ADVERTISEMENT

IU President McRobbie to retire from IU - June of 2021

Maybe we will get someone who supports the athletic department.
No surprise. This has been planned for a couple of years. McRobbie, like the vast majority of college Presidents is an academician. That's why the AD also has the title "vice-president". In my opinion, McRobbie has done an excellent job at IU and has supported the athletic department. He hasn't tried to run the athletic department - which is good - but he also hasn't neglected it or sought to undermine it. From my perspective, his level of involvement has been about what I'd expect from the President of a major educational institution with multiple campuses.

Be careful what you wish for. The next Myles Brand or Adam Herbert could be out there waiting. Adam Herbert loved athletics. That didn't make him a competent President.

I'm pretty "Blah" about McRobbie. I'm not in the know enough to talk overly intelligently about how good or bad he's been. However, with three kids now in high school and talking more and more to different "educational" type people across the state. It's pretty obvious to me that IU has definitely slipped in it's status, at least in Indiana. Between the "East Coast" bias (which ticks off a ton of educators around the state), the continued tuition creep and at least a perceived lack of "status"...it just seems that IU has lost a lot of luster under his guidance. I'm glad his time is up and here's to hoping the next leader has a great vision and takes IU in the right direction.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
No surprise. This has been planned for a couple of years. McRobbie, like the vast majority of college Presidents is an academician. That's why the AD also has the title "vice-president". In my opinion, McRobbie has done an excellent job at IU and has supported the athletic department. He hasn't tried to run the athletic department - which is good - but he also hasn't neglected it or sought to undermine it. From my perspective, his level of involvement has been about what I'd expect from the President of a major educational institution with multiple campuses.

Be careful what you wish for. The next Myles Brand or Adam Herbert could be out there waiting. Adam Herbert loved athletics. That didn't make him a competent President.
This post is money. Well done! Go Hoosiers!

Not a surprise. The Bicentennial was his last hurrah. It was his main focus for the last 18 months and was going to be his big send-off. Too bad for those plans that COVID happened and turned all the pomp and circumstance into a couple of online events.

McRobbie didn't care about athletics and that's why Glass was kept around dispite lack of winning in the major revenue programs. He brought in the donor money.

I agree, he could have been worse. Brand being the prime example of that. But it should not be hard to do better. You want the university president to be somewhat hands off with athletics, but care enough to address problems if the AD isn't getting it done.

Not a surprise. The Bicentennial was his last hurrah. It was his main focus for the last 18 months and was going to be his big send-off. Too bad for those plans that COVID happened and turned all the pomp and circumstance into a couple of online events.

McRobbie didn't care about athletics and that's why Glass was kept around dispite lack of winning in the major revenue programs. He brought in the donor money.

I agree, he could have been worse. Brand being the prime example of that. But it should not be hard to do better. You want the university president to be somewhat hands off with athletics, but care enough to address problems if the AD isn't getting it done.
I'm sure if you take the position that the AD was a major failure and should have been fired, you would see the President in a negative light. That's understandable. But I think the majority of people on the BOT, the majority of alumni and donors (including me), the majority of coaches and athletic department staff, and the majority of fans in general (especially those connected to the university in more ways than mens' basketball - which is what you really mean here) don't share your assessment of the AD. By that measure, I think you are in the minority in your opinion of the President as well.

Of all the folks I regularly talk to or hear from who don't like Fred Glass, 99.9% are simply upset over mens' basketball. Like it or not, there's much more to the job. From where I sit, it's pretty hard for me to find any other area in which FG did not leave IU better off than where he found it. And even though many (including me) think Tom Crean should have been canned much sooner, and many (not me) think Archie Miller was the wrong hire, we have the benefit of hindsight that Fred Glass did not have when he made those decisions. I can't think of another sport or area of responsibility that hasn't been improved in his tenure.

McRobbie could make a mean shrimp on the barbie!

I’m going to miss his introductory videos at football games where he welcomed everyone like we were about to go out on the lawn, drink tea and play cricket.

Reactions: Chriselli
I dont get the hate on Fred Glass. Every sport but basketball is better than when he started and football got soooo many improvements in desperately needed while he was here like new locker rooms, new weight room (although not football only its new), new meeting rooms etc. He made 1 bad hire in crean and got crucified for it when he actually did a pretty good job

McRobbie will be long remembered for having a hand in destroying families all across Indiana.

My guess is he's not out mingling with the student population while he's facilitating this super-spreader event he's foisting on the state of Indiana...

Holding in person classes is flat out criminal at this time...,in my opinion...

Reactions: red hornet
McRobbie will be long remembered for having a hand in destroying families all across Indiana.

My guess is he's not out mingling with the student population while he's facilitating this super-spreader event he's foisting on the state of Indiana...

Holding in person classes is flat out criminal at this time...,in my opinion...
Please explain exactly what super spreader event are you talking about. This is your second use of that term, so I assume that you have something specific in mind.

Please explain exactly what super spreader event are you talking about. This is your second use of that term, so I assume that you have something specific in mind.

Simply using my common sense.

This has nothing to do with my politics... I'm a conservative.

It seems more than clear to me that by putting 50,000 students together on campus that it's a certainty they'll mingle in unsupervised spaces and the asymptotics with pass the virus on to others..., thus doubling and tripling the outbreak... Once this event is detected classes will shut down... At that point, of course, it will be too late because then you're sending all those students back home to intermingle with their families and their townsfolk..., thus triggering a "super-spreader" event...

Right now the state of Indiana has maintained a reasonable containment on what I call the CCCP virus in most counties...; that won't be the case after these kids go back to their respective communities...

It doesn't take a medical genius to see this coming, which is why I'm so incensed about the decision (and the decision maker)...

///(and this is completely leaving out their certain interaction with the 85,000 plus population of Bloomington)\\\

Last edited:
Fred Glass really elevated his status in the last year or two. With the improvement and facility upgrades in the football program, Fred is a winner in my book.

If Tom Allen continues his path he's on, Fred will look even better. I used to give Fred hell, but his status has been upgraded in my book.

Fred Glass really elevated his status in the last year or two. With the improvement and facility upgrades in the football program, Fred is a winner in my book.

If Tom Allen continues his path he's on, Fred will look even better. I used to give Fred hell, but his status has been upgraded in my book.

Tom Allen is Fred's one saving grace.

that and people confuse the one given the money to build something, as the one who made it happen.

that and people see any and all construction as a plus, and don't ever scrutinize whether the construction was done in the best way it could have been done, even if we're stuck with it for the next 75 yrs.

they only see it as much better than nothing, which it usually is, but better than nothing shouldn't be the gage.

and in one case, unfortunately he destroyed something by selling the rights for it to be destroyed.

how much of the blame he shares for this i know not, but someone needs their ass in a sling for it, and Fred tops the list of suspects.

i would blame McRobbie too, but think he was too totally ignorant on the subject to know better.

ADVERTISEMENT