ADVERTISEMENT

IU President, McRobbie, can't leave soon enough.

abraxis

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2001
Stone Head, IN
While at the grocery store, I glanced at an article in the Indy Star today regarding a movement by McRobbie to make a name for himself before leaving (sound familiar?) by discrediting another, all under the guise of political correctness. A copy and paste from a South Bend Tribune article follows:

David Starr Jordan’s name is all over Indiana University Bloomington’s campus. The 19th century zoology professor and university president is remembered in the biology building, a parking garage and even a river.

But current IU President Michael McRobbie announced Thursday that he will recommend renaming parts of the Bloomington campus that now honor Jordan during the Oct. 2 Board of Trustees meeting.

The decision comes after a 60-page committee report concluded Jordan’s scientific and university histories are not significant enough to outweigh his racism and “public persona that is now almost entirely tied to the significant role he played in the U.S. eugenics movement.”

“Continuing to use the Jordan name in honorific namings risks IU being viewed as mistakenly celebrating his advocacy of eugenics, a field that is entirely at odds with IU’s longstanding belief in higher education as a means for personal growth and transformation,” McRobbie said in the release.

I haven't given as much as a single dime to IU since Brand canned Knight the way he did. I certainly won't reconsider any time soon, following this crap from McRobbie. As a member of the last graduating class at IU to receive a degree in Zoology, I find McRobbie's last gasp at recognition against this distinguished Biology professor to be particularly offensive, and it has absolutely nothing to do with my personal thoughts on racism. I feel sorry for the family of David Jordan, as I did that of Wildermuth's.

But the thought police don't agree with the thoughts of a 19th century zoology expert.... How dare you question their recommendations!!!! I won't sleep until the Jordan name is purged forever from all things IU.... What a load of total BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!

While at the grocery store, I glanced at an article in the Indy Star today regarding a movement by McRobbie to make a name for himself before leaving (sound familiar?) by discrediting another, all under the guise of political correctness. A copy and paste from a South Bend Tribune article follows:

David Starr Jordan’s name is all over Indiana University Bloomington’s campus. The 19th century zoology professor and university president is remembered in the biology building, a parking garage and even a river.

But current IU President Michael McRobbie announced Thursday that he will recommend renaming parts of the Bloomington campus that now honor Jordan during the Oct. 2 Board of Trustees meeting.

The decision comes after a 60-page committee report concluded Jordan’s scientific and university histories are not significant enough to outweigh his racism and “public persona that is now almost entirely tied to the significant role he played in the U.S. eugenics movement.”

“Continuing to use the Jordan name in honorific namings risks IU being viewed as mistakenly celebrating his advocacy of eugenics, a field that is entirely at odds with IU’s longstanding belief in higher education as a means for personal growth and transformation,” McRobbie said in the release.

I haven't given as much as a single dime to IU since Brand canned Knight the way he did. I certainly won't reconsider any time soon, following this crap from McRobbie. As a member of the last graduating class at IU to receive a degree in Zoology, I find McRobbie's last gasp at recognition against this distinguished Biology professor to be particularly offensive, and it has absolutely nothing to do with my personal thoughts on racism. I feel sorry for the family of David Jordan, as I did that of Wildermuth's.
So you feel Jordan’s racist theories which were considered extreme even in his days doesn’t warrant his name being removed from a building? Even the present day biology professors want it gone. This isn’t about being politically correct. Jordan was a bad dude according to his Eugenics theories.

Lots of GREAT things were done by some pretty bad people and we are reaping the benefits years later. What if toilet paper was invented by a bad dude.....are you going to quit using it to rectify your stance?

Lots of GREAT things were done by some pretty bad people and we are reaping the benefits years later. What if toilet paper was invented by a bad dude.....are you going to quit using it to rectify your stance?
I don't think by removing the name of someone that may have done some amazing things is saying they didn't do amazing work, but it's ok to say they shouldn't represent the university anymore based on their racist views. It's really not that difficult of a concept to understand. IMO it's not much different than southern states saying they'd no longer like to be tied to the confederate flag. I think that's as deep as I'd like to take it. This probably belongs on the water cooler anyways.

Look I'm not some flaming liberal who believes in rewriting history. I do feel the accomplishments of many who may have been "bad dudes" does belong in a museum so we can remember their accomplishments or be reminded of our darker history. I'm really tired of our country being so divided so I'm just not going to entertain this debate. I'm much more interested in our common ground, which on this site should be all things IU.

But the thought police don't agree with the thoughts of a 19th century zoology expert.... How dare you question their recommendations!!!! I won't sleep until the Jordan name is purged forever from all things IU.... What a load of total BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!
It’s easy for Whimp McRobbie to act tough guy when the one he accuses of racism is no longer here to defend his research, most of which was conducted after he left IU. Get off your pompous high horse, McRobbie. You’ve accomplished nothing here at IU if this proves to be your last act of recognition. Mitch Daniels has it all over your sorry ass. How many buildings has Mitch renamed just to please his liberal base?

Reactions: SoccerSammy
It’s easy for Whimp McRobbie to act tough guy when the one he accuses of racism is no longer here to defend his research, most of which was conducted after he left IU. Get off your pompous high horse, McRobbie. You’ve accomplished nothing here at IU if this proves to be your last act of recognition. Mitch Daniels has it all over your sorry ass. How many buildings has Mitch renamed just to please his liberal base?
What part of the article that referred to a sixty page report on the subject did you miss. Don't think McRobbie made this up on his own or that his actions in response to the report are inconsistent with what is going on around the country. Ignoring the subject has far worse consequences for IU than pissing you off does.

Reactions: baileyiu and Eppy99

Last week called. They want their news back.

Lots of GREAT things were done by some pretty bad people and we are reaping the benefits years later. What if toilet paper was invented by a bad dude.....are you going to quit using it to rectify rectalfy your stance?
FIFY.

Shirley, you saw that one . . . .

I don't think by removing the name of someone that may have done some amazing things is saying they didn't do amazing work, but it's ok to say they shouldn't represent the university anymore based on their racist views. It's really not that difficult of a concept to understand. IMO it's not much different than southern states saying they'd no longer like to be tied to the confederate flag. I think that's as deep as I'd like to take it. This probably belongs on the water cooler anyways.

Look I'm not some flaming liberal who believes in rewriting history. I do feel the accomplishments of many who may have been "bad dudes" does belong in a museum so we can remember their accomplishments or be reminded of our darker history. I'm really tired of our country being so divided so I'm just not going to entertain this debate. I'm much more interested in our common ground, which on this site should be all things IU.
Those upset about this are the same people who’d love to point out to UK fans that Adolf Rupp was a racist and an embarrassment to Kentucky and college basketball.

So you feel Jordan’s racist theories which were considered extreme even in his days doesn’t warrant his name being removed from a building? Even the present day biology professors want it gone. This isn’t about being politically correct. Jordan was a bad dude according to his Eugenics theories.
That, and there is evidence that he helped cover up the murder of the wife of Leland Stanford.
Just sayin'.

What part of the article that referred to a sixty page report on the subject did you miss. Don't think McRobbie made this up on his own or that his actions in response to the report are inconsistent with what is going on around the country. Ignoring the subject has far worse consequences for IU than pissing you off does.
What, an essay Jordan presented in 1899...are there people out there now just looking for trouble in the name of systemic racism? Will long haired hippie chicks in sundresses soon be bathing their naked children in the McRobbie River adjacent to Dunn Meadow? BTW, is the Dunn family from Bloomington in the late 1800's yet to be thoroughly scrutinized for perpetual worthiness? Are we going to disavow Jesus Christ someday after discovering Peter as being quoted saying JC occasionally wore women's panties back in his carpentry days working for Jerusalem's Habitat for Humanity? Get real people and good riddance McRobbie, you pompous prude of political pressure.

Reactions: SoccerSammy
What, an essay Jordan presented in 1899...are there people out there now just looking for trouble in the name of systemic racism? Will long haired hippie chicks in sundresses soon be bathing their naked children in the McRobbie River adjacent to Dunn Meadow? BTW, is the Dunn family from Bloomington in the late 1800's yet to be thoroughly scrutinized for perpetual worthiness? Are we going to disavow Jesus Christ someday after discovering Peter as being quoted saying JC occasionally wore women's panties back in his carpentry days working for Jerusalem's Habitat for Humanity? Get real people and good riddance McRobbie, you pompous prude of political pressure.
Best laugh I've had all day.... I've been saying all along ---What are we going to do about MLK Jr. when the pompous prudes decide that womanizing is the sinful action of the day???

Reactions: abraxis

pwn the cons

Reactions: UncleMark
You really just don’t get it. This country has a long history of racism whether it be against the native Americans, African Americans, Japanese, etc. To ignore history and not try to grow as a more inclusive country is just not trying. I’m assuming you’re a Caucasian male and never had to deal with the amount of hate these people had, the amount of systemic racism that worked against them to keep them without power, land and the pursuit of happiness. I’m just going to assume for the purpose of this conversation your family has never been segregated, asked to sit in the back of the bus, forced to give up your land, held in dentention, hung from a tree, stopped by a police officer and harassed because of the color of your skin, had an entire family enslaved or killed, etc. And no I’m not telling you to feel guilty because your white, I’m just asking you to have some effing compassion and consider what progress for all might look like. And if it’s as little or big as the name of a building being changed, let’s just call that progress and move on instead of being butt hurt for the Jordan family. That’s all.

You really just don’t get it. This country has a long history of racism whether it be against the native Americans, African Americans, Japanese, etc. To ignore history and not try to grow as a more inclusive country is just not trying. I’m assuming you’re a Caucasian male and never had to deal with the amount of hate these people had, the amount of systemic racism that worked against them to keep them without power, land and the pursuit of happiness. I’m just going to assume for the purpose of this conversation your family has never been segregated, asked to sit in the back of the bus, forced to give up your land, held in dentention, hung from a tree, stopped by a police officer and harassed because of the color of your skin, had an entire family enslaved or killed, etc. And no I’m not telling you to feel guilty because your white, I’m just asking you to have some effing compassion and consider what progress for all might look like. And if it’s as little or big as the name of a building being changed, let’s just call that progress and move on instead of being butt hurt for the Jordan family. That’s all.

Systemic racism doesn’t exist in the United States of America in 2020.

We hang our heads in shame for the sins of of our forefathers, now and forever more. There, is that acceptable to you? Now, let’s all move on.

Please identify the law or system that is racist in design and explain how.

Affirmative action is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
Since you claim there's no systemic racism, I doubt there's anything I'm going to say to change your mind so I'm going to pass on naming any laws (I honestly don't know the laws well enough). I've spent time as a mentor working inside a maximum security juvenile detention center and I spent time in college volunteering inside an inner city school. Those experiences alone have shown me how difficult life is for all poor people but even more so for poor African American people.

We hang our heads in shame for the sins of of our forefathers, now and forever more. There, is that acceptable to you? Now, let’s all move on.
Hey, I didn't start this thread you did, I just responded so I think its you that needs to realize the country is ready to move forward. Im not asking you to feel shame, I'm asking you to open your heart and listen to people that don't feel welcome in this country. It's really not that hard.

Since you claim there's no systemic racism, I doubt there's anything I'm going to say to change your mind so I'm going to pass on naming any laws (I honestly don't know the laws well enough). I've spent time as a mentor working inside a maximum security juvenile detention center and I spent time in college volunteering inside an inner city school. Those experiences alone have shown me how difficult life is for all poor people but even more so for poor African American people.
Hey, I didn't start this thread you did, I just responded so I think its you that needs to realize the country is ready to move forward. Im not asking you to feel shame, I'm asking you to open your heart and listen to people that don't feel welcome in this country. It's really not that hard.

Still looking for proof of that systemic racism. You seem like a swell guy with a great sense of empathy. Kudos.

For something to be systemic is has to be encoded into law, SOP, etc. So I’ll ask again, identify the system and where it discriminates on the basis of race. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking equality of opportunity should equal equality of outcome.

And in case you were thinking of going down this road, lack of generational wealth transfer is not the same as systemic racism.

Last edited:

Move on? Just two months ago you posted the most racist bull**it I’ve ever seen on this board. You said you believed slaves were happy to be enslaved. Now you’re giving lectures on PC? Maybe it’s time to self cath and call it a night?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DrHoops and Bloom.
Still looking for proof of that systemic racism. You seem like a swell guy with a great sense of empathy. Kudos.

For something to be systemic is has to be encoded into law, SOP, etc. So I’ll ask again, identify the system and where it discriminates on the basis of race. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking equality of opportunity should equal equality of outcome.

And in case you were thinking of going down this road, lack of generational wealth transfer is not the same as systemic racism.

You’re not actually describing systemic or institutional racism. You’re just saying it’s now illegal to discriminate based on race. Those aren’t the same.

Sure, we changed the laws (a mere 50 years ago) but we still have a legal system that sentences folks of color to longer sentences for similar crimes as whites, loads poor people (wink) up with a ton of fines, puts them in jail for not paying those fines, traps them with bail, and then often strips them of their constitutional rights even after they’ve done their time. We also make it tougher for poor people (wink) to vote by not making Election Day a holiday, by not making mail-in voting universal for less mobile folks. Also, black political representation Is still being strangled by gerrymandering.

Can we at least talk a little bit about the wealth gap? Lol. How that leads to systemic racism? Sure, lenders aren’t (openly) charging higher interest rates based on color but it is happening. Call it the aftermath of redlining, generations of job, education, housing, and banking discrimination.

Anyway, you had me at “Don’t fall into the trap of thinking equality of opportunity should equal equality of outcome.” Lolol

Reactions: bubbatwo
Way to deflect the question. Kudos. Nice classic “I don’t have any evidence so I’ll just claim I’m more intelligent & compassionate” defense. Either quit spouting nonsense or back it up

Move on? Just two months ago you posted the most racist bull**it I’ve ever seen on this board. You said you believed slaves were happy to be enslaved. Now you’re giving lectures on PC? Maybe it’s time to self cath and call it a night?
I never said (all) slaves were happy to be enslaved. I said not all of them went up the gangplank screaming and kicking in shackles, as portrayed in Hollywood. Some family’s went willingly. Some slaves lived under better living conditions on the plantation than what they had in the bush country of Africa. Not all slaves worked the cotton fields from sun up to sun down. Some cooked in the homes, while others did laundry and other maid-like services. Some did landscaping choirs while others split wood. They made music and sang at night on occasion. Yes, some of the trouble makers were shot or hung, but relatively few. More Whites were being hung from gallows than Blacks during these same times as the Wild West. History wants to engrain in us that Black Africans were ALL mistreated. People want us to believe they are still mistreated to present day-it helps get people voted into office, both Blacks and Whites. Racism is a natural occurrence in the evolution of life. It will never go away entirely. These statements don’t make me a racist, in the traditional sense of the word, one who hates Blacks, Whites, Reds or Chartreuses...any race other than themselves. There are those who use the call of racism to their advantage, even when it doesn’t truly exist in a chosen incident. I recognize that game when I see it, while others choose not to.

I never said (all) slaves were happy to be enslaved. I said not all of them went up the gangplank screaming and kicking in shackles, as portrayed in Hollywood. Some family’s went willingly. Some slaves lived under better living conditions on the plantation than what they had in the bush country of Africa. Not all slaves worked the cotton fields from sun up to sun down. Some cooked in the homes, while others did laundry and other maid-like services. Some did landscaping choirs while others split wood. They made music and sang at night on occasion. Yes, some of the trouble makers were shot or hung, but relatively few. More Whites were being hung from gallows than Blacks during these same times as the Wild West. History wants to engrain in us that Black Africans were ALL mistreated. People want us to believe they are still mistreated to present day-it helps get people voted into office, both Blacks and Whites. Racism is a natural occurrence in the evolution of life. It will never go away entirely. These statements don’t make me a racist, in the traditional sense of the word, one who hates Blacks, Whites, Reds or Chartreuses...any race other than themselves. There are those who use the call of racism to their advantage, even when it doesn’t truly exist in a chosen incident. I recognize that game when I see it, while others choose not to.
Slavery - denying a person the right to the basic decisions about their own lives - is mistreatment.

Nice revisionist post, both about history and your earlier post, when you basically said most slaves were so happy, they sat around and sang songs all day.

Not as bad as the THB mural nonsense.

But the guy hides behind a committee and a 60 page report. Are he and the BoTs capable of doing anything without cover?

Upsheet Creek would be an appropriate name for the Campus River. That's where we'll be when the Left is done with their nonsense.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Slavery - denying a person the right to the basic decisions about their own lives - is mistreatment.
Could it be some put their names in the auction willingly...say, those with a sense of adventure and nothing much else going on in their lives? (Yes, it’s possible and that doesn’t make me a racist for suggesting it.)

Could it be some put their names in the auction willingly...say, those with a sense of adventure and nothing much else going on in their lives? (Yes, it’s possible and that doesn’t make me a racist for suggesting it.)
O.M.G.

ADVERTISEMENT