ADVERTISEMENT

IU/PU play twice every year? (link)

Is there a reason Purdue and IU can't schedule a game in the pre-conference season in year's they don't play twice in the Big 10?
We did it in 2004 or 2005 at the RCA Dome.

Reactions: ORG
We did it in 2004 or 2005 at the RCA Dome.
I think both teams could pick a game date in the pre-season to use as a IU-Purdue play date and hold that ONE game date open until the Big Ten schedule is released. If the Big schedule has them playing twice, then they schedule another team to play that date.
If the Big has them playing only once, "The Game is ON." They could agree in advance to a home and home.

Reactions: ufo33
It is more important that the Big Ten pretend to be an east coast conference and include Rutgers, Maryland, and the Jerry Sandusky school where half of its fans are just fine with the Sandusky serial child rape.
I know many PSU grads and NONE of them are fine with the Sandusky crimes.

The ACC makes sure that NC and Duke plays twice every year. The Big 10 should do the same for IU and PU. A out of conference game isn't the same IMO.

They had Joe Paterno day just last year, and most of the stadium was cheering. Check out their message boards: it is half care and half don't care.

At any rate, the ethical thing to do is to get Penn St. out of the Big 10: rather not be associated with Sandusky and that mess. In my opinion, Penn State should not be playing football ever again.

Yes. . . He should be held accountable for something he had nothing to do with. . . We all should be held accountable for what other members of our family did.

So you think that reflects positively on Penn State?

They had Joe Paterno day just last year, and most of the stadium was cheering. Check out their message boards: it is half care and half don't care.

At any rate, the ethical thing to do is to get Penn St. out of the Big 10: rather not be associated with Sandusky and that mess. In my opinion, Penn State should not be playing football ever again.
IMHO, you have a very radical view which is discriminatory towards individuals, employees of PSU and students who had nothing to do with the crimes and many of whom were not even associated with PSU when it happened.
Thankfully, we have court systems in place to ensure due process and fundamental fairness.

IMHO, you have a very radical view which is discriminatory towards individuals, employees of PSU and students who had nothing to do with the crimes and many of whom were not even associated with PSU when it happened.
Thankfully, we have court systems in place to ensure due process and fundamental fairness.
For a very long time, the football program was deemed to be more important than serial child rape. Right now, half of their fans care and half don't. I don't want to be associated with any of that, and it is horrible for the image of the Big Ten. No, I don't think they should be playing football right now, and if they do play, they can do it somewhere the hell away from me and the conference of IU. This is basic morality.

Yes, the judicial system found Sandusky guilty of serial child rape and sentenced him to 30-60 years in prison. Joe Paterno and others in positions of power enabled this monster. The punishment by the NCAA was laughable. You know what fellow prisoners do to child molesters in prison? They have a higher code of ethics than the NCAA and you do.

For a very long time, the football program was deemed to be more important than serial child rape. Right now, half of their fans care and half don't. I don't want to be associated with any of that, and it is horrible for the image of the Big Ten. No, I don't think they should be playing football right now, and if they do play, they can do it somewhere the hell away from me and the conference of IU. This is basic morality.

Yes, the judicial system found Sandusky guilty of serial child rape and sentenced him to 30-60 years in prison. Joe Paterno and others in positions of power enabled this monster. The punishment by the NCAA was laughable. You know what fellow prisoners do to child molesters in prison? They have a higher code of ethics than the NCAA and you do.
Again, to me, a career law enforcement official, your position is extreme and radical. I agree. Hold those people who are responsible accountable.

If you think the NCAA was "laughable', then hold the NCAA accountable. However, I MHO, it is wrong to punish and sanction people who had nothing to do with the crimes.

As far as being "embarrassed" I do not get embarrassed (and feel guilty) for things I did not do.

Reactions: ItsMillerTime
Again, to me, a career law enforcement official, your position is extreme and radical. I agree. Hold those people who are responsible accountable.

If you think the NCAA was "laughable', then hold the NCAA accountable. However, I MHO, it is wrong to punish and sanction people who had nothing to do with the crimes.

As far as being "embarrassed" I do not get embarrassed (and feel guilty) for things I did not do.
Organizations get rid of people all the time when they tarnish their image. The Big Ten has an image and reputation to uphold, and serial child rape isn't good for that image/rep.

I think what happened at Penn St. is the most awful thing that has ever happened in NCAA athletics and it isn't even close. If there is a proper punishment and a vast majority of the fan base understands what happened was wrong and disassociates itself from the Paterno era, then go play football somewhere away from me: whatever. I still don't want to be associated with that, but they would be worthy a second chance elsewhere.

Half of their fans don't care. Penn St., obviously, hasn't sorted their demons out or understand the proper moral response to what happened, yet. Even if you hold those accountable that perpetrated the child rape and enabled it, there is still a very confused fan base regarding morality. I am not ok with associating with a fan base where half of them don't care that serial child rape occurred, hold Joe Paterno day or think he is a hero, etc.

Organizations get rid of people all the time when they tarnish their image. The Big Ten has an image and reputation to uphold, and serial child rape isn't good for that image/rep.

I think what happened at Penn St. is the most awful thing that has ever happened in NCAA athletics and it isn't even close. If there is a proper punishment and a vast majority of the fan base understands what happened was wrong and disassociates itself from the Paterno era, then go play football somewhere away from me: whatever. I still don't want to be associated with that, but they would be worthy a second chance elsewhere.

Half of their fans don't care. Penn St., obviously, hasn't sorted their demons out or understand the proper moral response to what happened, yet. Even if you hold those accountable that perpetrated the child rape and enabled it, there is still a very confused fan base regarding morality. I am not ok with associating with a fan base where half of them don't care that serial child rape occurred, hold Joe Paterno day or think he is a hero, etc.
if you feel that strongly then don't go to or watch any PSU sporting event.

But weren't some higher ups at PSU aware to some degree what was happening? By saying you want to hold "people" accountable, I hope you're not ruling out institutional responsibility for PSU.

On years they only play once they could tweak the matchups in the Crossroads Classic and have PU vs IU and ND vs Butler.
I would much rather play IU twice and Butler and ND once EVERY year. Home and home every year for IU and Butler and ND home and home every other year for each.

Is there a reason Purdue and IU can't schedule a game in the pre-conference season in year's they don't play twice in the Big 10?

They have tried, but PU has balked in the past as games in Indy are home games for IU.

Got it, but how many of them twist themselves into pretzels making excuses for Paterno? THOSE are the fans...and it is most of them...that sicken me.

Don't know that I would ever say I trust the ethics of a group of convicted felons in prison. There is a problem with grouping the morality of the entire University with that of a few.

They have tried, but PU has balked in the past as games in Indy are home games for IU.
Why is there a need to play in Indy? There is no doubt Indy is more kind to IU than Purdue. Why not play the second game at Mackey, or more logically, make it an annual home and away for each team?? Pretty simple...

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Don't know that I would ever say I trust the ethics of a group of convicted felons in prison. There is a problem with grouping the morality of the entire University with that of a few.
Here is the problem. Penn St. as a whole doesn't have much of an identity outside of Joe Paterno. The Penn St. football program certainly does not have much of an identity outside of Joe Paterno. As stated before, the fan base is still very confused morally regarding their response to the serial child rape, especially Joe Paterno's role as an enabler. There is still an institutional issue here. Sure, the main players are gone, but this mess is far from cleaned up. It is NOT ok to have Joe Paterno day.

As stated before, I don't want anything to do with this: it comes down to basic morals. I don't want IU to have anything to do with this or to have its image tarnished from associating with Penn St. Penn St. needs to be properly punished and rehabilitated as a whole: this is how society works, and this has not occurred. Penn St. has forfeited its Big Ten privileges and should be exercising its demons elsewhere.

Here is the problem. Penn St. as a whole doesn't have much of an identity outside of Joe Paterno. The Penn St. football program certainly does not have much of an identity outside of Joe Paterno. As stated before, the fan base is still very confused morally regarding their response to the serial child rape, especially Joe Paterno's role as an enabler. There is still an institutional issue here. Sure, the main players are gone, but this mess is far from cleaned up. It is NOT ok to have Joe Paterno day.

As stated before, I don't want anything to do with this: it comes down to basic morals. I don't want IU to have anything to do with this or to have its image tarnished from associating with Penn St. Penn St. needs to be properly punished and rehabilitated as a whole: this is how society works, and this has not occurred. Penn St. has forfeited its Big Ten privileges.

"Identity". Good word. "Confused". Apt characterization. And the fans are by and large just plain folk like Hoosiers, helped elect a total dipstick in DC just like Hoosiers, and are probably reacting by and large the same way IU fans would (recall how many for how long and still, embrace BK despite considerable bad if not criminal behavior* ). As an institution with it's fair share of drama (KS), "we" may be in a position to parse this PSU gridiron issue better than most... That being said, while I agree that JoePa Day is extremely sketchy (I've strengthened the modifier on this like 5 times - don't know what he knew or when he knew it but get the sense that he didn't exactly step in and take control), would relegating that and any campus-affiliated celebration (not memory) of his name be enough? How long are they (PSU and their fans) made to grind on this and what is/are the benchmark(s) for when they're allowed to move on? Enough. I imagine regular folk just want to move on and as you astutely point out, desperately want to cling to the former greatness and glory they experienced ere it became soiled/cursed - they're/we're certainly mostly not holding the RCC to the same standard/bar (you're setting for PSU), that were it anything other than a international centuries-old orthodoxy would have institutionally ceased to exist. Or thus do I imagine.

Be glad when the Season (or practice at least) begins so we can devote more bandwidth to Hoops.

* I view his "enjoy being raped" comment as a moral crime just the same.

Last edited:
Why is there a need to play in Indy? There is no doubt Indy is more kind to IU than Purdue. Why not play the second game at Mackey, or more logically, make it an annual home and away for each team?? Pretty simple...
Wouldn't both schools make more money in a home and home series?

Wouldn't both schools make more money in a home and home series?

Ahhh - now you're getting somewhere. :D

Sadly it's (or should I say IT'S) most-times a situation where if that makes sense then everything else will be made to...

Eat the Rich.

This is one of the more interesting threadjacks in awhile: HTH does a thread about IU and PU playing twice a year turn in to an argument over PSU and Jerry Sandusky?

This is one of the more interesting threadjacks in awhile: HTH does a thread about IU and PU playing twice a year turn in to an argument over PSU and Jerry Sandusky?
That wouldn't happen if we still had Thread View.

It is more important that the Big Ten pretend to be an east coast conference and include Rutgers, Maryland, and the Jerry Sandusky school where half of its fans are just fine with the Sandusky serial child rape.
Knowing many from Penn State, they wanted anyone aware of Sandusky and his actions to go to jail.

Indy is right answer from IUs standpoint as it allows fans that can't get into TAH a chance to see them play. That and they can sell 20,000 tickets of which 17,000 would be IU fans. PU wins if they get half the money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT