ADVERTISEMENT

IU President, McRobbie, can't leave soon enough.

Let me clarify a few things, if that is even possible with the rambling ways of my mind, filled with way too many words. I am not a racist. A racist to me is someone who doesn't like another person because that person is a member of another race, in the most basic sense.

I've always been a positive person, even to the point of telling many people through the years that I've been blessed with a happiness gene, if there even is one. I don't know much about the slavery issue, much like the American Indian issue, other than what little I've read or seen on TV or the movies through the years...like most other people. I made the decision at a late point in my life, to believe what I want to believe. Why believe the worst in people, things that brings down the human spirit? One of the things I believe is that not all slaves were abused. Some might have had pretty good lives, relatively speaking, compared to the shit-hole conditions they were accustomed to in Africa. I've read that when slavery was abolished, some slaves chose to remain there. They didn't all flee en masse, running in the opposite direction. I also like to think that there might have been some Africans who boarded the boats willingly, without kicking and screaming. I imagine it to be relatively few, but I think it's possible. Is it true? I don't know and it doesn't matter because it's only what I choose to think. I don't like the thought that slaves were flogged every night or horsewhipped for something as little as stealing the plantation owner's watermelon. Maybe they were, but that's a depressing thought so I think otherwise. I never said you had to think like me. I just share my thoughts because that's what we do here. I envision some of them making music at night from their private quarters behind the mansion....strumming on the old banjo and playing spoons with their other friends. Why does this make me a racist? It seems like some people on here think if you have anything but a negative thought about these enslaved people, it makes one a racist. That's fine if you choose to think that-it's your call. Yes, slavery is a bad thing and is to forever be condemned, but when it happened, American society hadn't evolved, yet, to those higher standards of ethics. That doesn't make it right, but it was allowed to happen by our government at that time in history and we've grown from it. We're on our way to better race relations but, unfortunately will probably never get their 100%, on the racism thing because of the evolutionary DNA thing that has us inherently leery of others who don't look or believe that same way as so others of our "same kind"...survival of the fittest in it's most elemental sense. It's what got us here today.

Anyway, I'm trying to corral my thoughts here. I continue to think not all cops are bad because some have abused their power while other people think all cops are bad and it's a systemic racism problem. Maybe it is, but I chose to think otherwise, because thinking it's a systemic racism is a depressing thought and would make me angry...triggered in condemnation and that's not a way I want to be in the later stage of life...it's not how I want to go out. Likewise, I don't think all slaves were abused. Most were treated with at least a little respect. I imagine some of them developed likable relationships with their owners. Yes, some slave owners were abusive to them but I think through the media we are led to believe many were hung from a tree for something as little as looking cross-eyed at the plantation owner's daughter. Maybe they were, but I think higher of the basic human spirit. Does this make me a racist or as TMP put it so succinctly, a Piece Of Shit? Think what makes you happy or think what makes you angry.

FWIW, a friend of ours, a neighboring Black lady, lost her 8 month battle to breast cancer just last month. Jacque Watson was her name. She never told anyone but her daughter living in Bloomington of her condition and with the Covid hitting, we lost a lot of social contact but my wife kept communicating with her, never knowing of her rapidly deteriorating condition. We used to party together, even attending a couple IU football games, tailgating on the grassy knolls south of the stadium. She was a big IU fan. Last night with a bonfire and the full Harvest Moon rising above the valley, a small group of us saluted her as we felt her spirit. So when so many gang up on me as being a racist for saying the blanket statements, "slaves were happy to be there" or "slaves boarded the boat willingly", when that's not what I said, I don't question what's wrong with me for thinking some might have, but what's wrong with them for thinking it's impossible, which to them qualifies me as some lowly racist piece of shit. Perhaps it helps them think better about themselves, but that's okay...for them.

You are what you think you are. The miracle of life is a beautiful thing to see, for whatever is and ever will be, is now becoming. It's getting better all the time.
You will find out that these lower than average lawyers on the Cooler, that racist is their go to word to try to win an augment!

• Haha
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Let me clarify a few things, if that is even possible with the rambling ways of my mind, filled with way too many words. I am not a racist. A racist to me is someone who doesn't like another person because that person is a member of another race, in the most basic sense.

I've always been a positive person, even to the point of telling many people through the years that I've been blessed with a happiness gene, if there even is one. I don't know much about the slavery issue, much like the American Indian issue, other than what little I've read or seen on TV or the movies through the years...like most other people. I made the decision at a late point in my life, to believe what I want to believe. Why believe the worst in people, things that brings down the human spirit? One of the things I believe is that not all slaves were abused. Some might have had pretty good lives, relatively speaking, compared to the shit-hole conditions they were accustomed to in Africa. I've read that when slavery was abolished, some slaves chose to remain there. They didn't all flee en masse, running in the opposite direction. I also like to think that there might have been some Africans who boarded the boats willingly, without kicking and screaming. I imagine it to be relatively few, but I think it's possible. Is it true? I don't know and it doesn't matter because it's only what I choose to think. I don't like the thought that slaves were flogged every night or horsewhipped for something as little as stealing the plantation owner's watermelon. Maybe they were, but that's a depressing thought so I think otherwise. I never said you had to think like me. I just share my thoughts because that's what we do here. I envision some of them making music at night from their private quarters behind the mansion....strumming on the old banjo and playing spoons with their other friends. Why does this make me a racist? It seems like some people on here think if you have anything but a negative thought about these enslaved people, it makes one a racist. That's fine if you choose to think that-it's your call. Yes, slavery is a bad thing and is to forever be condemned, but when it happened, American society hadn't evolved, yet, to those higher standards of ethics. That doesn't make it right, but it was allowed to happen by our government at that time in history and we've grown from it. We're on our way to better race relations but, unfortunately will probably never get their 100%, on the racism thing because of the evolutionary DNA thing that has us inherently leery of others who don't look or believe that same way as so others of our "same kind"...survival of the fittest in it's most elemental sense. It's what got us here today.

Anyway, I'm trying to corral my thoughts here. I continue to think not all cops are bad because some have abused their power while other people think all cops are bad and it's a systemic racism problem. Maybe it is, but I chose to think otherwise, because thinking it's a systemic racism is a depressing thought and would make me angry...triggered in condemnation and that's not a way I want to be in the later stage of life...it's not how I want to go out. Likewise, I don't think all slaves were abused. Most were treated with at least a little respect. I imagine some of them developed likable relationships with their owners. Yes, some slave owners were abusive to them but I think through the media we are led to believe many were hung from a tree for something as little as looking cross-eyed at the plantation owner's daughter. Maybe they were, but I think higher of the basic human spirit. Does this make me a racist or as TMP put it so succinctly, a Piece Of Shit? Think what makes you happy or think what makes you angry.

FWIW, a friend of ours, a neighboring Black lady, lost her 8 month battle to breast cancer just last month. Jacque Watson was her name. She never told anyone but her daughter living in Bloomington of her condition and with the Covid hitting, we lost a lot of social contact but my wife kept communicating with her, never knowing of her rapidly deteriorating condition. We used to party together, even attending a couple IU football games, tailgating on the grassy knolls south of the stadium. She was a big IU fan. Last night with a bonfire and the full Harvest Moon rising above the valley, a small group of us saluted her as we felt her spirit. So when so many gang up on me as being a racist for saying the blanket statements, "slaves were happy to be there" or "slaves boarded the boat willingly", when that's not what I said, I don't question what's wrong with me for thinking some might have, but what's wrong with them for thinking it's impossible, which to them qualifies me as some lowly racist piece of shit. Perhaps it helps them think better about themselves, but that's okay...for them.

You are what you think you are. The miracle of life is a beautiful thing to see, for whatever was and ever will be, is now becoming. It's getting better all the time.

My advice to you is to either spend significant time and effort to learn about history and racism or stop sharing your ignorance.

I don't know much about the slavery issue, much like the American Indian issue, other than what little I've read or seen on TV or the movies through the years...like most other people. I made the decision at a late point in my life, to believe what I want to believe. Why believe the worst in people, things that brings down the human spirit?

One of the things I believe is that not all slaves were abused. Some might have had pretty good lives, relatively speaking, compared to the shit-hole conditions they were accustomed to in Africa. I've read that when slavery was abolished, some slaves chose to remain there. They didn't all flee en masse, running in the opposite direction. I also like to think that there might have been some Africans who boarded the boats willingly, without kicking and screaming. I imagine it to be relatively few, but I think it's possible. Is it true? I don't know and it doesn't matter because it's only what I choose to think.

You need to educate yourself more. It seems like you have a lot of time on your hands do so.

I would agree you could think those things and not be racists. However, it doesn't save you from ignorance and prejudice.

He needs to quit doubling down on it.
How does ignorance and prejudice come into play? Bottom line here is Blacks sold Blacks into slavery and it’s not any better today in Africa!

How does ignorance and prejudice come into play? Bottom line here is Blacks sold Blacks into slavery and it’s not any better today in Africa!

There is no question Africans were sold by other Africans, and there is no question almost every culture that rose to prominence in a region relied upon slavery. It doesn't mean there were good qualities to it, and if there were some who stupidly went on the boats willingly, it wasn't enough to make it more than a footnote in the hundreds of years of US slavery or the thousands of years of worldwide slavery.

Even as he says not all slaves left when they were freed. True, but have you heard of the Stockholm Syndrome? All that means they've been conditioned to the point of thinking their lives are better where they are.

Slaves wanting to stay on their plantations with their masters has an element of fear to it. It's the fear laid down over generations to be a freed black slave is to be a target, where the only level of accountability is a legal system that has spent those same generations delegitimizing them. Their main sense of value was being someone's property, where the level of accountability was provided by their owners. Nothing about that is good.

Nothing about that is good especially when you consider how much people still work to keep down minority races in this country. (Not that we're alone in that regard as a nation.) It is a baseline to this country we're still working to overcome.

To persist is ignorant, prejudiced or just plain stupid. Take your pick which. He's made it clear he believes what he wants to believe, so he's admitting prejudice, which he is basing on his admitted ignorance. You can keep defending him, if you want, but that just lumps you into it too.

Reactions: MrBing

You are what you think you are. The miracle of life is a beautiful thing to see, for whatever was and ever will be, is now becoming. It's getting better all the time.
This is a hot mess.

There is no question Africans were sold by other Africans, and there is no question almost every culture that rose to prominence in a region relied upon slavery. It doesn't mean there were good qualities to it, and if there were some who stupidly went on the boats willingly, it wasn't enough to make it more than a footnote in the hundreds of years of US slavery or the thousands of years of worldwide slavery.

Even as he says not all slaves left when they were freed. True, but have you heard of the Stockholm Syndrome? All that means they've been conditioned to the point of thinking their lives are better where they are.

Slaves wanting to stay on their plantations with their masters has an element of fear to it. It's the fear laid down over generations to be a freed black slave is to be a target, where the only level of accountability is a legal system that has spent those same generations delegitimizing them. Their main sense of value was being someone's property, where the level of accountability was provided by their owners. Nothing about that is good.

Nothing about that is good especially when you consider how much people still work to keep down minority races in this country. (Not that we're alone in that regard as a nation.) It is a baseline to this country we're still working to overcome.

To persist is ignorant, prejudiced or just plain stupid. Take your pick which. He's made it clear he believes what he wants to believe, so he's admitting prejudice, which he is basing on his admitted ignorance. You can keep defending him, if you want, but that just lumps you into it too.
I am not defending him, there nothing to defend, he stated a fact that getting on a boat and being a slave in America was better than the conditions in Africa! I know for a fact you don’t know what those africans life’s were like! Your biggest challenge is how to maneuver a roundabout!

I am not defending him, there nothing to defend, he stated a fact that getting on a boat and being a slave in America was better than the conditions in Africa! I know for a fact you don’t know what those africans life’s were like! Your biggest challenge is how to maneuver a roundabout!

This post needs to be deleted. It defames the site. And that is saying a lot.

Reactions: Circlejoe
I've always been a positive person, even to the point of telling many people through the years that I've been blessed with a happiness gene, if there even is one.

Hmmm...you don't sound like a very positive person.
It’s easy for Whimp McRobbie to act tough guy when the one he accuses of racism is no longer here to defend his research, most of which was conducted after he left IU. Get off your pompous high horse, McRobbie. You’ve accomplished nothing here at IU if this proves to be your last act of recognition. Mitch Daniels has it all over your sorry ass. How many buildings has Mitch renamed just to please his liberal base?

Seems like it probably would have been a good idea to start and stop your posting on the subject with this:
I don't know much about the slavery issue,

There's no sin in not knowing much about a topic. The trouble starts when you don't but talk a lot about it like you do. ;)

You need to educate yourself more. It seems like you have a lot of time on your hands do so.
That "time on my hands" you speak of in a veiled sense of jealousy, I've earned it after 10 years of post HS education, plus 32 years "slaving in the field", so to speak. It allowed me to retire earlier than others. What's gotten you so educated that allows you so much time here, spewing such important matters.

Hmmm...you don't sound like a very positive person.
Positivity lies in the mind of the beholder.

Seems like it probably would have been a good idea to start and stop your posting on the subject with this:
For admitting I don't know much about slavery, did you know that Thomas Jefferson had over 600 slaves, though his years? At one time he had 140 residing with him on "the hill" at Monticello. A lot of them were probably taught the art of landscaping his beautiful gardens. This knowledge was probably passed down to some of their offspring, who were able to utilize these skills after emancipation while being able to start living in "The Land of The Free". This is what I meant when I said, "some slaves were treated better than others, not all being flogged for that cross-eyed look of lust".

There's no sin in not knowing much about a topic. The trouble starts when you don't but talk a lot about it like you do. ;)
Hey, a man has to start somewhere. It might as well be starting like I do. Maybe I'll talk like I do when I really don't, but fool you when I do. It works for a lot of people is how I like to think, right or wrong. Does it work for you, too?

This post needs to be deleted. It defames the site. And that is saying a lot.
I always thought the Water Cooler was the one place where anything could be talked in however manner. It was designed to eliminate a lot of the riffraff conversation taking away from the really important topics of life, the various IU sports.

They have these things called books. Read one.

That "time on my hands" you speak of in a veiled sense of jealousy, I've earned it after 10 years of post HS education, plus 32 years "slaving in the field", so to speak. It allowed me to retire earlier than others. What's gotten you so educated that allows you so much time here, spewing such important matters.

I have plenty of time on my hands too, so I'm not jealous. You just need to yours to read up on some slavery. The "I don't know much about it" and "believe what I want to believe" combination makes you look incredibly inept.

Congrats on retiring early. What was it like to work for someone else?

Reactions: UncleMark
I always thought the Water Cooler was the one place where anything could be talked in however manner. It was designed to eliminate a lot of the riffraff conversation taking away from the really important topics of life, the various IU sports.
I've reported maybe 1 or 2 posts in my history here. And I don't have anyone on ignore.

Lucy's post suggesting Africans were better off as slaves is not something worth talking about, IMO. She took your bad post a few steps further.

Hey, a man has to start somewhere. It might as well be starting like I do. Maybe I'll talk like I do when I really don't, but fool you when I do. It works for a lot of people is how I like to think, right or wrong. Does it work for you, too?

Understanding what you don't know is a great place to start. That works for me. Not expressing opinions on things I don't know much about works for me. Acknowledging that you aren't a very happy or positive person is unfortunate, but also works for me. I hope that turns around for you.

It is, and while I'm not here that much, you seem to conflate with your ability to post and express yourself with the notion that anything you write is to be respected. It's certainly not a requirement. It's not even compelled. I'm not even sure it's expected.

You will find out that these lower than average lawyers on the Cooler, that racist is their go to word to try to win an augment!
Some people have found ways to use racism to their advantage, such that it makes them wealthier. They would be disappointed if racism ever went away. There's a reason so many lawyer jokes have been told compared to other occupations (outside the diggings of Proctology, with a "hole" lot of them).

Some people have found ways to use racism to their advantage, such that it makes them wealthier. They would be disappointed if racism ever went away. There's a reason so many lawyer jokes have been told compared to other occupations (outside the diggings of Proctology, with a "hole" lot of them).
That sounds like the ol' "They said blah blah blah" stupidity that our IPOTUS often tries to pass of as fact.

Who are "they"?

There's something I've always wondered regarding minorities. In Africa, let's say, Whites and other races live as a minority in mostly Black Africa. Do African nations have similar laws in their countries for minorities, like we have with in our country that creates advantages to minorities, so that they won't be denied equal opportunity when living in a given country as a minority race? Are businesses there pressured to fulfill a certain number of positions of employment or such things as seats on a Board of Directors for minority races, like is done in America? Are Whites discriminated against in Mombasa, Kenya with unprovoked police shootings by Black officers and longer sentences for relatively minor offenses being posed by Black judges there?

I know South Africa with a history of Apartheid is the one country of exception. In 1971, I ate South African lobster tail for dinner on Thanksgiving Day in Cape Town, South Africa while bathed in the shadow of Table Mountain. Having accomplished that, makes me an expert in absolutely nothing, so I ask.

That sounds like the ol' "They said blah blah blah" stupidity that our IPOTUS often tries to pass of as fact.

Who are "they"?
"They" are the lawyers who defend those crying racism against their employers or those trying to get hired by these employers. Does that answer find you with greater clarity of vision?

Reactions: Lucy01
There's something I've always wondered regarding minorities. In Africa, let's say, Whites and other races live as a minority in mostly Black Africa. Do African nations have similar laws in their countries for minorities, like we have with in our country that creates advantages to minorities, so that they won't be denied equal opportunity when living in a given country as a minority race? Are businesses there pressured to fulfill a certain number of positions of employment or such things as seats on a Board of Directors for minority races, like is done in America? Are Whites discriminated against in Mombasa, Kenya with unprovoked police shootings by Black officers and longer sentences for relatively minor offenses being posed by Black judges there?

Oh gee...let's just say yes so we can read your response.

It is, and while I'm not here that much, you seem to conflate with your ability to post and express yourself with the notion that anything you write is to be respected. It's certainly not a requirement. It's not even compelled. I'm not even sure it's expected.
I believe I expressed myself once, in not more, regarding what I post, but maybe it was Facebook and not Hoosier.com. A seventh grade English teacher once told me not to write like everyone else. She said after reading 30 papers, they all sound alike so distinguish yourself by saying things in a different way than what might be expected. I took her words to heart. I think what she meant was to make an attempt to standout, to draw attention to yourself, otherwise you sound as boring in "blah, blah, blah" as everyone else. I'll often seek a different angle to a given topic, ie. some Africans might have been lured onto the boat with a sense of adventure into the unknown...a chance to go to this distant land they read about, America. Hell, I don't really know but I suppose it's possible. I wasn't there and neither were you so that doesn't make one right and one wrong. Haters might call some of my thoughts "trolling" while others might dismiss it as a bit quirkiness...a weird way of thinking that hurts absolutely no one. It's what you think it is to you only with no harm done. It certainly doesn't make me a turd of shit in my mind, as TMP thinks it does in his mind. He even made me a special kind of shit...an ignorant, racist piece of shit. I can live with mere words if he can.

Oh gee...let's just say yes so we can read your response.
Is there something I'm missing here....something to do other than read responses? Without responses you wouldn't have the distinction of "Moderator". Damn, I wish I had that one on my resume (pronounced rez-zoo-may) of life-it might get me laid.

I know South Africa with a history of Apartheid is the one country of exception. In 1971, I ate South African lobster tail for dinner on Thanksgiving Day in Cape Town, South Africa while bathed in the shadow of Table Mountain. Having accomplished that, makes me an expert in absolutely nothing, so I ask.

This might help you understand the role of minorities in Africa:
Colonisation of Africa

I believe I expressed myself once, in not more, regarding what I post, but maybe it was Facebook and not Hoosier.com. A seventh grade English teacher once told me not to write like everyone else. She said after reading 30 papers, they all sound alike so distinguish yourself by saying things in a different way than what might be expected. I took her words to heart. I think what she meant was to make an attempt to standout, to draw attention to yourself, otherwise you sound as boring in "blah, blah, blah" as everyone else. I'll often seek a different angle to a given topic, ie. some Africans might have been lured onto the boat with a sense of adventure into the unknown...a chance to go to this distant land they read about, America. Hell, I don't really know but I suppose it's possible. I wasn't there and neither were you so that doesn't make one right and one wrong. Haters might call some of my thoughts "trolling" while others might dismiss it as a bit quirkiness...a weird way of thinking that hurts absolutely no one. It's what you think it is to you only with no harm done. It certainly doesn't make me a turd of shit in my mind, as TMP thinks it does in his mind. He even made me a special kind of shit...an ignorant, racist piece of shit. I can live with mere words if he can.
So bottom line is you say outrageous shit to get attention. Sounds about right.

I believe I expressed myself once, in not more, regarding what I post, but maybe it was Facebook and not Hoosier.com. A seventh grade English teacher once told me not to write like everyone else. She said after reading 30 papers, they all sound alike so distinguish yourself by saying things in a different way than what might be expected. I took her words to heart. I think what she meant was to make an attempt to standout, to draw attention to yourself, otherwise you sound as boring in "blah, blah, blah" as everyone else. I'll often seek a different angle to a given topic, ie. some Africans might have been lured onto the boat with a sense of adventure into the unknown...a chance to go to this distant land they read about, America. Hell, I don't really know but I suppose it's possible. I wasn't there and neither were you so that doesn't make one right and one wrong. Haters might call some of my thoughts "trolling" while others might dismiss it as a bit quirkiness...a weird way of thinking that hurts absolutely no one. It's what you think it is to you only with no harm done. It certainly doesn't make me a turd of shit in my mind, as TMP thinks it does in his mind.

I'm glad at some point someone considered you to be a good writer. Like anything it's a skill, and a skill which can be lost over time. I don't believe your seventh grade English teacher wanted you to speak ignorantly on a subject, especially one as sensitive as slavery. Writing ignorantly on a subject isn't a way to standout, but at this point we're really just seeing how far down the rabbit hole you'll go.

Africans were definitely lured onto boats. They weren't sold slavery. They were sold a new world.

You're not equipped for this discussion.

I'm glad at some point someone considered you to be a good writer. Like anything it's a skill, and a skill which can be lost over time. I don't believe your seventh grade English teacher wanted you to speak ignorantly on a subject, especially one as sensitive as slavery. Writing ignorantly on a subject isn't a way to standout, but at this point we're really just seeing how far down the rabbit hole you'll go.

Africans were definitely lured onto boats. They weren't sold slavery. They were sold a new world.

The understanding, Empathy and superiority complex live loud in you.

His numbers make him about my age, if he's this clueless at 60ish his window of opportunity to learn is probably closed.
I was a Zoology major at IU, more interested in understanding other life forms than Homo sapiens. Other life forms hold more fascination to me than the frailties of the human condition. It is what it is, “is” not being sure.

It was my ignorance that kept Mrs Lewis from giving me an “A” for my effort, but at least it was a “B” that stood out from all the other ignorant “B’s”.

It was my ignorance that kept Mrs Lewis from giving me an “A” for my effort, but at least it was a “B” that stood out from all the other ignorant “B’s”.
5858b4d598dee9e2a376c8454b369477.gif

I'm not trying to understand or empathize with his point of view on this, so I'm glad the condescension is easy to spot.

Now go away, Marge Schott.

I would love to go away. Make your profile so I can hide you please.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT