ADVERTISEMENT

IU/MSU Predictions

Comparing last's years results and the difference in each team this year IU should win. Looking at teams and how they played MSU, IU should win. Therefore: 35 IU 14 MSU.

Reactions: ESalum86
I'm gonna defer for now. What do you guys think?
Sigh...I honestly have a bad feeling about this game, but that could be a result of a lifetime of watching us fail in these situations. The best case scenario, as opposed to us whipping Sparty by 3 scores, would actually be we find a way to win a close, hard fought game, late. That's what we need to learn how to do, win loseable games. That would serve us better than winning easily. Who am I kidding though, I'll take any win by any score, by any means.

Sigh...I honestly have a bad feeling about this game, but that could be a result of a lifetime of watching us fail in these situations. The best case scenario, as opposed to us whipping Sparty by 3 scores, would actually be we find a way to win a close, hard fought game, late. That's what we need to learn how to do, win loseable games. That would serve us better than winning easily. Who am I kidding though, I'll take any win by any score, by any means.
I cant even respond like normal even with a light jab...sad

This is the kind of thing that makes me crazy. A lead story on espn.com this morning, "Which Teams Most Need to Rally in Week 4" includes (not surprisingly) Michigan State among the "most needy," but here's the part of the piece I'm talking about:

"The Spartans entered the season at No. 11 in the preseason Associated Press poll, and while they might not be a legitimate CFP contender, the rest of the Big Ten could benefit from its ranked teams staying ranked by the committee. A loss to IU on Saturday would be another dent in the league's depth, and it would absolutely eliminate any long-shot odds of Michigan State flirting with the top four."

I know it's only one person's (the writer's) view, but she's not alone in this thinking. I think this relates to (and reinforces) what other posters have argued in other threads that there are forces in play for maintaining the status quo (and, accordingly, the power structure) in the Big Ten.

I, frankly, don't give two sh*ts about how many B1G teams are ranked. I want to see IU succeed and move toward the upper echelon of the conference, and I don't want to see the zebras getting in the way. Fantasy, perhaps. Go IU!

This is the kind of thing that makes me crazy. A lead story on espn.com this morning, "Which Teams Most Need to Rally in Week 4" includes (not surprisingly) Michigan State among the "most needy," but here's the part of the piece I'm talking about:

"The Spartans entered the season at No. 11 in the preseason Associated Press poll, and while they might not be a legitimate CFP contender, the rest of the Big Ten could benefit from its ranked teams staying ranked by the committee. A loss to IU on Saturday would be another dent in the league's depth, and it would absolutely eliminate any long-shot odds of Michigan State flirting with the top four."

I know it's only one person's (the writer's) view, but she's not alone in this thinking. I think this relates to (and reinforces) what other posters have argued in other threads that there are forces in play for maintaining the status quo (and, accordingly, the power structure) in the Big Ten.

I, frankly, don't give two sh*ts about how many B1G teams are ranked. I want to see IU succeed and move toward the upper echelon of the conference, and I don't want to see the zebras getting in the way. Fantasy, perhaps. Go IU!

It's a certainty that a some point in the game at least one ref will attempt to give the perceived league $ maker the "competitive edge" (that's Delaneys man), at least one more ref will at some point attempt to influence "the spread" (that's the mob), and then there's the wild card ref that the big spender "State Men" have to paid off "just in case".

That doesn't mean we can't beat these "gentlemen", it just means it's going to be that much harder...

All the sweeter the "W" when we get it. ;)

If we play well enough, not even the refs can steal it from us!

It's a certainty that a some point in the game at least one ref will attempt to give the perceived league $ maker the "competitive edge" (that's Delaneys man), at least one more ref will at some point attempt to influence "the spread" (that's the mob), and then there's the wild card ref that the big spender "State Men" have to paid off "just in case".

That doesn't mean we can't beat these "gentlemen", it just means it's going to be that much harder...

All the sweeter the "W" when we get it. ;)

If we play well enough, not even the refs can steal it from us!
*eye roll* ugh how can you be so delusional as to believe this crap? That there’s some conspiracy theory against us? Such a pathetic excuse.

Every player has to win their battles and we have to make plays. Simple as that. We can win tonight, but players and coaches can’t make mistakes. The refs have nothing to do with it.

Might be best to wait and see how the game is called before you make that declaration.
There’s not an intentional conspiracy. Every game both teams get some questionable to bad calls. It won’t decide who wins.

You either didn't watch the 4th quarter from the 10:30 mark on when we played them up there last fall or you didn't have any idea what you were looking at.

The Center Judge completely influenced the outcome of the game by not calling multiple obvious holds on or guys (arms outstretched, pulling the jersey off the shoulder pads type of holds...).

The bitter irony there was that that ref position was supposedly added to prevent those type of holds being missed...

You either didn't watch the 4th quarter from the 10:30 mark on when we played them up there last fall or you didn't have any idea what you were looking at.

The Center Judge completely influenced the outcome of the game by not calling multiple obvious holds on or guys (arms outstretched, pulling the jersey off the shoulder pads type of holds...).

The bitter irony there was that that ref position was supposedly added to prevent those type of holds being missed...
After 50 years of disappointment, I still like my Hoosiers. 31-27

Reactions: Kelly_32
Iowa foot drag T.D. reversed in the booth when they were undefeated and we were giving them the business at their place.
Mic drop. It’s bullshit and we’ll se it tonight. I just hope we overcome and break through.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: IUgradman
Iowa foot drag T.D. reversed in the booth when they were undefeated and we were giving them the business at their place.
Mic drop. It’s bullshit and we’ll se it tonight. I just hope we overcome and break through.
Go Hoosiers!
My personal favorite is the 2015 game against #1 Ohio State. Last play of the game, we're down by 7, 4th and goal, Zander throws a nice pass to Jones in the end zone who is clearly held by Eli Apple. Joey Bosa also put a hard late hit on Diamont. Of course, neither was called.

I'm not alleging a conspiracy against IU. But there is absolutely a bias (conscious or subconscious) in favor of the big boys in the conference, and it's not hard to figure out why.

My personal favorite is the 2015 game against #1 Ohio State. Last play of the game, we're down by 7, 4th and goal, Zander throws a nice pass to Jones in the end zone who is clearly held by Eli Apple. Joey Bosa also put a hard late hit on Diamont. Of course, neither was called.

I'm not alleging a conspiracy against IU. But there is absolutely a bias (conscious or subconscious) in favor of the big boys in the conference, and it's not hard to figure out why.
So do you think the BIG office tells officials to do this or do officials just do it themselves even though they have no financial interest whatsoever? Who wins doesn’t matter to them. Please break down how this works?

So do you think the BIG office tells officials to do this or do officials just do it themselves even though they have no financial interest whatsoever? Who wins doesn’t matter to them. Please break down how this works?
This is how it works.

"Do officials paid by the top NCAA conferences slant their calls - - even if only unconsciously - - to help their employers' top teams? New research suggests the answer is yes."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-01/do-college-football-refs-have-it-in-for-your-team

Reactions: 76-1
This is how it works.

"Do officials paid by the top NCAA conferences slant their calls - - even if only unconsciously - - to help their employers' top teams? New research suggests the answer is yes."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-01/do-college-football-refs-have-it-in-for-your-team
No, that is how one guy with an agenda alleges it works, based on a predetermined outcome and criteria that allowed him to reach the conclusion he sought.

Officiating, given the human element involved, is imperfect. But the narrative that it’s stacked against certain teams has no valid basis.

Reactions: fpeaugh
The fact that it's imperfect, which is what you stated, Larry, certainly leads officiating to possibly be corrupt. This guy did not make up this article, it's all in the numbers that he laid out.

No, that is how one guy with an agenda alleges it works, based on a predetermined outcome and criteria that allowed him to reach the conclusion he sought.

Officiating, given the human element involved, is imperfect. But the narrative that it’s stacked against certain teams has no valid basis.
Classic fallacious argument. If you can't credibly challenge the empirical evidence (you can't), try to delegitimize the guy who did the work, or question the methodology. Please explain how the methodology was flawed (I'm not holding my breath).

The researcher spent more than a year reviewing 39,000 officiating calls that were made over four seasons. What do you got?

This really shouldn't be so hard to understand, Larry. College football is big business. Of course the P5 conferences want to be represented in the CFP at season's end. As the article indicated, it's a financial bonanza. And the refs know which side their bread is buttered on. They want to keep getting their Saturday gigs.

The fact that it's imperfect, which is what you stated, Larry, certainly leads officiating to possibly be corrupt. This guy did not make up this article, it's all in the numbers that he laid out.
But he admitted his personal bias is what caused to look for the outcome he received. It’s not scientific nor really very compelling because he had a rooting interest in a particular result.

Classic fallacious argument. If you can't credibly challenge the empirical evidence (you can't), try to delegitimize the guy who did the work, or question the methodology. Please explain how the methodology was flawed (I'm not holding my breath).

The researcher spent more than a year reviewing 39,000 officiating calls that were made over four seasons. What do you got?

This really shouldn't be so hard to understand, Larry. College football is big business. Of course the P5 conferences want to be represented in the CFP at season's end. As the article indicated, it's a financial bonanza. And the refs know which side their bread is buttered on. They want to keep getting their Saturday gigs.
He began his “research” with an admitted bias and then admitted he wanted to prove what he suspected (which was borne of a perceived bad call). He then looked for only certain data that supported what he believed, dismissing all else. He sought out no experts in the field to help him craft a legitimate study, determining instead what he and only he considered “discretionary” calls. Had this study been conducted in an academic or medical setting, it would’ve been bounced immediately because of all the ways that it comes up short. In the “blame the refs” culture perpetuated by some, it’s catnip.

But he admitted his personal bias is what caused to look for the outcome he received. It’s not scientific nor really very compelling because he had a rooting interest in a particular result.
You're wrong, Larry. He sympathized with Aggie fans (he did his doctoral studies at A&M) and his annoyance with "fans whining about refs without any empirical evidence" is what initially piqued his interest, but the study is entirely scientific. He presented his preliminary findings to MIT and then refined the research in response to criticism he received from, surprise!, the NCAA's Coordinator for Football Officiating. He obtained his raw data from a third party and the criteria used were entirely objective. Read the description of the methodology again. It's science.

You can have the last word on this because, after all, you always must, but you're simply wrong and have nothing credible to refute this with.

You're wrong, Larry. He sympathized with Aggie fans (he did his doctoral studies at A&M) and his annoyance with "fans whining about refs without any empirical evidence" is what initially piqued his interest, but the study is entirely scientific. He presented his preliminary findings to MIT and then refined the research in response to criticism he received from, surprise!, the NCAA's Coordinator for Football Officiating. He obtained his raw data from a third party and the criteria used were entirely objective. Read the description of the methodology again. It's science.

You can have the last word on this because, after all, you always must, but you're simply wrong and have nothing credible to refute this with.
As I said, it’s catnip to people who whine about officiating, but it’s neither science or credible. There’s a reason he received the criticism he did.

I found it to be interesting information that he dug up. Is it 100% accurate, no, it's not. I've watched sports my entire life and to sit here and act like officiating has no bearing on the outcome of these games is being dishonest.

His research was conducted because of his interest in the Texas A&M football program and what he perceived to be poor officiating when they played the Texas Longhorns. His research certainly shines a bright light on the Big Ten officiating crews and their history of clearly siding with the Vegas favorite. I thought it was interesting how the SEC, which is usually perceived to be a dirty conference, somehow had officiating that did not cower to the big shots.

I found it to be interesting information that he dug up. Is it 100% accurate, no, it's not. I've watched sports my entire life and to sit here and act like officiating has no bearing on the outcome of these games is being dishonest.

His research was conducted because of his interest in the Texas A&M football program and what he perceived to be poor officiating when they played the Texas Longhorns. His research certainly shines a bright light on the Big Ten officiating crews and their history of clearly siding with the Vegas favorite. I thought it was interesting how the SEC, which is usually perceived to be a dirty conference, somehow had officiating that did not cower to the big shots.
Love the SEC reference. Look at fan support in the SEC. Top to Bottom they have the biggest attendance. All their teams have taken turns being good. They know from history their team has a shot. Look at the B1G. Bottom teams don't feel they have a fair shot and the traditional big boys have an advantage. Karma's a bitch. B1G needs to get it's act together and stop favoring. They are really just screwing themselves. Short sided. All winning teams can bring in the cash.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: td75
The Big Ten has kept teams like Indiana down for too long. We can quickly and easily come up with a compilation video of games against the so called big boys where IU is clearly crapped on by the officials. Mallory was even fined AND suspended one year after a hose job up at Michigan where he blew his top to the media afterwards.

Here's the deal, if a top ten ranked Michigan goes on the road to a Minnesota or to an Indiana, the lower ranked team should have a realistic chance to win in a tight game without biased officiating from the Big Ten's crews.

I wish someone would take the time and expertise to do a compilation video of bullshit calls that have cost IU games versus the big boys. It would be an interesting video.

The Big Ten has kept teams like Indiana down for too long. We can quickly and easily come up with a compilation video of games against the so called big boys where IU is clearly crapped on by the officials. Mallory was even fined AND suspended one year after a hose job up at Michigan where he blew his top to the media afterwards.

Here's the deal, if a top ten ranked Michigan goes on the road to a Minnesota or to an Indiana, the lower ranked team should have a realistic chance to win in a tight game without biased officiating from the Big Ten's crews.

I wish someone would take the time and expertise to do a compilation video of bullshit calls that have cost IU games versus the big boys. It would be an interesting video.
That truly cost us games? It wouldn’t be very long...if you could even come up with any. These excuses are just part of a larger losing mentality. It makes us look bad and needs to go away.

That truly cost us games? It wouldn’t be very long...if you could even come up with any. These excuses are just part of a larger losing mentality. It makes us look bad and needs to go away.
The bias resides in each fan base. Every week and in every game, fans are certain that the officials are working against them. These complaints have existed for decades, and they’re endemic among a segment of each program’s supporters.

I wish someone would take the time and expertise to do a compilation video of bullshit calls that have cost IU games versus the big boys
Bullshit calls or no-calls. One example is a game I mentioned in the No. 60 post in this thread.

The bias resides in each fan base. Every week and in every game, fans are certain that the officials are working against them. These complaints have existed for decades, and they’re endemic among a segment of each program’s supporters.

There is also a segment of each fan base that will never defend their school, believe that everything its sports programs do is wrong and determine that if anything goes wrong, it is well-deserved. They also sometimes wear the suit below on the weekends. Have you met anyone like this?

Man-dressed-in-bondage-suit-found-tied-to-lamppost-on-high-street.jpg

Reactions: 76-1 and Rakkasan29
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT