT - Johnson
DT - Elliott
DE - Ziemba
LB - McFadden
LB - Cam Jones
LB - Ball
CB - Mullen
S - Burgess
S - Fitzgerald
CB - Reece

And then when IU adds little Karlaftis next year, oh man. Watch out. The front seven is going to be absolutely stacked.

Reactions: Nieman
If IU gets him to transfer, as expected, and then lands Yanni Karlaftis then IU will be a real threat in the Big Ten East. I don't think Yanni will be much of an issue as well because of Allen's defensive reputation, but you never know.

DE - Karlaftis
DT - Johnson
DT - Elliott
DE - Ziemba
LB - McFadden
LB - Cam Jones
LB - Ball
CB - Mullen
S - Burgess
S - Fitzgerald
CB - Reece

And then when IU adds little Karlaftis next year, oh man. Watch out. The front seven is going to be absolutely stacked.
IU is it getting either Karlaftis. He basically has played his entire football career on the Purdue campus. Please tell me you are not serious about thinking he is leaving Purdue. Would absolutely be ecstatic if he and David Bell would come over but it AINT happening.

Nothing more than a pipe dream. But maybe Romeo could hook up with his girlfriend after the NBA season to put the screws to him like he did Phinisee.

I wouldn’t say the rumors are nothing. You can be skeptical of this because I’m presenting it vaguely but I have an ear in the program who says there have been “conversations”. Nothing is final, obviously, but it’s definitely something you’ll want to watch in the coming days.

I wouldn’t say the rumors are nothing. You can be skeptical of this because I’m presenting it vaguely but I have an ear in the program who says there have been “conversations”. Nothing is final, obviously, but it’s definitely something you’ll want to watch in the coming days.

I doubt we'll know for certain until August rolls around.....

Have also heard that ND and "the" Ohio $tate are attempting to get involved too...

Heard another whisper a few days ago that a couple of key Offensive players are considering looking elsewhere too...:confused:

That field of theirs seems to be the big area of concern...:eek:

Take it for what you will...

I’m assuming this has to do with Holt’s dismissal? I find it hard to believe. I know IU obviously recruited the kid but I thought at the end it was really down to Purdue and Michigan?

The kid would have to sit out a year. This isn’t like an immediate eligibility in the transfer portal. Just find it very odd unless the Holt thing soured the younger brother. I think Yanni might end up at Wisconsin if things have changed.

I’m assuming this has to do with Holt’s dismissal? I find it hard to believe. I know IU obviously recruited the kid but I thought at the end it was really down to Purdue and Michigan?

The kid would have to sit out a year. This isn’t like an immediate eligibility in the transfer portal. Just find it very odd unless the Holt thing soured the younger brother. I think Yanni might end up at Wisconsin if things have changed.

Story is Diaco wants him to move to OLB...:confused:

This is true that it’s not a given the younger brother ends up on the same team. There’s a few moving parts in play with him so I can’t say one way or the other where he ultimately lands. As for George, Holt being dismissed has less to do with it than you’d think. Again I hate to be vague but we’ll just have to see how this plays out.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

DE - Karlaftis
DT - Johnson
DT - Elliott
DE - Ziemba
LB - McFadden
LB - Cam Jones
LB - Ball
CB - Mullen
S - Burgess
S - Fitzgerald
CB - Reece

IU will be just fine with the players they currently have. Anyone else who wants to join the team will I’m sure be welcomed but I’m holding no breath over this.

He missed his chance... We don't like his sideline demeanor...;)
Apparently Ramsey does, I can’t divulge my sources, but let’s just say I know someone close to the program. Ramsey knows that Brohm is looking for a grad transfer QB for next season and needless to say, he’s fed up with being demoted to 2nd string every time Penix is healthy enough to play a quarter or a couple of series. There have been conversations, It will be interesting to watch the transfer portal.

Apparently Ramsey does, I can’t divulge my sources, but let’s just say I know someone close to the program. Ramsey knows that Brohm is looking for a grad transfer QB for next season and needless to say, he’s fed up with being demoted to 2nd string every time Penix is healthy enough to play a quarter or a couple of series. There have been conversations, It will be interesting to watch the transfer portal.

Touche' ;):rolleyes: LOL :D

Last edited:
Just for conversation sake who was the last PU player to transfer to IU? One is not coming to mind. I'm sure it's happened. For that matter who was the last IU player to transfer to PU? If GK were to transfer my thought is that IU would not be his landing spot. He would have his choice of many top programs. Maybe ND would make sense since it's outside the BIG and yet close to home.

Just for conversation sake who was the last PU player to transfer to IU? One is not coming to mind. I'm sure it's happened. For that matter who was the last IU player to transfer to PU? If GK were to transfer my thought is that IU would not be his landing spot. He would have his choice of many top programs. Maybe ND would make sense since it's outside the BIG and yet close to home.
Dre Muhammed

Purdue’s starting center Garvin in the Bucket game transferred to Purdue from IU.

Purdue’s starting center Garvin in the Bucket game transferred to Purdue from IU.
Happens all over. A Michigan OL player transferred to OSU and he was very good. Borland I think was his name. I also think his brother is on the OSU team now.

DE - Karlaftis
DT - Johnson
DT - Elliott
DE - Ziemba
LB - McFadden
LB - Cam Jones
LB - Ball
CB - Mullen
S - Burgess
S - Fitzgerald
CB - Reece

As expected? By who? & I can tell you're serious. I can't imagine living...on whatever planet you live on. Sorry, no need for me to be a smartass, but that's just crazy, crazy, CRAZY talk. Wherever you're hearing that, you might wanna' distance from that..."source". That is NOT. GONNA'. HAPPEN.

Happens all over. A Michigan OL player transferred to OSU and he was very good. Borland I think was his name. I also think his brother is on the OSU team now.

Justin Boren. Father played at Michigan. Two brothers later played at Ohio State.

I would be stunned if Karlaftis transferred to IU. Pleased, but stunned. So I'm not holding my breath.

Question though, have the in-conference transfer rules changed? I remember when John Kerr left IU to go home and (not) play for Ohio State. There was some rule then that if you transferred within the Big10 you weren't eligible for a scholarship. Is that no longer the case?

Question though, have the in-conference transfer rules changed? I remember when John Kerr left IU to go home and (not) play for Ohio State. There was some rule then that if you transferred within the Big10 you weren't eligible for a scholarship. Is that no longer the case?
My recollection is that the current school could prevent transfers within the conference if they chose to.

Reactions: TMFT
I would be stunned if Karlaftis transferred to IU. Pleased, but stunned. So I'm not holding my breath.

There used to be rules within the conference that stated if you transferred within the conference, you weren't eligible to receive a scholarship. I remember that happening to Jeff George and Luke Recker. The introduction of the grad transfer rule really turned everything upside down. I'm not sure what happens if the player that's transferring hasn't graduated yet, but if they've graduated then they can go anywhere they want and get a full ride. This was tested in the Big when Max Biefeldt transferred from UM to IU. I did a little google search and couldn't find a definitive answer on players that haven't graduated.

Reactions: TMFT
Normal transfer rules now apply to in-conference transfers. If graduated, can play immediately. If not, have to lay out a year.

Reactions: TMFT and red hornet
Normal transfer rules now apply to in-conference transfers. If graduated, can play immediately. If not, have to lay out a year.
Unless....they are a QB and go to OSU! Seems like the appeals process for players is pretty weak these days. The rich seem to get richer!

ADVERTISEMENT